Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author

Arthur
      Keymaster

Anyone have a Mellon Collie CD that says \"Made in France\" on the actual CD? I think I’ve seen one before, but it’s not on the site.

Not the promo, a commercial release.

i have it. the cds say \"made in france\", but i think the inserts say \"printed in holland\".

this one is actually on the top of my to-scan-for-spfreaks list. it’s a funny coincidence that you make this thread right now.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

Awesome!

I was hoping someone would step forward that owned it. I’ve heard of it before, and I’m really interested in those scans. I’ve never seen one for sale, but then again, I think most people would fail to notice that the CD was different from what is printed on the insert.

Do you know any other FR printed CDs? Minus promos/singles? It’s weird to me that FR (Delabel) went nuts with promos, but Virgin/Hut never printed commercial album releases in FR.

No FR Gish, Siamese Dream, Pisces, Adore, Machina, or Zeitgeist. Just very odd to me. That’s one of the reasons I’m so intrigued by the FR MCIS CDs. When you bought it, did you just think it was the NL version?

i can’t remember when i bought it, but i imagine i had no idea that they said \"france\" at that time and that i didn’t find out until later.

Sven
      Spectator

nonono
      it’s like this
      the disc was made in france
      that what is says on my copy too, bought on the day of release
      manufactured there, ok, that’s cool
      delabel is a french subsidiary of hut in a way – dunno how exactly, but in a way
      so delabel does the promotion for hut in france
      now for a major release like mcis you’ll have to have multiple pressing plants to get the discs out there
      so the european one was pressed/made in france
      printed in holland (wasn’t it?)
      and assembled god knows where
      just try to check where ‘in rainbows’ was made for example – multiple pressing plants all over the world, a factory/publishing company for the booklets and hardback book, a pressing plant for the vinyl or better: several for these numbers so…
      it was convenient to make this thing in france
      and so it says
      and delabel does the french promo
      but doesn’t release
      because it doesn’t hold release rights to the recordings
      those are with Virgin and/or HUT
      so well yeah – have the shit manufactured where you wanna – it’s still a release under Virgin and/or HUT
      as delable doesn’t as far as i know hold any commercial release rigths to any of the Pumpkins catalogue
      there will never be a commercial delabel release as such
      those commercial rights are held by Virgin and/or HUT
      and for promotional reasons i can see and understand a ‘license’ (not technically) to delabel
      to promote the material in an orderly and local and eloquent fashion
      but that doesn’t give delabel the right to release anything under their label
      under these contracts at least

so yeah – delabel promo’s sure and awesome most of the time
      commercial delabel releases, nope; these are controlled and held by Virgin and/or HUT

heh, well said.
      indeed, the french mellon collie doesn’t mention \"delabel\" at all.

most mellon collies were made in italy, holland and the uk, though.
      i haven’t come across many french copies.

i even own a copy that was sealed and had a french sticker on it, but when i opened it, the cd said \"made in holland\". so even in france, at some time, they sold copies that were made elsewhere.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

heh, well said.
      indeed, the french mellon collie doesn’t mention "delabel" at all.

most mellon collies were made in italy, holland and the uk, though.
      i haven’t come across many french copies.

i even own a copy that was sealed and had a french sticker on it, but when i opened it, the cd said "made in holland". so even in france, at some time, they sold copies that were made elsewhere.[/quote:18q521qn]

Yeah, see, that’s my point. It’s so freaking confusing.

Thanks for your post Sven. I understand what you are saying about Delabel not issuing commercial releases, but if you reread my post, that’s not what confuses me. What confuses me is why Virgin/Hut does not print in FR. Maybe FR has some sort of high cost associated with printing CDs. I guess MCIS was so successful, they printed some in FR regardless of the cost. But again, if printing discs in FR, why not call that out on the back insert? They did this for a few of the FR singles that were printed in FR (interestingly enough, from the MCIS album). Do you see what I’m saying? It’s inconsistent.

Regarding your question why they didn’t print in France more regularly: maybe they simply don’t need to? I can imagine printing in one country can be enough to cover all of Europe.
      Or they just happen to have good deals with (or be the owner of?) pressing plants in other countries?
      And you could also wonder why they stopped printing cds in Germany, after the very first release of Gish (CARCD16).

For me it’s not a very interesting question. It’s just the way it is.
      I noticed a lot of the Warner stuff is printed in Germany. As for Virgin/Hut, it usually says UK, Holland or Italy. Or, in the later days, simply EU (which isn’t very informative, heh).

On a related note, check this one out: a commercial single that says \"Delabel\". :)

manillascissor
      Keymaster

Yes, there we go. An example of a commercial release printed in FR. One that actually acknowledges it on the reverse sleeve.

I have a FR tonight, tonight single, but the only distinguishing factor is a sticker that says \"Made in France\". I don’t know, something’s up w/ FR.

here it is, finally: http://www.spfreaks.com/?page=COLLDETAILS&item=1966
      i had to make pictures of the cds, because the scans of the cds are hardly readable (if even).

manillascissor
      Keymaster

coolness.

Arthur
      Spectator

My copy has Made in Holland on both the CDs. I’m sure Sven’s story is correct, about the assembly.

did i look over it, or is spfreaks.com really missing the uk release of mcis on cd?

Arthur
      Spectator

did i look over it, or is spfreaks.com really missing the uk release of mcis on cd?[/quote:1wpcvxiu]
      We don’t have it no.

Viewing 13 reply threads

The forum ‘Collecting Items’ is closed to new topics and replies.