Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

jupiter
      Keymaster

Entropy:

1) (in cosmology) a hypothetical tendency for the universe to attain a state of maximum homogeneity in which all matter is at a uniform temperature (heat death)

2) a doctrine of inevitable social decline and degeneration

Evolution:

1) (biology) change in the gene pool of a population from generation to generation by such processes as mutation, natural selection, and genetic drift

2) a process of gradual, peaceful, progressive change or development, as in social or economic structure or institutions

-Dictionary.com

————————————————————————————————————

i have done limited research on these two theories or doctrines, but i am familiar with both. went to college, studied entropy (planetary geology, geology in general) and evolution (invertebrate paleontology, vertebrate paleontology, biology). these concepts can get very, very detailed and somewhat confusing. i have presented what i think are the two main principles of each (above) in a very general and simple context purposefully.

here, then, is what i find interesting. if entropy predicts that a system will keep \"degrading\" over time, in one direction, aligned with time, we can postulate that given enough time, the universe will 1) gain a homogeneic temperature and 2) die

however, on the flipside, we have produced this theory of evolution which claims that in this same dynamic, living organisms are continuing to evolve. this, to me, is the antithesis of entropy. the idea is, nature is constantly battling against entropy, in order to survive. makes sense.

but, can these two theories exist at once? can you have one theory that says everything is constantly breaking down (over time), and another that says everything is evolving [getting better suited to survive its environment] (over time), at the same time? is there not a disconnect somewhere?

please, no know it alls. just asking a \"simple\" question. :)

marigold
      Spectator

geek!

please, no know it alls. just asking a "simple" question. :)[/quote:3e3dz66u]

how about this?

http://12160.info/profiles/blogs/the-en … e-evidence

:P

i think both theories can exist at the same time.

if you look at them as \"everything improves\" and \"everything gets worse\", then yeah, they contradict each other. but that’s not really what they’re saying. that’s too simple.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

i think both theories can exist at the same time.

if you look at them as "everything improves" and "everything gets worse", then yeah, they contradict each other. but that’s not really what they’re saying. that’s too simple.[/quote:2y9v1qfa]

i agree. i just think it is interesting. the whole definition of one thing (entropy), as animals within that universe, seems to completely contradict the theory of evolution.

strange to me. they are two universal accepted truths (theories), but they seem to contradict each other.

jupiter
      Spectator

funny, other things in nature contradict themselves too!

manillascissor
      Keymaster

funny, other things in nature contradict themselves too![/quote:3dx5xsnn]

true, but entropy and evolution don’t really exist in nature. they are concepts and theories that we have created to describe nature. in that sense, they are almost inherently flawed, because they are man-made.

marigold
      Spectator

I always thought of evolution as applying to a long process, eg. the human race evolving from cave men to intelligence (except for some people), or a plant evolving as it adapts to climate, habitat etc.
      And isn’t entropy something that happens more locally, to one system or process over a short time?

That sounds pretty simplified but I didn’t want to go anywhere near this sort of thing:

Arthur
      Spectator

That sounds pretty simplified but I didn’t want to go anywhere near this sort of thing[/quote:1myhi3i7]
      I just love your approach! :lol:

Arthur
      Spectator

And in general, it needs destruction to create. It needs suffering to know what is happiness. It needs stupidity to recognize wisdom. It needs fear to be fearless.

marigold
      Spectator

jupiter
      Spectator

….we need bad music to know good music!

Viewing 10 reply threads

The forum ‘Philosophical Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.