Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Cool As Ice Cream
      Spectator

Howdy gang!

Been a while. So I finally got to see the new SP concert/lineup. Not bad. But that’s not why you clicked on this thread. Here were some tidbits provided by Billy and Kerry (noted below):

a) I asked since Adore was originally on Mono, will we see the \"Stereo\" version of Adore on the vinyl re-issue.

Billy stated that yes, we will see the Stereo version or what Billy described as a \"completely new version\" since he has the ability to remaster and/or rework the album. As he described it, he had a clean slate to start from scratch. But it does appear that we won’t see the Mono version on vinyl, thus making the original maybe a little more collectible now?

b) Someone asked if there was an unreleased cover waiting in the vault.

Billy stated that the last time the full band was truly together, back in 96 about 2 months before Melvin died, the band was in the studio recording all of the covers for Aeroplane Flies High. They did a 8 minute version of a Cheap Trick song (sorry, can’t remember the title). He hopes to see that get released.

c) The deal with EMI to have the DVD’s added to the deluxe set was done 3 months ago. And EMI is not very much in favor of the deluxe versions, so if they sell well, then the band (re: Billy) will have more flexibility to more things.

d) According to Kerry, they will remaster/re-do Aeroplane Flies high, but likely only sell it directly from the website. I was mentioning to Kerry to do it as a 5×10\" boxset and he smiled and said they are still planning things out and it was too far out to know.

e) The band is also going to be doing some creative \"deluxe\" things. I was talking to Kerry about how Deluxe versions of albums have sold out online (Flaming Lips Heady Nuggs colored boxset ($125), Deftones Vinyl Collection ($250), etc.) and he said they will be doing some deluxe things for the website, but trying to figure out the quantity, since it is expensive to produce these things. So maybe we’ll see a deluxe vinyl version of Oceania? Billy mentioned during the chat, releasing some of the Starchildren live shows on vinyl as a limited quantity would be a good idea of doing something cool through the website.

That was the gist of what I remember. But again, we as the fans, are in control. IF we can support this release and get the sales pretty high, then we’ll be rewarded with future goodies that EMI will allow the band to open up and sell.

marigold
      Spectator

wow – thats some really good info!

They did a 8 minute version of a Cheap Trick song (sorry, can’t remember the title). He hopes to see that get released.
      [/quote:2gp2rvmq]

This one, perhaps?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRAPA0yfZP4[/youtube]

Billy mentioned during the chat, releasing some of the Starchildren live shows on vinyl as a limited quantity would be a good idea of doing something cool through the website.

That was the gist of what I remember. But again, we as the fans, are in control. IF we can support this release and get the sales pretty high, then we’ll be rewarded with future goodies that EMI will allow the band to open up and sell.[/quote:2gp2rvmq]

wow – I would love the Starchildren stuff released, even if just the live stuff.

thanks for your report, collectspumpkins.

while it is probably true that they need decent sales on these first reissues, in order to get more room for the next reissues, i don’t think it’s a message they should be sending out. to mention it during one of those sprc meetups is fine by me. it means they’re being open and honest about the project. but i hope they don’t go around later asking people to buy these \"or else…\", because that wouldn’t feel right to me.

i also like the fact that these reissues don’t devalue the old collectibles, by bundling all previously released music on one bonus disc. there’s still stuff left that can only be found on a rare cd or vinyl single.

or another example, with the adore vinyl, the original pressing won’t become obsolete.

(apologies. i have trouble expressing myself today. i didn’t sleep very much. don’t mention it.)

Viewing 3 reply threads

The forum ‘General’ is closed to new topics and replies.