Viewing 23 reply threads
  • Author

Cool As Ice Cream
      Spectator

Hello,
      I picked this up recently and didn’t see it on the site. I was wondering what your thoughts are on it. I listened to the tracks and the Machina II tracks are not from the virgin in-house promos, but Real Love sounds the same from the GH. Here is a photo:

manillascissor
      Keymaster

How much did you pay for this?

Also, what do you mean they don’t sound the same? Do they sound like alternate takes?

EAZYE121
      Spectator

I meant that the quality of the song sounds better. For instance, real love on the machina II doesnt sound the same on the GH. GH sounds better.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

i’d run some diagnostics on it to determine the source then. i don’t know how to do this, but a few people here do.

some pumpkins
      Spectator

i remember a discussion about this item. and i remember its legitamacy was in question.

can you share flacs of this cd?

i find this a very odd release. it doesn’t make much sense to me.

also, did you buy this on ebay? did the seller cancel the auction for you?

amnesia
      Spectator

Haha, i was right.Had the feeling you stole this from eBay.

First the Les Inedits De Aeroplane Flies High, then the Zeitgeist acetate, now this. Why the fuck do you do this? But fine, Seems thats the only way you can win on Ebay. :roll: :x

Glad i did not make any bids ( like i had a chance) Seems pretty strange.

amnesia
      Spectator

also, did you buy this on ebay? did the seller cancel the auction for you?[/quote:1werjdlw]

Of course he stole this from eBay, its the only place it was and strangely got cancel.

He keeps crying about ppl steal items under the table, seems he aint better himself. :roll:

EAZYE121
      Spectator

Wow, amnesia, calm down…..

First, I don’t believe I cried about people stealing items under the table. I did post a tread wondering who got the items: machina promo, GH promo, and a Zeitgeist promo. One of which I did obtain through a website called musicstack.com. So please don’t point your finger my way; I have been honest when you PM’d me and told you about the one I did get.

Second, stealing would not be the word I would use, but to each their own. It happens all the time and I did it twice (Untitled + Machina II tracks and Les Inedits De Aeroplane Flies High).

Final, Yes it seems it is the only way I can win, LOL. When new collectors enter the market and start buying up everthing at any cost you have to find ways to score a win once in a while. It is amazing that a person collecting for 2 years has so many great items and the few a 13 plus year collector needs are going for outragous prices. No complaints, just do what I can.

I am glad to see others pay close attention to my collection, but sorry to hit a nerve.

amnesia
      Spectator

Wow, amnesia, calm down…..

First, I don’t believe I cried about people stealing items under the table. I did post a tread wondering who got the items: machina promo, GH promo, and a Zeitgeist promo. One of which I did obtain through a website called musicstack.com. So please don’t point your finger my way; I have been honest when you PM’d me and told you about the one I did get.

Second, stealing would not be the word I would use, but to each their own. It happens all the time and I did it twice (Untitled + Machina II tracks and Les Inedits De Aeroplane Flies High).

Final, Yes it seems it is the only way I can win, LOL. When new collectors enter the market and start buying up everthing at any cost you have to find ways to score a win once in a while. It is amazing that a person collecting for 2 years has so many great items and the few a 13 plus year collector needs are going for outragous prices. No complaints, just do what I can.

I am glad to see others pay close attention to my collection, but sorry to hit a nerve.[/quote:2dz6wo07]

The reason im annoyed about this, is the way people just ask a seller to sell them things, first of all, the seller has sometimes no idea what it is worth ( which is not our fault really) Secondly its very unfair for other people who is interested in this particular item.I could easy ask a seller if she/he wanted to sell me things " under the table" for a hefty sum of money.Money is no problem for me at all, since im doin pretty good, but there is no sport asking a seller to sell it "under the table" Not fair for the other collectors, even though ive thought about it a few times, but i cant get myself to do it, as a respect to other collectors.Its called Ebay for a thing you know, its a place where people bid.

And im truely sorry for a accusing you about the Zeitgeist promo, its just to odd, to see it in youre collection a few weeks after its was on Ebay, makes you wonder, you know, however, im sorry.

As i told you before, why dont you PM people here if you see something you want? Me, Derek, Brandon, Arthur, and Bram mostly ( unless its something nice, which is understandable if he wants it ) Got this sweet deal, if a person see something they want, the other hardcore collectors here will not make any bids, no point in outbidding each other is there.Ive seem things i wanted, but some other collector here told me if i could leave it alone cos they want it, and i do that, just ask around.Same goes with the other guys about here.They are real gentelmens.Maybe you should join the club, just pm ppl and we leave it alone, unless they see it first, its works great that way.Think about it.

Sorry for the rant.

EAZYE121
      Spectator

BTW, CAIC

Here are some FLACs of the CD.

Cash Car Star
      [url:gdoyas6n]http://www.sendspace.com/file/w5vnx6[/url:gdoyas6n]

Real Love
      [url:gdoyas6n]http://www.sendspace.com/file/16pxso[/url:gdoyas6n]

manillascissor
      Keymaster

Ayoe makes some smart suggestions.

Anyway, getting back to the item. Which Virgin in-house promos did you compare this to?

The CD looks genuine enough to me. Anyone else’s thoughts? I know it seems kinda odd to have untitled in there, but to me, it’s not that odd really.

This looks like a 5trk Machina II sampler CD, made by someone at Virgin for their own listening pleasure.

Anonymous
      Spectator

I’ve seen an identical-looking CD for sale before, possibly from France. I doubt it’s a one-off on this occasion. I’ll be bold and say I’ve seen at least two others; one from a website that might have been Germany-based.

Waffle time, ignore me. :) :wink:

For myself, I disagree with buying things from an eBayer while the auction’s live. Pre-sale or after a failed sale attempt, then fair enough. Somebody’s selling, so why not buy fair and square.

Maybe 1% of my items were bought on eBay, the last was that TW Promo in another thread, prior to that I can’t even remember.

I suppose it depends how important collecting is to the individual.

I’ve been at the point for some time where I simply can’t compete with other people now, so slowly pick up treats here and there. If it’s any comfort at all, I’m just interested in main CD and vinyl releases now, nothing ‘exotic’ as such. I tend to be interested in TW and James Iha, as SP goes there’s not really much hope for me at this point. Such is life. Over time the soreness has healed and I’m grateful for what I do own.

Agreed, Ayoe makes a fair point.

It’s a big \"hmm\" for me. I’ll also say that whoever bids highest, deserves to win the item… Whereas I also agree with EAZYE121’s sentiment about the youngsters (or however to term them) buy stuff like crazy and wildly.

I just hope you guys and guysesses do gain the goodies yer want, reading other sites there’s been some really shitty practices going on to secure an item. Sad.

Anyway, I’m off to a Funeral tomorrow, I doubt the sweet lady we’re saluting would give a crap about items ya can’t take with you. :P

Rawk awn.

I think it’s not nice to \"buy under the table\".

But it’s the seller’s fault in the first place.
      It’s against eBay rules to use eBay to find buyers for deals outside of eBay.
      And I think they rarely make a good deal either. Why else are people offering to buy it outside of eBay? Clearly they must believe they wouldn’t be able to win the item through \"ordinary bidding\". So a seller with some brain cells should ignore all offers, and let everyone bid. I’m certain that in most cases, this will give the seller a better price.

BTW, CAIC

Here are some FLACs of the CD.

Cash Car Star
      [url:2vagfpk3]http://www.sendspace.com/file/w5vnx6[/url:2vagfpk3]

Real Love
      [url:2vagfpk3]http://www.sendspace.com/file/16pxso[/url:2vagfpk3][/quote:2vagfpk3]
      thx. i’ll look into it.

Arthur
      Spectator

So a seller with some brain cells should ignore all offers, and let everyone bid. I’m certain that in most cases, this will give the seller a better price.[/quote:2mmgp5g2]
      True. My 2 cents about this: Sniping and paying under the table are the true buyers’ diseases in this snakepit called eBay.

But in this case I think something else can be added to the story. My guts feeling says this item is not genuine, or has a questionable background at least. So the seller doesn’t want it to be on eBay too long, and the first "under the table" offer he will take. Again, just my guts feeling, since this item has an almost impossible tracklist: an October 2001 single combined with Machina II tracks that were independently released more than a year earlier… and it looks like it’s burned on a standard CD that can be bought everywhere. Most genuine promos and inhouse cds are burned on less standard, professional quality cds. But it depends on the sellers’ story about the background if it can be considered genuine. Let’s see what Bram finds out.

But it depends on the sellers’ story about the background if it can be considered genuine.[/quote:w6kk1xxs]
      Not sure if I agree here. If it’s a fake, it’s a fake, no matter how good a story the seller comes up with.
      The seller might not even realize it’s a fake. Maybe he bought it thinking it was real.

But yeah, I also find it hard to believe this would be a genuine cd. These promo cds can easily be made at home and this one looks like someone finally did just that.

And very good point about sellers who aren’t up to anything good trying to sell asap. This is so true. Quick sellers should be on the list of eBay red flags, if such a list would exist.

Arthur
      Spectator

But it depends on the sellers’ story about the background if it can be considered genuine.[/quote:ku09rzc1]
      Not sure if I agree here. If it’s a fake, it’s a fake, no matter how good a story the seller comes up with.[/quote:ku09rzc1]
      Also true, that’s why I used the words "can be considered". I tried to say "might – maybe". Maar mijn engelse taalgbebruik is niet altijd zo goed, geloof ik. :lol:

i’m sorry. i haven’t had much time to check the two flacs (and compare them to the known machina II sources). i’m not sure when i will be able to do this. i have a busy weekend coming up, and it starts tomorrow evening.

I compared the two tracks with every known version of Machina II, and Real Love also to the version that was released on Rotten Apples.

I easily came to the conclusion that both tracks on your cd-r are sourced from the \"Virgin promo\" version of Machina II. The only big difference is that the very beginning of Cash Car Star seems to be missing on your cd-r. (Or is it at the end of the previous track, maybe?)

Anyway, this doesn’t help us any further if we’re discussing how \"real\" this cd-r is. If it actually was a Virgin promo, it makes sense that they’d use the same source they used for the Machina II promo cd-rs. On the other hand, this doesn’t prove anything: anyone can have downloaded the Virgin promo source at some point during the last years and created his own little cd-r…

Could be both, really.
      My main issue with this cd-r is that it doesn’t make much sense to me.

Can you share a rip of Untitled maybe? I wonder what that track looks like.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

Good work, CAIC. Agree with everything you say here.

Sven
      Spectator

I compared the two tracks with every known version of Machina II, and Real Love also to the version that was released on Rotten Apples.

I easily came to the conclusion that both tracks on your cd-r are sourced from the "Virgin promo" version of Machina II. The only big difference is that the very beginning of Cash Car Star seems to be missing on your cd-r. (Or is it at the end of the previous track, maybe?)

Anyway, this doesn’t help us any further if we’re discussing how "real" this cd-r is. If it actually was a Virgin promo, it makes sense that they’d use the same source they used for the Machina II promo cd-rs. On the other hand, this doesn’t prove anything: anyone can have downloaded the Virgin promo source at some point during the last years and created his own little cd-r…

Could be both, really.
      My main issue with this cd-r is that it doesn’t make much sense to me.

Can you share a rip of Untitled maybe? I wonder what that track looks like.[/quote:2xv8ijqy]

from this, is it correct to conclude the tracks are NOT MP3-sourced? (as you can clearly tell from the cut-off point in frequencies)…

personally and only by my gut feeling, this cd seems quite odd to me…

MII was released and Virgin made some in-house promo’s, all sourced off the webmaster’s copy of the vinyl set.

Untitled was only released per se the eve of the penultimate show. the physical commercial release wasn’t available until fall a year later.

This: http://spfreaks.com/default.aspx?page=C … S&item=457 infamous release made total sense as this promo was released in the marketing campaign for the GH release.
      the tracks on this promotional cd make total sense.

i just can’t see any reason to put together these five tracks. not the moment in time to do it, nor the reason why? the more as i suspect the mix-down of the released Untitled version would not have been available to Virgin AFTER the approval of the final mix and mastering. thus: AFTER this release: http://spfreaks.com/default.aspx?page=IMGVIEW&item=2141 that release/masterdisk acetate disc is clearly dated.

if and when the version of Untitled on this very 5-track promo is the same as the commercially released version, i just cannot see why Virgin would pair this track with four MII songs.

if this is a different version of Untitled on this very 5-track promo is NOT the same, this might be quite an interesting release, as for the Untitled version. then it might from late 2000. then and there including 4 tracks from MII would make sense, i guess.

let’s see what we can find out…
      exciting stuff… :)

from this, is it correct to conclude the tracks are NOT MP3-sourced?[/quote:1fn3e0o0]
      Yes. They’re not mp3 sourced.

I can’t say what the deal is with this cd. It doesn’t look wrong to me. But the tracklisting is funny.
      Maybe we can find out more when we have a closer look at the first track.

Eazye121, how did you come to the conclusion that the Machina tracks aren’t from the Virgin in-house promo, but that Real Love is probably the same as on the Greatest Hits release?
      Because that’s not what I found…

Viewing 23 reply threads

The forum ‘Collecting Items’ is closed to new topics and replies.