Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author

jupiter
      Spectator

I was reading about genocide in my geography book today. It isn’t the subject of genocide that really got me thinking though but the afterthought of it.

Genocide is a terrible thing that can happen in any country which it has happened to.
      I guess my first question is why are most genocides overlooked by most people?

I mean people only look at the people who died as a mere statistic and nothing more.
      The only one that still gets any attention today in our schools is the Holocaust and even that isn’t really taught to anyone. The only reason that still gets attention is because of Anne Frank and her diary.

It seems to me that the only time people care about these kinds of things is when a thing they love is getting threatened. I guess it might just be human nature.

Anyone have any other thoughts to add on this?
      (This might be a bit incoherent but I am pretty tired writing this, if that is a legitimate excuse.) :)

The only one that still gets any attention today in our schools is the Holocaust and even that isn’t really taught to anyone. The only reason that still gets attention is because of Anne Frank and her diary.[/quote:1a1vcirc]
      how is anne frank’s diary a reason to teach about the holocaust?
      surely they have other reasons, and the diary is only one of the means to teach about it. no?

Sven
      Spectator

The only one that still gets any attention today in our schools is the Holocaust and even that isn’t really taught to anyone. The only reason that still gets attention is because of Anne Frank and her diary.[/quote:2o3yqol8]
      how is anne frank’s diary a reason to teach about the holocaust?
      surely they have other reasons, and the diary is only one of the means to teach about it. no?[/quote:2o3yqol8]

Agreed.

Same goes for:
      Primo Levi
      and, Eli Weisel by the way (with a major link to MCIS nonetheless)

marigold
      Spectator

It seems to me that the only time people care about these kinds of things is when a thing they love is getting threatened. I guess it might just be human nature.

Anyone have any other thoughts to add on this?
      (This might be a bit incoherent but I am pretty tired writing this, if that is a legitimate excuse.) :)[/quote:32rl6ilj]

Yep, in general, people only care about what can affect them in their immediate surroundings. If it is happening in another country, it is too distant for them to think about. Even if you do care about them, and want to help somehow, it seems almost an impossible task. You can donate or whatever, at least.

If it was a relative of theirs, or their safety was being threatened, then they’ll start caring.

jupiter
      Spectator

we’re ALL relatives :wink:

we’re not.

jupiter
      Spectator

you dont come from planet Earth?

marigold
      Spectator

i don’t think he’s from here :lol:

jupiter
      Spectator

dave’s not here man!!!!!!!!!
      8)

we’re not all relatives.
      it is beyond me why anyone would think we are.

marigold
      Spectator

Humans are all genetic relatives, I think that’s what Jupiter means.

jupiter
      Spectator

yep

Viewing 11 reply threads

The forum ‘Philosophical Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.