Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

Arthur
      Spectator

Just read this…
      http://blog.hipstersunited.com/2010/09/ … g-special/

And I’m wondering if anyone here has one of those…
      If BC’s for real, this would be somewhat nice to compare and hear, for sure!

blueczarina
      Spectator

i haven’t heard of anybody with one of those. that’s sounds cool though.

Sven
      Spectator

I must say: as much as I dislike the artwork and the sonic material…
      This is a WAY cool way of releasing…

I mean:
      From a true collector’s stand point like BC says: this is the realest of deals…:)

OK- the material, I think at least to be quite honest, sucks….

But hey!
      Way back when:
      I didn’t know what the song ‘Siamese Dream’ sounded like.
      And: there was THEN no other way to find out than to buy the 7\"…
      http://www.spfc.org/songs-releases/song … ong_type=1
      Which I did…

This release was readily availabel in Holland then.
      http://www.spfreaks.com/default.aspx?pa … &item=1111
      Then believed to be only 2.000 or 5.000 copies….
      I had like 14 of them all bought from one record store…
      And sold them at the moment of course….

Only:
      And now…
      Here’s the catch…

‘Siamese Dream’ is quite a dreadful sonic piece…
      Same goes for ‘Teargarden Theme’…

So:
      Collectors DO go wild and mad…

But:
      Do we as collectors keep in mind ANY sense of inherent musical value???

With ‘SD’ the song that was the first time my eyes were opened wide!

>>>

Just a question to discuss, I hope:

Where’s the inherent musical value for you as collectors???

With this I mean this:
      – Cherub Rock 7\"- a mono scrap demo as b-side
      – Today 7\" – a very nice song as b-side
      – Disarm 7\" – whatever sonic ramble as b-side
      – Rocket 7\" – a great cover version as b-side

So: shouldn’t values be accordingly?

Nope those aren’t, because of relative rarity and such…

I still find this very very curious in the collecting world…
      It’s the same in the fine arts and all though…

Still:
      yesterday I bought a sculpture by Go Segawa @ Yvon Lambert Galerie in Paris…
      no: it was’nt cheap or anything…
      but: I bought it because it hit a massive emotional nerve with me…
      now-
      then and there: I was shown works by big name artists and the like…
      the works just didn’t appeal to me….
      name or no name…

The sculpture I bought is nr. 5 from an edition of 50.
      I LOVE IT!…
      That’s why I bought it.

Why would a record collector buy something he doesn’t LIKE to hear?
      Or:
      Why would a record collector buy something just because of the limited edition?

I have this:
      http://www.spfreaks.com/default.aspx?pa … &item=1117
      I have the coloured one too, complete…
      I can sell the other one.
      And: I WILL…
      Cause: why have and keep it?

I’ve had several colours of the SD vinyls.
      I’ve sold them all and only retained the best sounding one: black.
      I rest assured the other ones are now in a collection where those are treasured and well loved.

I’m still just wondered by the collecting world…
      Even as I’m now venturing into fine and contemporary art per se….
      It all seems to be about the limited edition and size and all…
      And NOT about the content…

blueczarina
      Spectator

you collect art now? that’s pretty cool.

and it is a neat way of releasing with the different song version in addition to the obelisk. i’m not super big on that EP either, but that certainly adds more ‘special’ to the special version. that’s a rather clever idea on Billy’s part really.

as for what collecting often boils down to- i agree with your bottom comment. i think for lots of people it is more about rarity and limited edition over content or at least i think maybe it often becomes that way even if it started out with a \"i like that\" for its content. i suppose there are lots of explanations for why, but i suppose focusing more on rarity/ monetary value/ size/ etc. can come from looking at collecting as a status thing, wanting bragging rights for having whatever item, or maybe just becoming a bit obsessive about gathering everything.

i collect a variety of things myself including toys (vintage, \"designer\" toys, or just strange ones), poster art (gig posters and ad posters), and some bands (SP, HIM, and a few others) although not as hardcore as most of you guys with your pumpkin rarities. ;) i do think its cool to have the occasional rare limited item, but for me its more about whether or not i actually like the item content wise. there has to be something about it in terms of design, content, or something else to make me buy it. rarity is not that huge of a deciding factor for me. it has to appeal to me beyond that. and in the case of music i have to have a real appreciation for the band and what they represent to me as well as the music on the item and also the album art.

i did buy the Teargarden boxset and i will probably buy the others. i like the notion that they might all look different. they might look kind of cool all together. plus although i’m not big on the music now- who knows maybe i will feel different later. who knows? and i still want to have it anyway for completeness, because for me personally Corgan’s music as a whole (SP and non-SP) is important to me. even if i might not like a song or two here or there i don’t want to be missing a whole era of his creative output because i still put stock in all of it as a whole. i don’t care if i have rare assed promos for everything, but i like what i have collected. i like it for the fact that its Corgan/ SP; i like the music (mostly); i like the art; and it strikes a chord with me as a whole.

Do we as collectors keep in mind ANY sense of inherent musical value???[/quote:3hrt9wau]
      I don’t really do.

For me the two – collecting and the music itself – are almost entirely separate things.
      Right now I don’t really care about the new Pumpkins music – I don’t even listen to it – but I can still enjoy collecting the different releases. The game stays the same: finding out what the different releases are, and trying to find a copy. Fun times.

If a release has music that can’t be found anywhere else, the value increases for me. But this is not related to the quality of the music.

On the other hand, it’s always a favourite piece of music, an album I really like, that gets me into collecting mode. That’s what happened with the Pumpkins and with many other bands.

mirrorboxer
      Spectator

For me the two – collecting and the music itself – are almost entirely separate things.

If a release has music that can’t be found anywhere else, the value increases for me. But this is not related to the quality of the music.

On the other hand, it’s always a favourite piece of music, an album I really like, that gets me into collecting mode. That’s what happened with the Pumpkins and with many other bands.[/quote:3abk87il]

I couldn’t have said it better myself.

What usually ends up happening, is that I find a piece of work that I really like. That’s what turns me into a collector.

I agree that the music is most important. That is why I try to collect every song by the artist that I like. Even if I don’t particularly like it at the moment. I’ve grown as a listener in the past and appreciated music long after it was purchased. If the music is on vinyl, I buy that first and foremost. If the song is only available on CD, then I don’t have much of a choice. Up to now, the only band that I’ve bought both CD and vinyl of the exact same material is TSP. That is unless there is artwork differences (ie: Pisces Iscariot).

I’m am NOT a collector of every variation of every release. I also don’t collect multiple versions of the same songs if I can avoid it. That means no promos or imports unless there is exclusive music on it that can’t be found elsewhere. That is far to OCD for me. Some people enjoy that, but I can’t afford it. I enjoy to much music to dedicate that much money to one artist. Take for example Jack White and his label Third Man Records. INSANE! They release black, tri color, glow in the dark, bizarro, 7", 8", Triple Decker etc. of their releases. That get’s very very expensive considering they limit the special editions to 300 per release which drives the prices way up.

But what drives me crazy is re-issues and catalog numbers. That’s a different story for a different time…

tiny
      Spectator

Mine is still sealed, i was going to leave it sealed as I could see what was in it from the net, but now I am tempted to open it, will i have a ‘golden ticket to go the chocalate factory’lol

jawn till dusk
      Spectator

I wouldn’t open it!

There must be way to decipher if it is one of the rare ones,hopefully

If not it would mean there would never be a chance to buy a SEALED version without knowing.

Shame. :cry:

Arthur
      Spectator

i still want to have it anyway for completeness, because for me personally Corgan’s music as a whole (SP and non-SP) is important to me. even if i might not like a song or two here or there i don’t want to be missing a whole era of his creative output because i still put stock in all of it as a whole. i don’t care if i have rare assed promos for everything, but i like what i have collected. i like it for the fact that its Corgan/ SP; i like the music (mostly); i like the art; and it strikes a chord with me as a whole.[/quote:twm4o7q8]
      99% of my thoughts too on the subject. Thanks for putting it like this! :)

Only, I limit my collection to songs-on-cds ONLY. And just for fun, I collect the promos and compilations and country releases and acetates/test pressings and whatever. Just because I´m a mad music collector. 8)

The very few songs that were cassette-only or vinyl-only, I found them on MP3. No way I have the urge to complete my collection with every original cassette or original vinyl they released… So I could complete my collection of every song that Smashing Pumpkins made, anyway. Together with the live shows that I collected, I´m pretty sure I have a huge part of the Smashing Pumpkins legacy! And enjoying the music still, almost on a daily basis…

Someday this alternate version of Teardgarden EP01 vinyl-only, previously unreleased, song will appear somewhere I´m sure. I´ll grab the MP3 then, and I refuse to pay the higher price for the gold obelisk EP version. If the price is, like, normal, which is no more than 25-30 bucks, then I might be tempted enough to buy the physical release. We´ll see. Just my humble 2 cents…

Viewing 8 reply threads

The forum ‘Collecting Items’ is closed to new topics and replies.