Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author

BleedingTheOrchid
      Spectator

Will i get beat up for talking about how I think the song 33 from MCIS is about Jesus talking before his deatj the way U2’s Until the End of the World is about Judas talking to Jesus in the afterlife?

lol.

On smashingpumpkins.com I know I would be brutalized.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

Will i get beat up for talking about how I think the song 33 from MCIS is about Jesus talking before his deatj the way U2’s Until the End of the World is about Judas talking to Jesus in the afterlife?

lol.

On smashingpumpkins.com I know I would be brutalized.[/quote:1dxnaong]

Bring it!! I’ll listen…

toad32r
      Spectator

If you listen to the lyrics, i can see what you are saying. Thats not anything out of the possible. It actually adds a new vision to the song that i never thought of. GOOD LISTENIN’ !!

CaptJack
      Spectator

speak to me in a language i can hear (not sure about this part, but I have theories)
      humour me before i have to go (asking for people to listen to him while he is still around)
      deep in thought i forgive everyone (Jesus forgives, and in the garden of Gethsemane he prayed alone)
      as the cluttered streets greet me once again (Palm Sunday?)
      i know i can’t be late, supper’s waiting on the table (his deatj is prophesized andhe can’t change it, and refers to the last supper)
      tomorrow’s just an excuse away (he prays to God to \"take this cup from my hands\" and asks that he not be killed. All he needs as a man is to think up and excuse and not allow himself to be killed)
      so I pull my collar up and face the cold, on my own (the apostles were told to leave Jesus alone the night before by Jesus himself)
      the earth laughs beneath my heavy feet (Jesus was God and man, the only such \"heavy feet\" on the planet, which did his bidding: water to wine, stopping storms, raising the dead, and laughs in joy?)
      at the blasphemy in my old jangly walk (the religious leaders considered Jesus a blasphemer, and he died at 33, 3 years after he began his ministry. Jangly just means he was awkward and not cool. Jesus was a hippy compared to the elite after all)
      steeple guide me to my heart and home (reference to church and the sacred heart and heaven)
      the sun is out and up and down again (3 days and then rises from the dead)
      i know i’ll make it, love can last forever (giving hope. Love and light in these songs and U2 refer to God, as in Every Light I found is every light that’s shining from above.)
      graceful swans of never topple to the earth (swans mate for life)
      and you can make it last, forever you (Jesus grants eternal life)
      you can make it last, forever you
      and for a moment i lose myself
      wrapped up in the pleasures of the world
      i’ve journeyed here and there and back again (here and there and back again meaning the afterlife and rising from the dead?)
      but in the same old haunts i still find my friends (after Jesus died, his apostles hid in the upper room, fearing the authorities, When they heard rumors of him coming back they became more fearful, almost as if he would be a ghost when he came to them)
      mysteries not ready to reveal (Jesus/God would know more than all of us combined, and won’t reveal more until the end/new beginning)
      sympathies i’m ready to return (Jesus preached love for all, and helps those who believe in his death/resurrection)
      i’ll make the effort, love can last forever (By his efforts alone Jesus provided salvation, grants eternal life and heals all wounds, forgives all sins.)
      graceful swans of never topple to the earth
      tomorrow’s just an excuse
      and you can make it last, forever you
      you can make it last, forever you

Am i Stretching it? Let me know.

Just please don’t flame me, LOL.

toad32r
      Spectator

My favorite line in 33 is \" So i pull my collar up and face the cold, on my own\". Just has a good vibe to it.

toad32r
      Spectator

I dont think your stretching it….first of all, it fits the idea of the song quite well. Secondly, look at Zwan’s \" Ride the Black Swan\". The feeling of belief, or faith influence in BC’s writing can be seen even earlier in songs back to MCIS, even Gish if you look for them. I think BC has always had some kind of faith being brought across in the lyrics. Like i said in another post, i just never really saw it in 33 until you brought it to my attention.

Satur999
      Spectator

i didnt know swans mate for life…
      captn it sounds good… if that was the intention of the song do you think billy would ever admit it… and do you think he tells the whole truth when he answers questions about what songs are about?

manillascissor
      Keymaster

CaptJack

I’ve never really paid close attention to Billy’s lyrics. I just don’t do well in the analysis department, I’m afraid. But what you just posted is pretty incredible, I think. Again, another thing I know little about is the Bible, however, I knew about the 33 connection. That is an obvious clue. Thanks for taking it a step further. I never really thought about the lyrics in that respect.

toad32r
      Spectator

Lets see what other songs we can find that might have a similar feel.

CaptJack
      Spectator

I think he keeps the lyrics vague on purpose so that he doesn’t tell you what to think, even though he has a reason behind writing them.

Lennnon, Dylan & Bono do the same.

And Bono never talks openly about his faith to members of the press because they warp his words.

It is better to let the people figure it out for themselves.

Am i Stretching it? Let me know.

Just please don’t flame me, LOL.[/quote:2c5mn2zf]

Hmm…I never thought of the song in that way or made the connection to the story of Christ…but it actually makes a bit of sense. There are several parallels that exist between the song and the story. I don’t think it’s stretching it: if anything it shows your (extensive) knowledge of the Bible. Interesting, indeed! :wink:

toad32r
      Spectator

HAHAHAHA….I turned 33 yesterday!!!!

HAHAHAHA….I turned 33 yesterday!!!![/quote:kocuhqj1] congrats :) did you have a revelation whereby the song ’33’ suddenly took a new meaning, and you understand and can relate to every word of it? :lol:

toad32r
      Spectator

Actually, the first thing i thought of when i realized i was going to be 33, was \"the song 33\". Maybe i should listen to it everyday the whole year…lol

can i say something here? not to flame anybody but to me the magic of a song goes beyond the text and its explanation so im not so much interested in doing that or reading about it. but go ahead im not stopping ya of course. but i just listen and get into it and not trying to explain it. anyway keep on posting it might be intresting after all right

Viewing 14 reply threads

The forum ‘General’ is closed to new topics and replies.