Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Cool As Ice Cream
      Spectator

In case someone is interested in these, I uploaded rips of watermarked promos.

Zeitgeist: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=T8AX5GGB
      Second rip, in case you want to compare two different watermarked cds: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KI5PBIE5 (Note! There were errors reading track 12 on this second cd. All other tracks were perfectly copied.)

TheFutureEmbrace: http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=5b9b … aa54d0a3b6 (5 different cds – the number in the filename is the unique number on the cd. Because of the copy protection, I could not rip the first track of any TFE cd. All other tracks were perfectly copied.)

Sven
      Spectator

thnx will check it out…

are you sure this is OK?
      i mean: are the people to whom these watermarked cds were made out/sent/delivered OK with you ripping this?
      can’t these rips still be traced back to these people?

i of course do know these were/are watermarked first and foremost to prevent any advance-leaking of the material…
      then again and nonetheless: at least as far as i know and understand, the non-ripping/copying/spreading ‘promise’ also extends beyond the release date…
      as these rips could be traced back to the original intended party still, this might not be a big deal pertaining this very cd/release…
      it might not look that good with respect to the label for any future releases…
      even: the ‘penalty’ would still be valid, i think…

OK-
      don’t pass it on, give it to a collector, sell it then?
      well: i’ve got several watermarked promos myself. some made out to me. some to collegues.
      i’ve passed along rips/copies. with the EXPLICIT mention NOT to spread etc.
      plus: i made sure to whom i gave this.
      i would NEVER rip a watermarked cd i got from a collegue.

i’m not out on the issue of selling the cd and thus it being OK or not to rip the cd…

personally: i’d not do it or: would not put it out there online.

in this case: i just hope the original person will not get any trouble. that’s all.

(i just remember clearly when some ueber-rare recordings came into the hands of some collectors. bc then asked them to not spread those to widely and to be \"picky\". this was above all with the forum backlash shit and all in mind. those who’d appreciate the recordings of course would do so and were welcome to get these recordings. with these explicit ‘rules’ stuff was spread in a very small circle. the same happened when we found ‘I Fall’. i myself too made the ‘mistake’ of giving the copy to someone, with the explicit wish to not spread it onwards and within a month’s time it was all over the place online… so: there you go… still: personally i hold my word and value promises and hold wishes and ‘demands’ from for example the man bc himself in high esteem.)

i’ve received a watermarked zeitgeist from someone who was nice enough to just give it away. i never spread anything from that cd. obviously.

these two i bought on ebay. the sellers did not ask me not to spread it. obviously they didn’t care about it, otherwise they wouldn’t sell it on ebay. all they cared about was making some money. personally, i think it’s ok to spread these, in this situation.

and i really doubt anyone will look up who these cds belonged to. there must be hundreds of rips of zeitgeist out there, all without a watermark. i think there’s no point anymore in checking the watermark today. my rips are just another zeitgeist rip. the audio content is identical (only slightly messed with because of the watermark.)

my only issue with making these rips available is that it’s copyrighted material, and it shouldn’t be spread online. people should buy the album if they want it.
      but i assume that everyone already has the album. i hope that nobody who’s looking for a free copy will end up downloading this fairly niche version of the album.

for the rest, a lot has been said about these watermarked promos (\"there is no watermark\", \"it’s a premaster\", …) and some people would like to play with several copies in an attempt to find out more about the watermark and maybe isolate it (which i doubt is possible), so here’s everyone’s chance to check it out.

my conclusions: there is a watermark; it’s not a premaster at all.

Viewing 2 reply threads

The forum ‘Trading Items’ is closed to new topics and replies.