Viewing 77 reply threads
  • Author

marigold
      Spectator

anyone else have the book for the 4LP in the CD deluxe set and the other way around?
      this happened to the sets I bought here in The Netherlands…

manillascissor
      Keymaster

haven’t received mine yet, but that is hilarious. !!!!

Sven
      Spectator

hope this is not true for the whole of the print run, because that would be a major error…

i first opened the CD deluxe and looked at the books and all, found it quite strange and told my fiancee so that the credits were wrong as I knew there were some James compositions and Isolation included…

so then I opend the 4LP and found the book with the credits to the bonus content there…

go figure? :)

Sven
      Spectator

there are two different books bearing the original cover artwork frontispice:
      1. foreword/liner notes/interview, track by track by BC for the album, credits for the album tracks plus artwork sketches et al (the credits for the album in the guise of an erratum sticker applied to the credit page); this is the one included in the post of the cd version posted yesterday this is the one that came with my CD deluxe too.
      2. foreword/liner notes/interview, track by track by BC for the album, track/recording info for the bonus cd’s (Morning Tea, High Tea, Special Tea), credits for the album tracks, for the dvd and for the bonus content (the credits for the album in the guise of an erratum sticker applied to the credit page). this is the one that came with my 4LP.

Book 1. > should be with the 4LP but is with the CD deluxe.
      Book 2. > should be with the CD deluxe but is with the 4LP.

marigold
      Spectator

I guess it’s not a good idea to pre-order, as the Gish and SD reissues had delays, but then people got that flexi-disc…
      What if you’ve only preordered one of them?

Arthur
      Spectator

What if you’ve only preordered one of them?[/quote:nwnek1y6]
      Then you get the other deluxe release for free to be able to have the right book with your deluxe release. Easy fix, everybody happy! :D

And I think it has nothing to do with preordering, it looks like a generic mistake at the factory.

marigold
      Spectator

Then you get the other deluxe release for free to be able to have the right book with your deluxe release. Easy fix, everybody happy! :D

[/quote:2u80wjyz]

sounds like a good deal!

that’s a horrible mistake.

sven, a couple of questions:
      – these copies of the cd set and the vinyl set you picked up in the netherlands, were they made in the EU, or are they a US release (cds possibly pressed in mexico)?
      – what is the tracklist of the vinyl? does it include tonite reprise and infinite sadness? is it in the same order as the cd release?

also, sven, where did you find these, and how much did you pay for each?

the tracklist of the vinyl reissue is the same as on the cd.
      interesting. looks all right.
      (this is the back insert of the US vinyl set, by the way.)

Arthur
      Spectator

Where did \"Tonite Reprise\" and \"Infinite Sadness\" go?

And I too wonder about the book issue. If this is a worldwide thingy, we might expect some uproar.

I will meet Sven tomorrow, I will ask him the questions above when he has not answered them here by then.

Sven
      Spectator

printed in the EU is says on the sheets.
      copyrights to Virgin USA.
      no FBI – logo on these copies.

slightly let down because of the vinyl tracklist (have to hear it though).
      there is no Tonite Reprise or Infinite Sadness there, nor is the tracklist like the original vinyl.
      it’s \"just\" the cd order on 4 LPs.

Arthur
      Spectator

Sven, where did you get/buy this? And how much did you pay for it? Or did you get some promotional ‘review’ copies again?

Sven
      Spectator

These are now out via Plato/Concerto and were extremely costly. The cd one I managed to get a review copy of. The LP one I paid, but got some deal on that; still it was way too expensive in a way, but I just had to bring it home already as I didn’t want to wait any longer. The LP one was 169,00 euro standard pricing.

Arthur
      Spectator

Ouch! Amazon.com has it for $73.99, which is less than 60 Euro.

The LP one was 169,00 euro standard pricing.[/quote:1wulz7e6]
      that’s insane.
      how can they justify a price like this?

arthur, don’t forget that you’ll most likely end up paying import taxes when you buy this on amazon.com. (ok, it’ll still end up being cheaper than 169 euro. but keep it in mind.)

Arthur
      Spectator

Not if they ship it from an European country I guess. We buy stuffs on Amazon quite regularly (for our baby, and kitchen tools sometimes, and the Gish and Siamese Dream deluxe boxes) and so far we never paid (extra) tax. But it got shipped from European countries, or the UK, I noticed.

Sven
      Spectator

The LP one was 169,00 euro standard pricing.[/quote:4t3mf64r]
      that’s insane.
      how can they justify a price like this?

arthur, don’t forget that you’ll most likely end up paying import taxes when you buy this on amazon.com. (ok, it’ll still end up being cheaper than 169 euro. but keep it in mind.)[/quote:4t3mf64r]

yep, I had that numereous times with for example the MACHINA release on cd that came with the SBA promo. I ordered several in one order and ended up paying a lot in import taxes.

yeah, if you had only ordered one, it would have been cheap enough to avoid import taxes.
      i believe the limit in belgium is 20 euro.
      next to the taxes, you also have to pay some administration fee of 10 euro, so for something of say, 25 euro, the whole import thing makes it a lot more expensive.

Sven
      Spectator

correct, but then again, we thought to be clever in ordering several for some fellow fans, went above and beyond the limit(s) and there you have it; extra costs…

at least you saved on shipping costs.
      can’t have it all…

jawn till dusk
      Spectator

My Canadian deluxe and standard versions arrived today and all seems fine with the deluxe book.

Still waiting for my vinyl,though.

Shame the standard version didn’t have different artwork though.Not to worry. :)

Arthur
      Spectator

Are you sure? Does the book have the credits and info for the bonus songs and the dvd?

jawn till dusk
      Spectator

Definately,yeah. :lol:

Arthur
      Spectator

Definately,yeah. :lol:[/quote:llgnicb8]
      My copy of the deluxe cd box arrived today, ordered on Amazon Canada, and I can also confirm the book is correct.

King of Gloom
      Spectator

I got my CD box yesterday, ordered in the Netherlands. It has the correct book with it.

jawn till dusk
      Spectator

My vinyl arrived today with the correct book. :wink:

jgfox
      Spectator

anyone else have the book for the 4LP in the CD deluxe set and the other way around?
      this happened to the sets I bought here in The Netherlands…[/quote:3kxeusfa]

Unfortunately I have to confirm…

Bought the CD Deluxe Set indeed with the LP booklet. So no bonus track details for me.
      The original credits in this LP booklet are even corrected with a sticker.

Danni
      Spectator

this happened to the sets I bought here in The Netherlands…[/quote:jvtbgkc1]

Bought the CD Deluxe Set indeed with the LP booklet. So no bonus track details for me.
      The original credits in this LP booklet are even corrected with a sticker.[/quote:jvtbgkc1]

yeah, what’s and what’s not up with the sticker?

King of Gloom
      Spectator

this happened to the sets I bought here in The Netherlands…[/quote:1e0royzu]

The original credits in this LP booklet are even corrected with a sticker.[/quote:1e0royzu]

yeah, what’s and what’s not up with the sticker?[/quote:1e0royzu]

Does anybody have the guts to remove that sticker in their book? :lol:

Does anybody have the guts to remove that sticker in their book? :lol:[/quote:y8lusrtr]
      i bet it’s another hidden message by bc. expect something similar to "s my d".

my mcis cd+dvd box finally arrived today. it was delayed.
      this is what the online shop had to say about the delay: \"There was a problem, and they sent us a new one.\"
      i quickly checked the book in the box set, and it has the correct book, with all the information about the tracks on the bonus discs.

maybe they originally had the boxes with the incorrect book, and this is why the delivery was delayed?

(i’ll check the book more in detail when i have some more time.)

The original credits in this LP booklet are even corrected with a sticker.[/quote:3o5dpqpy]
      jeroen, what does this "sticker correction" look like?
      can you, or someone else, illustrate this with a picture?
      thanks.

never mind! the correct cd+dvd set book also has a sticker over (part of) the original album credits.

i guess the sticker in the lp set book is different. if so, a picture to illustrate this would be nice.
      or are the original album credits also spread over two columns, exactly like in the cd+dvd set book?

this is what the sticker in my book looks like:

My vinyl arrived today with the correct book. :wink:[/quote:5kp7h2rd]
      where did you buy it?
      or, in other words, did you buy the EU or the US vinyl set?

jawn till dusk
      Spectator

It’s the US version bought in Canada.

i see.

is this the right conclusion (so far)?

cd+dvd box US: always the correct book
      vinyl box US: always the correct book
      cd+dvd box EU: sometimes the wrong book, sometimes the correct book
      vinyl box EU: always the wrong book

i went to a shop yesterday, and we opened two vinyl box sets and one cd+dvd box (felt like christmas :)), and they all contained the cd+dvd box book. they will bring the issue to the attention of an emi representative that is visiting them on wednesday.

Arthur
      Spectator

i went to a shop yesterday, and we opened two vinyl box sets and one cd+dvd box (felt like christmas :)), and they all contained the cd+dvd box book. they will bring the issue to the attention of an emi representative that is visiting them on wednesday.[/quote:17sq5w54]
      Good move. Now let’s see what comes of it.

well, first they will ask him (?) if this mixup is really a mistake.
      (i wasn’t able to convince them entirely. not that they denied it, or acted as if i was wrong. but they left the option open that the book with the information about the three bonus cds and dvd is supposed to be in the vinyl box set. which is fair enough.)

i can only assume the emi representative is going to be honest and confirm that it’s a mistake. that it’s the wrong book.
      (if he’s lazy, he might lie and say that it’s supposed to be there. you know, to avoid any extra effort on this issue. i hope this doesn’t happen or i will get very angry.)

and then they should find a way to correct it. either replace all vinyl box sets they still have in store, and the ones that might be returned. or just replace the book.

if i understand it correctly, jeroen, who had the wrong book in his cd+dvd box set, already got his book replaced. but i don’t know the details about this.

there’s a small chance they’ll give me the correct book, while i get to keep the \"incorrect\" book. in that case, i’ll have a spare cd+dvd book, which i can use to mess around with. (read: try to get the sticker off and see what’s underneath that needed correcting.) fingers crossed.

jawn till dusk
      Spectator

i see.

is this the right conclusion (so far)?

i went to a shop yesterday, and we opened two vinyl box sets and one cd+dvd box (felt like christmas :)), and they all contained the cd+dvd box book. they will bring the issue to the attention of an emi representative that is visiting them on wednesday.[/quote:7o4i2upa]

It seems to be the right conclusion. Both my US releases have the correct book.

Arthur
      Spectator

I am also curious what is there to find behind the sticker. More secret reissue messages, again not initiated by Billy Corgan?

I am also curious what is there to find behind the sticker. More secret reissue messages, again not initiated by Billy Corgan?[/quote:310ss6hp]
      that would be awesome.

Arthur
      Spectator

If they are slightly more intelligent, yes.

nah, just imagine there is a hidden message, even if it’s something like \"poop\". just the fact that it is there, would be great. well, to me it would be.

i really doubt it though. my guess is that there’s been a copy/paste error of some kind, filling up that column with the wrong text.

i went to a shop yesterday, and we opened two vinyl box sets and one cd+dvd box (felt like christmas :)), and they all contained the cd+dvd box book. they will bring the issue to the attention of an emi representative that is visiting them on wednesday.[/quote:rk9xcyn5]
      the emi representative postponed his visit until the 27th of february.
      so no answers/solutions yet…

manillascissor
      Keymaster

he probably reads this forum.

i finally found out what the emi representative had to say about the incorrect book in the vinyl box set. he claimed that this is normal, and that all boxes are made in america, so that there isn’t much that they can do about it.
      can you believe that? (how rude! :x )

the friendly lady from the shop seemed more upset than me when i told her that these claims are incorrect. i then mailed her a load of pictures that illustrate that there is an american and a european release, and most importantly, that there is a clear difference between the book from the cd+dvd box set and the one from the vinyl box set. (thanks for your picture, jeroen. that was very helpful.)
      she will now get back in touch with the emi representative and ask for a solution.

to be continued.

ah yes, jeroen, you mentioned that you already managed to get your incorrect book replaced by the correct one.
      how did you manage this? did you switch with someone else who had the other incorrect book? did you let the shop handle it? or did you get directly in contact with emi?
      thanks.

i just noticed this picture as part of this spfreaks collection entry:
      http://www.spfreaks.com/?page=IMGVIEW&item=14135
      http://www.spfreaks.com/?page=COLLDETAILS&item=3786

the entry is the US deluxe edition (5cd+dvd) of MCIS.
      but the picture looks like a picture of the EU box: there’s no piracy warning or \"parental\" warning of some kind (typically only on US releases) on the back insert, for example. and it shows the incorrect book, just on the page where it’s most easily recognised: the page with the credits. note how the \"dvd\" credits aren’t there. i believe i can see a sticker on that page too.

geofolkers
      Spectator

Not sure which thread to stick this under but here’s a sweet deal if you don’t have this yet :)

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B008Z9L94O … 1_1&sr=8-1

marigold
      Spectator

yay! thanks :)

edit: I hadn’t clicked the link – need the deluxe box to go down in price too!

i just noticed this picture as part of this spfreaks collection entry:
      http://www.spfreaks.com/?page=IMGVIEW&item=14135
      http://www.spfreaks.com/?page=COLLDETAILS&item=3786

the entry is the US deluxe edition (5cd+dvd) of MCIS.
      but the picture looks like a picture of the EU box: there’s no piracy warning or "parental" warning of some kind (typically only on US releases) on the back insert, for example. and it shows the incorrect book, just on the page where it’s most easily recognised: the page with the credits. note how the "dvd" credits aren’t there. i believe i can see a sticker on that page too.[/quote:25gn102i]
      bump.
      request for correction.

another thing that indicates that it’s the EU release: that german FSK label on the dvd.

i finally found out what the emi representative had to say about the incorrect book in the vinyl box set. he claimed that this is normal, and that all boxes are made in america, so that there isn’t much that they can do about it.
      can you believe that? (how rude! :x )

the friendly lady from the shop seemed more upset than me when i told her that these claims are incorrect. i then mailed her a load of pictures that illustrate that there is an american and a european release, and most importantly, that there is a clear difference between the book from the cd+dvd box set and the one from the vinyl box set. (thanks for your picture, jeroen. that was very helpful.)
      she will now get back in touch with the emi representative and ask for a solution.

to be continued.[/quote:32eel20f]
      the continuation of the story: after being confronted with my proof, the emi representative told the lady of the store that he’d look into it, and get in touch with me directly. so she thought the issue was now out of her hands and would soon be resolved.

unfortunately, over a month later, i still hadn’t heard from this guy. since i didn’t have his direct contact information, i had to get back to the store, and tell them that i hadn’t been contacted at all. so then they kept emailing and pushing this guy at emi, and finally, they told the shop to tell me to call them, and ask for the product manager. (what a palaver. i really wonder why that had to take so long. did that representative guy ever even look into this, or simply ignore the whole matter, hoping that it would go away? could he not have told us immediately that we needed to talk to the product manager? could he not have contacted the product manager himself in those two months?)

anyway, today i was able to call the number and after the guy at the helpdesk tried to get rid of me ("you have to take the box set back to the shop where you bought it, and they’ll give you a new one" – lol!), i actually reached someone at emi belgium who could help me. very friendly person, who happened to have the deluxe edition and the vinyl box set within reach. he checked his vinyl box while we were on the phone, and it also contained the incorrect book. (ha!)
      so now he’s going to look for a solution. don’t ask me how. it didn’t sound like they had more books lying around there. but hopefully i’ll get a real answer/solution soon. fingers crossed.

to be continued.

Arthur
      Spectator

I just love the way how you hold on. 8)

Corrections have been made meanwhile, btw.

i’m not letting them get away with it like that. if they’re charging 130 euro for a vinyl set, they can provide the correct book. otherwise i’m not buying it.
      so far, i never even got a decent answer. just promises and lots of silence.

today it’s looking better though. fingers crossed.

Corrections have been made meanwhile, btw.[/quote:35gwlw57]
      yes, i’ve noticed. thanks.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

wow. good job. i’d still like a copy that is fucked up. just the collector in me.

i don’t. it’s not special enough. it’s just the wrong book. there’s nothing \"unique\" about the mistake. you could easily recreate it.

i’m still wondering if there’s been anyone who bought the EU vinyl box set that had the correct book.

so far, the early conclusion still stands:

update: today i finally received the correct book. (11 february – 27 may. not bad.)

i had to send a couple of extra mails to the guy at EMI in order to get my lower priority issue moving, but in the end, it worked out all right. last week i got a reply that he had found a vinyl box set book. he then mailed it straight to me. tada! yay!

~ the end.

I am also curious what is there to find behind the sticker. More secret reissue messages, again not initiated by Billy Corgan?[/quote:24hq6xat]
      :arrow: I found out why they’ve applied those stickers to the "original credits" in the books of the European MCIS reissues (Deluxe Edition and vinyl release)!

I was able to read what’s underneath the sticker by holding the page against a strong light. And I was lucky that my sticker was applied a little bit too low, conveniently.
      The sticker contains almost the same text as what’s underneath, so if the sticker had been applied on the same position as the text underneath, it would have been impossible to spot any differences. The text on the sticker would have hidden what’s underneath. But, like I said, I’m lucky with the sticker in my book, it’s just the right offset to read what’s underneath. The original text on the page below the sticker comes between the lines of text on the sticker, and is readable.

Anyway, it’s not a hidden message. It’s just a mistake. But quite an unforgivable one. It’s a good thing they found out before this was released, and were able to correct it with the stickers.
      The mistake happened at the very beginning, at the top of the sticker.
      Where the sticker says:

the smashing pumpkins – billy corgan – james iha –
      d’arcy – jimmy chamberlin[/quote:24hq6xat]
      the original page has:

jimmy chamberlin[/quote:24hq6xat]
      D’arcy fell off!

For reference, a picture of stickered page: http://i39.tinypic.com/k4hzpl.jpg

Arthur
      Spectator

Where the sticker says:

d’arcy – jimmy chamberlin[/quote:1z3x6edf]
      the original page has:

jimmy chamberlin[/quote:1z3x6edf]
      D’arcy fell off![/quote:1z3x6edf]
      Well, yeah, that’s not funny indeed.

I’m glad we found out though.

In the end, it’s just another silly mistake. Like \"We Only Come At Night\", earlier in the book.

Arthur
      Spectator

I’m glad we found out though.

In the end, it’s just another silly mistake. Like "We Only Come At Night", earlier in the book.[/quote:z8988ggg]
      That’s the BC joke of this reissue I presume. :)

i wish it was. really.
      it would make it less disappointing.

King of Gloom
      Spectator

Oh well, that’s a disappointment. I would have prefered the ‘S my D’.

Spag
      Spectator

I remember Billy saying in an interview how frustrating it is that so many mistakes were made with this reissue project.

King of Gloom
      Spectator

I remember Billy saying in an interview how frustrating it is that so many mistakes were made with this reissue project.[/quote:23xkm9li]

I totally understand him. Things like the wrong vocal take on Plume, a sticker to cover up a mistake in the credits, quite a few spelling errors/typos in the booklets make the reissues feel like a bit of a rush job.

marigold
      Spectator

I’ve finally got this (EU release) now, but couldn’t find it on the database – or I’m looking in the wrong place?

Arthur
      Spectator

I’ve finally got this (EU release) now, but couldn’t find it on the database – or I’m looking in the wrong place?[/quote:2h2mwubd]
      You’re right, it is not there yet. So far no pics of the EU release have been provided. Lots own the US release I’m sure, including the undersigned. :)

marigold
      Spectator

i don’t. it’s not special enough. it’s just the wrong book. there’s nothing "unique" about the mistake. you could easily recreate it.

i’m still wondering if there’s been anyone who bought the EU vinyl box set that had the correct book.

so far, the early conclusion still stands:

vinyl box EU: always the wrong book[/quote:2bavt8jp]

oh…I have the wrong book – wonder if the store will let me swap it :?:

oh…I have the wrong book – wonder if the store will let me swap it :?:[/quote:1x0uy5s0]
      what would they swap it with?

marigold
      Spectator

uh, the right book perhaps?

manillascissor
      Keymaster

uh, the right book perhaps?[/quote:2dehglkm]

:lol:

uh, the right book perhaps?[/quote:33mhtvcv]
      i don’t know what stores you’re going to, but the stores i know, don’t have a pile of different mcis reissue books lying around.
      in fact, when i contacted EMI belgium, even they didn’t have any spare books. they had to get in touch with the band’s management in order to locate the correct book.

so yeah, good luck.

the first step is definitely to go back to where you bought it. but from there on it’s "fingers crossed". check out my story in this thread for an example.

marigold
      Spectator

Yes, I’ve read your story, and glad that EMI corrected the error. When I go to the store I can tell them there was a mix-up at EMI and explain that the correct book is in the vinyl release, hopefully they will be ok with opening one if it means getting the book replaced with the correct one – but if they don’t want to open it (all that packaging) then I could ask them to get whoever purchases one to contact me (no doubt they’d want the right book too as the vinyl is $200) and I’ve also contacted a couple of SP fans in NZ to see if they have it.
      Only problem is that the vinyl release is very limited here, I’ve seen only 2-3 copies, so I will have to ask around.

there’s no guarantee the other box set will contain the book you’re looking for.

if you bought the deluxe edition (with cds and dvd), and it came with the vinyl book, then you’ve got a big chance that the vinyl box set will contain the right book for you though. so far, nobody has mentioned finding a vinyl box set with the correct book.
      so if the shop is ok with opening the vinyl box set, you could be helped immediately. and they will have had to open an item they still have to sell, but then at least it can be sold with the correct book.

good luck with it.

marigold
      Spectator

No luck with this as the stores aren’t ordering ANY EU releases. And no point ordering one online either as there’d be no way of knowing which book it has…

Viewing 77 reply threads

The forum ‘Collecting Items’ is closed to new topics and replies.