Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

toad32r
      Keymaster

What do you think of Billy’s new Pope-like costume? Personally I like it, but I’m not sure if he is making some sort of statement, or if it is purely visual. Anyone thought about this?

toad32r
      Spectator

I know its just my opinion, but what i get from the new costume is that its a lighter side of what once was. The last tour they were on, where Billy wore the black outfit that in a way reflects the darker side. Maybe this is a way to show the fun that they are trying to have now. I think its cool! Actually, i think thats what the Tarantula video is all about too. Ive seen alot of comments that ppl dont like the video because it doesnt show any creativity. I think the exact opposite, The Pumpkins are having fun again!!

Peace out…….

darcysiva
      Spectator

i think the costumes in general are kind of ridiculous looking. i think billy is going to take flight! lol. why can’t they just wear normal clothes?? i wonder if james and d’arcy were on board.. would they have totally vetoed the costume idea?

toad32r, I totally agree with you! somehow there’s a lot of negativity surrounding the band, I really don’t know why… blabla about darcy and james iha (who cares? this band is cool! they played with different members anyway over the years, right?) and blabla about why it should or should or should not be called Pumpkins. Billy is probably more creative when he can use that name/concept, who am I to say something else or judge it. I just like the music (again) and that’s what keeps me fan, right?

somehow there’s a lot of negativity surrounding the band, I really don’t know why… blabla about darcy and james iha (who cares? this band is cool! they played with different members anyway over the years, right?) [/quote:3dkgiuq4]

of course there alot of negativity surrounding the band, that’s how SP has always been. In 88 they got people to see them because their friends said "god I hate the smashing pumpkins! you have to see them!" As i always say, they are the band everyone loves to hate. So many people are pissed off about Zeitgeist, but if they’re pissed, they’re paying attention. They don’t like the CONCEPT of it, not the music, because everyone knows it’s phenomenal. SP’s main idea has never changed. People hate them, find out about them, but they can’t deny they’re wonderful.

also I have to say I think that their outfits are awesome. Well Jeff’s headthing is kinda.. weird. but Billy’s outfit is freakin awesome, and so is Ginger’s. I haven’t really seen jimmy’s though. I would totally wear Billy or Ginger’s outfits.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

somehow there’s a lot of negativity surrounding the band, I really don’t know why… blabla about darcy and james iha (who cares? this band is cool! they played with different members anyway over the years, right?) [/quote:1yx1kiju]

of course there alot of negativity surrounding the band, that’s how SP has always been. In 88 they got people to see them because their friends said "god I hate the smashing pumpkins! you have to see them!" As i always say, they are the band everyone loves to hate. So many people are pissed off about Zeitgeist, but if they’re pissed, they’re paying attention. They don’t like the CONCEPT of it, not the music, because everyone knows it’s phenomenal. SP’s main idea has never changed. People hate them, find out about them, but they can’t deny they’re wonderful.[/quote:1yx1kiju]

You know, I have a hard time disagreeing w/ this. A lot of people do tend to hate the Pumpkins, be it Billy’s voice, or that they’ve "sold out", or Billy’s comments sometimes in the press. But all of these things, are what I LOVE about them.

somehow there’s a lot of negativity surrounding the band, I really don’t know why… blabla about darcy and james iha (who cares? this band is cool! they played with different members anyway over the years, right?) [/quote:qg7w8y4h]

of course there alot of negativity surrounding the band, that’s how SP has always been. In 88 they got people to see them because their friends said "god I hate the smashing pumpkins! you have to see them!" As i always say, they are the band everyone loves to hate. So many people are pissed off about Zeitgeist, but if they’re pissed, they’re paying attention. They don’t like the CONCEPT of it, not the music, because everyone knows it’s phenomenal. SP’s main idea has never changed. People hate them, find out about them, but they can’t deny they’re wonderful.[/quote:qg7w8y4h]
      yeah – in several reviews (especially kerrang! – 2/5 review, 1000-2000 words, spent ONE [short] PARAGRAPH on the music! the rest was just bitching) they have been going on about everything BUT the music!

yeah and talking about the costumes… I was kinda surprised to see them like that, but now I’m used to it. but I have no idea what statement Billy/the band wants to make here. well… I can think of something however: bring the daily life back to the basics, choose for yourself without being selfish and at least have an opinion of your own… makes sense? guess not. but black and white leaves that impression with me anyway. we should ask him, i just found out on their homepage that we can upload a video with questions to the band. don’t have a proper cam however :(

I mean here:

http://www.youtube.com/group/askapumpkin

Been waiting around the last seven years for the Smashing Pumpkins to re-assemble? Now that they have, it’s time to ask them your burning questions. This is the place to upload your video queries! The band will select a handful and bring you their responses!

Tips for a good question to Ask A Pumpkin?

— Keep it simple and direct, questions should be under 30 seconds.
      — Be original – ask them whatever is on your mind. Anything, go ahead.
      — The Pumpkins want to see and hear you — zoom in, camera steady and let your voice be heard loud and clear.
      — Final questions are selected by the Smashing Pumpkins.
      — All questions are subject to YouTube’s terms of service.

Now it’s time to get your video camera and Ask A Pumpkin!

toad32r
      Spectator

I think its strange that the outfits have changed now that they are back in the US. Different strokes….

Viewing 10 reply threads

The forum ‘General’ is closed to new topics and replies.