Viewing 30 reply threads
  • Author

mr.benway
      Spectator

Arthur
      Spectator

Looking good! Can’t wait to see that stuff irl.

Sven
      Spectator

and the first reviews are in with a solid 10 for Siamese Dream! – >

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/160 … e-edition/

mirrorboxer
      Spectator

Pitchfork / Smashing Pumpkins / 10

ERROR. Does not compute.

marigold
      Spectator

:shock:

Sven
      Spectator

i just got the SD one–

the album sounds MASSIVE…!!!
      super super super clear… very very crisp!
      and: MASSIVE still…
      not per se a wall of sound, but very detailed, already very clear in CR…!

as for the SD bonus:

01. Pissant -> I would say another take, with loads of echo and flanger, but still a banger…

02. Siamese Dream -> TOTALLY different song to the Disarm 7: B-side; oh my god how they butchered this sister to HKK into the b-side version?! amazing song, great Pumpkins-jam! THE TRANSITION BETWEEN GISH AND SD as far as I am concerned…!!! :))) Amazing work there… Pumpkins-prime!!!! :) :) :) with LOADS of Hendrix in there, just listen to the very end… :)

(BC is SO right in his interviews on the re-issues— imagine this (and more to come and Pissant!) on SD…?! it would not have worked in any way!)

03. STP -> BC liked to call these songs: \"riff-a-thons\"… another bridge between old school heavy metal and blues and rock and all TSP were back then… Basically it’s kinda like Geek USA which is great because of the break downs and the drumming, but as per the riff(s) it’s pretty simple…. I’ve always filed STP as a percursor to Geek USA…

04. F+B -> the song is there, but this is an amazing version!!! very raw and ‘live’ I think and no vocals…! great solo work too… the band as a thing in its prime with guitar duels and all…

05. Luna -> a demo???? a lot of echo and reverb on both voice and guitar… a nice, very nice one, per me: preferred to the album version….

06. Quiet -> MASSIVE-rock mayhem… sounds like something not used on Vieuphoria as per the mix, which is pretty bad and muddy…TSP gives it their best, but my idea is they never ever got the impact of Quiet quite right on stage, nor here, but this take is getting pretty close…

07. Moleasskiss -> another transitional between Gish and SD…. just imagine this, HKK, F+B, Pissant and SD being on tjhe album and it would have been an epic fail… anoter riff-a-thon from the Pumpkins-vaults… a great ‘jam’, but indeed: a no-song per se…

08. Hello Kitty Kat -> the NOT destroyed mix and per thus: another groover from the Pumpkins files…I can just NOT imagine this on the album… Amazing version though!!!

09. Today -> dirty grungy version…. slightly slower, really grunge per se…

10. Never Let Me Down Again -> another mix? sound quite a lot better than the version on the Rocket 7\" or CDS…

11. Apathy’s Last Kiss -> as per the Japanese Today CDEP.

12. Ache -> Silverfuck before the massive Butch Vig production and everything, just the band having a splendid go…!!! Amazing track!!! Amazingly upfront bass guitar too!!!

13. USA -> an amazing jam-like song, which, AFAIC, could be a precursor to MCIS as per: Ruby for example… something like Plume-extended…

14. USSR -> why not? nobody knows. this could have been, together with USA that is, an amazing end to Silverfuck (live)

15. Spaceboy -> pretty lame to include this; a nice version without the strings, but basically the album take….

16. Rocket -> the intro is amazingly cool and exciting as is the rest of the song, much more ‘rocking’ than the album version… to me: the preferred version, this is!

17. Disarm -> no strings, basically the same as the album, very nice…

18. Soma -> no mega production, basically the ‘same’ as the album… but with a different break/solo part… DIRTY distortion after the mellow part…

all in all:
      there are way more gems in the archives I have and all…
      still…
      the SD one gives a great look inside the musical growth of the epic album….

the following days I will post a review of the vinyls. And of Gish.

Arthur
      Spectator

Wow, thanks for these reviews, Sven, now I REALLY can’t wait to have a listen too. Amazon send it already, so hopefully I will have it anyday soon. Sounds like a release VERY worthwhile to have been released. And can’t wait to read your other reviews.

mirrorboxer
      Spectator

the album sounds MASSIVE…!!!
      super super super clear… very very crisp!

as for the SD bonus:

02. Siamese Dream -> TOTALLY different song to the Disarm 7: B-side; oh my god how they butchered this sister to HKK into the b-side version?! amazing song, great Pumpkins-jam! THE TRANSITION BETWEEN GISH AND SD as far as I am concerned…!!! :))) Amazing work there… Pumpkins-prime!!!! :) :) :) with LOADS of Hendrix in there, just listen to the very end… :)

(BC is SO right in his interviews on the re-issues— imagine this (and more to come and Pissant!) on SD…?! it would not have worked in any way!)

18. Soma -> no mega production, basically the ‘same’ as the album… but with a different break/solo part… DIRTY distortion after the mellow part…

[/quote:u6onkzc7]

MASSIVE might be an understatement. I can’t believe how many layers you can actually hear this time around. There is so much separation and room to breathe that I can hear so many details I didn’t realize were there.

Siamese Dream: This version is incredible when compared to the 7"
      also, I can’t help but laugh when Billy gets silly. He even cracked himself up twice. The end puts me in stiches :lol:

Sven
      Spectator

edit – Apathy’s Last Kiss is another mix compared to the one on the Today CDEP.

also:
      i just got the vinyls and deluxe sets and am in awe; these are amazing!
      the sound quality is just stellar on both albums.
      still need to check out the rest…

Sauli
      Spectator

How about the video& audio quality of DVD’s?

Sven
      Spectator

gonna watch those tonight… :)

Sven
      Spectator

make sure to get the vinyls!!!

– very heavy pressing
      – insane sound
      – brilliant new mixes with amazing clarity and definition
      – glossy sleeves and insert sheet
      – SD -> extra inner sleeves with nice print on heavy stock
      – Gish -> gatefold sleeve!
      – SD -> 2LP
      – Gish -> 1LP
      – 180 gram virgin vinyl pressings

deluxe editions:
      – very heavy boxes
      – nice inserts
      – heavy stock card sleeves for the discs
      – track listing sheet
      – typo of Down on the back of SD in stead of Drown
      – SD -> postcards with the lyrics as written on the original edition
      – Gish -> postcards with very nice photos
      – download code for Barb Wire and the 8-track Drown demo
      – nice essays and track notes by BC on both

still have to watch the dvd’s, introductions on both by Joe Shanahan by the way!

Gish bonus cd review coming up… :)

Sven
      Spectator

as for the Gish bonus cd—

01. Starla (2011 mix) -> great new mix, loads of definition, great clarity. Remixed by Kerry Brown and Bjorn Thorsrud.

02. Siva (Peel Sessions) -> the infamous monster version… :) no remixing.

03. Honeyspider (2011 mix) -> great new mix, very well balanced… remixed by Howard Willing.

04. Hippy Trippy -> a nice little demo for Crush, mixed by Howard Willing.

05. Snail -> live at VPRO Radio, The Netherlands on 920115; very LOUD!!!! no remixing?! :) INSANE SOUND PRESSURE LEVELS :) much better quality than the recording found on MP!!!

06. Plume (2011 mix) -> great new mix, loads of definition, massive bass!, remixed by Kerry Brown.

07. Bury Me (2011 mix) -> stunning new mix with superb bass sound! stellar drums too… very tight and choppy in the powerchord part, mixed by Howard Willing.

08. Daydream (old house demo) -> extreme amounts of flanger and echo on voice and guitar, very chimy and dreamlike whispered…, mixed by Howard Willing.

09. Tristessa (single version, 2011 mix) -> ‘we’re ready\" plus countdown by JC at the start!!!, beefed up the bottom end, turned down the treble; sound massive, remixed by Butch Vig.

10. Girl Named Sandoz (Peel Sessions) -> groovy as always…, no remixing.

11. Jesus is the Sun -> apartment demo from 1990… same as on MP I think…, mixed by Howard Willing.

12. Blue (gish sessions demo) -> the acoustic demo, the one NOT on PI…; the one with the bongos; the same as on MP I think… very nice and mellow and understated…, no remixing.

13. Smiley (gish sessions demo) -> seems to be from the same session as the Blue take…. bongos and all, very slow and hushed… same as on MP I think…, no remixing.

14. I Am One (2011 mix) -> the Reall Time Studios version… beefed up and slightly dirtier in the distorted guitar, overall a little bit muddy maybe even, less clear and sparkling than the released version on the demo tape and Limited Potential single… I tend to like the original mix better…,remixed by Howard Willing.

15. Seam (Suffer / apartment demo) -> very trippy and hippy version with cool bongos and heavy bass drum sound… chimy and a nice tambourine… plus some very spacy sounds/samples even… far out…! :) on Gish the song seems to fade away in the shade between the massive songs, but on its own in this version it’s very very nice, really cool and very well sung vocals!, mixed by Howard Willing…

16. La Dolly Vita (2011 mix) -> the original mix already was a stellar job, not that much going on here in the new mix, apart from the guitars being a bit more hippy and reverby/echolike in the opening half… , remixed by Butch Vig.

17. Pulseczar -> the version found on Earphoria, no remixing. why this is included? no idea… there’s loads more of goodies, but hey, with so much nice stuff going on, it’s just BCs humour i guess, just like Spaced at the end of PI…

18. Drown (alt. guitar solo) -> recorded at Smart Studios with Butch Vig, NOT the one from either the Waterfront Studios or the one played on the Kink FM Radio show ‘The Night of The Smashing Pumpkins’.

also:

edit on the SD bonus cd:

STP and Moleasskiss don’t seem to be the same takes as found on MP…

also:
      both re-issues mastered by:
      Erven Göknar at Capitol (and on SD bonus tr 15 + 17 by Bob Ludwig at Gateway).
      so they didn’t go with the trusted all time mastering by Howie Weinberg at Masterdisk this time…!

Sven
      Spectator

also:

it was a good move to reserve my copies…
      the record store in Utrecht, The Netherlands said to have had a massive stock and sold out of all SD (deluxe and standard edition) within a couple of hours.
      they only had one Gish standard and one deluxe left…

so, thing are working out just brilliant for these re-issues… :)

Arthur
      Spectator

What was the price of the deluxe edition in Utrecht? Just curious. I paid 54.45 USD including shipment US->NL, almost 41 Euro that is, for both the Gish and Siamese Dream deluxe editions together. Just curious if the retail price is somewhat the same… :wink:

Sven
      Spectator

29.99 per deluxe set.

Arthur
      Spectator

Sounds fair for such quality release, after all it is a box with 2 cds and 1 dvd, sold at a retailer with a shop and personel to be paid.

But anyway, man-o-man, I can’t wait to listen to these beauties!

milan
      Spectator

I don’t have the MP set available at the moment, but as far as I can tell the Jesus is the Sun is the same song but with a different mix. Version on Gish deluxe has a lot more reverb in the vocals at least?

Pulseczar was probably included to put as much on the disc as possible?

Sven
      Spectator

I don’t have the MP set available at the moment, but as far as I can tell the Jesus is the Sun is the same song but with a different mix. Version on Gish deluxe has a lot more reverb in the vocals at least?

Pulseczar was probably included to put as much on the disc as possible?[/quote:1ou7u6hf]

Yep, comparison:

– Jesus is the Sun = the MP version but with a different mix, which is quite logic, but I will explain in person… sometime… :)

– Pulseczar -> yeah, why? he should have done Jeniffer Ever for example.. I know why not, but still…. :(

Sven
      Spectator

How about the video& audio quality of DVD’s?[/quote:212kofp4]

For the Gish dvd: as so old and all… it’s quite OK… i’d say and 7,5 per audio.. somehow the drums are aqwesoe but it just does not feel that the rest comes from the band or something….
      The audio is much better than the bootleg I’ve had for ages…!!! :)
      Rhinoceros is amazinly good for example!!! just check the amazing and massive bass ans the snare drum therein!!!—
      Basically iy’s a bunch of really metal-hard rocking hippies… :)
      ‘Razor’ is the MOST AMAZING VERSION EVER!!!!—
      i know this audio only but this one is better per audio and there’s video…
      i’ve seen the video at the final show (aftershow)….!
      this is an amazing funky and bluesy version!!!!!
      Hello Hendrix— Hello Band of Gypsies!!!— :)

For the SD dvd: that one is MAYHEM as per crowdsurfers and the band is not that good there, but the sound quality is a solid 8,3 at least…
      The audio is amazingly better than any bootleg of this show!

What was the price of the deluxe edition in Utrecht? Just curious. I paid 54.45 USD including shipment US->NL, almost 41 Euro that is, for both the Gish and Siamese Dream deluxe editions together. Just curious if the retail price is somewhat the same… :wink:[/quote:11fw7cnv]
      i went to the shop and bought the two deluxe editions today. they were 21.90 euro each.

i’ve noticed that the deluxe editions have a little sticker that says: "Packaged in USA; Disc(s) Mexico". they also have the FBI anti-piracy warning. so i assume that all deluxe editions are the same worldwide. just like that zeitgeist "photo book edition", for example.

other things i’ve noticed:
      – on the back of the siamese dream deluxe set, on that paper insert, the tracklist for the dvd says \"down\" instead of \"drown\". on the sleeve inside the box it’s spelled fine.
      – the gish track by track includes some comment on \"i’m going crazy\". however, on the regular gish reissue, the single disc one, \"i’m going crazy\" isn’t mentioned in the liner notes. weird.

Arthur
      Spectator

the tracklist for the dvd says "down" instead of "drown".[/quote:2we8pzoh]
      Misspellings immediately triple the collectors’ value! I’m going to buy at least 50 of them now! :shock:

AW YEAH! 8)

mirrorboxer
      Spectator

I took the dive yesterday and bought the vinyl reissues. I wasn’t planning on it but they are soooo shiney 8) I couldn’t pass them up. Actually, it’s because I collect vinyl first and foremost and that’s how I’ll listen to the album proper. I got the deluxe for the bonus and dvd.

The vinyl is AMAZING. I can’t believe how much depth there is. I’m glad they did a mastering specifically for the vinyl release. I can honestly tell that they did. I haven’t done any waveforms to prove my claim but my ears can not hear any clipping and I didn’t notice any sibilance. Which in todays world is saying something. I can really hear the layering on SD and small effect that passed over me before (in the fade outs). I’m going to listen to the Gish vinyl tonite. If you have the means you should hear the vinyl. I’m astounded how articulate the pressing is. I’ll have more examples tomorrow.

my vinyl records arrived today. i ordered them off amazon last week.

looks like the records are also american imports. just like the deluxe editions.

arthur, you ordered your cds from the american amazon, right? did you also buy the single disc versions of the remastered albums?

Arthur
      Spectator

arthur, you ordered your cds from the american amazon, right? did you also buy the single disc versions of the remastered albums?[/quote:icy1e0yy]
      Right, but did not receive them yet. And no, I did not order the single disc versions, I expected them to be the same discs as in the deluxe boxes. Am I wrong?

well, i don’t know.
      i was just thinking that the single disc releases would be different around the world – unlike the deluxe edition. so i was wondering what the US single disc releases would look like etc.

doesn’t matter. we’ll find out one day.

i’ve noticed that the deluxe editions have a little sticker that says: "Packaged in USA; Disc(s) Mexico". they also have the FBI anti-piracy warning.[/quote:3lacwijl]

i was wondering, for the people who already have the deluxe edition of gish and/or siamese dream, does the dvd have this logo on it? and where did you get your copy? please also specify the country. thank you.

Arthur
      Spectator

Today I finally received my 2 deluxe boxes from Amazon. They contain the little sticker \"Packaged in USA Disc(s) Mexico\". BTW, they were taxed with 20 Euro by the local Tax Authority! :evil:

But no, my dvds do not have that FSK logo. What I also find a little peculiar, is that the Siamese Dream dvd does not have the THREE text on it.

mr.benway
      Spectator

i was wondering, for the people who already have the deluxe edition of gish and/or siamese dream, does the dvd have this logo on it? and where did you get your copy? please also specify the country. thank you.
      [/quote:1k4geq3p]

The FSK Logo is used in Germany.
      FSK = Freiwillige Selbstkontrolle der Filmwirtschaft.
      It’s a German motion picture rating system.

Here you find some more information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freiwillig … wirtschaft

I’ve bought the deluxe sets @ amazon.de, and they have these logos on the dvd.

Here are the matrix-codes for the dvds
      Gish: DVSS-3134880A1 1 B06 IFPI L331 IFPI A??72

Siamese Dream: two ring swith matrix codes (never seen this before)
      outer: DVDL-3134900A1 1 B06 IFPI L330
      inner : DVDL-3134900B1 1 B05 IFPI L333

Perhaps there are differences in the codes…

Viewing 30 reply threads

The forum ‘General’ is closed to new topics and replies.