Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author

toad32r
      Spectator

THE SMASHING PUMPKINS have announced the rescheduling of five shows after drummer JIMMY CHAMBERLIN was admitted to a hospital after experiencing some chest discomfort. Chamberlin was taken to an Atlanta hospital Tuesday (10/30) and was given an angiogram which revealed a partially blocked artery. He rested at the hospital overnight and was released Wednesday (10/31).

Says Chamberlin: \"The good news is that my heart checked out. No damage. Basically a small build up of plaque on one of my arteries. This combined with stress, fatigue and all of the other good things that go along with being on tour was the cause of my pain. So obviously we had to postpone the end of the tour while I recover. It should only be a week or so until JC is ready to rock again.\" See below for all of Jimmy’s thoughts that he expressed to fans at http://www.smashingpumpkins.com.

Cities affected include:
      Atlanta (10/30, 31)
      Austin (11/2)
      Dallas (11/3)
      Nashville (11/5)

All tickets will be honored for the rescheduled dates.

The revised itinerary is below. The rescheduled dates are marked with an asterisk (*).

DATE CITY VENUE
      Nov 7 Athens, GA Classic Center Theater
      Nov 8 Greensboro, NC War Memorial Stadium
      Nov 9 Columbia, SC Township Auditorium
      *Nov 11 Nashville, TN Ryman Theater
      *Nov 13 Austin, TX Backyard
      *Nov 15 Atlanta, GA Fox Theater
      *Nov 16 Atlanta, GA Fox Theater
      *Nov 18 Dallas, TX Nokia Theater

From Jimmy Chamberlin:
      \"Hello everybody. I just want to say ‘hank you’ to everyone who sent me energy and love while I was in the hospital. I’ve had a rough couple of days but thanks to my friends, family, God, and my angels. I have come through this ordeal as best as I could have expected. It all started Tuesday morning when I awoke with what seemed to be indigestion. I took some antacid and tried to go back to sleep. The pain was increasing and I started to get worried–heart disease runs in my family so it is something I take very seriously. I called [group tour manager] Doug and told him what was going on, and the next thing I knew I was off to the emergency room here in Atlanta. After an EKG showed that something indeed was going on, I was whisked out of the ER and into pre-op. As you can imagine, by this time I was a nervous wreck not knowing if I was going to live or die and the doctor talking about ‘open heart surgery,’ and heart stents. All very troubling words for a young man like me who sees himself at the peak of health. I do yoga, play drums, don’t drink, take drugs, or smoke. Many things were going through my head. Family, career, heaven………….hell. Mortality becomes a very stern face when you are looking it in the eye. The doctor told me that because of the inconclusiveness of the EKG, that he was going to do an angiogram. Basically what this is, is this: they make an incision in a large artery in the upper leg area and thread a tube up through your circulatory system towards your heart. They then inject dye into the bloodstream and watch its progress with an MRI. This all took place in about a 40-minute period. All in all a harrowing experience. The good news is that my heart checked out. No damage. Basically a small build up of plaque on one of my arteries. This combined with stress, fatigue and all of the other good things that go along with being on tour was the cause of my pain. So obviously we had to postpone the end of the tour while I recover. It should only be a week or so until JC is ready to rock again. Once again I thank all of you from the bottom of my Heart for your prayers, letters, and love.\"

Jimmy Chamberlin, 10/31/07

pfjew! happy and relieved!

toad32r
      Spectator

Good, i feel better now

Arthur
      Spectator

This is like a stone dropped from my heart. Take care Jimmy, stay rockin’ healthy from now on, please! :D

lilkitn
      Spectator

It’s so good to finally know for sure what’s going on… now we can rest at ease. Man, nothing slows this guy down… still ready to tour in a week! That’s nuts! Rock on Jimmy!

Kit’n

manillascissor
      Keymaster

So is there any corrective action for this other than rest? I mean, if the artery is clogged, shouldn’t they do something to remedy this? Is there anything they can do?

Ronbuca
      Spectator

good news!

mmm it is a relief :)

luxe
      Spectator

So is there any corrective action for this other than rest? I mean, if the artery is clogged, shouldn’t they do something to remedy this? Is there anything they can do?[/quote:1tc9woe8]

That was my thought, too. Plus he was a smoker for a long time. . I didn’t know he had stopped.

My mom had a similar problem and they had to do the same thing he had (angiogram -sp??) but then she had to have a procedure to clear it. all was done through an artery in the groin. I would think he’d be watched closely since it runs in his family. Maybe he’s just going to wait until the end of the tour and then see his normal doctor.

I’m just glad he took it seriously and didn’t wait for anything to get worse.

I’m super relieved — how scary to be in a place you don’t know when you get ill.

~luxe

Pipoka
      Spectator

I just got back home, and i’m so relieved.

I have assisted some angiography’s in my probation (?) as Radiology Technologist, and i can tell you that this procedure has a diagnosis part, (when we find out the problem/disease) and a therapeutic part, where the doctor can fix the problem (if it can be fixed by angiography and doesn’t need surgery). And the problem that is has refered to is a very common one.

luxe
      Spectator

I just got back home, and i’m so relieved.

I have assisted some angiography’s in my probation (?) as Radiology Technologist, and i can tell you that this procedure has a diagnosis part, (when we find out the problem/disease) and a therapeutic part, where the doctor can fix the problem (if it can be fixed by angiography and doesn’t need surgery). And the problem that is has refered to is a very common one.[/quote:uws3vdw6]

Thanks for explaining. I am very relieved to hear that.

~luxe

toad32r
      Spectator

Has anyone heard if Jimmy had anything done while off tour?!?! (procedures) I wasn’t sure if he needed to have anything done, or just some R&R.

Viewing 11 reply threads

The forum ‘General’ is closed to new topics and replies.