Viewing 48 reply threads
  • Author

Voidhanger
      Spectator

http://www.whatrecords.co.uk/items/56651.htm

expected release date November 11, 2010 (no word on what songs will be on this)

Smashing Pumpkins The Solstice Bare Limited Edition Box (12 Inch CDEP ++)
      Overview
      Of all the major alternative rock bands of the early ’90s, SMASHING PUMPKINS were the group least influenced by traditional under ground rock.

Lead guitarist/songwriter Billy Corgan fashioned an amalgam of progressive rock, heavy metal, goth rock, psychedelia, and dream pop, creating a layered, powerful sound driven by swirling, distorted guitars. SMASHING PUMPKINS became the model for alternative rock success.

THE SOLSTICE BARE is the second chapter in the Smashing Pumpkins long-awaited 44-song concept album (After the release of TEARGARDEN BY KALEIDYSCOPE VOL. 1 – RSV006 in May 2010). Once again this deluxe release is housed in a limited edition box (12.25\" square x 1/2\" deep) this time featuring a 1970’s design by The Flavor Paper Co. Set includes a 12\" Vinyl Picture EP & a deluxe CD in mock gatefold sleeve all with beautifully screen printed artwork by NOEL WAGGENER of SubCulture Press.

The second Chapter in The Smashing Pumpkins long-awaited 44-song concept album
      • features 5 new tracks! including new single \"Freak\"
      • Limited to 10,000 worldwide, only 500 for the UK!!!
      • Housed in a limited edition silk screened wooden box (12.25\" square x 1/2\" deep). Set includes a 12\" Picture EP & a deluxe CD in mock
      gatefold sleeve (all artwork shown on Page 2 below)
      • All packaging beautifully screen printed artwork by NOEL WAGGENER (SubCulture press)[/quote:xr713r94]

Anonymous
      Spectator

amnesia
      Spectator

No song info?? What the fuck. :(

amnesia
      Spectator

mirrorboxer
      Spectator

No song info?? What the fuck. :([/quote:sdy56vko]

Don’t worry….One of the tracks will be Freak :wink: and it’s a good one!

Anonymous
      Spectator

Looks more ‘Pumpkiney’ than the first one, somehow. I still have to grab EP1 sometime. :)

Freak’s definitely my favourite new track so far though, hopefully all the 44 songs are released in the long-term. :idea:

jawn till dusk
      Spectator

I was kinda hoping all the eps would be the same size so they fitted nicely together on my shelf.

This new 12\" fucks it up a bit. :? :lol:

Anonymous
      Spectator

I’m curious about the artwork. It is definitely different from EP 1 and doesn’t appear to be the same artist. A different artist is being used for the actual boxes, but did he create the new art for EP 2 as well?
      And I agree Dazey this art is much more Pumpkins style!

Voidhanger
      Spectator

I love the artwork on those ads.

Preorder available on Amazon!

Anonymous
      Spectator

apparently there will be an instrumental b-side on this EP called \"Cottonwood\"

apparently there will be an instrumental b-side on this EP called "Cottonwood"[/quote:33sbmcjf]
      cottonwood symphony is what i’ve heard.

I still don’t have a turntable. I haven’t even heard the Teargarden Theme yet :oops:

I need to find a cheap turntable soon!

Arthur
      Spectator

LOL! :lol: I completely missed this one! The Fellowship is available for a listen since a few weeks already.

http://stereogum.com/535491/the-smashin … ship/mp3s/

I like this catchy song… It’s… different! And funny that it is used in a vampire thingy.

amnesia
      Spectator

Its okay Arthur, still think Freak and Spangled is better :)

Anonymous
      Spectator

apparently there will be an instrumental b-side on this EP called "Cottonwood"[/quote:1ikj5ahz]
      cottonwood symphony is what i’ve heard.[/quote:1ikj5ahz]
      correct my bad..TY CAIC for correcting that ;)

Anonymous
      Spectator

LOL! :lol: I completely missed this one! The Fellowship is available for a listen since a few weeks already.

I like this catchy song… It’s… different! And funny that it is used in a vampire thingy.[/quote:1mldivje]
      :shock: how do you miss a song tsk tsk

mirrorboxer
      Spectator

I need to find a cheap turntable soon![/quote:rg4f08qu]

I can help you out. I just upgraded my turntable and have a newish turntable sitting here in need of a new home. If you’re seriously interested in getting a turntable, PM me and we can work something out.

blueczarina
      Spectator

I like this catchy song… It’s… different! And funny that it is used in a vampire thingy.[/quote:3vkg6ykv]

i love that song. its a good one. and its available for download at least in the US. i have the mp3 from Amazon. i could PM it if anyone wants it. i don’t know if its on download sites in Europe since its on a soundtrack for a retarded show in the US. but anyway- let me know. :)

amnesia
      Spectator

I pre orderet my copy from Amazon.com..I wonder why its so fucking expensive in Uk and DE?

marigold
      Spectator

I haven’t ordered mine yet. Need to buy something else as well to justify the ridiculous postage costs. Just not sure what else to get right now. :roll:

Looks like there’s no extra obelisk or whatever with this one. Or maybe it’s a surprise! :P

Daysofthephoenix
      Spectator

oh, I hope it’s another obelisk, then by the time all of these ep’s are released I can have a whole collection of them sitting on my desk at home. :)

Also, I think the Fellowship was the best song so far on this ep.

Voidhanger
      Spectator

Daysofthephoenix
      Spectator

No Obelisk.. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

i saw the second ep in a record store last saturday. i thought it was only supposed to be released tomorrow?

anyway, they were asking €26.50, so i didn’t buy it.

Arthur
      Spectator

This is from eBay, published a few days ago. Looks like we can expect at least 2 types of vinyl? Or is it front and back side? :roll:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayzNN-pkR9M[/youtube]

Pic from Voidhanger:

[/quote:6142a4mx]

marigold
      Spectator

uh oh – 2 different vinyls!!!! :lol:

j/k, I think its the front and back of the vinyl

The constellation chart looks cool. What is on the CD sleeve? A caterpillar? I don’t understand all the artwork connections. Maybe it’s another machina mystery. :roll:
      I’ve ordered mine, but I think it’s gonna take about 2 weeks to get here. :?

mirrorboxer
      Spectator

I got mine last Friday (11/19) and I can say that everything is excellent. The vinyl sounds nicer than the lot of 7\"s that were available with the first ep (box set 7\"/vintage vinyl 7\"/ameoba 7\"). The overall quality of the package is nicer too. My only complaint is the inconsistancy of the project so far. And I’m only talking about the physical nature of everything.
      1. We get a small wood box and then a large gift wrapped box.
      2. We get 7\" unlabeled 1 song vinyl without a sleeve and then a 12\" picture disc with all 5 songs and a nice sleeve.
      3. We get a cd sleeve that is a single slip cardboard with band name/ep title/song titles + picture and then we get a gatefold cd sleeve with band name on the spine/NO ep title/song titles + picture.
      4. We get an oblisk and then NOTHING. I want the next installment of oblisk :roll:

…and cottonwood sounds exactly how I’d suspect. It sounds real…..rootsy.

Arthur
      Spectator

… and then a 12" picture disc with all 5 songs and a nice sleeve.[/quote:3m06468k]
      Is the vinyl like the pics above?

Today I received a message from Amazon that they shipped my package. Total price including shipment: 21.47 bucks. That is less then 16 Euro, I think that is a real bargain. 8)

amnesia
      Spectator

My copy is also on its way now from amazon.com :D

Voidhanger
      Spectator

No shipping confirmation from Amazon yet. :evil:

jawn till dusk
      Spectator

I like the way ‘Freak’ is named ‘Freak U.S.A.’,on the cd. :wink:

mirrorboxer
      Spectator

… and then a 12" picture disc with all 5 songs and a nice sleeve.[/quote:j743f6ug]
      [/quote:j743f6ug]

yes it’s just like it. dual unicorns pulling a chariot and a cherub in the sky on the aside. The bside has the astronomy chart.

marigold
      Spectator

this is a live version of Cottonwood Symphony, I wonder how different it is now?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG5mqAN00c4[/youtube]

Voidhanger
      Spectator

… and then a 12" picture disc with all 5 songs and a nice sleeve.[/quote:1i1acq28]
      [/quote:1i1acq28]

yes it’s just like it. dual unicorns pulling a chariot and a cherub in the sky on the aside. The bside has the astronomy chart.[/quote:1i1acq28]

That’s not a cherub, that’s a putto… but the artwork is great.

For some reason Amazon.ca decided it’d ship this item in mid-December. So I cancelled my order with them and ordered it from Amazon.com and they had it shipped before the end of the day… :roll:

mirrorboxer
      Spectator

[/quote:20xw2mmk]

[url:20xw2mmk]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherub[/url:20xw2mmk]

"In modern English the word is usually used for what are strictly putti, baby or toddler angels in art."

[url:20xw2mmk]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Putti[/url:20xw2mmk]

"modern English usage has blurred the distinction, except that in the plural, "the Cherubim" refers to the literal biblical angels, while "cherubs" is used more often to refer to the childlike representations (putti) or in figurative senses."

Do we really need to get into semantics… :roll:

Arthur
      Spectator

Do we really need to get into semantics… :roll:[/quote:35obwan6]
      Something pulling something and something else in the sky. :lol:

Sven
      Spectator

got my copy tonight and love it…
      it just looks and sounds great! they did a great job here and the songs are shaping up to a return to form in a nice way…
      happy times, finally a TSP release I really like again…! :)

Danni
      Spectator

Ordered. I agree this time, that the songs are more than decent.

Corgan just wrote this on that Facebook thing:

\"I hope everyone is having a great day today. i’ve got a few more days off
      before we head to Texas to start this last little bit of touring, and
      then off for the holidays (yay!). we’ve got big plans in the works for
      next year, including new Teargarden plans (different than 2010/change of
      … direction/plans/a positive change.\"

Wonder what that different plan might be, huh? Maybe 444 songs instead of 44?

manillascissor
      Keymaster

Wonder what that different plan might be, huh? Maybe 444 songs instead of 44?[/quote:29ry703f]

:lol:

man i really feel in the minority here. this second EP isn’t as good as the first one to me. i’m just not excited to hear these songs like i used to be.

as for that teargarden/gold obelisk thing, i have no desire to acquire this rarity. i heard the alt theme and it’s barely listenable. and top it off with cottonwood symphony (the turd) for the latest release.

count me out man. don’t get me wrong, i like teargarden so far, but i don’t see EP2 as any sort of promising return to form.

the way the songs are being released is fine by me if that is what the band wants to do. but when the tracks finally hit the internet, i’m in no hurry to listen to it. it’s like, i’ve waited 6 weeks to hear this, why not go for 6 months? i’ve bitched about this before (elsewhere) so i won’t continue. it’s just a fact for me: i can’t stand the release format. it completely destroys any semblance of giving a fuck for me.

i am also somewhat nostalgic for the past. anything before zeitgeist was pretty solid and awesome to hear. these new songs seems somewhat disposable, i don’t know why.

Anonymous
      Spectator

I’ll happily order TSB in January, the songs feel better to me than the first EP and I’m -trying- to keep up with the mainstream releases.

As for the plans, who cares any more? Try keeping something on-track for a change and release a ‘proper’ album, maybe. I’m tired of running behind a Train that’s derailed… :)

Good ‘ol SP magic though, I just know I’d buy the commercial releases at some point. Reminds me of Spam, great in sandwiches, so I trust what’s in the tin. :P

When all else fails though, if all seems lost; I spin up Gish and the world’s ‘perfect’ once again. :twisted:

manillascissor
      Keymaster

When all else fails though, if all seems lost; I spin up Gish and the world’s ‘perfect’ once again. :twisted:[/quote:3d3w4h7b]

yeah precisely. i feel the same with siamese dream. that album never gets old.

marigold
      Spectator

When all else fails though, if all seems lost; I spin up Gish and the world’s ‘perfect’ once again. :twisted:[/quote:11xo3wnp]

This morning I was listening to a live CD from 1993 –

http://www.splra.org/wiki/index.php?title=Tsp1993-06-29

Iha: It’s of course always nice to be back in France. Whenever… whenever we break a string it gives us a small time to talk about ourselves. How much fish
      Corgan: Does anyone know how to change a guitar string? It’s very embarassing. So speaking of fish, this is off our debut album ‘Fish'[/quote:11xo3wnp]

:lol:

yeah um Teargarden…. my EP should be arriving in the post today – finally! I like it better than the first EP – and from the sounds of it, the vinyl is better quality too.

Arthur
      Spectator

Today I received my package from Amazon (do they really make a profit for that price I paid? boy! :roll: ) and I think it’s awesome. A very proper release. A big fat colorful vinyl that is stunning and worthwhile framing. And worthwhile playing too, if I read the reviews online. But I won’t do that, for collecting purposes. :wink:

Hahaha, Amazon raised the price with 5 and a half dollar compared to the pre-sales price! :lol:

Sven
      Spectator

@manillascissor

excitement apart; per se…
      the songs do top the first EPs tracks, right?

as for me…
      I checked out the MP3s and didn’t get the first EP-box.
      I checked out the MP3s and did get the second EP-box.

yes, there was a level of true expectation and desire in this release for me.
      (well: CWSymph— still not the Teargarden Theme-crap to me!)

ever listened to BC and his thoughts on this project???

starting out in his early youth…
      moving towards a decennium later, with EP2…
      moving on and on and on…

I don’t like the sound and tracks op EP1… ok…
      from now on: I’m excited…

nevermind EP1 > from now on… bring it on… :)

manillascissor
      Keymaster

@manillascissor

excitement apart; per se…
      the songs do top the first EPs tracks, right?

as for me…
      I checked out the MP3s and didn’t get the first EP-box.
      I checked out the MP3s and did get the second EP-box.

yes, there was a level of true expectation and desire in this release for me.
      (well: CWSymph— still not the Teargarden Theme-crap to me!)

ever listened to BC and his thoughts on this project???

starting out in his early youth…
      moving towards a decennium later, with EP2…
      moving on and on and on…

I don’t like the sound and tracks op EP1… ok…
      from now on: I’m excited…

nevermind EP1 > from now on… bring it on… :)[/quote:2fv4rc5n]

yeah i’m glad a majority of people are finding this second EP to be a success. but for me, it didn’t spark anything deep down, like most other smashing pumpkins songs do.

ep1 was better, imo. i liked those teargarden songs more than the second set.

the way the songs are being released is fine by me if that is what the band wants to do. but when the tracks finally hit the internet, i’m in no hurry to listen to it. it’s like, i’ve waited 6 weeks to hear this, why not go for 6 months? i’ve bitched about this before (elsewhere) so i won’t continue. it’s just a fact for me: i can’t stand the release format. it completely destroys any semblance of giving a fuck for me.[/quote:1iws1kq1]
      same! yesterday i listened to the songs of ep2 for the first time. i haven’t even bought the fucker yet.

and i’m also disappointed. everyone was saying how this ep was so much better than the previous one, but i’m not hearing it. bleh.

marigold
      Spectator

Billy’s new TbK release plan: (from his Facebook page)

we’ve got big plans in the works for next year, including new Teargarden plans (different than 2010/change of direction/plans/a positive change).[/quote:3b6hx268]

:?:

Voidhanger
      Spectator

[/quote:zps1lstc]

[url:zps1lstc]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherub[/url:zps1lstc]

"In modern English the word is usually used for what are strictly putti, baby or toddler angels in art."

[url:zps1lstc]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Putti[/url:zps1lstc]

"modern English usage has blurred the distinction, except that in the plural, "the Cherubim" refers to the literal biblical angels, while "cherubs" is used more often to refer to the childlike representations (putti) or in figurative senses."

Do we really need to get into semantics… :roll:[/quote:zps1lstc]

It’s simply a matter of correctness… just because people mostly use it wrong isn’t reason to keep doing so. Besides, some people think the cherubim had four wings and four faces, each one a different animal. Imagine the artwork with that instead of the wimpy kid with duck wings. Awesome.

I think right now I prefer the first EP, but I don’t know if that’s fair to say just yet because the first has had time to grow on me while The Solstice Bare is still a new entity to me.

Viewing 48 reply threads

The forum ‘General’ is closed to new topics and replies.