Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

chauncey
      Spectator

I do not have the equipment, so I recently paid a studio to digitize my Tristessa 12″.  I received three 96/24 wave files and they sound amazing!  Has anyone else done this with their SP vinyl? We should create a hi-res SP vinyl archive!

manillascissor
      Keymaster

i’m down with that!!!!

how did you go about it, exactly?

chauncey
        Spectator

I found someone on an audiophile site that does it for a living.  I mailed him my records and he sent me the files via Dropbox.  It was not cheap, but it sounds great, especially after some minor EQ’ing.

manillascissor
          Keymaster

i hope he sent your vinyl back too!  i had a friend professionally rip some french SECAM videos for me awhile back.  i thought they’d be of higher quality than what was already available, but it was pretty close to the original.

i have a lot of early cassettes too, but nothing that hasn’t been put out there by the band in a higher quality.  just cool to have i guess.

🙂

chauncey
            Spectator

Yes, the vinyl arrived back home safe and sound!  Next I am going to send my I Am One 7″, PI bonus 7″, Siamese Singles, and Starchildren 7″ off to be transferred.  I need Light Into Dark and the I Am One 10″.

manillascissor
              Keymaster

cool.  well, i still have no idea if sharing vinyl rips on our site is “legal”.  not sure how to find out either…

chauncey
              Spectator

Years ago a SP collector was kind enough to share rips of his massive vinyl collection on the DC++ Hub.  I am simply looking to upgrade!  I can understand if SPFreaks is not comfortable with making rips available.  

I’m fairly certain sharing vinyl rips is not legal. We don’t own the rights to spread this music, officially released or not. It doesn’t matter if the music can still be bought somewhere or not.
              Several organisations protect the rights of (their) artists, and could take action if they find a link to what they believe is copyright protected music of one of their clients.

But would we get in trouble for posting links here? Links to all kinds of SP related music have been posted here before, and I don’t think anything happened then.

The worst that could happen is that SPfreaks gets contacted with the question to remove the links. (More serious steps are normally only taken if the links aren’t removed, or if it keeps happening.)

The decision whether links to your vinyl rips can be posted here is not up to me. For now, I wouldn’t do it.
              (But feel free to share your rips with me in private. I’m definitely interested. ;))

manillascissor
              Keymaster

LOL 😀

manillascissor
      Keymaster

is it legal to do this?  perhaps not…

I had two tapes transferred: http://spfreaks.com/forums/topic/audio-cassette-transfers/
      – nme brat pack (spaceboy acoustic)
      – a press conference

I guess Tristessa 12″ is the main one to go for if you want to transfer a Pumpkins record. As far as I know, there is no digital source (cd, internet) for the original Tristessa recording.
      The other vinyl-only tracks from the old days (terrapin, siamese dream, purr snickety, …) have all since been released on cd or as part of that rarities and b-sides collection (now also available in lossless quality).

chauncey
        Spectator

I have the lossless versions of the vinyl only tracks.  I also have the Reel Time Sessions boot with Honeyspider and of course PI with La Dolly Vita.  This new rip of the Tristessa 12″ is now my go to source for both tracks.  

I do do not have anymore SP vinyl (parted ways with my collection years ago).  I picked up the 12″ because it’s my favorite version of Tristessa and I knew I would get it transferred someday.  The result was so good that I’m thinking about tracking down more vinyl.  I just picked up the Starchildren 7″ with Delusions of Candor.  I’ll get that transferred soon.  I’d like to get Light Into Dark, the I Am One 7″, 10″, Siamese Singles and the PI 7″.

Viewing 3 reply threads

The forum ‘Collecting & Trading’ is closed to new topics and replies.