Viewing 21 reply threads
  • Author

Cool As Ice Cream
      Spectator

i was wondering about shipping costs on amazon in north-america.
      i see that there’s always the option for free shipping, but i’m wondering what happens if you buy something on amazon.com and get it shipped to canada, or the other way around, if you buy something on amazon.ca and send it to the united states. i guess there’s no free shipping there. right? and do you have to pay import taxes if you do this? anyone knows?

manillascissor
      Keymaster

you don’t pay import taxes from canada to us, for sure. not sure about the free shipping.

thanks!

i still need some recent US releases for my collection, but i don’t want to pay the taxes on them. so i’m trying to figure out what’s possible. amazon seems to be selling them for the best price.

i think this is what i still need:
      [list:3sc2cyl0]oceania lp
      pisces iscariot lp
      mcis deluxe cd+dvd box
      tafh lp
      tafh deluxe cd+dvd box[/list:u:3sc2cyl0]

mirrorboxer
      Spectator

I live in the US and I’ve ordered from amazon US, UK, CA.

US to US is listed price plus free shipping over $25
      UK to US is VAT free but I pay their standard shipping rate (~3GBP)
      CA to US is listed price plus international shipping rate (~10CAD)

thanks, mirrorboxer.

i still need some recent US releases for my collection

i think this is what i still need:
      [list:1nbyxmdv]oceania lp
      pisces iscariot lp
      mcis deluxe cd+dvd box
      tafh lp[/list:u:1nbyxmdv][/quote:1nbyxmdv]
      (got the tafh cd+dvd box in the mean time.)

does anyone know if amazon.ca sells the US version of the above releases? or do they sell the EU version for some/all of these releases? has anyone bought any of the above from amazon.ca? what release did you get?
      (i don’t need an answer for the tafh lp, as that release is US-only, worldwide.)

i’ve noticed canada sometimes has the EU version of some releases, and not the US one. at least, that’s what i seem to remember.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

i don’t do much with amazon.ca, so i’m afraid i’m not of much help. :(

the last thing i bought off amazon.ca was the mcis 4lp. that was the US pressing.

for these other things, i have to be sure it’s the US release, otherwise i could end up with double EU releases, and i don’t want that. especially not at those prices.

jawn till dusk
      Spectator

Here’s everything I bought from the Canadian site –

Oceania

Vinyl – USA

CD – USA

TAFH

Vinyl – USA

Deluxe cd – USA

MCIS

Vinyl – US

Deluxe CD – US

Standard CD – Ca

So the only Canadian pressing was the standard MCIS CD.

Weird.

excellent. thank you very much for that!

manillascissor
      Keymaster

Here’s everything I bought from the Canadian site –

So the only Canadian pressing was the standard MCIS CD.

Weird.[/quote:32x0h04n]

you mean, this was not the reissue? or it was?

jawn till dusk
      Spectator

It’s the reissue,just the standard 2cd

jawn till dusk
      Spectator

Also meant to say that the standard Pisces reissue was US too.

do you think the pisces reissue got a canadian standard cd release? (since amazon.ca sold the US standard cd release, one might think a canadian version doesn’t exist.)

clearly we have to catch up on these reissues, here on spfreaks. a lot of the standard cd releases of the reissues are still missing. i’m not even sure if all the deluxe editions are up yet.

luckily they seem to have gone back to US only releases for the deluxe and vinyl versions since TAFH. if they keep it that way, it’ll be less work for us, and a lot cheaper for the collectors who want to have every different release.

jawn till dusk
      Spectator

I’m really not sure about this.

It seems really odd that out of all the reissues the only Canadian one I have is the MCIS standard CD.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

do you think the pisces reissue got a canadian standard cd release? (since amazon.ca sold the US standard cd release, one might think a canadian version doesn’t exist.)

clearly we have to catch up on these reissues, here on spfreaks. a lot of the standard cd releases of the reissues are still missing. i’m not even sure if all the deluxe editions are up yet.
      [/quote:nytyc2dv]

not sure about pisces. :?:

and i agree we have some catching up to do. i know arthur and myself have been RIDICULOUSLY busy with personal jobs and the like. i’m 3 records deep into scanning the US MCIS vinyl reissue. very laborious task, but it’s looking great so far! (i stopped before christmas and haven’t returned) :o

Arthur
      Spectator

i know arthur and myself have been RIDICULOUSLY busy with personal jobs and the like.[/quote:qd5z4pz4]
      Exactly, sorry guys. Working 60 hours a week (40 + travel time to customers that is) and having a family with a kid is killing for my favourite hobby currently. :(

i may be wrong here, but i also get the impression that nobody here is actually keeping up with the reissues like a proper freak.
      by that i mean no blame. it’s just an impression.
      some of us used to be all over a new release, collecting all the main international versions and promos within weeks. (i remember it used to be like that when zeitgeist and american gothic came out, for example.) now it seems like we’re all a bit slower, myself included.

i guess the reissues – even though they’re being released fairly slowly – are coming too fast, and are too expensive. you need a big wallet to stay on top of those.
      and there must be other reasons. some people are less into the band, compared to a couple of years ago. that takes away part of the drive to collect.
      and for me, the fact that i think some of the reissue prices are a rip-off, doesn’t help either. i don’t mind spending some money, but if i get the feeling i’m getting ripped off, i stay away.

Arthur
      Spectator

Spot on, Cool. It’s a mixture of all that. Meanwhile we have a very active Dutch collector sending in HUNDREDS of new items, which badly needs uploading. His collection contains some amazing stuff. I just don’t have the time to manage it properly currently… :(

When I was single, I would just lock the front door for the whole weekend, order a pizza for three nights in a row, set up a Smashing Pumpkins jukebox and then I would start researching, scanning, e-mailing, uploading, etc. Those times have gone… :(

However, starting tomorrow, I will have a lot more time to spend on SPfreaks, and I plan to do so. My wife and son are away for three weeks, celebrating Chinese New Year in Malaysia. It was my decision not to go with them, meanwhile working and catching up on things. :)

manillascissor
      Keymaster

i may be wrong here, but i also get the impression that nobody here is actually keeping up with the reissues like a proper freak.
      by that i mean no blame. it’s just an impression.
      some of us used to be all over a new release, collecting all the main international versions and promos within weeks. (i remember it used to be like that when zeitgeist and american gothic came out, for example.) now it seems like we’re all a bit slower, myself included.

i guess the reissues – even though they’re being released fairly slowly – are coming too fast, and are too expensive. you need a big wallet to stay on top of those.
      and there must be other reasons. some people are less into the band, compared to a couple of years ago. that takes away part of the drive to collect.
      and for me, the fact that i think some of the reissue prices are a rip-off, doesn’t help either. i don’t mind spending some money, but if i get the feeling i’m getting ripped off, i stay away.[/quote:3jpn6r1z]

i’ve been trying my best bram, but other opportunities are making it harder and harder to justify the amount i used to spend on the pumpkins. thankfully, the bottom dropped out on the collecting market, but even with that, the newer releases just are not dropping in price. i have time. i wish i could just buy everything and scan it in, but i can’t afford over $100 for the 5LP TAFH reissue box. even though i want it pretty bad!

and the small things, i keep a track as best i can on eBay and i don’t think they release to as many countries as before. if there is a weird country pressing, i pick it up. for example, i only have the US version of the oceania DVD, but also picked up a TH promo version as well because i assume it’s hard to come by. everything else i also assume will be easily attainable later on at ridiculously affordable prices. i hope so, anyway

thankfully, the bottom dropped out on the collecting market, but even with that, the newer releases just are not dropping in price. i have time. i wish i could just buy everything and scan it in, but i can’t afford over $100 for the 5LP TAFH reissue box. even though i want it pretty bad![/quote:3b3g60gr]
      same.

well, i can afford over $100, but it just seems wrong.
      i’m thinking about buying it overseas (amazon us or canada), but i’m really not looking forward to paying 30 euro import taxes and fees.

wow. i went nuts on amazon.ca and now i have to pay 71 euro import taxes and whatever fees. what the fuck?!? that’s insane. what’s the tax rate here? 35%? jebus.

Viewing 21 reply threads

The forum ‘Trading Items’ is closed to new topics and replies.