Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author

alladnzane
      Keymaster

Well?

milan
      Spectator

Well… doesn’t excite me. Sounds like Zwan.

jawn till dusk
      Spectator

Better than most of Teargarden,though.

Sven
      Spectator

Wouldn’t have been a winner in the Zwan era…
      Horrible mix, drums totally destroyed, nice melodic guitar part, artrocious singing and the distorted mix is just plain strange and muddy and bizarre…

All in all – WHY???

If this should be the big new statement and Being Beige the first example of this record, then just HOW???
      Is there really no one around to tell Corgan this is just way below his par…?
      In what or whose universe could this sorry excuse for a song be considered great?

Oh well… Oceania was very great, but it’s back to the rest of the Teargarden bummer stuff…
      Or like someone mentioned: \"It’s called Being Beige because \"Shite\" wasn’t pretentious enough\"

manillascissor
      Keymaster

yeah, it’s certainly a song i listened to twice. was pretty excited and after the first listen i was like, well, this is teargarden.

HOWEVER, i really like how teargarden flowed when all the tracks were listened to together, so i’m just shelving the song until the album comes out. unless i hear it on the radio, which will simply not happen. so there’s that.

Sven
      Spectator

yeah makes sense…

however – with Oceania being Teargarden material too…
      i just can’t help but seeing Oceania as something totally / wholly different in terms of songwriting level, production, mixing et cetera…
      of course this song could be the odd one out and I will still be back to give the album a decent chance, but I just can not see why this would be the pre-album single…
      being a dud that it is…

marigold
      Spectator

and the distorted mix is just plain strange and muddy and bizarre…

[/quote:3j72rh7d]

Yes – I was hoping this was just some poor quality upload or the soundcloud app. Still sounds like this on decent headphones. It’s ‘ok’ but for a single it should be more than that :?

also, I think Billy may have gone to the ‘adult contemporary’ style like Sting has….he’s writing a musical too! :)

Spag
      Spectator

I like it! Reminds me of Ma Belle a bit.

Spag
      Spectator

also, I think Billy may have gone to the ‘adult contemporary’ style like Sting has….he’s writing a musical too! :)[/quote:1xkg702w]

I wonder how their ‘doom metal album’ will sound…

amnesia
      Spectator

The more i listen to it, the more i like it.It aint that bad guys.Give Billy some credit.

Anyone pre-order the album yet? I just did, though its a pain to wait till 9 dec :(

amnesia
      Spectator

Horrible mix, drums totally destroyed, nice melodic guitar part, artrocious singing and the distorted mix is just plain strange and muddy and bizarre…

All in all – WHY???

If this should be the big new statement and Being Beige the first example of this record, then just HOW???
      Is there really no one around to tell Corgan this is just way below his par…?
      In what or whose universe could this sorry excuse for a song be considered great?

Oh well… Oceania was very great, but it’s back to the rest of the Teargarden bummer stuff…
      Or like someone mentioned: "It’s called Being Beige because "Shite" wasn’t pretentious enough"[/quote:3fk4lcld]

You know Sven.I disagre with you 100%. Who are you to say in which universe could call Being Beige for a excuse of a song? How dare you to justify other peoples opinion, if they love the song.Might not be the best song ever, yet, its still good song.this aint the 90´s anymore my freind.Leave the past be and try to enjoy youre fav band in this time of era.

Sven
      Spectator

yeah: go ahead and enjoy the song if that’s what you feel like, sure thing. :)

your saying \"it’s still a good song\" is a much of value or lack thereof as my critique that it’s below BC’s par, pretty much shite and sadly a sorry excuse for a smashing track…

just try to take into account the hype and grand stories BC’s been telling about this new record, his speeches about the music industry and the state thereof now et cetera… ok, fair enough, and here we go… back he comes with this… to me this song begs the obvious rhetorical questions I raised: in what or whose universe does BC think, really think and feel, Being Beige is the big, massive, smashing comeback tune that will make everybody sit straight up and pay attention in a positive way? that is pretty much totally beyond me. not only because of what’s around musically in rock or whatever, but because of the song itself, the mix, the production et cetera. and with the universe I mean BC’s…

still: the album could be a wholly different story altogether.

oh and by the way: please don’t imply things I haven’t said, like yearning for a return to the 90s or whatever… p-p-please… as that’s by far not what i was or am saying.

but remember this: back in the 90s with the disfunctional family TSP was, D’Arcy was around and – BC has said so much himself – she was one of the very few people capable of telling him he was full of shit and thus keeping a very strict level of \"quality control\" in terms of keeping matters in check… this is not to advocate a return to those difficult times or a comeback of D’Arcy. this is to say however that i have the feeling a D’Arcy-like figure is very much so missed in more recent times when it comes to BC’s releases.

oh well.. it’s just pretty amusing to read the blind adoration… dedication to TSP is what brings us here, so that’s a good thing… :)

Spag
      Spectator

but remember this: back in the 90s with the disfunctional family TSP was, D’Arcy was around and – BC has said so much himself – she was one of the very few people capable of telling him he was full of shit and thus keeping a very strict level of "quality control" in terms of keeping matters in check… this is not to advocate a return to those difficult times or a comeback of D’Arcy. this is to say however that i have the feeling a D’Arcy-like figure is very much so missed in more recent times when it comes to BC’s releases.
      [/quote:xeo7l0fv]

It seems to me that Jeff these days has a much bigger influence on the direction and quality of the band than D’Arcy ever had. Oviously I don’t have any hard evidence for this, but since Jeff’s by far the better musican (better than D’Arcy, that is) I think Billy values his opinion more than hers.

Spag
      Spectator

just try to take into account the hype and grand stories BC’s been telling about this new record, his speeches about the music industry and the state thereof now et cetera… [/quote:1bqjncih]

If we’d all stop listining to BC talk (or if he stops talking), we would enjoy his music much more. :wink:

Sophie
      Spectator

Hello everybody!
      It’s been a while I know.

So we got \"being beige\" as a first single. Very surprising choice isn’t it? I must admit I was a bit bewildered during my first listening.

A big buzz around Tommy Lee and the first single released is a pop one with a drum machine that can clearly be heard since the very beginning of the song.
      Billy said this opus would be focused on guitars but the guitar arpeggios are quite often overwhelmed by the keyboard.
      :?:

I’m still too puzzled to determine wether the song is good or not. Ask me later
      So far I’m just in a \"it’s not what I expected\" mood.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

Hello everybody!
      It’s been a while I know.

So we got "being beige" as a first single. Very surprising choice isn’t it? I must admit I was a bit bewildered during my first listening.

A big buzz around Tommy Lee and the first single released is a pop one with a drum machine that can clearly be heard since the very beginning of the song.
      Billy said this opus would be focused on guitars but the guitar arpeggios are quite often overwhelmed by the keyboard.
      :?:

I’m still too puzzled to determine wether the song is good or not. Ask me later
      So far I’m just in a "it’s not what I expected" mood.[/quote:ai8yo4yd]

pretty much this ^^^^^^

marigold
      Spectator

still: the album could be a wholly different story altogether.
      [/quote:1mmnwb0u]

This is true – there was a very cool riff posted on the Nexus a few months ago, which sounded like ‘a rocker’. And the people who have heard the album apparently are saying it’s ‘a return to form’. So…like Oceania:

From wikipedia: "The album has received generally positive reviews, with many reviewers finding Oceania to be a return to form for Corgan. "

Don’t expect any epics though – the longest song on MTAE is 4.08 – and on Oceania there are 8 songs which are 4.06 or longer…perhaps the shorter songs are easier to play live, which means not so much exhaustion for poor ol’ Billy.

Pretty sure the ‘doom metal album’ was a joke! :P

Sophie
      Spectator

Just quoting what Billy said yesterday or two days ago in an interview (Gigwise):
      [url:us2qtnsy]http://www.gigwise.com/news/95393/smashing-pumpkins-were-more-a-concept-than-a-band[/url:us2qtnsy]

\"It’s interesting about Monuments To An Elegy is that every song is pretty different,\"
      \"Really, it’s sort of like the best of that kind of song\".

So yes : \"the album could be a wholly different story altogether. \" :)

Sven
      Spectator

Just quoting what Billy said yesterday or two days ago in an interview (Gigwise):
      [url:2vp7gxmo]http://www.gigwise.com/news/95393/smashing-pumpkins-were-more-a-concept-than-a-band[/url:2vp7gxmo]

"It’s interesting about Monuments To An Elegy is that every song is pretty different,"
      "Really, it’s sort of like the best of that kind of song".

So yes : "the album could be a wholly different story altogether. " :)[/quote:2vp7gxmo]

Very well then! :) :) :)

alladnzane
      Spectator

Pretty sure the ‘doom metal album’ was a joke! :P

:::: I THINK SO ::::

Viewing 19 reply threads

The forum ‘General’ is closed to new topics and replies.