Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author

confuciousconfusing
      Spectator

Why do people that worship God wish so badly for eternal life?

Because when you think about it why would you want eternal life.
      Life as it is seems to take forever already, and that is only around eighty years.

another question, if you look at the statistics there really is no proof heaven exists, I think it was just an idea created by philosophers to scare the lower class people to trick people and keep them in mind.

Think about it, to people killing out of rage is wrong but killing for God is the right thing to do.

anyone else have thoughts on this.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

this is nothing new. a strong argument against religion has always been that it’s a scare tactic.

more people have died in the name of their god than for any other reason.

eternal life in heaven doesn’t sound too bad to me. i can see why someone would want eternal life in a place that it peaceful and has no problems. it’s heaven for christ’s sake!

Marcella
      Spectator

Religion is not to be taken so literally; eternal life isn’t really the life humans know. It’s something far more abstract; same with heaven.

Besides, every single religion is different. Some don’t believe killing in the name of God is right either.

And isn’t dying for what you believe in the best way to die? Your beliefs killed you, but at least you died for a reason.

Daysofthephoenix
      Spectator

It’s not that I wouldn’t want eternal life it’s just the thought of going on forever and time that scares me that’s all.

I was just kinda depressed when I wrote that earlier. :(

blueczarina
      Spectator

sorry to hear you were depressed. i hope you feel better now.

Anonymous
      Spectator

we on this planet at times have a hard time understanding anything outside of the box ;)

Daysofthephoenix
      Spectator

I think I was sad because my sister and family left last night, when a huge ice storm hit and I was worried but now they are home and I happy again.

also, I know things I don’t understand scare me and that is why I try and turn that off and be happy.

Well thanks for the concern, I do feel better :)

blueczarina
      Spectator

thats good :wink:

some pumpkins
      Spectator

this is nothing new. a strong argument against religion has always been that it’s a scare tactic.

more people have died in the name of their god than for any other reason.

eternal life in heaven doesn’t sound too bad to me. i can see why someone would want eternal life in a place that it peaceful and has no problems. it’s heaven for christ’s sake![/quote:2cdos9k9]

to me its less of a scare tactic, and more of a crutch. drugs, alcohol, cigaretts, religion, money, coffee. whatever gets you through the day. if a person chooses to have god as a big part of their life, go for it. but please, dont push it on me. eternal life would be cool. i want to see where society ends up going. i feel like we’re just at the begining of all this and i wanna see where things go from here.

Anonymous
      Spectator

i feel like we’re just at the begining of all this and i wanna see where things go from here.[/quote:iejx6sp6]
      nicely stated.

Marcella
      Spectator

Well I’m glad you’re feeling better Days.

Daysofthephoenix
      Spectator

Yeah, I am better and thank you guys for answering my question and your view points on it
      :)

it’s just the thought of going on forever and time that scares me that’s all.[/quote:39a45fzl]

Why should it scare you? All it is is that there will always be a tomorrow, and each day is perfect.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

it’s just the thought of going on forever and time that scares me that’s all.[/quote:1vafobfd]

Why should it scare you? All it is is that there will always be a tomorrow, and each day is perfect.[/quote:1vafobfd]

What about an eternal orgasm? I wonder if that would get old.

aaaaaAAAAAAaaAAAaAAAAhHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh!! okay, again!

What about an eternal orgasm? I wonder if that would get old.

aaaaaAAAAAAaaAAAaAAAAhHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh!! okay, again![/quote:23rw6rsa]

Yeah, cause you wouldn’t be able to do anything else during it. It’d feel pretty good though.

Marcella
      Spectator

:lol:

Name one religion that says killing in the name of God is ok. A real religion, not the fanatics like KKK etc.

Name one religion that says killing in the name of God is ok. A real religion, not the fanatics like KKK etc.[/quote:33wemwjn]

I’m pretty sure it says it’s ok in the bible a couple of times.

In the Bible? Chapter and verse, please.

Marcella
      Spectator

It is mentioned in some stories from the Old Testament (Samson, for example. David & Goliath) that thanks to God Israel was able to win the war against the enemies who threatened to destroy it. I don’t know if you see that as killing in the name of God.

I can also recall when Abraham was about to kill his son Isaac in the name of God, but he was stopped by an angel, as it had only been a test to prove his faith.

Having read The Holy Bible countless times ever since I was a child, I can’t tell of any more verses that mention that specific subject. I would love for someone to correct me if I’m mistaken.

I am afraid I do not know enough about the Qur’an or about other monotheistic books to make any further statements.

Anonymous
      Spectator

It is mentioned in some stories from the Old Testament (Samson, for example. David & Goliath) that thanks to God Israel was able to win the war against the enemies who threatened to destroy it. I don’t know if you see that as killing in the name of God.

I can also recall when Abraham was about to kill his son Isaac in the name of God, but he was stopped by an angel, as it had only been a test to prove his faith.

Having read The Holy Bible countless times ever since I was a child, I can’t tell of any more verses that mention that specific subject. I would love for someone to correct me if I’m mistaken.

I am afraid I do not know enough about the Qur’an or about other monotheistic books to make any further statements.[/quote:3einasxt]

Well I can’t correct you because I just read that part a few weeks ago.

Viewing 20 reply threads

The forum ‘Philosophical Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.