Viewing 48 reply threads
  • Author

manillascissor
      Spectator

I see in one of the other threads that there’s a lot of confusion about how to name the different Siamese Dream vinyl colours. Pink or peach? Red? Is there even a red one?

I don’t think I have every different colour ever released, but I have some, and I’d like to give a little overview of the colours.

Here we see, row per row, starting on the top row:
      purple, red,
      pink, red,
      orange, another kind of orange,
      peach, and another kind of orange.
      I’m not sure about all of the oranges, but I think everyone can agree on the names of the colours for the purple, red, pink and peach vinyls.

mr.benway
      Spectator

That’s a very impressive Siamese Dream Color Vinyl Collection, Cool As Ice Cream. Wow…
      Thanks for the pictures and the explanation…

I’ll take some photos next week, so we can can compare the colors.
      (And it seems that my ‘pink’ looks more like the red ones… uh, very confusing… :? )

I have two pink ones, and they both look the same: very pink.

I’m interested to see how your red (pink?) copy looks like.

Danni
      Spectator

Very interesting topic C.A.I.C….

Now, this is what I’ve got, a Maroon one:

I don’t think someone got them mixed up. Just look at my two red copies. Each set has a lighter and a darker vinyl. I think basically they’re the same colour, but one of the two has more white mixed in.

I also believe your maroon set is very close to my red copies. It’s just a bit more convincing to call your copy maroon. But it adds to the idea that what I considered \"red\", is what everyone has been calling maroon so far. I mean, it’s not that far of a stretch to call my darker red copies maroon. I guess it’s just the lighter, more pinkish vinyl that makes it all confusing.

Danni
      Spectator

Yaeh, I’ve always thought of this as somewhat confusing.

You’ve got a very impressive SD vinyl collection though, Sir! :P

The guy who sold me this coloured SD vinyl in Sweden wrote in the auction that it’s the purple one. It’s far from purple though, even I can see that.

mr.benway
      Spectator

Here we go… My Siamese Dream Color Vinyls…

clearly: purple and peach.

and then your \"pink\" one seems to be far away from my pink copies, but quite close to the red ones. for that reason, i wouldn’t call it pink.

the red vinyls we’ve seen so far seem to vary from maroon, over red, to some sort of pinkish red. not sure how to call these; seems that red isn’t that appropriate after all.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

yeah, there are very few reds out there. i wish someone had an appropriate picture because i swear to god i’ve seen a red copy before. not to make this all the more confusing. :?

some pumpkins
      Spectator

honeymade’s darker \"maroon\" vinyl looks kinda red to me.

here’s my pink one. i just wanted to share.

Danni
      Spectator

I don’t know but THIS one looks kinda’ red to me:

http://www.popsike.com/Smashing-Pumpkin … 32056.html

:?:

I don’t know but THIS one looks kinda’ red to me:

http://www.popsike.com/Smashing-Pumpkin … 32056.html

:?:[/quote:2xu8zud2]

Thom
      Spectator

amnesia
      Spectator

The multicolour copy one is very beautiful. 8) :shock:
      If i may ask, how did you get it? :o

blueczarina
      Spectator

that is really pretty and cool looking 8)

Thom
      Spectator

i got it from eil.com about 6 years ago. if you hold it up to the light then the blue sections are translucent where the rest is opaque. It is indeed a pretty thing.

some pumpkins
      Spectator

i’ll take 5 please

blueczarina
      Spectator

that sounds pretty Thom

Sven
      Spectator

i’d swear there’s also a ‘red’/’purple’ version which is kinda translucent-
      i’m not quite sure though—-
      i kinda think i remember to have seen a copy once in Chicago-
      maybe Jeroen can shed some more light on my failing memory????
      he too has quite a selection of colours and i kinda recall there’s a red/dark red/purple version which is ‘solid’ and one which kinda ‘shines through’ – not sure though—-

you can see through some of my vinyls too. as i put them on the inner sleeve, i could see the hole of the inner sleeve through the vinyl.

I’d call these 1 pink, 2 peach, 3 maroon/purple.[/quote:hkvhnv4k]
      I can see why one would call these pink, peach and maroon/purple.

But I think it creates a lot of confusion. Let’s take that "pink" one. Surely, if you own this, and you’d have to describe the colour, you’d say pink. But then if someone says to me "I have a pink Siamese Dream", I’ll think about a different colour: the really light pink one.

Your "pink" one seems to belong to that "red" family. (See my first post.)

Maroon/purple: I think right here there’s another point of confusion. What is maroon? What is purple? Apparently maroon can mean quite a range of colours. I personally thought maroon is red-brown (like the labels on the vinyl), but that doesn’t mean this is the one and only correct definition.
      Look at honeymade’s copy, for example: I’d call one of those two vinyls maroon. And I think it looks very different from the purple vinyl.

Your "peach" copy: not sure if this is the same as my peach one (and the peach one of mr. benway), or if it’s closer to my orange copy that has some white and red mixed in. The picture isn’t clear enough.
      Once again, maybe people think of a different colour when they hear "peach". (I think of the colour of the Rocket 7", which has always been called peach. Right?)

I think it would be interesting to agree on a way to name the SD vinyl colours.
      For example, when we discuss the different pressings, it would be nice if we could all be thinking of the same colours if someone mentions peach or pink.
      Do you guys agree, or do you think this is a bit over the top/not care at all?

Thom
      Spectator

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Shades_of_pink
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Shades_of_violet

looking at these I’d say my copies are 1) cerise pink, 2) coral pink, 3) a redish version of byzantium violet. The last one’s the hardest to put a name to, partly because it has so many spots that are all sorts of different colors.

You know what the best way to sort out the confusion is? either make a thread or really nicely ask arthur to make a page showing all the different colours you can find and have a number for each one. then when you want to know what colour someone’s copy is get them to look it up against that list and say \"colour number 3\" or whatever. Just make sure all the pictures are against a white background in sunlight or something to make sure they all relate to each other.

Danni
      Spectator

I’d call these 1 pink, 2 peach, 3 maroon/purple.[/quote:35xcjum0]
      I can see why one would call these pink, peach and maroon/purple.

But I think it creates a lot of confusion. Let’s take that "pink" one. Surely, if you own this, and you’d have to describe the colour, you’d say pink. But then if someone says to me "I have a pink Siamese Dream", I’ll think about a different colour: the really light pink one.

Your "pink" one seems to belong to that "red" family. (See my first post.)

Maroon/purple: I think right here there’s another point of confusion. What is maroon? What is purple? Apparently maroon can mean quite a range of colours. I personally thought maroon is red-brown (like the labels on the vinyl), but that doesn’t mean this is the one and only correct definition.
      Look at honeymade’s copy, for example: I’d call one of those two vinyls maroon. And I think it looks very different from the purple vinyl.

Your "peach" copy: not sure if this is the same as my peach one (and the peach one of mr. benway), or if it’s closer to my orange copy that has some white and red mixed in. The picture isn’t clear enough.
      Once again, maybe people think of a different colour when they hear "peach". (I think of the colour of the Rocket 7", which has always been called peach. Right?)

I think it would be interesting to agree on a way to name the SD vinyl colours.
      For example, when we discuss the different pressings, it would be nice if we could all be thinking of the same colours if someone mentions peach or pink.
      Do you guys agree, or do you think this is a bit over the top/not care at all?[/quote:35xcjum0]

No, no. I think you might be on to something right here. So the sharp pink vinyl might be the "red" one? Yeah, that might be accurate. This is causing me some confusion though.

Thom
      Spectator

I’m almost certain that the one I called maroon/purple is the first pressing. After that came all the orange ones that CAIC grouped together. The hot pink one I have pictured first only appeared a few years ago. Maybe 3 or 4 years ago, anyone remember?

hot pink = darker pink, right?

i’m not sure about the pressings. i got most copies second hand, so i can’t always put an original release date next to a copy.

i do know that i bought the peach one (lightest orange one) more than five but less than ten years ago, sealed, in a record store. this record store keeps ordering new siamese dreams from the factory or an official european provider, so i assume the peach one was the latest pressing at that time. i bought another sealed one from the same place two or three years ago, and it contained a black vinyl (= latest re-issue on caroline).

i’m a bit confused by the term \"pressing\". if you say the first pressing was on purple vinyl, does that mean that everyone who bought a siamese dream vinyl when it came out got one on purple vinyl? how many copies do you think were made on purple vinyl then? must be thousands.
      or is it possible they made a limited amount on purple vinyl, for example, and then a lot more on orange, and these were all made available at the time of the release? would the combination of both colours be considered the first pressing then?

Thom
      Spectator

hot pink = bright pink. top left in my photo.

from what i know the purple/maroon is the earliest or original. I guess that when it was released all copies were that colour and the orange/peach came afterwards but I don’t know for sure. They seemed to make those orange ones for a very, very long time. They seemed by far the most common. the pink came after that i think, just before the black ones.

you could try asking shawn, collectspumpkins about the early pressings. he probably has a better idea than me.

Sven
      Spectator

hot pink = bright pink. top left in my photo.

from what i know the purple/maroon is the earliest or original. I guess that when it was released all copies were that colour and the orange/peach came afterwards but I don’t know for sure. They seemed to make those orange ones for a very, very long time. They seemed by far the most common. the pink came after that i think, just before the black ones.

you could try asking shawn, collectspumpkins about the early pressings. he probably has a better idea than me.[/quote:1jvo6knn]

pressing wise this is what i have always understoond too.
      first pressing > the marroon/purple/dark red ones
      subsequent pressings > pink/peach/salmon getting lighter and more true pinkish/red and even orange as time went by.

Arthur
      Spectator

The other is the UK multicolour copy. the pics on the site are pretty bad. These are a bit better.[/quote:tm5vafdv]
      Indeed, that pic on the site came from eil.com. Thom, could you send us separate pics of the multicolor vinyl, all sides?

On a sidenote, maybe it’s time to re-arrange this upload in the right colors, in the order of appearance.

http://www.spfreaks.com/default.aspx?pa … &item=1102

Or maybe better, give each color it’s own upload? I’ll leave the discussion to you guys, however, I will humbly follow… :wink:

manillascissor
      Keymaster

Personally, I kinda like having all the colors together under one release, as it makes it easier to compare.

Anonymous
      Spectator

I agree with manilla
      also when they are all together like that it looks like edible album candy

Sven
      Spectator

Personally, I kinda like having all the colors together under one release, as it makes it easier to compare.[/quote:36mmiy4m]

agreed-

as long as we not quite sure as per the pressing stuff-

just put ALL colours in a ‘rainbow’ gallery below one single entry :)

I put in my UK wlp/tp at the bottom just because the one on the site comes in one of those hut bags. This has a picture sleeve but it’s not the finished version, it has a matt finish rather than the pretty slick surface of the regular production copies.[/quote:3vv6yla5]
      i don’t really think this is anything special: all uk sleeves are matt. the us sleeves are glossy.

Arthur
      Spectator

I think this one really looks red, and both discs are even the same color, judging by this pic only.

Still for sale on eBay Japan (price now on 8 bucks), for who’s interested. eBay #300375605993.

mr.benway
      Spectator

[color-blind]
      This looks more like the maroon-vinyl. :roll:

And i’m still looking for a real \"pink\" Siamese Dream.

Arthur
      Spectator

And i’m still looking for a real "pink" Siamese Dream.[/quote:34ct3y26]
      I happened to come across one on eBay that looked rather pinkish to me. #380186119119 (43 bucks, buy now)

that’s not pink. it’s just a bad picture from the orange/peach vinyl. don’t buy this if pink vinyl is what you’re after.

and i also think that previous one you posted is what can best be described as maroon. it’s close to the purple swirly vinyl, but maybe the different colours have mixed a bit more, resulting in this maroon colour.
      i haven’t got that colour variation yet, so i might check out that auction.

i have two pink ones, by the way.

I think this one really looks red, and both discs are even the same color, judging by this pic only.

Still for sale on eBay Japan (price now on 8 bucks), for who’s interested. eBay #300375605993.

[/quote:5p2htrmi]
      got it. i hope this doesn’t turn out to be a purple one. the pictures aren’t that good, and they didn’t send me new ones.

Arthur
      Spectator

got it. i hope this doesn’t turn out to be a purple one. the pictures aren’t that good, and they didn’t send me new ones.[/quote:35w56gaw]
      If you don’t want it in the end, I’m in for a trade, maybe. I have the Siamese Dream black vinyl, and always wanted the red or maroon version too. Although the pink version is very cool too, as a second (but almost first) choice. Well, let me know someday. Meantime, enjoy this Japanese beauty. 8)

got it. i hope this doesn’t turn out to be a purple one. the pictures aren’t that good, and they didn’t send me new ones.[/quote:2n70q4d0]
      it’s a purple one. typical.

i’m going to hang on to my siamese dream vinyls for now though.

mr.benway
      Spectator

Here is a family picture of my colored Siamese Dream Vinyls, the ‘new’ one in the middle.
      The ‘orange’ is a little bit translucent.

wow, check out this ebay auction for a purple vinyl siamese dream: http://www.ebay.com/itm/270807121449
      it went for $114.45!
      crazy. :shock:

manillascissor
      Keymaster

that’s an interesting set, as they are identical in color

aren’t the purple ones usually identical in colour?

i thought it were mainly the sets that are close to red (pinkish red or orangy red) that differ in colour.

mr.benway
      Spectator

wow, check out this ebay auction for a purple vinyl siamese dream: http://www.ebay.com/itm/270807121449
      it went for $114.45!
      crazy. :shock:[/quote:2i78t0uh]
      this purple siamese dream has a nice marbling :-)
      bur the price is really crazy for a purple one…

it is really crazy. remember the days where the purple one was estimated at about $40 and people where like \"omg, that’s a lot for a siamese dream vinyl. it must be quite rare.\"

i think the purple one is the prettiest.

jawn till dusk
      Spectator

Would these be purple/pink/peach/orange?

<a href="http://postimg.org/image/iq9mjluz1/:2ib5eyhp][/url:2ib5eyhp”>

Arthur
      Spectator

To me it looks on top: pink (left) and peach (right), and on the bottom: orange (left) and purple (right).

Is any of the vinyl owners here willing to scan his pink Siamese Dream vinyl for this page? Thanks!

http://www.spfreaks.com/?page=COLLDETAILS&item=1102

\"Not shown here (yet) is the pink version. Hopefully we will get those scans soon.\"

manillascissor
      Keymaster

i’d love to but scanning a 12\" is so hard to do, unless you want a scan that is partially cropped?

Viewing 48 reply threads

The forum ‘Collecting Items’ is closed to new topics and replies.