Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Sven
      Spectator

Here it is on this site:
      [url:o7lhekk1]http://www.spfreaks.com/default.aspx?page=COLLDETAILS&item=1847[/url:o7lhekk1]

Has anyone seen this in real life? I tend to believe it doesn’t exist…. I mean we see so many MCIS, PI, Adore, Machina and so on, why hasn’t this shown up anywhere.

And thoughts

Sven
      Spectator

no- never seen a copy.

depends on the provenance of the info mentioned…

the ‘GISH’ gold disc was disputed for a very long time too, for example.

and: to make matters even worse, to some extent that is:
      http://www.spfc.org/songs-releases/disc … scog_id=32
      this release was mentioned pretty early on, with a lot of rumours and all…
      sketchy information was all to go on then.
      several dedicated die-hard collectors (including yours truly!) went about and researched their asses off to find out this in fact was indeed a genuine artefact/release! finally also confirmed by the band.
      still: we’ve never ever seen a single copy of this box anywhere.
      the band doesn’t have one and even going through the paces with the record stores and people who used to work there (yes, I went as far as searching out ex-employees and cold-calling them!) nothing…

for me, personally…
      OK: i own the demo tapes and some quite cool and unique items…
      THIS… this: http://www.spfc.org/songs-releases/disc … scog_id=32
      would in fact be one of the most desired and therefore valuable items out there for TSP.

having said this…
      personally most highly valued items, as of yet not included in my collection, that is:
      – a true copy of the Mashed Potatoes sets-
      – a copy of MII-
      – this box set…!!!—

and: this box set even ranks the highest to me as a collector!!!
      it’s just the aspect of the infamous lore and rumours and all and the fact no one has ever seen one and all…

i’ve held MII in my very own hands.
      i can listen to Mashed Potatoes.
      i have the tape featuring the very first ever TSP song.

MII > we all have heard now.
      MII > having seen and held and felt the genuine thing… plus: we all have heard it now…
      MII > surely!: i’d be over the moon of moons to own a genuine copy of this set. and i’m working on getting one from the moment of release, even. not by paying tens of thousands of dollars, not by trying to pry one from one of the people given a set… :)

MP > we all have heard now.
      MP > BC told me there was no ‘box set’ ever in the first place; just some cds for the band and close-ones…
      MP > BC’s copy, later, for DA, might in fact be just like the initial one(s)…

I Fall > we all have heard now.
      I Fall > according to BC’s own account of things, this is the very first recorded instance of a TSP-song.
      I Fall > BC himself did in fact no longer have this in his archive.
      >>>
      on a related note:
      BC didn’t have an alternate studio take of Drown either!!!
      this i presented to him during the 2000 tour, backstage and at a following show, JC and BC had checked out the recording and couldn’t pin-point the exact moment of recording themselves, still: they were quite sure, they themselves didn’t have same-said version…
      >>>
      I Fall > the actual cassette tape featuring this song is my most precious of items in my collection; the one to cap things off, the MAJOR cherry on top of the whipped cream on top of the cake, so to speak…

still…

this box set thing has eluded me and with me several truely dedicated collectors and researchers for years and years and years.
      this box set is genuine and verified and all.
      though: no pictures present!!!
      as a researching collector, this bugs me.

this box is my most wanted item…!
      even just a picture of it!… :)

and-
      while on topic:

what’s YOUR personal MOST WANTED collecting item???

manillascissor
      Keymaster

I sorta tend to agree with Easy on this one. Sven has a point, but we’re talking about a promotional CD here, which is meant to be made cheaply for mass distribution, albeit, not too large, as you’d want to make a profit from the real CD.

Anyway, there exists a 5 trk sampler CD for Siamese Dream, where is the full album promo that has been rumoured to exist all these years? For fucks sake, it wouldn’t be hard to just make a copy yourself, gold lettering or silver or whatever color and just say it’s the real deal.

At this point, I don’t think it exists, because it’s not like we’re talking 10 or less here. We’re talking at least a 1,000 pressed by Virgin.

Also rumoured is a Gish US promo CD, which I also believe does not exist.

My opinion is that Pisces and Mellon Collie came out, right around the time spfc.org went online (correct me if I’m wrong), and it was assumed some US promotional stamping was done for SD and Gish, however, I think over time, this assumption has been proven false. Not a big leap of faith to assume these were made, however, I think it’s safe to say, it’s wrong.

no- never seen a copy.

[…]

and-
      while on topic:

what’s YOUR personal MOST WANTED collecting item???[/quote:1ld32uzu]
      that’s not on topic, sven. it’s called "hijacking a thread".

Sven
      Spectator

no- never seen a copy.

[…]

and-
      while on topic:

what’s YOUR personal MOST WANTED collecting item???[/quote:17hzjhh8]
      that’s not on topic, sven. it’s called "hijacking a thread".[/quote:17hzjhh8]

sorry, it wasn’t meant as such, just a case of curiousity amongst and with fellow collectors.
      je m’excuse.

Sven
      Spectator

I sorta tend to agree with Easy on this one. Sven has a point, but we’re talking about a promotional CD here, which is meant to be made cheaply for mass distribution, albeit, not too large, as you’d want to make a profit from the real CD.

Anyway, there exists a 5 trk sampler CD for Siamese Dream, where is the full album promo that has been rumoured to exist all these years? For fucks sake, it wouldn’t be hard to just make a copy yourself, gold lettering or silver or whatever color and just say it’s the real deal.

At this point, I don’t think it exists, because it’s not like we’re talking 10 or less here. We’re talking at least a 1,000 pressed by Virgin.

Also rumoured is a Gish US promo CD, which I also believe does not exist.

My opinion is that Pisces and Mellon Collie came out, right around the time spfc.org went online (correct me if I’m wrong), and it was assumed some US promotional stamping was done for SD and Gish, however, I think over time, this assumption has been proven false. Not a big leap of faith to assume these were made, however, I think it’s safe to say, it’s wrong.[/quote:k0v38h3n]

1 – i think the 5 track promo was mostly used as an advance promo.

2 – surely there were full album promotional copies and review copies for SD. my guess is these were the standard release albums, which may or may not have been stamped or stickered with promotional information or something.

3 – for press and radio and all, these would have totalled quite high numbers i think. surely when the album kicked off in popularity. using the commercial and standard release version for this reason and not make a promotional version proper, maybe due to time contraints, as many copies had to be made quite fast when demand from press and radio kicked into gear. this might mean promotional copies sent out total thousands across the globe.

4 – maybe these were not marked per se as a promo?

5 – some must have been; SPFC took loads of info from DA’s txt-based discography and his entries were quite well researched and verified. so: i think at least one copy must have popped up somewhere, back then. when DA made his discography. happy hunting :)

Arthur
      Spectator

maybe these were not marked per se as a promo?[/quote:2vf7b0lw]
      I guess so. I have a signed "promo" CD of Live from 1994, the album Throwing Copper. It does not contain any promotional info, but Andre, the guy that gave it to me as a present, who is an ex-colleague and music lover too, told me the following story.

He worked in a little high profile bass building company back then, when the band Live came in his shop and the bass player talked with him a long time. (Andre is a bass player himself too). He bought 1 of the basses even, and give him their first album, with signatures as a present. At that moment the album was not out yet, and the band gave copies of the new pressing away during their tour. This is how I remember the story…

Sven
      Spectator

maybe these were not marked per se as a promo?[/quote:34ptm22i]
      I guess so. I have a signed "promo" CD of Live from 1994, the album Throwing Copper. It does not contain any promotional info, but Andre, the guy that gave it to me as a present, who is an ex-colleague and music lover too, told me the following story.

He worked in a little high profile bass building company back then, when the band Live came in his shop and the bass player talked with him a long time. (Andre is a bass player himself too). He bought 1 of the basses even, and give him their first album, with signatures as a present. At that moment the album was not out yet, and the band gave copies of the new pressing away during their tour. This is how I remember the story…[/quote:34ptm22i]

indeed!!!—

being a music critic/writer/journalist myself, i’ve recieved/been given numerous albums promotionally, which were totally UNMARKED!!!—
      sometimes, these were ‘chipped’: i.e.: there was a small piece chipped from the case and liner…
      sometimes, these featured crossed out barcodes…
      every so often, these were just the standard, commercial release version(s)…

i really believe, with TSP exploding in popularity, LOADS and LOADS albums were sent out promotionally which were just culled from the normal standard commercial batch/run…
      maybe: someone chipped/clipped some or crossed out the barcode or whatever…
      maybe: in the US, someone stamped some copies with the ‘promotional’ stamp…

for me:
      if there’s a copy WITH the ‘promotion only’ stamp…
      if a copy is found or presented…
      i’d say this is really rare!!!…

why?
      as promotion for SD was at first pretty standard…
      so: these true stamped promotional copies would not have totalled in the thousands to begin with…
      as CR took off and of course: as Today became a smash hit single…
      things changed and i can imagine, thousands of albums of SD were sent out to press and radio and all: NON STAMPED!!!… get them out ASAP!!!-

refer to:
      the SD-sampler is quite rare… so are most SD-advance promo items.
      post-SD release proper, post-Today release proper: the promotional scheme ‘awakes’/picks-up!!!

so:
      i still think the stamped promo for SD is legit and OK and genuine…
      i also think it’s quite rare.
      i also think it’s an advance(d) promotional cd.
      i also think these numbers could be rather low to quite/very low…

only when TSP ‘EXPLODED’…
      Virgin went to promote the album in full!!!
      thus: massive amounts sent out to press and radio and the like…
      no need, no worry for a stamp or whatever: get the *shit* out there!!!

well-
      that’s what i just tried to say…
      even nowadays i expierence the same deal!…

for example:
      the album ‘The Back Room’ by Editors…
      there was some kinda buzz and NME-hype around Editors…
      they’d just released two 7" singles on an indie label then…
      they’d played quite a lot in the UK…
      Editors then came over to The Netherlands to play the London Calling Festival…
      i saw them there in a very very very small room which was packed beyond belief!!!…
      plus!: Editors played beyond any belief, too!!! that show was massive!!!, period…!
      now: upon reviews and the word-of-mouth-thing: Editors was getting ‘hot’ here in The Netherlands…
      ‘The Back Room’ as a proper release was far from due, then…
      so: i got an officially made and screen-printed cdr with a printed insert sent to me for review purpouses…
      of course!: it had to be NOW (then) and quickly!!!—
      i did my review, so did my collegues… and: Editors went on and on and on…
      >>>
      this just goes to prove my fact in that sometimes things planned in promotion or something just move differently and how labels adjust to the given moments and factors…
      for: with Editors, i KNOW for a FACT, the basic idea was to gradually ‘bring’ the band to the non-UK audiences via the singles and then the debut album and then: onwards…
      for: with Editors, i KNOW for a FACT, this ONE show at the London Calling Festival changed this plan totally, at least for: The Netherlands!!!… hence: immediate promotional copies of the debut album sent out… hence: following the massive response from the press and the audience too: numerous shows… and: taking The Netherlands as a fertile growing ground/stepping stone/whatever…

back to TSP:

– my Editors-CDR per se IS quite rare…
      – same deal: i got a promotional cdr for: The Long Blondes debut album, on cdr, too… same deal: The Long Blondes played the London Calling Festival and were destined to get ‘bigger’ (though: never went… unfortunately: especially as their frontlady is a true treat!)… this cdr went out to the press and to me, WAY!!! before the actual record came out!!!… therefore: that very cdr contains non-mastered, pre-master(ed) and/or rough-mixed tracks or rough mixes of tracks…!- still: it just HAD to get out there!!! for promotion’s sake!!!…
      now: this cdr/these cdr’s (i’ve got a 5-track and a full album pre-master/rough cdr, haha) is/are ‘rare’…
      – with: Editors > there’s some value there, commercially…
      – with: The Long Blondes > maybe not; still: collecting-wise those cdrs, too, are quite collectable…

SO: as for TSP—

to me:
      – a copy of a USA release(d) SD album with a ‘promotional only’ stamp would be quite rare-
      – would in fact, be: most likely: an advance album promotional copy…
      – thus: sent to press or media before the release date…

to me:
      – following the ‘logic’ as with Editos and The Long Blondes (above)…
      – after the release of SD and following the EXPLOSION of TSP…
      – the stuff just had to be promo-ed out ASAP!!!…
      – NOW they make cdr promo like with Editors and The Long Blondes, even from/of non-final masters…
      – then: they just took commercial release SD copies and sent those out!!!…
      – fuck the stamp(s)!- get it out there!
      – like with Editors or The Long Blondes: fuck the master or not!- get it out there!
      – so: Virgin just went on to promo SD out with the standard release version…!
      (heck!: i personally even got ZEITGEIST as a promo sent to me!!!— this was the book version, with press-release and all; with the barcode crossed-out with a big black felt pen… so…)

happy hunting for the SD version WITH the STAMP!!!

Viewing 7 reply threads

The forum ‘Collecting Items’ is closed to new topics and replies.