Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author

mirrorboxer
      Spectator

But now in cooperation with EMI? Hmmm… Found in a recent (May 25th) interview on Beatweek.

\"Are you trying to change the way music is distributed in general, or is this just a personal choice?

I have given up on the old music business. If anyone else wants to work within that system I can understand why. I am not fighting any causes for this kind of thing because history shows me that no one really cares too much about the business side. Fans just want exciting music and I agree with them that that is the most important thing. That said, I am in talks with the Pumpkins old label EMI to release a lot of unreleased materials and I really sense that they are ready to work with me to create a new way to put fans and my music together that takes care of everybody. So I am encouraged by that.\"

I’m a rather patient Smashing Pumpkins fan in general, but now I’m like: first see, then believe… I’m, as usual, looking forward to it anyway, of course. :)

Sauli
      Spectator

yes.. EMI will surely handle this task… :(
      Probably make remasters from old albums and add couple of unreleased songs here and there…

Arthur
      Spectator

yes.. EMI will surely handle this task… :(
      Probably make remasters from old albums and add couple of unreleased songs here and there…[/quote:vasjrzvc]
      Ahem… "I have given up on the old music business."

So yeah, another quote Billy wouldn’t want to remember anymore, when that happens… Let’s pray for a double album Pisces Iscariot II, or something like that.

yeah, i’m thinking the same: i’ll believe it when i see it.

also, i think we might be a bit too diehard to be fully satisfied with what comes out of this, if it ever does. i think we already got a lot of great stuff for free (all the demos and live stuff), and it’s not unlikely they’re going to use a lot of things that are already out there when they start releasing stuff from the vault. which i’d completely understand. just saying that we shouldn’t be too disappointed when this actually starts, and there isn’t much in it for us.
      of course it’s easy for us to say what we’d like and what we’re less interested in, but i think that’s not a fair way of looking at it.

i’m still hoping that this archive project kicks off one day. and hopefully they’ll think it through. i had the idea it was a bit of a mission impossible when frank quinto was discussing it on the sp.com board. a lot of expectations from all sides, combined with some hard restrictions (archive project has to fund itself, and ideally make some money too): not an easy task.

obviously, this archive project will never get as much interest as a new pumpkins album, so the budget is small. they could indeed go the easy way and get a rerelease of all the albums with an extra disc of b-sides and unreleased material. that’s the way to cash in for everyone, especially for emi, i assume. but it’s not the best way for the fans. well, not for the people who are most interested in this. i hope they find a better way. and i don’t mean the collectors’ way, with limited edition box sets and vinyls and whatnot. you have to be realistic, that can’t work. it’s a lot of effort and very expensive, and i just can’t believe there would be enough interest in expensive collectables. i hope they choose for quantity, because for me, it’s about the music. get \"new\" music out there.

i don’t see why it’s that hard, but apparently it is.
      ideally, they should go in the direction of bob dylan’s bootleg series. not necessarily exactly the same way, with 8 physical cd releases in 18 years, but i like the idea of compiling releases of unreleased songs, or live shows, and releasing them separately. maybe they can release stuff online-only if that’s more interesting. i think online releases are less effort and cheaper. (this all depends on the market and on how frequently they release something though.)
      this \"bootleg series\" way, they’re not limited by the rather illogical restriction of releasing everything in the vault chronologically, which might kill the project before it even got started properly. i never understood that line of thought.
      and even though i said that i prefer quantity over fancy releases, i think i’d be happy with the bob dylan way, with only 8 releases in 18 years. if they can pull that off, just work slowly on each release, but make it worthwile, i’d consider it a success. even if that means a release every two years or so, like they did the greatest hits + judas o and the earphoria rerelease.

but yeah, we’ll see. i’m curious about what will happen.

Thom
      Spectator

I wonder who’ll be looking after it now Quinto’s gone

mr.benway
      Spectator

I wonder who’ll be looking after it now Quinto’s gone[/quote:10r1l2aa]
      Huh? When/where did you find/get this information?

Sauli
      Spectator

i never understood that line of thought.
      and even though i said that i prefer quantity over fancy releases, i think i’d be happy with the bob dylan way, with only 8 releases in 18 years. if they can pull that off, just work slowly on each release, but make it worthwile, i’d consider it a success. even if that means a release every two years or so, like they did the greatest hits + judas o and the earphoria rerelease.
      .[/quote:39xnqbs6]

I like those Dylan bootleg-series, and have all of them expect vol 8 & Rolling Thunder Revue. But those Dylan sets doesn’t contain "new" material, those have all been heavily bootlegged (expect vol. 8), sound quality doesn’t get much better in these official releases. Also for example cutting those great Carnegie Hall & Town Hall concerts from 1963 isn’treally the best way.

I hope that tsp could release something totally "new" material

Thom
      Spectator

He’s working as a park ranger now.

No joke.

blueczarina
      Spectator

quite a change and not quite as cool as sifting through pumpkin stuff

Danni
      Spectator

i never understood that line of thought.
      .[/quote:24nstzqn]

I like those Dylan bootleg-series, and have all of them expect vol 8 & Rolling Thunder Revue. But those Dylan sets doesn’t contain "new" material, those have all been heavily bootlegged (expect vol. 8), sound quality doesn’t get much better in these official releases. Also for example cutting those great Carnegie Hall & Town Hall concerts from 1963 isn’treally the best way.

I hope that tsp could release something totally "new" material[/quote:24nstzqn]

Rolling Thunder Revue is the best in my opinion.

I think it’s more likely that Supernova will collide with the Earth than a project like the archive-thing will happen in the SP world.

who is supernova?

Danni
      Spectator

who is supernova?[/quote:u1xy9fv8]

No, no. What is Supernova.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supernova

no, no. that is \"what is a supernova?\".

who is supernova?

Arthur
      Spectator

Supernova?

Danni
      Spectator

no, no. that is "what is a supernova?".

who is supernova?[/quote:xr8773cm]

Baaaaah.

first SISY, now this. tsss… you should be more careful in the future, or things will go bad. really bad!

Danni
      Spectator

Yeah. You’re one hall of a character, CAIC. Badabadumb badumb!!

blueczarina
      Spectator

i love that book cover :lol:

marigold
      Spectator

But now in cooperation with EMI? Hmmm… Found in a recent (May 25th) interview on Beatweek.

"Are you trying to change the way music is distributed in general, or is this just a personal choice?

I have given up on the old music business. If anyone else wants to work within that system I can understand why. I am not fighting any causes for this kind of thing because history shows me that no one really cares too much about the business side. Fans just want exciting music and I agree with them that that is the most important thing. That said, I am in talks with the Pumpkins old label EMI to release a lot of unreleased materials and I really sense that they are ready to work with me to create a new way to put fans and my music together that takes care of everybody. So I am encouraged by that."

I’m a rather patient Smashing Pumpkins fan in general, but now I’m like: first see, then believe… I’m, as usual, looking forward to it anyway, of course. :)[/quote:vwgqpm2s]

Billy posted on Twitter yesterday:

"Small SP archive project update: had meetings today about progress on transfer of pre-Gish live tapes + also completion of Chicago Kid album"

mirrorboxer
      Spectator

Billy posted on Twitter yesterday:

"Small SP archive project update: had meetings today about progress on transfer of pre-Gish live tapes + also completion of Chicago Kid album"[/quote:2bny1sbu]

I don’t know why, but I always assumed that the archive project included pre-Gish studio material. I’d be glad for live recordings, but I was really looking forward to studio. idk, we have the demos already, but a bit of a let down you know.

Viewing 19 reply threads

The forum ‘Collecting Items’ is closed to new topics and replies.