Viewing 72 reply threads
  • Author

salkema
      Spectator

Hello everyone, I am looking for all the SP tapes and billy’s tapes from 1987 to 1989. I am very interested in this era which we know very little about. If anyone who knows who might have this tapes except for billy and ron roesing please msg me. Feel free to contribute!

salkema
      Spectator

Impressive. I do have some of these tapes but I am more interested in the 1987-1988 demos. The one that has Greta Garbo, Lenny’s Happy sometimes, lock me up, it suits me well..etc. I have all of the marked tapes except the one you have which includes the earth stood still and now that i feel. Are all of those you have original copies including the nothing ever changes? if so who do you got it from?

oh no, don’t get me wrong. i don’t own any tapes. i just have the audio. most of it i found online.

are you looking for mp3 or for lossless audio (flac or shn)?

salkema
      Spectator

mp3 or if it is possible the tapes physically.

haha. good luck with that. :lol:

so, you’re interested in this tape from the marked, right: http://www.spfreaks.com/default.aspx?pa … &item=1713
      i can make mp3s and upload them.

you have the rest, right?

i don’t think a tape with greta garbo is out there.
      you seem to know more about this tape, as you are listing 4 song titles. i didn’t know a tracklist was known. what do you know about this tape, and where did you get this information from?
      are you just assuming that a couple of songs are on it, or is the content of this tape documented somewhere?

i found info about a demo tape that has greta garbo, but it doesn’t have the other titles you mentioned.
      it does have a track called \"hope\", which might be the \"hope\" that is on still becoming apart.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.musi … urce&pli=1

salkema
      Spectator

Yes i am interested in that marked tape, please upload it.
      Now to the interesting stuff. That tape that has greta garbo is the one i am looking for. Do u know if dave asselin has copies of this? also is there an mp3 version of this tape?
      I am also looking another tape that has greta garbo as well. RER told me this was a 10 song tape that included Greta Garbo, It Suits Me Well (The Vigil) and a song by Len Ayala called Happy Sometimes. I am also interested in any other of billys tapes from 1986-1988… it would also be cool if the 60 minute NEC tape surfaces!

you can conclude from that google groups conversation that dave didn’t have that tape at the time he wrote that, nor had he ever heard it.

as far as i know, none of these greta garbo tapes are available.

i also find ron roesing not very reliable as a source. he might have a hidden agenda. i mean, no offence, maybe he’s telling the truth, but he’s been saying a lot, and i haven’t seen anything ever coming from it.

i’ll upload that tape of the marked when i feel like it. this involves walking upstairs and looking for the cd, so i doubt i’ll feel like it today. maybe tomorrow, although tuesday is more likely.

Sven
      Spectator

you can conclude from that google groups conversation that dave didn’t have that tape at the time he wrote that, nor had he ever heard it.

as far as i know, none of these greta garbo tapes are available.

i also find ron roesing not very reliable as a source. he might have a hidden agenda. i mean, no offence, maybe he’s telling the truth, but he’s been saying a lot, and i haven’t seen anything ever coming from it.

i’ll upload that tape of the marked when i feel like it. this involves walking upstairs and looking for the cd, so i doubt i’ll feel like it today. maybe tomorrow, although tuesday is more likely.[/quote:3fb7ohtv]

@ 1 – DA indeed went on knowledge from others when he made that post.

@ 2 – the ‘rumoured’ "Greta Garbo" – tape has not surfaced and as far as I know is not out there: indeed.

@ 3 – RER made a lot of money off fans by selling cdrs of the early tapes he had. those actual tapes were sold and bought by a collective of fans years ago. at least all the demos from The Marked that is. I believe the NEC songs RER has/had were included therein too. that would imply RER has sold the actual tapes by now. this I know quite sure.

@ 4 – RER does have some valid claims as there are others I’m still entertaining and researching. there’s a lot of hazy history in the early years still to be cleared up, yes. I’ve been researching those years for some 10 years now and am getting closer to a full picture, especially since I’ve heard a demo from yet another band before TSP with BC in it… to be continued, no doubt.

salkema
      Spectator

Which band are you talking about?
      Indeed this Garbo tape has created a lot of buzz plus I think only billy might have this tape.
      Also I will contact Len Ayala which is a key person for this era (I do have his contact info).
      So this Hope demo? is it a rumor? has it surfaced because at least they have a songlist.
      Also I remember Frank Quinto (SP archivist) stating in the sp.com website that he found a video or tape of the band rehearsing this song \"Lock me Up\" and that was before the NEC! Also Ron Roesing remembers this song, verse ) \"The poor boy i am prohibits me from being free
      Lock me up I coming home, cause i been away to long, been away to long you know its true…\" quote from Ron Roesing in a 2006 netphoria post.
      I believe billy might still have all this tapes and I also believe there can be a lot of interesting stuff about this era in the SP archives.
      Hope we get there Sven, I am doing my best!

Sven
      Spectator

@ 1 – let’s say it’s legit and true and will be out there in due time…

@ 2 – as for the \"Greta Garbo\" tape: NO! > someone else then BC has a tape with these songs.

@ 3 – maybe, indeed, Len will be able to provide some info…

@ 4 – ‘Hope’ is true and valid and real, period.

@ 5 – NEC has been around for several years; quite quite some years now!

@ 6 – Frank’s work is VERY valuable! – but, PLEASE!!! – get your own record straight in terms of time line(s) and more…!!!

@ 7 – RER’s memories??? – well: proof??? – then we’ll see…

@ 8 – NO! – BC does NOT have all the old stuff. if you’d read the boards and all correctly you’d known i’ve the first ever TSP song on tape because of researching like a mad-man for years and years… plus: I gave this take/recording to BC as he didn’t have it himself, even!!!

@ 9 – Yes! – there’s a lot to be found and researched. I for me am working on it. For years.

@ 10 – Still – what doesn’t ‘HELP’ is many peeps bugging people and such… just… trust me: there’s more, there will be more… what’s there to be had from Ron and Len and those peeps; it’s there… there’s more… just: give me the time and room and all… if there’s like several peeps coming in all is lost for sure…

so:
      – enjoy the music from the early tapes
      – tapes themselves? – sorry: no chance… those are gone and sold.
      – the tape with the first TSP-song? – sorry: no chance… it’s secure here, with me. (even BC has only a cdr copy take of it now)
      – please please please check ALL boards and more first!!! before you engage in action towards certain individuals!!!!
      – these people have been contacted over and over, you’re not the first.
      – check everywhere and when there’s a new thing, go for it… BUT!!!— make sure there’s a new thing!

An all new demo tape is out there and I’ve heard several parts of it via the phone.
      We might get this, one day.
      Prodding doesn’t help as this is an effort of over 5 years of research getting closer still…

So:
      stay tuned and check out what’s out there.

Also:
      an actual The Marked tape would fetch???
      > USD 1.500 – 2.000

If you’re willing to pay something like that….
      Go ahead and make an offer…
      To the people owning the The Marked tapes….

To me:
      it’s not about the actual tape(s)…
      it’s about the music…

Therefore:
      enough said in this/your topic.

I’m slightly disgusted, even, to be honest.

Why?
      As- for me it’s all about the music, per se.
      Upfront in all my research and all thru all the years.
      So missing in your post(s).

Disgusted; my final post herein.

salkema
      Spectator

Actually I only care about the music… besides I have no money to buy these expensive stuff.
      I have hope that it will surface over time.. I am just trying to help! I do think I have a clear picture of the years post-florida till 1988 in which the band \"evolved\" as far as songs and Ron and Len’s participation in the band. Speaking about early songs, whats the first ever SP song on tape? is it the 1987 \"I fall\"?

EAZYE121
      Spectator

To Sven:

this \"new\" band, is it coat of arms?

salkema
      Spectator

It might be.. but I know of this bands for years now. It’s nothing new. I think billy has been in 4 bands before TSP, those are Marked, Coat of Eyes, Hexen and Lex.

I had never heard of Lex before.

salkema
      Spectator

It was his high school band in 1982 way before Hexen. I think billy left the band because they started playing christian rock music.

Have you ever seen any Marked videos? other than scary neurotic song and the trance?

No, I don’t think I’ve seen any other videos.

I tried to upload that Marked tape yesterday, but it failed. I’ll try again tonight.

Arthur
      Spectator

this "new" band, is it coat of arms?[/quote:1gk1nh9s]
      No. It is a band called "Remove That Bible", but they were also going by the name "The Marinettis". Billy Corgan wringed the bass in that band for a short while, as far as Sven and me know/heard. There is a tape out there in the US (of course we can not say where now :wink: ) and it’s called "Ancient Times". It has songs with Corganesque titles like Dance V1, The Will Of God, Wastelands, Dance V2, Immediate Freshness, EO, Cherie Cherie, Dance, Workaholic, Radio Time, The Contender, I Wonder, Ancient Times, Like A Cloud and Ice. That’s almost all we know now, and are allowed to spread. Furthermore, Sven and me might be able to get a hold of that tape, or, in the worst case, its digital rip. And then we hopefully can release some or all songs by the end of March, or early of April, if all goes well. Details about that are discussed as we speak. Also we still need some extra confirmation from other sources, to know this is not another hoax. Keep you posted, and fingers crossed that we succeed! :)

Good luck, guys.

Do you know if (some of) those songs were written by Billy Corgan? Or is he just playing on them? Or is even that not certain?

salkema
      Spectator

Cool! Very interesting.

In which years this took place? as far as billy’s involvement in this band.

I tried to upload that Marked tape yesterday, but it failed. I’ll try again tonight.[/quote:3o84q4le]
      here you go, bucky: http://www.mediafire.com/?mn4jzolykil :wink:

salkema
      Spectator

Thanks a lot Cool as Ice Cream! really appreciate.

you’re welcome.

i copied the names of the songs off spfreaks.com (http://www.spfreaks.com/default.aspx?pa … &item=1713). i didn’t have time to listen and check. i hope all is correct.
      note that those 30 seconds of stained glass window, and the last two songs on side b aren’t mentioned on the j-card.
      is the second to last song really unknown (i.e. not available on any other tape that is out there), or does someone know what the title is?

salkema
      Spectator

The last song is I can’t see you which appears in a tape I have. I don’t know whats the name of the other song though.

salkema
      Spectator

Check it out, now that you guys bring this supposed band \"Remove That Bible\", I just read in a netphoria forum post that this RTB thing was all fake. Here is the link to the post.

http://forums.netphoria.org/pumpkins-ar … -eyes.html

I want to make clear that I am not saying this band is fake, and I certainly appreciate what you guys are doing to bring what you can from this supposed band. But here this guy is saying that this \"RTB\" band was fake.

I wonder if you guys already know about this? If so.. what else you know?

from that same thread on netphoria: http://forums.netphoria.org/pumpkins-ar … ost2487436
      (pmack = dave asselin)

Probably legit. I have notes from one of my first conversations with RER (this was back in 99) when I asked him for old song titles and he mentioned \"Drowning in the Flowers\" that was done with \"Greggy\". I think he said Greggy played bass.

He’s totally insane if he thinks Billy’s going to allow that shit to be released. We (and by ‘we’ I mean ‘you’, because I don’t give a fuck about it) will never hear this music outside of clips on the Myspace page. He thinks it has monetary value (it’s likely the closest he’ll ever come to hitting paydirt), and Billy, out of embarassment over his awkward teenage rock poses, will ensure he’ll never make a nickel from it.

Dude would have been better off burning a CD and selling a bunch on eBay.[/quote:1yq6ayzq]

kirairu
      Spectator

The RTB demo referred to in that thread is probrably the Roy Thomas Baker one.

ah yes, good point. i vaguely remember that.

edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeitgeist_ … _promotion

In early December 2006, four alleged demos from the sessions were released on file-sharing networks, though these were revealed to be a hoax. Spin later reported that they were recordings by British band Amy Blue, where the band’s frontman, Simon Chatterman, said that his band had been \"toying with the idea of pissing off a few file sharers\" and \"thought it would be funny to upload [their] EP as the Smashing Pumpkins and [with titles] from Corgan’s poetry book, Blinking with Fists.\"[18][/quote:3l73wxx4]

http://www.spin.com/articles/new-pumpkins-songs-leaked

A set of four songs that are posted on file-sharing networks under the name \"The Baker Demos\" are rumored to be from the Smashing Pumpkins’ reunion album due out next year. Whether these songs are legitimately the work of Corgan and crew is debatable, and most fans are crying, \"Faux!\" The tracks — \"Collapsing Cities,\" \"In the Eyes Beholding,\" \"The Restless World,\" and \"Siam Mais\" — are either the work of new voice-altering technology that morphs Corgan into a young British prog-version of himself or a misguided attempt at imitation.

Spin assistant editor Kyle Anderson — an unabashed Pumpkins devotee — took \"Collapsing Cities\" out for a spin. \"I was actually on board with the intro to this track — it sort of felt a bit like Adore-era stuff, especially the drum sounds and the general robotic feel of it,\" he said. \"But then the vocals kick in and it’s all over. This guy doesn’t sound a bit like Billy Corgan. If anything, he sounds like he’s trying to do a fruitier Dave Gahan.\"

In fact, Anderson wouldn’t even consider it an admirable forgery. \"At least the fake Chinese Democracy tracks kinda sorta sounded like Guns N’ Roses; whoever passed this off isn’t even trying very hard,\" he quipped. \"That’s unless Billy’s passed vocal duties off to somebody from an Interpol cover band — in which case this sounds perfect. \"[/quote:3l73wxx4]

salkema
      Spectator

Ohh I see then.. It has nothing to do with Remove That Bible.

Also I was reading the other day about the song Bleed in the Mashed Potatoes version.
      This version features one guitar, one bass and a drum machine.. We can conclude that Billy is playing
      bass because of the precision of his bass playing.. it’s definetely not d’arcy. Here is the interesting thing,
      the only show known with the James and Billy lineup is the 07/09/88 show at Chicago 21. So we may conclude that this is a version from an unknown live show or otherwise which I hardly doubt is that Billy might have recordings to this 07/09/88 show. Also billy said that they played around 10-12 shows before jimmy joined the band and there are only 3 shows that we know about before jimmy’s debut with SP on 10/05/88. Also I remember Jimmy saying that he saw the band a couple of times before the avalon show on 08/10/88, and we only know of ONE show before that.

Also the I Fall sessions.. I just discovered that these sessions took place at the end of 1987 and it was a set of 12 songs, I fall being one of those 12. So we can conclude that Billy HAD this recordings at least until 1989 when he added I fall into the Gish/Moon tape. Apparently this tape has been lost according to Sven.

I mean, there’s A LOT that we don’t know from this era…. many unknown shows, lots of lost songs and demos….

Hopefully something will surface in the future… that’s all I can say.

Sven
      Spectator

Ohh I see then.. It has nothing to do with Remove That Bible.

Also I was reading the other day about the song Bleed in the Mashed Potatoes version.
      This version features one guitar, one bass and a drum machine.. We can conclude that Billy is playing
      bass because of the precision of his bass playing.. it’s definetely not d’arcy. Here is the interesting thing,
      the only show known with the James and Billy lineup is the 07/09/88 show at Chicago 21. So we may conclude that this is a version from an unknown live show or otherwise which I hardly doubt is that Billy might have recordings to this 07/09/88 show. Also billy said that they played around 10-12 shows before jimmy joined the band and there are only 3 shows that we know about before jimmy’s debut with SP on 10/05/88. Also I remember Jimmy saying that he saw the band a couple of times before the avalon show on 08/10/88, and we only know of ONE show before that. [/quote:11ngqqve]

There is a full recording of the 880709 Chicago21, Chicago, IL show, for sure. BC taped it himself, including the opening act that night.

Bleed is most likely from an unknown show, indeed.

In those days TSP played bars, not concert venues per se. Often not announced or shortly beforehand. Not all concert dates are known in these early days. Lots of info is still missing there.

Also the I Fall sessions.. I just discovered that these sessions took place at the end of 1987 and it was a set of 12 songs, I fall being one of those 12. So we can conclude that Billy HAD this recordings at least until 1989 when he added I fall into the Gish/Moon tape. Apparently this tape has been lost according to Sven. [/quote:11ngqqve]

There was a time around end of 87 and beginning of 88 when BC and JI recorded several songs at home. Technically these were not real sessions per se, but as was even the case with the early studio demo recordings: more or less an ongoing process when they had some time on their hands. It appears these recordings can be supposed to have yielded around 12 songs. I Fall is one of these songs. BC himself seems to have lost the recording of I Fall as per his own statement. I’m not sure if other songs from this era were lost too.

salkema
      Spectator

Has anyone here realized that the website spfc.org has added new tour dates from 1988 and 1989?
      Very interesting indeed. From 1988 they have added one date which dates from 1988/10/29. They even provide a setlist from this show and two new songs are discovered which go by the name of \"Hey Hey\" and \"Right Out the Door\".
      From 1989 one date has been added and possibly another second one also, but I am not sure about this one. The first one dates from 1989/02/18 and we can see that the band plays My Eternity and She which I thought they stopped playing at 1988.
      The second one dates from 1989/03/17 even though I am not sure about this.

It seems new things keep appearing, we just need to give time and things will surface, little by little…
      No doubt about it.

I wonder how the hell they made this addition of tour dates?. Possibly Frank Quinto found recordings from these live shows on the archives and decided to let this spfc guys know?.

Who knows, quite interesting though.

I wonder how the hell they made this addition of tour dates?. Possibly Frank Quinto found recordings from these live shows on the archives and decided to let this spfc guys know?. [/quote:6vj132kq]
      that must be it.

?.

salkema
      Spectator

I was reading old netphoria forums earlier today and I found a very interesting bit of info.

Dave Asselin managed to get a copy of this Hope tape from 1986-87. He cleary says this.

\"I managed to get a copy of a tape with Hope in its original context. It was on a tape of Billy songs given to a friend in 1986, before he left for Florida with The Marked. It is definitely a pre-SP song.\"

If anyone is interested here is the link http://forums.netphoria.org/pumpkins-ar … ges-2.html

Now, I am almost positve that this tape was given to billy’s friend on early 1987. The reason I believe this is because \"Greta Garbo\" is definetely a post marked song which was written by billy when he returned from florida and started making demos in his dad’s house. Also this song contains two versions of The Vigil, one accoustic and the other electric so this song, so we can clearly see that this tape is post-florida.

As for The Marked, this band left from florida on december 1985 in which you can hear a song in a marked demo entitled \"Christmmas Time\". The band broke up after a show in october 1986 and then billy returned to chicago to live in his dad’s house.

In this tape we can see that contains 22 songs. The following songs are Marked songs.
      Devotion, Mao Say Tongue, Ring Out the Shadow, Trance, Blind, Passion to Despise, Mastery and Conjecture, 8 Miles High. Now, all this 8 songs are confirmed to be marked songs and have been either played live or have been recorded IN THEIR TIME IN FLORIDA.

We can also see that in this tape you can find another 2 songs that are included in the marked tape from march 85 to january 87. These 2 songs are called Earth Stood Still and Now that I feel. This two songs are confirmed to be post- florida songs. So we can conclude that this 2 songs have been recorded in the time period of October 1986-January 1987.

Now, 12 new songs are left and we can conclude that this songs are post-florida because they are not included in any Marked compilations. Interesting enough this tape includes two versions of The Vigil which this will later become a SP song which is included in NEC tape. Greta Garbo is a post florida song since Ron Roesing remembers it and even described it as a brillant song.

Also, this tape includes a song called Hey!, and in the SPFC website we can see that this song is described to be as a song that evolved into \"6234\" that was a SP song which was played in the Avalon on 08/10/88. Now, how in the hell this SPFC guys know that this song evolved into a SP song, I tend to believe that Dave Asselin told this guys since Dave owns a copy of this tape.

Now, the song Hope. This song was included in the SBA promo and it contains the exact same version as the one in this tape. Many people believe it’s a 1985 song but I tend to believe it is a late 1986- early 1987 song, since it wasn’t included in any Marked compilations.

Now as I said 12 songs were left as not been included in any Marked compilations. I tend to believe this are all songs billy wrote post florida and I calculate that billy might have taken between 3 to 6 months to create this songs. Now since billy returned from florida in october 1986 this tape must have been given to his friend in between the period of Jan to April of 1987, in other words early 1987.

Now, I am very intrigued by hearing this tape and I am sure many out there are too. Now, Dave is the only one who has a copy to this tape, so we need to contact him and see if he is willing to share it with us.

salkema
      Spectator

I just found a huge discovery for those early SP fraks out there.. just like me hahah.
      It is now confirmed that the song \"Lock Me Up\" is real. It was played in the first ever SP show in 07/09/88.
      http://www.splra.org/wiki/index.php?title=Tsp1988-07-09

This show doesn’t have a complete setlist though.

Now, I always believed this song was true because RER cleary remembers the song and Frank Quinto found a video of the band rehearsing this song on the archives.

By the way, this setlist has been either updated today or yesterday because I went there a couple of days ago and there was no setlist available on this show.

Just like Sven said, there is a complete recording on this show.

More to come..

Sven
      Spectator

Lock Me Up is indeed a curious new addition to the setlists! :)

good luck with the Greta Garbo tape…

i’d be more than curious to finally hear the whole tape.
      as far as i know it’s all acoustic stuff or mostly which makes it even more interesting.

hope this works out!

Arthur
      Spectator

And a little news about that Remove That Bible thingy… as far as we can judge now, it is real as hell. Quite a discovery! I am listening to the full Ancient Times tape now as we speak (MP3s of the full tape were finally send), and we spoke to Jerome Greenway, 1 of the band members at that time, several times over the webcam. He provided a few pics of him and a VERY young Billy Corgan (so cute! :D ) when they were friends back in the days, but no live shows pics. Jerome is a little vague about that, so I think they only did some gigs for friends, and recorded a dozen of songs here and there in a few months. Billy definately wringed the bass in that band, as far as I can judge it, and you can recognize him easily on 1 of the songs (title track of the tape: Ancient Times).

About the song Ancient Times: it has a little Dutch connection! Jerome told us he went on a holiday with his parents to Europe in the late 1970’s or early 1980’s, and this song was inspired by a dancing in Rotterdam! In another song (EO) they used samples from Dutch speaking tv personalities, but he didn’t recall how they got these recordings… probably from a vinyl with weird samples, he thinks. The MP3s are date-tagged 1980 by Jerome, but I think they might be a little later. Billy looks like he is around the age of 15 in the few pics that Jerome showed, and Billy is definately not 13 years of age. Overall, the music is telling the story, and we can clearly hear a pre-Marked era band, trying to catch the New Wave of their times in their sound.

Anyway, I will make a zip of these songs soon (we are indeed allowed to spread this!), I will bring the news frontpage SPfreaks.com of course, and then… ENJOY this new discovery from the very very vault of the Smashing Pumpkins! Hiha! 8)

Here you go:

Click on the link above to download the RAR file with 16 songs.

Thanks, Arthur. I’m curious.

Are you allowed to share the pictures too?

hehe, check this out: http://www.removethatbible.com

some songs have comments in the comment tag.
      the last two songs, like a cloud and ice, have the comment:

Actually this band is called teh Flat Bodies.
      Some side exerimental band. Recorded with good material[/quote:2igi928m]

Anonymous
      Spectator

Swish work guys, some of the tracks are actually really good. :) 8)

salkema
      Spectator

Thanks a lot Arthur!
      Very good find, it would be great if you could upload the pictures.

Stay tuned because I’m in the process of getting a hold of never before seen Marked videos!

salkema
      Spectator

Damm I can’t open that archive. I’ve been having problems with Megaupload lately.
      Can anyone please help me upload it in another site??

manillascissor
      Keymaster

Damm I can’t open that archive. I’ve been having problems with Megaupload lately.
      Can anyone please help me upload it in another site??[/quote:245zhjmx]

what site can you download from or prefer?

salkema
      Spectator

I think that from any other site.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

hopefully someone will help you. i haven’t downloaded yet from mediafire.

Arthur
      Spectator

Are you allowed to share the pictures too?[/quote:83afxdjp]
      I guess so, they are being send to Sven. He’s doing a long article about this stuff, remember? I’ve only seen them on webcam so far. And I was very eager to bring the music out there! :lol:

Swish work guys, some of the tracks are actually really good. :) 8)[/quote:83afxdjp]
      Agree. I was astonished to see and feel the link between this and the Marked. To see the development of Billy from a young dude playing bass (already working on long epic songs!) to him in the Smashing Pumpkins.

Some side exerimental band. Recorded with good material[/quote:83afxdjp]
      Yeah I noticed that too. If I put all the info in order, Billy was not involved with that anymore, he had moved on already. As far as Jerome remembered, Billy played at least on all songs from Dance V1 to Ancient Times. With every bandmember leaving, they changed the name of the band. So they were called The Marinetti’s, The Flat Bodies, but also The Wedding, Pand 585 and Frozen Fountain. Those other bands made tapes also, but of course we were mostly interested in this tape with Billy playing/practising/recording with this band. At that time they were called Remove That Bible (kinda ironic, when you think of it, for a bandname with Billy being a member => must be the reason why Billy never wants to talk about it? :wink: )

salkema
      Spectator

If this is from 1982, he was playing in another band called \"Lex\" with his high school friends.
      Another billy’s bands out there was Coat of Eyes which started in 1983. There is a tape out there which Greg Bates owns. If someone is really interested in getting a hold of this tape, you can contact him through myspace.

I wonder Arthur, how in the hell did you first got info on this band?

Anonymous
      Spectator

Are you allowed to share the pictures too?[/quote:1g3woaf0]
      I guess so, they are being send to Sven. He’s doing a long article about this stuff, remember? I’ve only seen them on webcam so far. And I was very eager to bring the music out there! :lol:

Swish work guys, some of the tracks are actually really good. :) 8)[/quote:1g3woaf0]
      Agree. I was astonished to see and feel the link between this and the Marked. To see the development of Billy from a young dude playing bass (already working on long epic songs!) to him in the Smashing Pumpkins.

Some side exerimental band. Recorded with good material[/quote:1g3woaf0]
      Yeah I noticed that too. If I put all the info in order, Billy was not involved with that anymore, he had moved on already. As far as Jerome remembered, Billy played at least on all songs from Dance V1 to Ancient Times. With every bandmember leaving, they changed the name of the band. So they were called The Marinetti’s, The Flat Bodies, but also The Wedding, Pand 585 and Frozen Fountain. Those other bands made tapes also, but of course we were mostly interested in this tape with Billy playing/practising/recording with this band. At that time they were called Remove That Bible (kinda ironic, when you think of it, for a bandname with Billy being a member => must be the reason why Billy never wants to talk about it? :wink: )[/quote:1g3woaf0]

One of the things I like is that had you not mentioned Mr C., after a few tracks ye think: Sounds like The Marked. :) Thanks again. :twisted:

Arthur
      Spectator

I hope you all realize by now this Remove That Bible thingy was an April Fools joke? :lol:

Posted when it was April 1 in Australia (but still March 31 in Europe), and updated when it was still April 1 in the US?

Remove That Bible is an early 1980’s band from Rotterdam, and my colleague Jeroen Groeneweg played the bass, and recorded those songs with his mates! The compilation cd they made a few years ago for themselves and some friends was called Ancient Times… Sorry to kill you guys’ excitement, if I did… :wink:

Sven’s story-to-come is true, however, no kidding!

salkema
      Spectator

God dammit, I really thought it was true though I didn’t got to hear the tape.

Ancient Times sound a title Corgan would use.

Anyway, what’s the name of the band Corgan played?
      I mean, you told me its name was Remove That Bible like more than 2 months ago, so you’ve planning this joke since then?

Clarify please.

Arthur
      Spectator

Anyway, what’s the name of the band Corgan played?
      I mean, you told me its name was Remove That Bible like more than 2 months ago, so you’ve planning this joke since then?

Clarify please.[/quote:cebsbrtg]
      I don’t know the name of that band, Sven only knows, and he’s not even telling ME! :shock: Which I can understand, because Billy Corgan is not very cooperative in clarifying about that period of his musical career. So Sven should be careful with his information. I’m hoping Sven will come with a good article about it this year.

And yes, I asked my colleague Jeroen, and Sven, what they would think of this April Fools joke about 2 months ago. Then I gave a first hint, mentioning end of March, early April, and the rest is history! :lol:

salkema
      Spectator

After more than a year, I’m reviving this thread… feels weird.

The only thing I can add besides the great news about the archives (which makes my search about early sp history pointless now that everything is in the archives and hopefully will be released soon). I found out that the guys from SPLRA just added a new song to the first ever SP show.
      This show is from June 9th 1988. Last year it had \"Lock Me Up\" as the only song on their setlist, but now that I check, they added \"Bleed\". I’m guessing this is the same version as the MP version cuz it features only 1 guitar and 1 bass hence Billy and James only with a drum machine.
      Interesting, I wonder how this guys got the info about Bleed played in the first SP show.

Arthur
      Spectator

I found out that the guys from SPLRA just added a new song to the first ever SP show.
      This show is from June 9th 1988. Last year it had "Lock Me Up" as the only song on their setlist, but now that I check, they added "Bleed". I’m guessing this is the same version as the MP version cuz it features only 1 guitar and 1 bass hence Billy and James only with a drum machine.
      Interesting, I wonder how this guys got the info about Bleed played in the first SP show.[/quote:2d0lj2xi]
      Funny, I recently noticed on a few other 91/92 concerts on SPLRA that indeed they somehow found out the dates of some Mashed Potatoes live tracks. For example, the second track on Mashed Potatoes, Tristessa, is actually recorded in my country Holland during the first proper tour of Smashing Pumpkins outside the USA!

On a sidenote, very soon I might be able to add another Dutch date/venue to that early 1992 tour list, believe it or not! I know the venue already, they confirmed the Smashing Pumpkins gig in person to me already, but they are looking for the date and even the concert poster of that gig, if it is still available, as a proof, as we speak… I’ll keep you posted, I’m always very excited about such discoveries… :wink:

Anyway, but now I can add a date to Bleed also, for updating (which I just did) Mashed Potatoes on our website: http://www.spfreaks.com/?page=COLLDETAILS&item=282 And I will re-check the whole of Mashed Potatoes soon to see what other live songs are dated by SPLRA. Maybe they have a direct link to the current SP Archive Guy? Thanks salkema, for pointing this out to us. VERY interesting! 8)

salkema
      Spectator

Now that the archive project is shaping up, I might bring this topic more often when I get to see anything new from the early days of the band.

There’s a picture just added on TSP official fb site, where billy shows a picture of his first demo machine he got when he was 18, in 1985. He started doing solo/marked demos with this machine all the way until the early days of the pumpkins that’s my guess. There’s a tape laying there, and I’m very intrigued about the songlist of it. I believe it’s a marked tape because I could read a track called \"Alone Inside\" which is from the marked days. I wonder if anyone can help me enlarge the picture and see the complete setlist.

Here’s the link
      http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= … =1&theater

Thanks

manillascissor
      Keymaster

pretty sure it’s marked (no pun intended) as alone inside – revision.

i’m 99.44% sure that if you enlarge this picture, you will gain no greater insight into the tracklisting. here is a best guess, from a complete pro (RBD). not me, mind you:

‎1. Dali Holds The Hand Of God
      2. Cr??m D??? T???
      3. Song For Jonathon
      4. The Way That I Do
      5. Demo ? ? ?
      …6. Alone Inside (Revision)
      Possible track 7?

salkema
      Spectator

Thanks for the info. Yes I just realized that enlarging the picture won’t help.
      This is a tape from the time the marked was in florida, for sure. 1986 most likely.
      Who is this pro RBD?

manillascissor
      Keymaster

rocket baby dolls. he posts here, but pretty rarely.

Sven
      Spectator

After more than a year, I’m reviving this thread… feels weird.

The only thing I can add besides the great news about the archives (which makes my search about early sp history pointless now that everything is in the archives and hopefully will be released soon). I found out that the guys from SPLRA just added a new song to the first ever SP show.
      This show is from June 9th 1988. Last year it had "Lock Me Up" as the only song on their setlist, but now that I check, they added "Bleed". I’m guessing this is the same version as the MP version cuz it features only 1 guitar and 1 bass hence Billy and James only with a drum machine.
      Interesting, I wonder how this guys got the info about Bleed played in the first SP show.[/quote:z6ciofgv]

several tracks were online briefly, hence the source….

manillascissor
      Keymaster

yeah, spfc has been updated somewhat routinely lately

manillascissor
      Keymaster

Arthur
      Spectator

salkema
      Spectator

Does anyone know who found the new marked posters?
      Whoever found those might have a connection with the band.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

i know who found the posters and it was not through a connection to the band. it was a connection to someone who used to know billy back when he was in the marked.

Sven
      Spectator

@manilla…

damn… there’s some massive amount of saved images on a pc’s hdi do not intend to use pretty soon somewhere upstairs…
      somehow, I can’t seem to recognise these posters from something I’ve saved / seen before…
      totally amazing to see these unearthed…

i once was pretty close to compiling a pretty good picture of The Marked…
      I had contacts with Dale and Ron (and BC)…

somehow I ditched the idea/plan.

pretty much as i got to know BC did not want me to dig further.
      pretty much as it’s a fair game for someone living there, not working from The Netherlands…

still: having all the demo’s (first gen to cdr) and The Marked 2 track video is a real gem in my collection…

could have, should have gone further maybe.
      dunno.

with all the materials I might be able to put together a somewhat comprehensive narrative of The Marked.
      and sell it to Rolling Stone or whatever.

and: sever all – however sketchy – ties with/to BC forever for doing that.

I rather for once hear the Greta Garbo song…
      and the rest of The Marked acoustic tape.
      I know it’s there and out.

Hell…
      It’s been so long…
      I know who has something and all. I think I have a real photo of The Marked somewhere…

Worked so hard on this back when, when hardly anybody seemed to care…

Now it is over and done for me.

Can’t see the effort in trying to contact all these people again. So close. So far away…
      …said sadly.

i think interest is generally very low when it comes to the marked.
      do you think you’d be able to find any magazine/website interested in the story of the marked, if you were looking to sell it? that sounds more like spfreaks.com material to me.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

@manilla…

damn… there’s some massive amount of saved images on a pc’s hdi do not intend to use pretty soon somewhere upstairs…
      somehow, I can’t seem to recognise these posters from something I’ve saved / seen before…

pretty much as it’s a fair game for someone living there, not working from The Netherlands…

still: having all the demo’s (first gen to cdr) and The Marked 2 track video is a real gem in my collection…

dunno.

with all the materials I might be able to put together a somewhat comprehensive narrative of The Marked.

Hell…
      It’s been so long…
      I know who has something and all. I think I have a real photo of The Marked somewhere…

Can’t see the effort in trying to contact all these people again. So close. So far away…
      …said sadly.[/quote:20rq1w43]

sorry to hear that, sven. i think you should do something before your interest entirely fades away

marigold
      Spectator

A few people have mentioned wanting to hear this mysterious Greta Garbo song. Makes me curious about it. Perhaps there are people closer by (Chicago) that could make enquiries?

salkema
      Spectator

@manilla…

dunno.

Hell…
      It’s been so long…

…said sadly.[/quote:3359marz]

Great post. I also went very far while I was living in Chicago. Contacted more than 10 ppl who knew and were related to the marked/sp early days. If anyone cares there is a 3rd marked video in Dale’s basement. It’s pretty accessible to get it… somehow lost interested in the marked thing. These days I’m no longer interested in doing research BUT I would love to get to listen the Greta Garbo tape or the real NEC. Hopefully it’s in the archives. Remember talking to Lou Hinkhouse over the phone in 2009 asking if he had the Pulse Cable Show. He told me he did, but wasn’t going to share… amazingly 3 years later it was released with the reissues.
      Talked three times over the phone with Dave Asselin, he claims he has the Greta Garbo tape, BUT he is over the pumpkins and claimed he didn’t wanted to do the digging part. It is out there, for sure.

Finally, was the Greta Garbo tape accoustic? Heard about it before, but I was never sure about it.

salkema
      Spectator

There’s this Marked pic I remember seeing 4 years ago, Most of the fans might not seen this one. Searching extensively the web found it in a marked youtube vid. Here’s the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYObTrOxTV4

It’s Billy and Ron. It would be my guess this is from their florida stint.

What do you guys think about this?

Have you guys seen it?

manillascissor
      Keymaster

cool to see an old picture. not super into the marked music, but that was not too awful.

Arthur
      Spectator

I have all rips of the Marked cassettes that are known (four I think) but there is no Greta Garbo song on them, if I remember well.

salkema
      Spectator

Arthur, you have the rips that are known to the fans. This Greta Garbo tape hasn’t surfaced yet. Hopefully one day will.

Viewing 72 reply threads

The forum ‘Trading Items’ is closed to new topics and replies.