Viewing 34 reply threads
  • Author

manillascissor
      Spectator

Sauli
      Spectator

No idea what these are but i find it bit odd that center labels are missing… It also looks like one has song both sides, but another don’t. Not sure though.

Arthur
      Spectator

Hard to say when no song(s) are mentioned… Maybe the vinyl experts on here can tell?

manillascissor
      Keymaster

http://www.spfreaks.com/default.aspx?pa … &item=1652

http://www.spfreaks.com/default.aspx?pa … &item=1536

just guesses. can anyone confirm the matrix codes on these? squashed seems like an obvious bootleg, but then again, never know i guess…

so they’re probably just bootlegs without the sleeve, instead of acetates?
      right?

manillascissor
      Keymaster

could be. they could also very well be acetates. it’d be very helpful if someone who owns the two vinyls i referenced above could check their copies to see if squashed is indeed a match. i would do it, but i’m out of town for the duration of the auction.

also, maybe more light could be shed by contacting the seller directly through ebay.

buiopesto
      Spectator

this is what the seller answered when I asked him to give them a listen-and report at least some of the lyrics -:

\"Ok, I just listned to them. One of them has the lyrics \"if you see her, tell me why\" and when I googled that, it came up with the song \"bury me\". The other side I believe is \"I am one\" judging from my google search. These are very raw recordings. Hope that helped.\"

I assume they’re some kind of test pressing of the 1989 7\"demos,since the normal pressing (in black vinyl) is white inside,whereas these on ebay are black..
      -hence a bootleg-

i hadn’t been able to check the pictures on ebay before in full size. they definitely look like acetates (or whatever they are called) and not like normal vinyls.

and what are you saying, buipesto? that these are bootlegs from the bootleg? haha.

buiopesto
      Spectator

i hadn’t been able to check the pictures on ebay before in full size. they definitely look like acetates (or whatever they are called) and not like normal vinyls.

and what are you saying, buipesto? that these are bootlegs from the bootleg? haha.[/quote:1p1dcj9f]

Im sayin’those could be some kind of first pressing of the 1989 demos
      http://www.spfreaks.com/default.aspx?pa … &item=1534

not sure though.

oh, i believe so too.
      i don’t know if these were used in the process of creating the bootleg singles, or if someone made these at home though. but it looks like the content is the same as on \"1989 demos\".

i got a bit confused with \"hence a bootleg\".
      the \"white inside\" is the label. the acetate doesn’t have a label. this seems perfectly normal to me, and i can’t make any deductions from it like \"hence a bootleg\".
      i probably didn’t understand you correctly.

i’m wondering, is this how the machina II vinyls look like? metal plates with a black layer of vinyl-like material on it?

Arthur
      Spectator

Or someone steamed the white paper of an original bootleg (what am I saying here?) away, and is selling them as acetates…? :roll:

backup of the auction description and the pictures (as long as ebay will host them).

Item: Smashing Pumpkins 7\" 45 Rare Records (2) Acetates

Details: Matrix #- squashed-4-a / squashed 4-b

Condition: Playing Field in Near Mint condition (with some dust) on squashed-4-A, and squashed-4-B is Near Mint+++. (the back obviously has manufactuer scratches/surface wear. Letters BS written on back. Check out the pictures)

[/quote:2bbpioni]

Or someone steamed the white paper of an original bootleg (what am I saying here?) away, and is selling them as acetates…? :roll:[/quote:276hwxks]
      but these are two 7 inches, with one song on one side and nothing on the other side. right?

and you can see the vinyl isn’t entirely made out of vinyl. it looks like metal near the hole in the middle, and you can also see it on the back, where they scratched BS. or would that be written on top of the vinyl with a silver marker or something similar?

Arthur
      Spectator

Or someone steamed the white paper of an original bootleg (what am I saying here?) away, and is selling them as acetates…? :roll:[/quote:1c9muskx]
      but these are two 7 inches, with one song on one side and nothing on the other side. right?

and you can see the vinyl isn’t entirely made out of vinyl. it looks like metal near the hole in the middle, and you can also see it on the back, where they scratched BS. or would that be written on top of the vinyl with a silver marker or something similar?[/quote:1c9muskx]
      Right, forgot about that. But I don’t have a clear view on that metal part, it looks like polished plastic/vinyl to me… I’m going for the (rather big) silver marker. For a bootleg thingy, we are paying a lot of attention, aren’t we? :wink:

manillascissor
      Keymaster

yeah, these definitely look to be acetates to me. arthur brings up a good point, they could have removed the white paper label that is typical on the normal release, but why the fuck would anyone do that? also, the records (to me) look thicker than normal. i have no idea if this is typical of acetates?

no bram, i think these are just two identical acetates, that both feature both songs. the seller mentions \"the other side\", so he obviously flipped it when listening. as for the \"BS\" writing, not sure why anyone would need to do that to a record, but it may not affect the playing. they make no mention of it affecting the quality when listened to.

so yeah, case closed on this one. if you’re into test presses of bootlegs, this is a pretty cool find. i’d buy it, but not for $180.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

the \"BS\" looks like it was written with a grease pen. it’s too wide to be a silver sharpie.

Arthur
      Spectator

Actually, I was about to say that, that to me it looks like they have 1 song on each side, at least the one on the left. And the person scribbling BS on those 2 thingies, clearly knew already they are BS. :P

manillascissor
      Keymaster

Well I emailed the seller:

\"Here is a link to the vinyl you are selling:

What you have definitely appears to be acetates, or test pressings, and are very likely extremely rare. However, the record is actually a bootleg, and not an official release. Bury Me is the studio version, found on the album, Gish. The I Am One version that appears on this vinyl is identical to the version released on the I Am One 7” single. It’s slightly different to the Gish album studio version. I hope this helps you with your listing, feel free to share this information as you see fit. Thanks!\"

Will be interesting to see if they update the auction with this information.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

one more post arthur, and your post count will be 4444. better make it a good one. ;)

Arthur
      Spectator

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F8wKeisOWU[/youtube]

buiopesto
      Spectator

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F8wKeisOWU[/youtube]

[/quote:17ltnqzo] :lol: :lol: :wink:

buiopesto
      Spectator

oh, i believe so too.
      i don’t know if these were used in the process of creating the bootleg singles, or if someone made these at home though. but it looks like the content is the same as on "1989 demos".

i got a bit confused with "hence a bootleg".
      the "white inside" is the label. the acetate doesn’t have a label. this seems perfectly normal to me, and i can’t make any deductions from it like "hence a bootleg".
      i probably didn’t understand you correctly.

here u’re right,mine was a rough way to say "hence those are(a test pressing of) a bootleg :-)

buiopesto
      Spectator

and you can see the vinyl isn’t entirely made out of vinyl. it looks like metal near the hole in the middle

good point here-I’ll ask the seller if the center is made of aluminum,then those are definitely acetates-otherwise i’d say test pressing- way too expensive anyway.

Well I emailed the seller:

"Here is a link to the vinyl you are selling:

What you have definitely appears to be acetates, or test pressings, and are very likely extremely rare. However, the record is actually a bootleg, and not an official release. Bury Me is the studio version, found on the album, Gish. The I Am One version that appears on this vinyl is identical to the version released on the I Am One 7” single. It’s slightly different to the Gish album studio version. I hope this helps you with your listing, feel free to share this information as you see fit. Thanks!"

Will be interesting to see if they update the auction with this information.[/quote:10wxvodb]
      ummm, are you sure bury me is the gish version?
      i always thought this vinyl would have the reel time studios version of bury me, as released on the 5 song sampler (aka gish basement tape): http://www.spfreaks.com/default.aspx?pa … S&item=546
      no?

manillascissor
      Keymaster

no, i’m not sure at all about that, honestly. i was just going by what was listed on this site. can anyone provide assistance?

i can’t.

i checked spfc.org to see what they have to say, and found out they have the matrix code! http://www.spfc.org/songs-releases/boot … oot_id=174
      they don’t clarify what version of bury me is on it though. but it only makes sense to have the reel time studios version on there, if it’s called \"1989 demos\".

manillascissor
      Keymaster

yeah that makes sense. cool.

Arthur
      Spectator

I hate to tell you guys, but they’re back, for 1/9th of the original price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Smashing-Pumpkins-u … 0594411401

manillascissor
      Keymaster

that’s more like it. maybe i’ll give these a shot.

this is our chance to get answers to all our questions.

buiopesto
      Spectator

I hate to tell you guys, but they’re back, for 1/9th of the original price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Smashing-Pumpkins-u … 0594411401[/quote:7aaokw06]

"They’ll haunt you,chase your dreams,check where you live….and,once u think they’re gone,
      before u can SCREAM for help :shock: …they’ll be forever settled in yr house" :twisted:

form "The weird case of the 1989 acetates"..ON EBAY,NOW.

they went for $109.49. :shock:
      was the auction winner someone from here?

buiopesto
      Spectator

they went for $109.49. :shock:
      was the auction winner someone from here?[/quote:8dffwt4h]

not me..

Arthur
      Spectator

Not me either.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

not me.

Viewing 34 reply threads

The forum ‘Collecting Items’ is closed to new topics and replies.