Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author

manillascissor
      Keymaster

Planning on bidding on this, but only after discussing w/ the hardcore collectors here first.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SMASHING-PUMPKINS-T … dZViewItem

Is this legitamate? Seems a little flaky to me. What do you think?

Arthur
      Spectator

Hmmm… I’m 25% doubtful. Was there a Mexican CD single release of Tarantula? I think not. But well, it says it is \"master audio reference for Saturday Night Wrist\", so maybe it’s for a radio program. The date of early May (Mav = May?) is also very doubtful, as the first radio broadcast was only allowed at the end of June, if I’m right. I only might want to buy this for the playful little MCIS-like sun on the CD. Kidding, that makes me even more worried.

The other 75% says, who the hell on earth would want to make such a hoax CD? It’s well done, and looks genuine. Check out the website mentioned on the CD ( http://www.noporsuerte.com/ ) and you will see the little sun is from the logo of the Studio. After all, I would go for it, only after asking the seller what Mav means, and what Saturday Night Wrist is exactly!

tarantula was out before the first show in paris, on may 22.

Arthur
      Spectator

tarantula was out before the first show in paris, on may 22.[/quote:2aqas78z]
      I need brain surgery, you are right.

Some Zeitgeist and Tarantula info:

15-05-2007: First announced to be released on Saturday 07-07-2007, Zeitgeist release date is now corrected to Tuesday 10-07-2007. This last date is more according the music industry’s standards. Tarantula is mentioned on many websites as the new single, and at least Q101 radio played a teaser of 30 seconds of it already on 14-05-2007. Meanwhile the DJ of Q101 stated a few times they will play the full song on 21-05-2007.

16-05-2007: today the artwork for the new release Zeitgeist has been reveiled by the Smashing Pumpkins. Interview about the artwork and the artist is found at http://www.thegauntlet.com/article/1225/8609/.htm.

18-05-2007: today KROQ radio USA was the first to play the full version of Tarantula.

21-05-2007: today the downloadable version of Tarantula becomes available on iTunes.

XX-06-2007: Tarantula CD promo.

02-07-2007: Tarantula CD single.

Still it’s kinda weird to have a Mexican CD release dated back to May, don’t you think so?

Arthur
      Spectator

Let’s presume it’s genuine. The date generated might have something to do with the date ordered (by the radio program called Saturday Night Wrist?), on the CD itself it says \"21 Mav 2007\". This is the exact date the iTunes download of Tarantula became available. Does THAT ring a bell? :wink:

manillascissor
      Keymaster

Saturday Night Wrist is the name of the latest Deftones album. I think the seller accidentally listed this in the auction, as it has absolutely nothing to do with Tarantula.

that’s a good theory. maybe he copied the description of another auction and forgot to change the \"saturday night wrist\" to \"tarantula\".

has anyone contacted the seller about this? if this is just a simple mistake, we can find out fast.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

that’s a good theory. maybe he copied the description of another auction and forgot to change the "saturday night wrist" to "tarantula".

has anyone contacted the seller about this? if this is just a simple mistake, we can find out fast.[/quote:17v81s12]

I have not contacted the seller yet. I probably will, but might be a couple of hours. You want to try? We should also see if he has multiple CDs for sale like this.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

Saturday Night Wrist auction. Mystery solved.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DEFTONES-SATURDAY-P … dZViewItem

looks less like a cd-r than the tarantula master.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

Agreed. The Deftones one is actually printed right on the CD.

Some of the other items he has for sale say Warner Music Mexico on them.

I’m leaning towards this being an official CD, however, not really sure why Warner would ask this random guy in Mexico to create a master CD for them. They can do that in the home offices. Why would this guy get that job??? Just doesn’t make a whole lot of sense.

Arthur
      Spectator

Agreed. The Deftones one is actually printed right on the CD.

Some of the other items he has for sale say Warner Music Mexico on them.

I’m leaning towards this being an official CD, however, not really sure why Warner would ask this random guy in Mexico to create a master CD for them. They can do that in the home offices. Why would this guy get that job??? Just doesn’t make a whole lot of sense.[/quote:3ac94j06]
      Check his website guys. One of his customers is Warner, he advertises with it. I’m more curious about the early date he created this master, and the reason why. Mexico, of all places?

well, maybe mexico got their own tarantula promo cd (to be sent out to radio stations), just like they got their own zeitgeist release? and this cd was the master for the promo cd. (the promo cd could be a simple cd-r.)

or maybe this cd was used in the process to get tarantula on the mexican itunes store? i assume they have a separate itunes store, just like most countries.

i agree this looks all convincing and legitimate. the early date doesn’t really look that early to me. just a small three weeks in advance.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

The early date doesn’t seem too suspect to me. I mean, wouldn’t a master CD be created early? I see his website too Arthur, but that does not really convince me. I could make a website saying I make master CDs for all sorts of clients too. Seems like a lot of work, but his website sucks and if you do it long enough, it would pay for itself. Flipside, he also has a few promotional CDs that he didn’t create, but he has them. They seem pretty rare and collectible.

What the fuck is going on with this guy!!!!!!!

Saturday Night Wrist auction. Mystery solved.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DEFTONES-SATURDAY-PROMO-REFERENC...[/quote:2uiy8uhg]

Not to sound bitchy, but can you please the links please, to stop the comments from breaking the boundaries of the page? Thanks :)

manillascissor
      Keymaster

hey superlord

my links wrap around. not sure why yours don’t. ??????

hey superlord

my links wrap around. not sure why yours don’t. ??????[/quote:71wjlkmv]
      i think this is a feature that doesn’t work when you are using firefox.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

do you use firefox superlord?

Viewing 18 reply threads

The forum ‘Collecting Items’ is closed to new topics and replies.