Viewing 61 reply threads
  • Author

Arthur
      Spectator

here you go the new ep is coming in january! only on itunes grrrr :twisted:

ugh. don’t have itunes, don’t have credit card, gonna have to rely on someone uploading it and letting me d/l it for free :?

I’m annoyed about this…

toad32r
      Spectator

i got your back, man!

toad32r
      Spectator

Its being released in stores outside the US. Ill get em’ and ship if you guys need one. Let me know.(January 2nd) Friend can get em’

Thanks!

I’ll check and see if it’s gonna have a UK/EU release sometime, just to make sure :)

manillascissor
      Keymaster

I live in US. I can get anyone on here copies if they want. I wonder if I’ll download on iTunes. Probably not, I think I’ll wait for the actual release.

This is really cool of them. I mean, when the hell did the \"collective We\" pen and record these songs? Who are the collective We anyway?

hmm… aren’t the actual cds going to be released outside of the US? i think you are the one who should be getting a copy from someone else.

Who are the collective We anyway?[/quote:3fwp9dzc] Not just Billy Corgan :lol:

manillascissor
      Keymaster

hmm… aren’t the actual cds going to be released outside of the US? i think you are the one who should be getting a copy from someone else.[/quote:3ooc5brg]

Ok, well, IF this is released in the US, I’d be happy to make good on my offer. Seems all somewhat speculative at this point.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

Who are the collective We anyway?[/quote:1oavy0zw] Not just Billy Corgan :lol:[/quote:1oavy0zw]

BC/JC again or entire new group? Zeitgeist was not just Billy either, but curious about the involvement of two potential new members. Wondering if it will affect the music at all. Maybe it will be inconspicuous or subtle enough that no obvious difference is noted.

I do know one thing: we don’t have to wait long to find out!!!

Wikipedia says that it’ll get a physical international release.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_G … kins_EP%29

And we all know how reliable wikipedia is when it comes to speculated info. :roll:

BC/JC again or entire new group? Zeitgeist was not just Billy either, but curious about the involvement of two potential new members. Wondering if it will affect the music at all. Maybe it will be inconspicuous or subtle enough that no obvious difference is noted.[/quote:bv45nqof]

Personally i reckon it’s gonna be the whole group. Billy’s stress that it’s ‘We’ seems like it’s gonna be the group. He knows he has a reputation as a solo-artist-in-a-band approach to records, so by insisting that it’s ‘We’ not ‘I’ makes it seem to me that he’s involving the other members as well. Basically, he has his reputation, and needs to explicitly state that it’s not just him recording. Most bands don’t need to do this, but Billy does. Cuz of the reputation. I think I’m rambling.

Ok, well, IF this is released in the US, I’d be happy to make good on my offer. Seems all somewhat speculative at this point.[/quote:21tatkbl]nah, it’s all on sp.com

http://www.smashingpumpkins.com/news_2846

just read the title and you know enough. there’s more info in the rest of the article though.

In the U.S., iTunes is the exclusive retailer; elsewhere in the world, American Gothic will be available as a physical product at retail.[/quote:21tatkbl]

manillascissor
      Keymaster

Ok, well, IF this is released in the US, I’d be happy to make good on my offer. Seems all somewhat speculative at this point.[/quote:22a8pi95]nah, it’s all on sp.com

http://www.smashingpumpkins.com/news_2846

just read the title and you know enough. there’s more info in the rest of the article though.

In the U.S., iTunes is the exclusive retailer; elsewhere in the world, American Gothic will be available as a physical product at retail.[/quote:22a8pi95][/quote:22a8pi95]

That’s great information, but something tells me not to trust it. :?

But if it turns out that it truly is ONLY available on iTunes in the US, I’ll be pretty disappointed. I mean, how hard is it to make a US release? Why would they not release a physical release in the US? Not everyone likes/has iTunes…seems like a good way to disenchant a number of American fans. They’ve been good at that lately.

Arthur
      Spectator

My contact says it will hit the shelves here at the end of January 2008. It will be released on iTunes first.

lilkitn
      Spectator

Well, I’m pretty happy that album is available to us non US peeps. After all of the other Zeitgeist copies were only available in the US, I think it’s a good way to make it up to us. I had to get the special edition DVD off of Ebay because I couldn’t buy it in Canada… this is a nice change. I guess I’m just happy I wont have to buy it off of Ebay again. If someone asks nice, I can see if I can mail them a copy. :wink:

Kit’n

Why would they not release a physical release in the US?[/quote:27tul5jy]
      They have a deal with iTunes to release it as an iTunes exclusive. This means only iTunes can release it in the US.

I think that’s really stupid, but if you read that article, Billy says that "it just felt right"…

"I had written a bunch of material during the residencies in Asheville and San Francisco [earlier this year]," continues Billy, "and fans kept asking us if we were gonna put any of that stuff out. iTunes came to us wanting to do something together, so it just felt right."[/quote:27tul5jy]

Just like the exclusive Zeitgeist releases with bonus tracks: Billy doesn’t seem to think this is screwing over the fans who want all the extra songs, he thinks about it as if it’s a new and fresh thing to do in today’s music industry. (That’s what he says in one of those Zeitgeist interview videos. He’s talking about "what track will we give to what store") He’s completely lost it, if you ask me.

Tree_Spirit
      Spectator

Why would they not release a physical release in the US?[/quote:3n7nx2rf]
      They have a deal with iTunes to release it as an iTunes exclusive. This means only iTunes can release it in the US.

I think that’s really stupid, but if you read that article, Billy says that "it just felt right"…

"I had written a bunch of material during the residencies in Asheville and San Francisco [earlier this year]," continues Billy, "and fans kept asking us if we were gonna put any of that stuff out. iTunes came to us wanting to do something together, so it just felt right."[/quote:3n7nx2rf]

Just like the exclusive Zeitgeist releases with bonus tracks: Billy doesn’t seem to think this is screwing over the fans who want all the extra songs, he thinks about it as if it’s a new and fresh thing to do in today’s music industry. (That’s what he says in one of those Zeitgeist interview videos. He’s talking about "what track will we give to what store") He’s completely lost it, if you ask me.[/quote:3n7nx2rf]

I don’t really think Billy and the use of itunes and releasing music this way as *screwing over the fans*because he knows lot of Sp fan base is via the internet in the first place.There are some places in all honesty that pumpkins music dont reach.Only way to reach some fans are via the net.Like here,finding a smashing pumpkins album or songs is like finding a four leaf clover,it takes luck.I never really had a problem with release of music threw itunes.I rather it be released on itunes honestly,these are days of ipod’s and mp.3 player .My ipod holds 7500 songs,i would love them all to be Pumpkins songs..;P

Arthur
      Spectator

He’s completely lost it, if you ask me.[/quote:171v8s8s]
      Utterly disagree. It’s us that are losing it, when we can’t accept the fact that in history every now and then new platforms appear where musicians can release their songs. When Billy never tried the possibilities of the market, we would still be waiting till he came to visit our country to sell us his cassettes at a concert.

And we wouldn’t have Machina II for free, or Live Music Archive with hundreds of free concerts to download. A Smashing Pumpkins fan that wants it all, has all the possibilities today to get it all, quick and cheap, in many formats in the end. In this case of American Gothic we have to wait less than 1 month more to get it on CD. Come on! What about the Russians, the Arabs, the Africans and the Chinese that NEVER get any good popsongs of any band at all? That’s the real problem!

manillascissor
      Keymaster

He’s completely lost it, if you ask me.[/quote:jm35e9yr]
      Utterly disagree. It’s us that are losing it, when we can’t accept the fact that in history every now and then new platforms appear where musicians can release their songs. When Billy never tried the possibilities of the market, we would still be waiting till he came to visit our country to sell us his cassettes at a concert.

And we wouldn’t have Machina II for free, or Live Music Archive with hundreds of free concerts to download. A Smashing Pumpkins fan that wants it all, has all the possibilities today to get it all, quick and cheap, in many formats in the end. In this case of American Gothic we have to wait less than 1 month more to get it on CD. Come on! What about the Russians, the Arabs, the Africans and the Chinese that NEVER get any good popsongs of any band at all? That’s the real problem![/quote:jm35e9yr]

You make a good point Arthur, but the whole exclusive thing is what bothers me. If I didn’t collect internationally anyway, I’d have to download iTunes and use their interface just to get to music I wanted. If the collective We wants to release it this way, that’s fine. Seems to me like they could press, limited even, some US release to actually grab onto and hold in your hand.

I see it like this: release in US on CD/CS whatever, as you would normally. Just make it available on iTunes earlier or something. It’s the exclusivity that I don’t get.

Arthur
      Spectator

It’s the exclusivity that I don’t get.[/quote:3l6edcpx]
      What the f*ck is exclusivity in this modern world of Amazon, eBay, emailing your international friends to get it for you… It means nothing. And which dumb person has ever had the guts to put this word on a release that will be released 1 month later on CD anyway? And after all, don’t you collectors all love the UK vinyls of the Pumpkins afterwards? Me, being a CD only collector, is still missing the vinyl only extra tracks… (ahem, not really of course, but they were never released on official CD format anyway).

Lilkitn from outside the US says it just right: "I think it’s a good way to make it up to us.". But Billy was not thinking of Lilkitn when he decided to do iTunes first, then a CD for non-US residents. I’m sure he’s balancing the music he wants to bring out, together with the possibilities of the market and to give it this format(s) that he can still earn a few bucks. Which we all know is just a louzy amount of bucks these days. It’s the festivals, concerts and merchandise that gives the band a way of living, not those 600 types of Zeitgeist and a 1 month iTunes US-exclusive release of American Gothic.

Arthur
      Spectator

Why would Billy choose a title like \"American Gothic\" anyway?

manillascissor
      Keymaster

It’s the exclusivity that I don’t get.[/quote:x1tm7pux]
      What the f*ck is exclusivity in this modern world of Amazon, eBay, emailing your international friends to get it for you… It means nothing. And which dumb person has ever had the guts to put this word on a release that will be released 1 month later on CD anyway? And after all, don’t you collectors all love the UK vinyls of the Pumpkins afterwards? Me, being a CD only collector, is still missing the vinyl only extra tracks… (ahem, not really of course, but they were never released on official CD format anyway).

Lilkitn from outside the US says it just right: "I think it’s a good way to make it up to us.". But Billy was not thinking of Lilkitn when he decided to do iTunes first, then a CD for non-US residents. I’m sure he’s balancing the music he wants to bring out, together with the possibilities of the market and to give it this format(s) that he can still earn a few bucks. Which we all know is just a louzy amount of bucks these days. It’s the festivals, concerts and merchandise that gives the band a way of living, not those 600 types of Zeitgeist and a 1 month iTunes US-exclusive release of American Gothic.[/quote:x1tm7pux]

What’s exclusive about the release is that in the US you have to go to iTunes to get it. It’s corporate. It’s involving another layer of "someone gettin’ paid" to the music access. I don’t like it. Just release it on your own label and tell iTunes to fuck off. Why would I support iTunes, a program run by the same fucks who released the iPhone for $600 and then charge you $80 to replace the battery after 2 months. iTunes has it’s own file extensions, which I presume can be converted, but again, I have to support this "other company" first, and quite frankly, I don’t like iTunes. Do you see what I’m getting at?

It’s like the Eagles album that was released this year. They did an exclusive promotion through Walmart. Only place to get the album was there. Walmart pushes smaller business out of the way, they don’t pay their employees didly-squat, and they are homogenizing all the products they sell. They are corrupt. If SP released an album exclusively through Walmart, I wouldn’t buy it.

Reprise Records? Warner Music? Virgin? I have no problem with these companies. iTunes? It blows, and I don’t want to support it. And I feel that this American Gothic bullshit forces me to because I live in the US.

Arthur
      Spectator

Do you see what I’m getting at? <edit> iTunes? It blows, and I don’t want to support it. And I feel that this American Gothic bullshit forces me to because I live in the US.[/quote:34znd9mx]
      No, I don’t understand a single penny of it, sorry. You told us yourself you are happy living in the US, a FREE country. So you choose to either buy it, or don’t buy it and wait for the next option, knowing already now there IS a next option. Happy you, you could at least choose. Many cannot.

Remember the times in the 1980’s when the vinyl platform was changed to the CD platform? Did you buy 1 of the first CD players for 2,500 US$ just because you had seen this album that was only pressed on CD and was not pressed on vinyl anymore? Probably not.

Next thing is, releasing music the oldfashioned way (like vinyl or CD) is way more expensive in the end, compared to an iTunes download. You can see that already on the iTunes prices. There is not "another layer of "someone gettin’ paid" to the music access" with iTunes. It’s another platform, just that. When CDs are being pressed, they need a jewelcase, a booklet, some artwork. There needs to be moulds, empty CDs, personel to do the actual pressing, assembling, packing. Then they ship it to another place/country, to the importer/wholeseller. The importer re-sells it to the shops, and ships it again. Expensive! iTunes skips a lot of these layers. Less expensive (in the end, after the initial costs of development of this new platform are covered)!

Don’t get me wrong, I hate iTunes too, as I want to hold a CD and read the booklet and admire the artwork in my hands also. But that’s another reason as iTunes being corporate or being another layer. It’s not completely true, and the part of it that is true… it’s been like that with every change of platform. This a new century, a new era manillascissor, blow that dust from your brains and get used to it :P

What I meant is that Billy doesn’t make sense:
      – First he claims that he hates the music industry.
      – More recently, he states that he’s glad things are changing and that the typical record-release-and-promote-an-album routine is no longer the only way of releasing music.
      – And then, the exclusive releases pop up. What does he mean, alternate ways of releasing music? What has changed then? That there are five Zeitgeists now, instead of one? Seems just the same to me. And isn’t he helping the music industry here? Playing along with their game? \"It just felt right\"?

I also don’t really get it.

Arthur
      Spectator

And isn’t he helping the music industry here? Playing along with their game? "It just felt right"?

I also don’t really get it.[/quote:1d6sat1j]
      OK this makes sense. I agree with you, it would suit him better if he did the same as Prince.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

Do you see what I’m getting at? <edit> iTunes? It blows, and I don’t want to support it. And I feel that this American Gothic bullshit forces me to because I live in the US.[/quote:32yrddcn]
      No, I don’t understand a single penny of it, sorry. You told us yourself you are happy living in the US, a FREE country. So you choose to either buy it, or don’t buy it and wait for the next option, knowing already now there IS a next option. Happy you, you could at least choose. Many cannot.

Remember the times in the 1980’s when the vinyl platform was changed to the CD platform? Did you buy 1 of the first CD players for 2,500 US$ just because you had seen this album that was only pressed on CD and was not pressed on vinyl anymore? Probably not.

Next thing is, releasing music the oldfashioned way (like vinyl or CD) is way more expensive in the end, compared to an iTunes download. You can see that already on the iTunes prices. There is not "another layer of "someone gettin’ paid" to the music access" with iTunes. It’s another platform, just that. When CDs are being pressed, they need a jewelcase, a booklet, some artwork. There needs to be moulds, empty CDs, personel to do the actual pressing, assembling, packing. Then they ship it to another place/country, to the importer/wholeseller. The importer re-sells it to the shops, and ships it again. Expensive! iTunes skips a lot of these layers. Less expensive (in the end, after the initial costs of development of this new platform are covered)!

Don’t get me wrong, I hate iTunes too, as I want to hold a CD and read the booklet and admire the artwork in my hands also. But that’s another reason as iTunes being corporate or being another layer. It’s not completely true, and the part of it that is true… it’s been like that with every change of platform. This a new century, a new era manillascissor, blow that dust from your brains and get used to it :P[/quote:32yrddcn]

Again, I see your points Arthur, but it’s not the same. When vinyl converted over to CDs (after 8 tracks, cassettes, and laser discs), it’s agreed you had to then buy a CD player. That part is true. However, I, the consumer had my choice. I could buy Sony, Magnovox, Philips, JBC, Kenwood, etc. All the players were competing against each other. Which is better for the consumer. It was an even playing field as well, because in the end, I just need something to play a CD, nothing more. I could go with the player that made sounds out of the human hearing range, or get the cheapest POS on the market. Which company I went with was up to me. And I also had the choice to say, fuck it. Not buying another format. Vinyl or die!

But now I don’t. It’s iTunes or die! (Granted, I know it will be released elsewhere; but do all US fans know this?—-NO) For a majority of US fans, it’s use iTunes, or don’t get the music. Where’s the commercialism in that? Fuck that.

One more thing, I think we all recognize how cheaply CDs are made. Let’s not fool ourselves into thinking they don’t reap huge amounts of money by marking these fuckers up 1800%. Yes, record companies reap most of the profit, but they invest and absorb the advertising and promotion as well. You don’t think iTunes wanted this? You don’t think SP made a pretty penny on the deal? Wake up man. All they did was take out the middle man. And in the end, the fans are again FORCED to go to iTunes to get the music.

CAVEAT: Fans who live in US and don’t shop internationally – which I would assume, is the majority.

Arthur
      Spectator

You don’t think SP made a pretty penny on the deal? Wake up man. All they did was take out the middle man. And in the end, the fans are again FORCED to go to iTunes to get the music.

CAVEAT: Fans who live in US and don’t shop internationally – which I would assume, is the majority.[/quote:16hl8bho]
      You don’t have to wake me up, I think I know a bit how it works. You better wake up the majority of the Americans, if you feel like they are being forced to 1 direction.

However, I think higher of the Americans. Those that are blessed with ignorance, will go to iTunes. Those that are aware of the Information and Technology era we are living in, will read the online press releases everywhere and will wait a month to get the CD import of American Gothic. They are not forced to iTunes at all.

And you really think the Smashing Pumpkins (read: Billy Corgan) are making huge amounts of money with an online US-only acoustic EP, only bought by the ignorant on iTunes? Hard to believe my friend… But I do agree, there should be more online sources to get American Gothic from. That type of exclusivity is uhmmm… questionable at least. But the digital platform is here to stay, and might overtake the market completely in the end. Just like the 78 rpm vinyl disappeared.

The moment a Pumpkins release is online ONLY I will rant with you. For this moment I really don’t see the issue you’re trying to bring up. We all still do have a choice. And those that are not looking for choices or options… let them be proud of their ignorance.

Arthur
      Spectator

Wikipedia says that it’ll get a physical international release.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_G … kins_EP%29

And we all know how reliable wikipedia is when it comes to speculated info. :roll:[/quote:fvj75h6f]
      Thanks for pointing us there Superlordspamulon, I used some info from there for the American Gothic upload! :D

http://www.spfreaks.com/Default.aspx?pa … &item=2023 (<= see we passed the 2,000 items on SPfreaks last week? :wink: )

Why would Billy choose a title like "American Gothic" anyway?[/quote:1okrnwqu]

American Gothic is a painting;

manillascissor
      Keymaster

You don’t have to wake me up, I think I know a bit how it works. You better wake up the majority of the Americans, if you feel like they are being forced to 1 direction.

However, I think higher of the Americans. Those that are blessed with ignorance, will go to iTunes. Those that are aware of the Information and Technology era we are living in, will read the online press releases everywhere and will wait a month to get the CD import of American Gothic. They are not forced to iTunes at all.

And you really think the Smashing Pumpkins (read: Billy Corgan) are making huge amounts of money with an online US-only acoustic EP, only bought by the ignorant on iTunes? Hard to believe my friend… But I do agree, there should be more online sources to get American Gothic from. That type of exclusivity is uhmmm… questionable at least. But the digital platform is here to stay, and might overtake the market completely in the end. Just like the 78 rpm vinyl disappeared.

The moment a Pumpkins release is online ONLY I will rant with you. For this moment I really don’t see the issue you’re trying to bring up. We all still do have a choice. And those that are not looking for choices or options… let them be proud of their ignorance.[/quote:10xeuj0s]

Hard to argue for the ignorant, I’ll give you that. :)

But even you just acknowledged the questionability of the iTunes only digital release.

And I think the money struck between iTunes and SP was up front, not dependent on sales. Maybe they get some sort of royalties beyond the intial agreement, but I’d say the initial agreement is where both parties made their monies.

Why would Billy choose a title like "American Gothic" anyway?[/quote:3k2qk8k2]

American Gothic is a painting;

[/quote:3k2qk8k2]

billy said

"We have always regretted not recording more in between tours because albums have never caught the full story of the group…it’s sort of Zeitgeist+," says Billy of American Gothic, the title of which is "continued comment on the state of our country."

but i dont get it what comment is gothic?

but i dont get it what comment is gothic?[/quote:zvljnnfg] Hmm… the hoplessness of the American government and America’s future? The darkness and Despair it’s been thrown into? i have no idea

lilkitn
      Spectator

I really don’t see what the big deal is. So you have to order the CD internationally… so did anyone who wanted the other copies of Zeitgeist who didn’t live in the US. A few of us bitched and moaned, but we got over it. I personally find it kind of rewarding finding it on the internet and ordering… it’s almost like finding the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow… you just get a feeling of accomplishment. You know that you’ve got something rare that not too many people have gotten their hands on around you. And if you’re like me you gloat, and then share it with your closest Pumpkin friends. So as long as we can all get our hands on the copies one way or another, again… what’s the big deal? As much as I love the Pumpkins (which is ALOT), there are more important things in life to get upset about.

Peace and Love,
      Kit’n

Arthur
      Spectator

I really don’t see what the big deal is. So you have to order the CD internationally… so did anyone who wanted the other copies of Zeitgeist who didn’t live in the US. A few of us bitched and moaned, but we got over it. I personally find it kind of rewarding finding it on the internet and ordering… it’s almost like finding the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow… you just get a feeling of accomplishment. You know that you’ve got something rare that not too many people have gotten their hands on around you. And if you’re like me you gloat, and then share it with your closest Pumpkin friends. So as long as we can all get our hands on the copies one way or another, again… what’s the big deal? As much as I love the Pumpkins (which is ALOT), there are more important things in life to get upset about.

Peace and Love,
      Kit’n[/quote:1z3dhs8j]
      Kit’n is my friend. I couldn’t have said it any better. Thanks my friend! 8)

My contact says it will hit the shelves here at the end of January 2008. It will be released on iTunes first.[/quote:3l5noyap]
      thanks ill wait for that then. im sure its gonna be a great album! (sorry ep)

lilkitn
      Spectator

Kit’n is my friend. I couldn’t have said it any better. Thanks my friend! 8)[/quote:2oqo134x]

:wink: Not a problem…

Kit’n

Arthur
      Spectator

I just gave the new EP a listen, and I must say… I like it very much. It has a lot of the Zeitgeist feel, it is (semi-) acoustic, both of which I’m not into too much, only to a certain level, and Ma Belle made way more impact… Still, I like it. This being said by a person that almost only likes the good ol’ epic Pumpkins rockers… Congratulations, Billy and Jimmy!

I just gave the new EP a listen, and I must say… [/quote:jssjvlu4]
      huh this is not out yet where did you get it? did it leak? it is out tomorow right?

I just gave the new EP a listen, and I must say… I like it very much. It has a lot of the Zeitgeist feel, it is (semi-) acoustic, both of which I’m not into too much, only to a certain level, and Ma Belle made way more impact… Still, I like it. This being said by a person that almost only likes the good ol’ epic Pumpkins rockers… Congratulations, Billy and Jimmy![/quote:342nva9d]

I like it a lot too (thank you Arthur :wink: ). Especially Again, Again, Again. Reminds me of Tonight, Tonight. Has a similar sound, and the drumming in the chorus has the same vibe :)

shampoo
      Spectator

The ep is good, not my favourite thing they’ve done but still enjoyable. The lyrics are a bit confusing at times to me. Does anyone know what sunkissed is about? I’m guessing it has to do with a relationship and putting aside fears, going with flow, etc? Some of the lines don’t make much sense at all to me. Anyways, I’m glad they are releasing material inbetween.

EDIT: I’m also confused as to how this ep is a statement on the current american culture. again, again, again also seems to be about a love relationship. I guess i was expecting more overt political/social lyrics.

Arthur
      Spectator

Some info I found on a German website. In short it means the CD version of American Gothic will be released on February 15. At least in Germany I guess, as my source in NL told me a while back it will be released at the end of January already. But that info might be outdated by now of course.

+++ Vor kurzem erschien bekanntlich die \"American Gothic\" EP der Smashing Pumpkins, die vier akustische Perlen der Band enthält. Am 15. Februar kommt das gute Stück, welches bisher nur über iTunes erhältlich war, auch in die Läden. Zur Erinnerung gibt es hier noch einmal die Tracklist:
      01. \"The Rose March\"
      02. \"Again, Again, Again\"
      03. \"Pox\"
      04. \"Sunkissed\"

manillascissor
      Keymaster

The ep is good, not my favourite thing they’ve done but still enjoyable. The lyrics are a bit confusing at times to me. Does anyone know what sunkissed is about? I’m guessing it has to do with a relationship and putting aside fears, going with flow, etc? Some of the lines don’t make much sense at all to me. Anyways, I’m glad they are releasing material inbetween.

EDIT: I’m also confused as to how this ep is a statement on the current american culture. again, again, again also seems to be about a love relationship. I guess i was expecting more overt political/social lyrics.[/quote:tjad87ii]

I have not listened yet, as I live in America and refuse to iTune it. Once I give it a spin, I can respond.

Anonymous
      Spectator

manillascissor
      Keymaster

Exactly. It all boils down to:

FUCK ITUNES.

shampoo
      Spectator

Thanks manillascissor, I’d send you the files but I’m not sure how to.

Thanks manillascissor, I’d send you the files but I’m not sure how to.[/quote:2t20hg90] Create a .zip file (right click in a folder or on your desktop. Relatively straight forward from there). Copy all the AG files into the .zip.

Upload the .zip to something like sendspace.com, megauploads.com or yousendit.com. They usually have relatively simple guides on how to :). They’ll give you a download link after it’s uploaded – copy and paste this either into the thread or into a PM :)

shampoo
      Spectator

Thanks for the info.

Here it is:
      http://www.sendspace.com/file/brd782

manillascissor
      Keymaster

Hey Shampoo
      Thanks for uploading those. Very nice of you to do. I’ll download once I get to work, my internet at home sucks.

chauncey
      Spectator

http://www.subba-cultcha.com/article_news.php?id=886

\"Smashing Pumpkins will release an acoustic EP entitled ‘American Gothic’ on February 11th on Martha’s Music / Reprise. The EP will be available on CD and as a digital download.\"

It’s not the 15th, but at least it’s the same week.

http://www.subba-cultcha.com/article_news.php?id=886

"Smashing Pumpkins will release an acoustic EP entitled ‘American Gothic’ on February 11th on Martha’s Music / Reprise. The EP will be available on CD and as a digital download."

It’s not the 15th, but at least it’s the same week.[/quote:2etv5c5x]
      thanks chauncey! is this info for amerika or england? because of the digital download…

your new huh chauncey, welcome man!

chauncey
      Spectator

My guess is that’s it’s for the UK/Europe. The article suggests that the release is to coinicde with the start of the upcoming tour. I don’t think a CD is being release here in the States.

I’m new to the forum, but I’ve been trading and collecting for years. It’s nice to have a new community and resource here at spfreaks!

Arthur
      Spectator

I’m new to the forum, but I’ve been trading and collecting for years. It’s nice to have a new community and resource here at spfreaks![/quote:16tr8ji3]
      Cool, glad you found us chauncey! Welcome aboard! Did you post a pic of your collection already in the Show Off thread? It’s a new rule for new members. :lol:

(kidding… but your pic would be welcome anyway!)

shampoo
      Spectator

By the way, I know Billy is usually cryptic about things but I thought his message was a bit strange, anyone else think so? Sometimes I wish he would write/speak in a more normal way (like the rest of the band members).

This part was strange (what the hell is he talking about?):

The new day has finally come as we turn the corner on the end of one energy that no longer serves us and begin to embrace the new dawn that will…and no, I am not speaking about the band or the music business…what is past is passed, and we all wear the black arm bands in honor of, but life happily, as it should, marches on…hopefully to a good beat…[/quote:34keizm2]

But this one was even stranger:

Thanks to New Orleans for showing Us the meaning of hope…and thanks to the old guard for showing the same dull move, you know the one that never works? Art band that said old guard wishes they were in so bad that they wish importance upon it? Check! No matter what you crutches all dream up, Led Zep is still a 100 times better! Go Zep! Go Team! Rock on! Long Live the Mighty SP!
      And…
      Thank YOU for showing up! And yes, I mean YOU :)
      lovingness, happiness, BC[/quote:34keizm2]

I’m still not sure what he was trying to say and why he kept referring to “the collective”.

Arthur
      Spectator

Pre-orders available on amazon JUST AFTER i spend £46 on two albums :x

ah well… it’s only £6 (and then P+P)

So yeah.

I’ll probably place an order… thanks for the info 8)

Placed pre-order, got irritated that i ended up paying £1.50 over the price listed (Curse you P+P! :x )

But i’ll be getting it soon :D

Thanks for the link Arthur!

manillascissor
      Keymaster

Pre-orders available on amazon JUST AFTER i spend £46 on two albums :x

ah well… it’s only £6 (and then P+P)

So yeah.

I’ll probably place an order… thanks for the info 8)[/quote:g5yhsta7]

I feel your pain superlord!!!!!

Shannen
      Spectator

Rumuors there will be asian copies. I have been looking around during my travelling but I have not see any of it on the shelf. And no one in Asia knows about it.

Is the rumours true?

Arthur
      Spectator

Rumuors there will be asian copies. I have been looking around during my travelling but I have not see any of it on the shelf. And no one in Asia knows about it.

Is the rumours true?[/quote:2b22esk5]
      Japan?

Shannen
      Spectator

No wonder I couldn’t find it on the shelves when the CD released date has been pushed out to 11th February ’08.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_G … umpkins_EP)

Arthur
      Spectator

This address also ships on the 11th, but with free delivery.

http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/4992710 … oduct.html

Viewing 61 reply threads

The forum ‘General’ is closed to new topics and replies.