Viewing 22 reply threads
  • Author

marigold
      Spectator

there’s a mistake on this entry: http://www.spfreaks.com/default.aspx?pa … &item=1899

the track length for the 4th track is wrong. it is also listed incorrectly on the label. it’s not 7:04, but 6:09, just like on this release (same tracks, but in different order): http://www.spfreaks.com/default.aspx?pa … &item=2706

manillascissor
      Keymaster

get after it, deb

Also, to be consequent, I think the name of track 4 on that acetate cd should be Electro Breakbeat Dub instead of its earlier title Breakbeat Mix Instr.
      It is the same track.

marigold
      Spectator

get after it, deb[/quote:3npppn6g]

I can’t edit the collection items yet. But I’ll be on to it soon, after further instruction from Arthur.
      When that will happen I am not sure. Like Billy says, it will be soon!

Also, shouldn’t the listing on spfreaks be the same as the listing on the label?

Also, shouldn’t the listing on spfreaks be the same as the listing on the label?[/quote:23dlnkca]
      i don’t know what the rules are.

i think it’s a shame you lose the information that they’re all the same song.
      if you click on the song, you’ll only find the releases where the track is listed under the same name, and not the other releases with the exact same song, but listed under a different title. (this happens a lot, especially with early promos.)
      you can always choose one title to be the spfreaks default listed title, and then mention that the artwork lists a different title in the item’s "extra information".
      example of a release where this is done: http://www.spfreaks.com/default.aspx?pa … &item=2439

in relation to this issue, i have checked two more items with different titles, but the same songs:
      http://www.spfreaks.com/default.aspx?pa … &item=1797
      http://www.spfreaks.com/default.aspx?pa … S&item=794
      if you click the b-sides, you only find these two releases, but these tracks are also available on all the other 3-track untitled singles.
      (on top of that, "try, try, try alt. version" also appears on machina II.)

anyway, that’s just my view on this.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

yeah, this is getting into ridiculously technical, detailed information. which i don’t think the average fan really gives a crap about. with that said, i think the song titles should be listed as presented respective to each release. even if it’s a duplicate listing, it still accurately represents the song. now, if the duration of a track is flawed, that should obviously be corrected/remedied immediately.
      unfortunately, this is where i usually lose interest and find it hard to make myself correct these things. i’m glad you point them out though, bram, because this site is really based around providing the most comprehensive/thorough discography information for smashing pumpkins related releases. so, we should strive to really follow through regarding that commitment.

i just want someone else to do it. :roll:

yeah, i suck.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

Arthur
      Spectator

http://forum.spfreaks.com/viewtopic.php?t=489&highlight=snippet+sampler

another CD in need of updating[/quote:z0eqt2ml]
      Done, easy fix. I’ll check and correct the others brought in by Bram too, but not now. Not an easy fix… :cry:

manillascissor
      Keymaster

precisely. :lol:

manillascissor
      Keymaster

you can always choose one title to be the spfreaks default listed title, and then mention that the artwork lists a different title in the item’s "extra information".
      [/quote:2pn9dtdu]

seems obvious, logical solution.

Arthur
      Spectator

Yes, kinda, but no. Each title has its own track length to make it (more) unique… How to solve that?

well, i don’t really care if you want to use the name as listed on the artwork. i prefer one approach, but the only difference between the two approaches is better linking between different releases. it’s not incorrect, but you do lose a bit of information.
      ideally, the database would be set up in a way that one track entry can have different titles, but i assume that’s not the case right now, so we’ll have to manage.
      i’m not saying there should be a fixed rule. entries like that judas o acetate (use one track title, mention alternate title in extra info) can happily exist next to entries like the untitled acetates (list title as listed on release). not very consequent, but no harm done.

and it shouldn’t be such a problem to use only one name for the same song, i think: on both releases, it’s the same track (perfect electro breakbeat dub/perfect electro breakbeat mix instr.), with the same track length (6:09). i don’t see what needs to be solved there.
      you can either correct the track length on \"mix instr.\" to 6:09, or you can get rid of that entry in the database and replace track 4 on the cd-r with the \"dub\" entry, which already has the correct track length. (either way, it would be nice if the incorrectly listed track length on the vinyl label was mentioned in the extra info of the vinyl promo.)

regarding those untitled acetates though, no matter what name the tracks are given here on spfreaks.com (same as on the single release, or the names used on the acetate’s sleeve), it shouldn’t say that the mixes are unique if they aren’t.
      i checked it, and they’re identical to the single release. if you want to double check this, please do. i can also upload flac rips, if needed.

marigold
      Spectator

:roll:

Thanks for putting me off helping out with the collection, Bram.

you kiddin’? :shock: :(

just correct the track length and correct/complete the \"extra info\". don’t worry about the rest.

it doesn’t really matter. i just think it’s a shame to have the functionality to link from a song to different releases, but not using it properly.
      and i’m posting longer and longer posts because i want to be sure i make myself clear. i hope i did. that is all. i’m not going to be disappointed if this isn’t changed. it was just a remark, and clearly nobody really cares, so why bother.

Arthur
      Spectator

I’ll check and correct the others brought in by Bram too, but not now. Not an easy fix… :cry:[/quote:3jj9hobt]
      I care Bram, I really do. I’m just as detailed about these issues as you are. But you know, running this thing since 2003 almost all by myself, it is quite a job… I was hoping that all moderators that have/had access to the maintenance tools would be doing their jobs, but most loose interest after a while, and I cannot and will not blame them. I’m not the person to kick people’s asses all the time. If they are not interested enough to ask for an extra training, or any other help, so be it. I really understand it’s a hell of a job, maintaining almost 10,000 pics, over 3,000 items, almost 1,000 titles, over 10,200 live and studio tracks… The Price Guide, the studio and live gig locations, scanning new items, taking pics, asking for info to double check, listening over and over to discussed songs, see all connections between the info entered in the database, effects of implemented changes, etc. etc. etc…

All websites have issues like this, like SPFC, SPLRA, etc. Basically, the work is done by 1 person, with a little help from 1 or 2 goodhearted friends… Who doesn’t have the full focus all the time, let alone the spare time to do everything necessary… So please bear with us, dear friends! Debby, don’t let Bram scare you off, I know where he lives and will punch his face when he doesn’t offer us a good Belgium beer now! :wink:

always welcome to come over and help emptying my fridge. :wink:

marigold
      Spectator

All websites have issues like this, like SPFC, SPLRA, etc. Basically, the work is done by 1 person, with a little help from 1 or 2 goodhearted friends… Who doesn’t have the full focus all the time, let alone the spare time to do everything necessary… So please bear with us, dear friends! Debby, don’t let Bram scare you off, I know where he lives and will punch his face when he doesn’t offer us a good Belgium beer now! :wink:[/quote:2bsj8r8f]

:lol:

Well, it’s just not even having learnt how the database works yet, and then there is this detail to go into, so it seems a little bit daunting. I’ll start off with the easy stuff, thanks!

Sven
      Spectator

i totally agree with Bram.
      i too know you’re working your asses off and it’s an amazing site and an awful lot of work.
      so, in the end, this will be fixed…
      just to make things even better…!!!
      cheers!

Arthur
      Spectator

there’s a mistake on this entry: http://www.spfreaks.com/default.aspx?pa … &item=1899

the track length for the 4th track is wrong. it is also listed incorrectly on the label. it’s not 7:04, but 6:09, just like on this release (same tracks, but in different order): http://www.spfreaks.com/default.aspx?pa … &item=2706[/quote:3fz418jr]
      Has been corrected now.

Also, to be consequent, I think the name of track 4 on that acetate cd should be Electro Breakbeat Dub instead of its earlier title Breakbeat Mix Instr. It is the same track.[/quote:3fz418jr]
      Yup, has been corrected.

you can always choose one title to be the spfreaks default listed title, and then mention that the artwork lists a different title in the item’s "extra information".[/quote:3fz418jr]
      Yeah, true. Actually, I already have that rule implemented since the start of this silly project, but I don’t stick to it, always. And sometimes I just don’t know what song is where and when it is (maybe or not) the same song with a slightly different title. Those mixes are a crime! :evil:

in relation to this issue, i have checked two more items with different titles, but the same songs:
      http://www.spfreaks.com/default.aspx?pa … &item=1797
      http://www.spfreaks.com/default.aspx?pa … S&item=794
      if you click the b-sides, you only find these two releases, but these tracks are also available on all the other 3-track untitled singles.[/quote:3fz418jr]
      Was corrected earlier today, see other topic about this Untitled single. As a side-effect of this inquiry, I found out that the commercial release date for Untitled was 5 November 2001, I didn’t know about the 5 yet. SPFC.org for example, just puts it in 2001 somewhere… :wink:

(on top of that, "try, try, try alt. version" also appears on machina II.)[/quote:3fz418jr]
      New info, is corrected now also! Thanks Bram! Bring ’em in!

excellent.

marigold
      Spectator

the resemblence is uncanny :P

marigold
      Spectator

get after it, deb[/quote:wcw7v233]

I can’t edit the collection items yet. But I’ll be on to it soon, after further instruction from Arthur.
      When that will happen I am not sure. Like Billy says, it will be soon!

[/quote:wcw7v233]

umm, hmmm, yeah "soon" ie. not happening… are you guys pretty much onto it now?

I’ve been kinda busy so not bothered, have deleted 2 spammers/spam posts since I became a mod – woo! This is nothing compared to the efh2t forum, which I cannot be bothered with anymore. :roll:

Viewing 22 reply threads

The forum ‘Collecting Items’ is closed to new topics and replies.