Viewing 36 reply threads
  • Author

Sven
      Spectator

Very good article! Thanks Sven! 8)

http://www.smashingpumpkins.com/pages/a … s-in-print

(I noticed one of my actual posters is in the article! :lol: )

amnesia
      Spectator

Yeah, the Cabaret Metro poster. :P
      Indeed its a good article.Thank you Sven. 8)

Arthur
      Spectator

I recognized my carpet! :lol:

\"The most striking of these might very well be the awesome ‘art-nouveau’ lettered and styled poster to the New Year’s Eve show at Metro, Chicago. That one; as far as I am concerned is a true gem of poster art.\"

wow… 8)

Didn’t blueczarina own that very same poster too?

amnesia
      Spectator

Yes she does. 8)

blueczarina
      Spectator

yes i do 8)

that’s your poster? cool! i want one :P

Arthur
      Spectator

yes i do 8)[/quote:2fnk4oy3]
      Read what Sven says of our poster? 8)

blueczarina
      Spectator

can’t argue there. when i first saw the pic of your poster i thought it was quite the gem- one of the neatest looking posters i have seen. i feel lucky to have one. 8) :wink:

Anonymous
      Spectator

how many of these posters are known to exist :?:
      very cool poster..and it’s in perfect condition-wow impressive 8)

Arthur
      Spectator

how many of these posters are known to exist :?:
      very cool poster..and it’s in perfect condition-wow impressive 8)[/quote:1wjpuoyu]
      Yeah, mine is in mint condition… No holes and stains whatsoever… The guy that sold it to me years ago said he worked at Metro, Chicago at that times, and he remembered this poster was only used inside the Metro, hanging behind glass, so nobody could steal them. He recalls less then 5 were there. After the concert of Smashing Pumpkins he was allowed to take 2 of the posters, and 1 of them he sold to me. He sold the other one also if I remember well. But my guess is that there must be more, like 25 or 50 or so. Otherwise it is too expensive to manufacure in this quality, right?

manillascissor
      Keymaster

my audio vanguard association is on there too. :D

great article sven. it’s awesome just looking at all those posters.

Anonymous
      Spectator

The posters look way better than that avatar manilla…it’s bothering me and I only seen it 2 times :?
      the posters look good enough to eat

blueczarina
      Spectator

your kurt avatar is a bit weird- at least i think that’s who it is. :wink:

blueczarina
      Spectator

manillascissor
      Keymaster

thanks for the options blue. i think i’ll stick with the one i made.

and reggae, your billy avatar has always bothered me. ;) :lol: :P

blueczarina
      Spectator

but its fingerlicking billy :lol:

Danni
      Spectator

Pumpkins, Catherine AND The Chainsaw Kittens!?

Wow, this would’ve been pure heaven for me. These are my three favourite bands.

But guys, where did you get these posters, Artie and Blueczarina? :?

Arthur
      Spectator

I found mine on eBay a few years ago, and I just HAD to have it!

Danni
      Spectator

I found mine on eBay a few years ago, and I just HAD to have it![/quote:1hh37u57]

You know, I would completely die for that one. I just love the gothic feel of it.
      But I bet it costed a fortune?

Also: Sven’s article was totally great!

Arthur
      Spectator

Yeah kinda, I mean, for a poster. If I remember well it was a little over 100 bucks as tons of people were bidding. But please bear with me, it was a long time ago already… :?

blueczarina was more lucky on hers recently, right blue?

Anonymous
      Spectator

thanks for the options blue. i think i’ll stick with the one i made.

and reggae, your billy avatar has always bothered me. ;) :lol: :P[/quote:25fz8uur]

but its fingerlicking billy :lol:[/quote:25fz8uur]

yea, you’ve made that clear before, ;)
      but at least mine looks good :D..what can you say about yours? not so good huh! :?
      finger licking Billy is perfect :P

Arthur
      Spectator

Couldn’t help noticing that Sven’s latest article about the Smashing Pumpkins posters is one of his most read (1,373 views, and still rapidly counting… :shock: ) also. Only his If All Goes Wrong article from October 2008 (1,500+ views) and his Gossamer article from December 2008 (2,700+) had more views so far. Pretty good job, Sven! Hats off to you! 8)

Anonymous
      Spectator

getting good looks Sven :)
      keep up the good work!

blueczarina
      Spectator

Yeah kinda, I mean, for a poster. If I remember well it was a little over 100 bucks as tons of people were bidding. But please bear with me, it was a long time ago already… :?

blueczarina was more lucky on hers recently, right blue?[/quote:q58rtcin]

mine was $50 and i was the only bidder. it was a short auction and that was the starting bid, so yay for me. :wink:

Sven
      Spectator

Couldn’t help noticing that Sven’s latest article about the Smashing Pumpkins posters is one of his most read (1,373 views, and still rapidly counting… :shock: ) also. Only his If All Goes Wrong article from October 2008 (1,500+ views) and his Gossamer article from December 2008 (2,700+) had more views so far. Pretty good job, Sven! Hats off to you! 8)[/quote:vgt6nkc7]

Thnx Arthur!

Thnx you guys and gals over here for the props on this article and previous ones.

Somehow it’s a kinda ‘struggle’ for me with these more ‘historical/histrionic’ articles i love to do and i am all about-
      Or, better- it used to be- as the band is of course striving and moving onwards in the present day…
      So: why dabble in the past, right?
      Well: now with FQ digging through the Archive the momentum is great for me to chip in with my personal research done from 1994 onwards :)
      The poster article was a precious one for me to do as i’ve been wanting to deal with this art-side of the band for quite a long time- not in the least part because this poster art totally opens the doors to appreciation of so-called ‘high-art’ to a lot of people, but also because it’s such an interesting topic to deal with as the US has quite a tradition (as perfectly exemplified in the mentioned book ‘The Art of Rock and Roll’) where Europe more or less totally doesn’t…

I am not quite sure as to my next topic – be it current or historical-

If you guys and gals have ANY input or topic you want to see covered by me-
      Reply in this thread and I will see what I can do!!

In my article I indeed explicitly mention the New Year’s Eve poster-
      This – to me – is one of the earliest examples of truly stunning TSP-art; in a style (art-nouveau) which is also quite dear to my heart and taste-
      That’s why I singled that one out in particular-

(it’s been a few months and I guess I can try to pick up the contact- but: I’m in touch with the guy(s) from the band BC was in BETWEEN The Marked and TSP… now: as said- there’s no use over @ TSP.com for me to cover this band or whatever, not even now… I mean: featuring this one poster by The Marked is ok as The Marked was/is featured in Vieuphoria and the band’s ‘official history’ per such… but as you can clearly see– there’s a lot more artwork by and for The Marked I have and know of, but which was left unmentioned, as the main focus was obviously on TSP all the way… however: I guess I might be able to squeeze out an interview with one or two bandmembers of this very band between The Marked and TSP and even maybe get a chance to hear and review some of the recorded material… as I know now a recording has been found by one of them… As I can’t use this for TSP.com I am considering asking the guys if it’s OK to do this for SPFreaks. However: right now- I am VERY busy- so this could very well take quite a while- still: even after this many years… it’s still possible to find out stuff like this!- i even spoke on the phone at length to one of the guys about this band already… this little bit just meant to test the waters over here @ SPFreaks to see if you’re interested in an article/interview on this elusive band right between the closure and dissolution of The Marked and the nascent Smashing Pumpkins… if you ARE- then please give me the time to set this up and work this out and we will feature this here @ SPFreaks if that’s OK with you all…)

blueczarina
      Spectator

that sounds cool Sven 8) and i love art nouveau too. my own art is pretty heavily influenced by that and poster art.

Arthur
      Spectator

I definately would want to see such article, Sven! Another band between The Marked and Smashing Pumpkins? And Billy Corgan was member of that band? If that is true, and can be proven, and even includes recorded music that we might spread from our place here, maybe, possibly… It would rewrite history! It would be a big bang in the community! Damn! :shock:

some pumpkins
      Spectator

^^ what arthur said!!

artical was great sven, the posters are so cool, i loved reading about them. and as for other stuff i would like to read about, well, you always write such informative, interesting articals, so anything would be great.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

i’m definitely up for the spfreaks exclusive. i think that would be great news!

Anonymous
      Spectator

prety much what bullet said :)
      You have to post out info that’s how people become aware of things :)
      so keep it up!!!
      Plus it’s just really neato :D

Sven
      Spectator

Peeps here!!!!

I just wanted to send a MASSIVE thnx to all of you / us over here!!!!

I just checked the Poster article on TSP.com and it hit 3.333 views!!!!

That’s MASSIVE!!!!!

And I couldn’t have done this without all your contributions to SPFreaks.com!
      As all imagelinks are taken from here!!!

So- a major, massive and above all genuinie and fellow-fan THNX to all of you!!!!
      3.333 views for a PMM article is massive….

Love you for your efforts!!!

—-

Also:

Thnx for the props!

Also:

I will do my best regardering the ‘other’ article-!!!!
      YES!!!!
      I think this band never played live.
      I have heard demo recordings though through the phone of material I know from The Marked played by this ‘band’ and original material between these guys!
      And: nope- this is not a Ron Roesing trying to make himself more important than he was or is kinda story-
      At least one of these people DID go on the be IMPORTANT and confirmed this band and his (be it VERY slight!!!!!!) involvement (for HIS part that is!) with this band-
      Working on it-
      More to follow soon—-

(owww yeah- uhmmm- reading back some posts… I have to say: it’s not a band between The Marked and TSP, but pre-The Marked even!— still: there ARE recordings! these are true and genuine! plus: between The Marked and TSP (1987-1988) there’s a gap too! James was still in Snake Train, BUT; i’ve done some research (ahum, SOME, ahum) and it turns out ST was SO ‘punk-rock’ James could play it with his eyes closed so the speak so he didn’t turn up for rehearsals or something… which fits in with him spending time with BC to record and rehearse and write and whatever… as is evidenced in ‘I Fall’ which, according to BC, is a dec87 demo recording by BC+JI and thus; while JI was also still in ST…!!! so- there’s kindalike an era before The Marked and some time after The Marked, but before ‘I Fall’ (I have specifically asked BC: ‘So this is you and James; would you consider this to be the first TSP-recording?!’ To which he answered: ‘Yes: The Marked was over and done with, Ron was out; it was me and James; plus- this was the first time my vision of what I wanted my band to be started to form.’ Still- Ron Roesing WASN’T totally OUT per se as per the NEC demo tape and so there’s a lot to be cleared up… owwwww—- I just love it like this as new bits and pieces turn up all the time!!!!!)

manillascissor
      Keymaster

fucking amazing.

blueczarina
      Spectator

awesomeness

so is it like this stuff

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hYPo2py77A[/youtube]

where does Hexen fall in?

mr.benway
      Spectator

fucking amazing.[/quote:1nw8p5fl]
      yeah, that’s really fucking amazing…

phantastic research sven…
      and i’m curious what’s next…

Arthur
      Spectator

I just checked the Poster article on TSP.com and it hit 3.333 views!!!!

That’s MASSIVE!!!!![/quote:7nct8fxo]
      Indeed. And they just can’t stop reading, it’s on 3688 hits now. Some articles don’t even get 3688 – 3333 = 355 hits… 8)

Sven
      Spectator

there’s a new one coming up end of this week-

i’ve even got another one ready to go-

just got a lead unto another nice one containing a topic rarely touched upon concerning TSP, hopefully coming up after that one-

>>> the one on the subject of the ‘pre-historic’ band prior to TSP, even to The Marked, in depth; I am very busy now and will try to write this in the next two months for SPFreaks as there’s no place for this subject on sp.com…. working on it and it’s looking good as leads are true and awesome, lines are there, info is coming in and all… sit tight, wait and see- i hope to pull this off, but it might take some time to turn into a quality piece of research. it’s just i know lack the time- preparing for an interview with trent reznor and much more work still, so please bear with me, ok?, thnx.

Viewing 36 reply threads

The forum ‘General’ is closed to new topics and replies.