Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Arthur
      Spectator

Just a question for the hardcore collectors. Basically, when is a promo cd exactly a promo cd?

I just received a Vampire Diaries soundtrack cd, and the barcode on the back contains a big bullet hole (like 1 cm). The biggest I have seen so far. The seller described it as a promo cd. In my collectors’ life I’ve seen these things a few times more, but never paid too much attention to be honest. But now it raises this question anyway… I’ve seen (promo?) cds with a little cut out through the barcode, a pencil or marker stripe through the barcode, a small or bigger round hole through the barcode, etc. Maybe you know some examples also. Basically they ruin the barcode in some way. Is this an US-only habit, and is this way of treating the barcode really the way how promo cds (maybe vinyl too?) are made?

manillascissor
      Keymaster

Vinyl will typically have a promo notch cut out near the top of the spine of the sleeve. Some CDs also display this \"notching\". I’ve seen MANY CDs use the hole, and usually, no big deal. But it was done with the Gish gold promo. Most of the time, it’s legit, but is typically the size of a hole-punch for paper. Personally, don’t recall a vinyl with the barcode hole…

Sauli
      Spectator

Vinyl will typically have a promo notch cut out near the top of the spine of the sleeve. Some CDs also display this "notching". I’ve seen MANY CDs use the hole, and usually, no big deal. But it was done with the Gish gold promo. Most of the time, it’s legit, but is typically the size of a hole-punch for paper. Personally, don’t recall a vinyl with the barcode hole…[/quote:yiwbgmnh]

Those cuts in vinyl covers / spines or other sides are also just made to mark that release should not be sold for regular price. So not at least not always used as promo when there are cut-out. Also there are one corner cutted out and as mentioned hole-punches, which have same meaning: promo or reduced price.

i believe that’s correct: it doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s a promo.

i personally make a big difference between proper promo releases (not identical to the commercial release), and normal releases that have been given out as a promo, for example with the barcode or the cd case punched, or with a promo sticker slapped on.
      i find the proper promo releases way more interesting.

Arthur
      Spectator

I fully agree with that. Here is my bullet hole promo nevertheless, it was uploaded today. Just for fun. :)

Viewing 4 reply threads

The forum ‘Collecting Items’ is closed to new topics and replies.