Viewing 42 reply threads
  • Author

Cool As Ice Cream
      Spectator

Hi all!
      [url:tlvnm2fm]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT&item=120346421914[/url:tlvnm2fm]

Nice little sum in the end….

Now I wonder what to say about the difference between one of those WLP with artwork attached, and without.

Is there a difference in the pressing quantity?

I got Cherub rock WLP, but without the artwork. Is that also 1 of 25?
      And 25? How do we know it’s 25?
      And 25 does it count for all early 12\" WLP:s?

I know that the I am one is more frequent on e-bay, but does that mean that there is more of them out there really?

To sum it up from SPFC.

Peel session,

TP 12\": 20 test pressings (dated 20-5-92) on black vinyl in final production sleeve.
      Promo 12\" : White Label Promo on black vinyl in Hut sleeve (black or blue with Hut logo). Unknown amount pressed

If I look at \"my collection\" is says 20 pressed of the WLP?
      If there is a production sleeve with the WLP, what does it mean? (probably nothing..)

I am one,
      TP 12\": Unknown quantity of a test pressing on black vinyl in plain white sleeve
      Promo 12\": White Label Promo on black vinyl in Hut sleeve (black or blue with Hut logo). 20-25 pressed

Here is the oddity that I own (2 of actually) one side reddish and one side yellowish
      Significance unknown.

Cherub rock,
      TP 12\": 25 test pressings on black vinyl in final production sleeve
      Promo 12\" : White Label Promo on black vinyl in Hut sleeve (black or blue with Hut logo). Unknown amount pressed

Here the \"my collection\" says 25 WLP pressed.

And on my copy I got the engraving \"Claire\" (or whatever)
      Significance unknown.

Just some wondering from me…..
      I just brought up those that I personally own, for now.

And I know, nobody can tell what’s true or right amount (if we don’t got the numbers written down)

Are you sure I Am One white label promo is more frequent on eBay? I think Peel Sessions and Cherub Rock were the most frequent ones, but I might be wrong.

And those spfc.org numbers are just estimates. Not sure what makes a test pressing a test pressing, or what makes a WLP a WLP. They look the same to me. I guess a test pressing doesn’t necessarily come in the generic Hut sleeve.

The question \"Is there a difference in the pressing quantity?\" is a bit weird to me. It might be better to ask if there’s a difference in availability. Because I don’t think they pressed a couple of WLPs with artwork proof and did another pressing for WLPs without artwork proof.

I think it goes like this:
      – they press a very small number of test pressings (3? 5?)
      – then they do a small run of WLPs (25? 100?)
      – next to that they do the artwork proof prints – some WLPs are spread with artwork proof, others without

I don’t know. That’s how I see things. It might not be 100% accurate.

JamesIha
      Spectator

Are you sure I Am One white label promo is more frequent on eBay? I think Peel Sessions and Cherub Rock were the most frequent ones, but I might be wrong.

And those spfc.org numbers are just estimates. Not sure what makes a test pressing a test pressing, or what makes a WLP a WLP. They look the same to me. I guess a test pressing doesn’t necessarily come in the generic Hut sleeve.

The question "Is there a difference in the pressing quantity?" is a bit weird to me. It might be better to ask if there’s a difference in availability. Because I don’t think they pressed a couple of WLPs with artwork proof and did another pressing for WLPs without artwork proof.

– next to that they do the artwork proof prints – some WLPs are spread with artwork proof, others without

I don’t know. That’s how I see things. It might not be 100% accurate.[/quote:zytvyvi9]

I think you’re right. But it’s really interesting to find out .

Can’t we all give the info needed in this thread and I will put together a googledoc with all information availible.

Like This:
      I got
      2 I am one WLP with HUT-sleeve, Yellow on side A and red on side B (Y/R from now on)
      1 Peel session with HUT-sleeve and final production artwork, B/B (Blueish/Blueish)
      1 Cherub Rock with HUT-sleeve B/B (engraving Claire)

If everybody contribute with what they got then we can get a better view of what’s around.

Anybody?
      Get it coming, WLP:s acetates/TP:s

JamesIha
      Spectator

another adding to my I am one WLP:s

Looked at the records and noticed that both of them got \"flaws\" on side B
      Looks like there was not enough vinyl when making them or something
      The peel session looks good but cherub rock got like a perfect look with a mark that looks like someone dropped water on a watercolourpainting… (hard to explain)

Can’t we all give the info needed in this thread and I will put together a googledoc with all information availible.[/quote:23ooyzr9]
      I’ll do this later. Probably next week.

some pumpkins
      Spectator

the only wlp i have is \"i am one\"

and i was curious myself regarding that cherub rock \"test press\" on ebay. i think cool as ice cream may have it right.

Arthur
      Spectator

I don’t know. That’s how I see things. It might not be 100% accurate.[/quote:2rrv9uvd]
      If you guys here have finished talking about this subject and have gathered all the necessary information, then I’m going to write a little SPfreaks.com homepage article about it. This subject intrigues me very much, though I’m not even a vinyl collector myself. Good idea?

Thom
      Spectator

I’d agree that peel sessions seems to be the most common. I have a feeling the pressings of all the wlps were well in advance of 25. I’d guess around 100, and probably more given how often they show up but that’s only a guess. I’d say the best thing to do if you’re really interested is try keeping a tally of how many show up on ebay. That should give you a pretty good idea of relative scarcity. If you’re interested in what I’ve got I can post a list next week some time. I think statistically it’d be more representative to follow ebay though. I obviously have the common stuff but then I have stuff that is considerably rarer, so will manilla and a few others. Seeing that there are so many in people’s collections could make them seem common but I may have seen 20 peel sessions wlps to one of the rarer ones. Make sense?

JamesIha
      Spectator

I’d agree that peel sessions seems to be the most common. I have a feeling the pressings of all the wlps were well in advance of 25. I’d guess around 100, and probably more given how often they show up but that’s only a guess. I’d say the best thing to do if you’re really interested is try keeping a tally of how many show up on ebay. That should give you a pretty good idea of relative scarcity. If you’re interested in what I’ve got I can post a list next week some time. I think statistically it’d be more representative to follow ebay though. I obviously have the common stuff but then I have stuff that is considerably rarer, so will manilla and a few others. Seeing that there are so many in people’s collections could make them seem common but I may have seen 20 peel sessions wlps to one of the rarer ones. Make sense?[/quote:2p5g04tu]

Well as I see it on ebay then I have seen most of "I am one"
      So it’s really unclear that way too I think. but it’s the most common way to sell/buy record on so ofcoarse it’s the best way to keep track.
      However we as a "collectors bunch" can make an even better check if we gather all information that we got.
      Like the "my collection" thing (awsome arthur, awsome!!)
      I’m really curious to see how many of each WLP and TP we can find together so please post here the ones you got, even the more unusual ones.

Like the discussion we had about red/yellow labels. Maybe there is all sorts of combinations, blue/yellow and so on.

I’m happy sorting the things out in a "clear way" so keep posting or mail/PM me the info.

Arthur, an article would be great once we know more, good call.

Sven
      Spectator

basically the pressing plant fabricates the pressing plates…
      they then do 20-25 real test pressings…(for a well known act with label etc, standard is arond 5 though)
      these are to be tested by the band/producer/label….
      hence the test/reaction sheet…
      sometimes the mock-up for the sleeve is ready at the same time…(or even the final production sleeves – which then would have been approved of at an earlier stage)
      these two things both need to be approved…
      so it makes total sense for these two items to be together with a test pressing…

when agreed upon the test pressing’s quality production can start
      a couple of white labels are made for promotional use (almost only in the UK)
      these tend not to feature the artwork, but come in the standard hut bag

the numbers at spfc come straight from hut or the pressing plant…
      i know dave took a long time to get those numbers, but these i believe are no estimation; when estimation spfc states so.
      i think they messed up some numbers though.
      the pressing quantity of the white labels is pretty much unknown.
      the pressing quantity of the test pressings is known and can be traced back to the production bills.

now – white label promos are part of the final production run; most of the time that is as you wouldn’t go out on promotion with a faulty pressing, would you?that’s why these are produced only from the approved version of the press(ing plates/master).

hope this helps ;)

fun reading for vinyl freaks:
      [url:2icz5egs]http://eil.com/explore/guide/vinyl_making.asp[/url:2icz5egs]
      [url:2icz5egs]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_label[/url:2icz5egs]
      [url:2icz5egs]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gramophone_record#Record_mastering_and_pressing[/url:2icz5egs]
      [url:2icz5egs]http://www.bbc.co.uk/1xtra/1xmusic/distribution/vinylp02.shtml[/url:2icz5egs]
      [url:2icz5egs]http://www.bbc.co.uk/1xtra/1xmusic/distribution/vinylp05.shtml[/url:2icz5egs]

the numbers at spfc come straight from hut or the pressing plant…
      i know dave took a long time to get those numbers, but these i believe are no estimation; when estimation spfc states so.
      i think they messed up some numbers though.
      the pressing quantity of the white labels is pretty much unknown.
      the pressing quantity of the test pressings is known and can be traced back to the production bills.

now – white label promos are part of the final production run; most of the time that is as you wouldn’t go out on promotion with a faulty pressing, would you?that’s why these are produced only from the approved version of the press(ing plates/master).

hope this helps ;)[/quote:1hzemui9]
      yes, it does. thanks!

Sven
      Spectator

you’re welcome ;)

Sven
      Spectator

now-
      maybe someone else can clear this up-
      but white label promos to me seem to be some kind of UK only thing…
      test presses always exist, white label or otherwise…
      as with Siamese Dream for example-
      HUT Recs used white label 2LPs to promo out-
      And they used cds too-
      Now- why all the hassle of white label promo LPs to send out?
      I do recall hearing once that with advance playing on the radio or something these white labels might be exempt from classification to the copyright agency, thus not costing the station any money to play on the air (as all and every played tracks do) so this might be an incentive to play a record on the air – hence the white label promotion…
      I’m just not quite sure on this issue/matter, I guess I have a file somewhere as I know for a fact I researched this once, can’t find it now – nor can I find any information on this matter conclusively on the web other than the DJ in a club-setting stuff… but that’s not what I’m referring to.
      I mean – these white labels are no review copies as it is a pain in the ass to figure out what it is and and and so a reviewer would get a nice cd to work with-
      Club DJs won’t play this from an LP so that doesn’t seem to be the target place/peeps for this promotion…
      Leaves radio open and I guess with the copyright thing/issue/matter it does make sense – now: is that a UK only rule of law?
      I’m curious if any other countries work with white label promos too? I guess we’ve never seen white label promotional copies from Virgin US or elsewhere, did we?
      Just being very curious – test presses are a safe and sound deal and story…
      But the white label promotional copies – I just don’t know…
      Maybe it was the fool proof way back in the nineties to advance promo an album out before the release to try to minimize leaking back then even – could also be a sound explanation; I mean The White Stripes promo copies for Elephant were vinyl only for example (not surprisingly so as it’s the release format of supreme choice for Jack White, but still…)— Then again: when advance promoting an album to the press why not use the full commercial release sleeve? To try and minimize the possibilty to sell it on? Dunno – posting a 2LP versus a cd?
      I gravite towards the point where I guess now the true white label promo copies were sent to radio.
      And maybe a couple of very high profile press peeps for advance listening for reviews.
      Maybe someone has more info on this matter of the white label promotional copies?
      Would be appreciated ;)

Sven
      Spectator

bc himself told me they upped the bass levels of The Everlasting Gaze after checking the test pressings.
      basically this means the destruction of one side of the pressing mould, so one pressing plate and cutting a new master-side for the LP and fabricating a brand new pressing plate…

now – with a totally cool balanced tone-arm (like my Technics SL1200MKII with Orotofon QBert cartridge) there’s just about no problem with the tracking… however: with my previous hi-fi pretty much higher part of the mid-range record player the bass response was so fucking heavy, the needle couldn’t and wouldn’t track in TEG exactly at the point where the band kicks in full force…

i clearly remember bc’s words: ‘well, tough luck; this is what it’s supposed to sound like!’ with an added smile by the guy who in releasing Machina II exemplified his love for the vinyl format.. just check the releases for The Smashing Pumpkins, from the early days, right through the Siamese Singles and the MCATIS 3LP, Adore and the alternate master for Machina… this band loves vinyl… ;)

yep – Gish was basically dumped to vinyl (with corrections of course for vinyl can’t handle the full motherload of a cd mastering mix), same goes for Siamese Dream… and my ears tend to think same applies to MCATIS… i guess that’s basically the cd-master dumped too… Adore got the monaural treatment… Machina on cd was a motherload of digital clipping and distortion which wouldn’t work on vinyl so the seperation and saturartion was altered, at least, so it sounds… it might have been a slightly different alternate master to retain the punch and massive sound but to accomodate the vinyl limitations and perks… Zwan was a cd-master dump too, but sounds better on vinyl still as it’s no 0dB mastering but slightly below so it’s not too saturated… i for me would love to hear JCs and BCs solo records on a proper vinyl mix or for that matter a proper mix down to vinyl for Zeitgeist’although with the latter i guess a lot of the mixing and separation was destroyed in the bouncing of analogue tracks in the mix down for the cd… a version of Zeitgeist pre-analogue bouncing saturation to the extreme max (which they did to make a cd sound somewhat akin to over-saturated analogue equipment to begin with) on vinyl, which would basically be an off the wall deep and hard and saturated maxing out the vinyl possibilities mix (refer to The Fragile 3LP by Nine Inch Nails; their The Downward Spiral on vinyl is amazing too by the way!) would i know for a fact bring out so much more clarity and depth and transparancy in the sound and layering and the drums and all… well: i guess we might never see that happen unfortunately… at least for me as i love my vinyl(s) and turntable and don’t buy any cds anymore as anything i love and cherish is released on vinyl too nowadays again…. unfortunately some acts don’t get the proper shit together and release a shit sounding disc — for example: A Place to Bury Strangers… the debut LP sounds like shite on Important Records… the remaster is a blast and a joy… money and time was tight for the initial release i know so i am not complaining, only: now that the remaster’s there… damn! this thing’s sweet… plus: it’s one of those very rare releases mastered way below the industry standard nowadays of 0dB so it’s rather mellow sounding, but when you crank it up it still retains it’s full high fidelty separation and transparancy and depth… fuck LOUD AT ANY VOLUME ;)

end of vinyl freak-rant ;)

this band loves vinyl[/quote:2mrg1w3f]
      not anymore, it seems. there’s no zeitgeist on vinyl.

JamesIha
      Spectator

Love your vinyl ranting :-)
      Me to loves the Vinyl but for me it’s more about the hole concept of a proper source to see and feel an hear. Then the albums are bigger and the booklet for the Machina for example is lovely for vinyl, compared to the MD for example, you can hardly see whats in it :-)

Your theory on the WLP seems correct enough, but it would be good to really know the truth.
      But the WLP for SP is a different sort compared to US releases of WLPs, amI right?
      Got some Dylan WLPs and they don’t look nothing like the SP releases. That must be the UK contra US thing.
      One odd thing that I found on both SP and Dylan WLP is that the quality on the pressing seems low. As I explained earlier in this thread, there is visible flaws form the pressing, flaws that even is noticeble when hearing. Thats not a real good idea to make promotion??

The I agree with Cool as icecream, do they really love vinyl?
      No zeitgeist?
      And you say that the other releases were made from taking a CD-master down to vinyl. Doesn’t sound like making a lot to encourage vinyl listening and so on?

Thom
      Spectator

Another possible explanation for the WLPs is that the records were pressed up very close to the release date. In that case they could grab the first few off the production run and send them out to whoever needed them, i.e. reviewers, radio promotion etc. By that time perhaps the sleeves and labels weren’t ready so they were sent out in company sleeves. That gives a week or two for the reviewers etc before the discs hit the shelves. For your explanation of copyright / radio why not put them in the correct sleeve even if they are white labels? BTW I’m pretty sure that all of these would have come with press releases so it wouldn’t have been hard to work out what was on each disc. I’ve found a few of them with a press release inside the sleeve.

Thanks for the great posts Sven, interesting reading as always.

Sven
      Spectator

thnx guys!
      great topic this ;)

yep – the band LOVES vinyl-
      well- blame the label for NO vinyl release of ZEITGEIST
      not wanting to take the investment-risk? whatever?
      dunno- it’s been a label descision and how much can you do?

dumping a cd-master unto vinyl-
      well- again: NIN remixes the total master for vinyl expressively-
      a lot of bands don’t-
      some TSP release did feature a vinyl-mix…
      some didn’t-
      most people won’t be able to tell I guess-
      and it’s an awesome amount of work-
      basically you’ve got to remix the \"master\" completely for this effort-
      so do a completely new mix for vinyl only-
      works better – then again: is it worth the hassle and effort?
      can you hear?
      and again – costs, label influence and all—-

i agree Thom – i guess most WLPs are just the very first pressed-
      my copyright idea stems from the basic point that with a WLP (although you do get the press release and all) you basically can’t tell what you’re playing (this might be a little bit of legal detail of something) and thus not have to declare the song—
      don’t really know for sure- it was just a basic idea-

JamesIha-
      Dunno- i mean; the flaws you describe, were they in the pressing per se?
      I.e. flawed pressings?
      Or are they down to incorrect handling at a later date?

I mean-
      the band invests a lot into their arts and crafts-
      but making a ZEITGEIST 2LP costs a lot of cash-
      I guess it WOULD sell and they COULD do it or something (provided the contract allows them too)-
      But why would they? Given the response to the album and the current status?
      I just can’t see it happen – although the guys do love vinyl…. ;)

I wouldn’t blame the label and not the band. That’s too easy.
      I’ve read or heard in interviews that Billy finds it a real hassle to release an album on vinyl. It’s a lot of work. They need a different mix if they want to do it right, and the artwork has to work out on the 12\"x12\" format too.
      There almost wasn’t a vinyl release of MCIS, I believe for the same reason.

Sven
      Spectator

Yeah well-
      It might be the \"easy\" way to blame the label-
      But indeed: having to come up with the new master mix and all it costs money-
      Reimagining the art and all-
      Then it all boils down to- what expect in terms of sale figures and who’s going to cough up the financing.
      I guess it’s still a label decision to either do it or not.
      The UK 7\" market is still strong, so that might explain the two Zeitgeist vinyl singles.
      As for MCIS singles- I’ve never quite understood why they didn’t do those on vinyl too- I’m with you there. That would have been a sure fire seller I guess…
      Zwan got the 7\" singles plus the 2LP…
      BCs solo record didn’t, neither so it seems will Zeitgeist as an album-
      Bummer and a pity I think-
      However: I’d rather have no vinyl release than a shitty one-

My Gish/Siamese Dream 12\" WLPs:

4 x Peel Sessions, in black Hut sleeve:
      Side A: HUTT-17-A1 white label
      Side B: HUTT-17-B1 white label
      (One comes with artwork proof.)

1 x I Am One, in black Hut sleeve:
      Side A: HUTT18-A1 pink label
      Side B: HUTT18-B1 pink label

3 x Cherub Rock, in black Hut sleeve:
      Side A: HUTT 31 A1 JA CLAIRE white label
      Side B: HUTT 31 B1 white label
      (Note: The \"jA claire\" is also present on the commercial release.)

1 x Today, in blue Hut sleeve:
      Side A: HUTT 37 A1 pink label
      Side B: HUTT 37 B1 pink label

1 x Disarm, in blue Hut sleeve:
      Side A: HUTT 43 A-1-1-1 TOWNHOUSE DMM white label
      Side B: HUTT 43 B-1-1-1 TOWNHOUSE DMM white label
      (\"HUTT 43 A/B-1-1-1\" is done by a machine. All the rest, also on the above promos, has been done by hand.)

Some of the white labels might be a bit blueish, but none looked convincing blue to me tonight, so I put white everywhere. Might recheck that later, especially if everyone else has blueish labels.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

If you look REALLY CLOSE at some of the \"white\" labels, you can see writing underneath it. At least on some of my copies. Makes me think they just use labels that didn’t get used for other releases and press/glue them on there, writing side down. Plus the writing is always backwards.

Now that you mention it! I noticed mirrored text, hardly readable, on two of the labels. I wondered what that was. It all makes sense now.

So the \"pink\" white label promo labels are probably red labels, used upside down, right? What do you think?

JamesIha
      Spectator

Yes, that’s another thing too. Had forgotten about it. I will take pictures of the labels and try to see what it is.
      Here is a pink WL that’s inverted and \"enhanced\" so the writing is clearer.
      First I thought it was a barcode but now???

JamesIha
      Spectator

ok
      THE WAR (or WAS)
      seems to be the beginning?
      the last word seems to end with RS beginn with H?

got to google the war……

JamesIha
      Spectator

better view, and mirrored

\"The Wild Howlers\" is what I read.

JamesIha
      Spectator

"The Wild Howlers" is what I read.[/quote:65ye7ls1]
      Hm, that might be it.
      Anyone that know a band named that?

anyone that can get better pictures so one can see the smaller writings ? ;-)

If one plays around with different things in PSP or Photoshop I think The Wild Howlers getting more clear
      The only part I doubt is Howlers……..

I’m not sure about \"Howlers\" either. Looks more like \"Howers\", but that’s not really a word.

Do you have the original picture of that label?

JamesIha
      Spectator

think I found the group :-)
      I’ll mail you the picture
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SV22Ua3zwN4

\"The Wild Flowers\" maybe?

They exist(ed?): http://www.last.fm/music/The+Wild+Flowers

JamesIha
      Spectator

And here the flaws.
      I think it looks like something from the pressing. Seems odd damage to a vinyl.
      One of the pressings got a very bad cut of the outer. You would think a 12\" to be round. There is a part of 3-5 cm that is flat.

disc 1, the flaw on \"plume\"

JamesIha
      Spectator

And back to the Wild Flowers.
      On discogs there is three possible labels
      http://www.discogs.com/artist/Wild+Flowers,+The
      unfortunately no one has uploaded any pictures

But this font seems to be the same.
      http://images.esellerpro.com/2080/I/403 … 300256.jpg
      http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/The-Wild-Flowers- … 240%3A1318

manillascissor
      Keymaster

Now that you mention it! I noticed mirrored text, hardly readable, on two of the labels. I wondered what that was. It all makes sense now.

So the "pink" white label promo labels are probably red labels, used upside down, right? What do you think?[/quote:363043j8]

I think we may be onto something here. :shock: 8)

JamesIha
      Spectator

is it just my \" I am one\" WLPs that got this crappy pressings?
      The vinyl it self is not as thisck as the others. The pressing got flaws, the edges are crappy.

just mine? Both mine, and both with one yellow one red side.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

The Cherub Rock test press vinyl:

Never came! lol. Oh well, the seller has vanished but PayPal is now evaluating the claim.

If you are here seller, it’s in your best interest to reply. Otherwise, you just forked the money right back to me. Which is in my best interest.

JamesIha
      Spectator

Manillascissors
      I also bought a record from the same seller and didn’t recieve it.
      Thought it was strange since I bought from this guy before and he was very good then.
      I thought maybe that he had became sick or something.
      Finally I made a case with paypal but just about a week after I recieve a message from the seller.
      His wife died about the same time as the auctions ended. So he really had a good reason for not spending his time on ebay or looking through mails.
      Feel very sorry for the man……..
      The world can change so quick.
      However he said that he would send the record to me now and I believe him
      Probably he will be contacting you too.

some pumpkins
      Spectator

Manillascissors
      I also bought a record from the same seller and didn’t recieve it.
      Thought it was strange since I bought from this guy before and he was very good then.
      I thought maybe that he had became sick or something.
      Finally I made a case with paypal but just about a week after I recieve a message from the seller.
      His wife died about the same time as the auctions ended. So he really had a good reason for not spending his time on ebay or looking through mails.
      Feel very sorry for the man……..
      The world can change so quick.
      However he said that he would send the record to me now and I believe him
      Probably he will be contacting you too.[/quote:2lu7aads]

i had a siva vinyl never show up and the seller gave me the same reason last week. his partner died. he says hes gonna send i right out and give a refund. is this the same seller?
      [url:2lu7aads]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=120350313712[/url:2lu7aads]

JamesIha
      Spectator

yes, thats the same seller.
      He’s been very good before so I think it’s true.
      Would be a really sick thing to lie about…..

some pumpkins
      Spectator

sad story

manillascissor
      Keymaster

I doubt I’ll receive anything, as I’ve already got a refund and left negative feedback. I don’t feel bad doing it, because I had no idea about his situation.

If it’s true, I do feel bad for him. Life can change so fast. :(

Arthur
      Spectator

By email I have another discussion going on about WLP’s: do they come in black sleeves, or blue sleeves, or both? I think it’s better to have everyone involved in this discussion… So, can somebody either confirm OR correct the current WLP entries on SPfreaks.com, if they have the right sleeves, and is the rest of the info also appropriate?

Next to that, my question would be: the blue sleeves are more rare, right? Do you vinyl collectors consider that to be influencing the collectors’ price you want to pay for it? Some of you are buying several copies of the same WLP, so I guess you must have an opinion on that one…

Another question, what is the FULL list of WLP releases? I come to 8 or 9, if you think of it (considering it are UK 10\"/12\" singles/albums + 12\" Peel Sessions EP):

-Peel Sessions http://www.spfreaks.com/default.aspx?pa … &item=1542
      -I Am One 12\" http://www.spfreaks.com/default.aspx?pa … &item=1399
      -I Am One 10\" http://www.spfreaks.com/default.aspx?pa … &item=2593
      -Siamese Dream 2LP http://www.spfreaks.com/default.aspx?pa … &item=1548
      -Cherub Rock http://www.spfreaks.com/default.aspx?pa … &item=1538
      -Today http://www.spfreaks.com/default.aspx?pa … &item=1397
      -Disarm http://www.spfreaks.com/default.aspx?pa … &item=1539 (missing pics! who scans?)
      -Zero http://www.spfreaks.com/default.aspx?pa … &item=1095 (not really a WHITE label…)
      -Stand Inside Your Love http://www.spfreaks.com/default.aspx?pa … &item=1876 (missing pics! who scans?)

Next to that, my question would be: the blue sleeves are more rare, right? Do you vinyl collectors consider that to be influencing the collectors’ price you want to pay for it? Some of you are buying several copies of the same WLP, so I guess you must have an opinion on that one…[/quote:31biv091]
      For me it doesn’t have an influence on the price.

As far as I know, the Today and Disarm WLP come in blue sleeves, and the earlier ones come in black sleeves.
      But in case some of the earlier ones also come in blue sleeves, then I wouldn’t pay more for one in a blue sleeve. It’s too easy to put any 12" in a blue sleeve from a Today or Disarm WLP.

Anyway, if someone owns a WLP of Peel Sessions, I Am One or Cherub Rock that comes in a blue sleeve, please let us know! Same goes for Today or Disarm WLPs that come in a black sleeve.
      Thanks.

Viewing 42 reply threads

The forum ‘Collecting Items’ is closed to new topics and replies.