Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author

Alekflyfire
      Spectator

Today an email came in I couldn’t answer. I’m sure 1 of you can.

\"Hey,

Was in a record store this morning and saw a picture vinyl 12\" Machina/the Machines of God promo. Can’t find any info on it here and so was wondering if it was a fake. I didn’t have my camera with me but the guy said i could take a pic of it if i came back, but he didnt know anything about it.

This is the info that i copied off the vinyl:

Hut and Virgin
      LPHUT 89P
      THE SMASHING PUMPKINS MACHINA / the machines of God (therefore full title unlike past fakes that have surfaced)

tracks labelled:

\"OTHER SIDE\"
      -one- THE EVERLASTING GAZE
      -two- RAINDROPS + SUNSHOWERS
      -three- STAND INSIDE YOUR LOVE
      -four- I OF THE MORNING
      -five- THE SACRED AND PROFANE

\"THIS SIDE\"
      -six- HEAVY METAL MACHINE
      -seven- THIS TIME
      -eight- THE IMPLODING VOICE
      -nine- WOUND
      -ten – THE CRYING TREE OF MERCURY

The colouring is much deeper that the CD, red, browns and the track listing panel is much more yellowish. 13 plates are on the back with the exception of plates 14/15. The pic on the CD is the background image on side B.

Also odd spelling of:

SAMSHING PUMKINS in the copyright info line
      I of the Morning

Any ideas if it’s legit?

It’s a great site,
      Ally, Australia\"

manillascissor
      Keymaster

It’s a bootleg.

Definitely a bootleg.

I found some pictures on eBay:

Arthur
      Spectator

Thanks guys. Next to your very explicit \"quality\" mark on this obviously bootlegged vinyl release let me add my 2 cents. Why is the tracklist incomplete? That is so… un-Pumpkins. The bootleggers just skipped Try, Try, Try, went on with Heavy Metal Machine, then skipped Glass And The Ghost Children, and had no room for With Every Light, Blue Skies Bring Tears & Age Of Innocence. The Pumpkins would have made it a double vinyl release and add bonustracks instead of leaving tracks out. Now I see the pics I remember seeing that before also, and I must say: they put a lot of effort in it to make it look genuine.

Don’t be fooled however Ally, these guys above have tons of knowledge. I highly trust their opinions personally. Thanks for contacting us, come back any time.

I don’t know. The incomplete tracklist could make sense in the \"promo sampler\" kind of way. Like the Siamese Dream 5 track sampler promo cd.
      Bonus tracks on a promo vinyl?: hardly ever. Normally the promos are identical to the commercial release, tracklist-wise.
      There actually exists a promo vinyl version of Machina, and it’s just a white label (test?) pressing of the regular vinyl. (I don’t own it though.)

I think that the fact that this is a picture disc, instead of the typical white label promos they usually give out for albums and singles, makes this release more questionable, instead of more convincing.

Anyway, this is definitely a bootleg. I even think the other, non-picture-disc versions carry an EMI logo. Which doesn’t make sense for a European Smashing Pumpkins release in 2000. (Right?)

Arthur
      Spectator

You’re right about EMI, that was mostly done in Asia, releasing SP under the EMI label. But I wonder why this picture thingy discussed here should be called a promo anyway. When I look at your pics from eBay there is a barcode and releasenumber on the vinyl. I presume Ally found exactly the same in Australia.

That barcode doesn’t make much sense for a full promo release. When such a vinyl release was made as a commercial release however (and maybe stamped/stickered promo somewhere) then the Pumpkins wouldn’t allow leaving tracks off. Just my guts feeling, that adds to this thing being a bootleg. The standard double (!) vinyl of Machina was released with Speed Kills as a bonustrack, that’s what I mean.

And it’s nowhere to be found in the official discographies either, this picture vinyl disc. Nice try, but no.

But I wonder why this picture thingy discussed here should be called a promo anyway.[/quote:21xp864t]
      it is usually sold as a "promo". i think that’s the only reason.
      of course it is just a bootleg.

Arthur
      Spectator

i just remembered that spfc.org has info on these (under bootlist):
      http://www.spfc.org/songs-releases/boot … oot_id=180
      http://www.spfc.org/songs-releases/boot … oot_id=181[/quote:z6yd8bat]
      Here you go Ally. 181 is the summary of all we discussed here about your vinyl, and another proof of this vinyl being called a bootleg in the SP community. For your information, maybe you don’t know SPFC yet, but SPFC is considered to be a very trustworthy source of information since long.

(and I’m going to use those eBay pics for the Vinyl (Non-Official) section later today, thanks Cool! 8) )

Alekflyfire
      Spectator

Hey everyone,

yeah i thought so, seemed a little too good to be true, I did check SPFC when i got home but not under the EMI listing as the info I copied down said hut etc.. I did remember the white promo which I also don’t have and initially thought well yay i found something sweet, then my brain kicked in.

Seemed a little strange then, that the guy in the store was really nice in allowing me to take pics of it if I wanted to. And to think we were talking about downloading and decreased sales in record stores and all the while he’s flogging a boot. I think he underestimated my sp knowledge. And then people wonder why kids don’t use record stores.

Thanks for all the posts and info, who said netphorians were not helpful.
      Also still looking for that elusive Siva CD
      enjoy the weekend
      Ally

Arthur
      Spectator

Thanks for all the posts and info, who said netphorians were not helpful.[/quote:2es7afno]
      We badly need to do something about the looks and feels of this board guys. I’m very unhappy with this mistake. :P
      Welcome to the SPfreaks Forum anyway Ally, hope to see you back soon. Have a great weekend too!

Thanks for all the posts and info, who said netphorians were not helpful.[/quote:cstuytra]
      arthur i just knew you would sell us off to that shithole in the end. thanks but no thanks!

Alekflyfire
      Spectator

bad joke i know. It’s late and im still working

bad joke i know. It’s late and im still working[/quote:3uvt0q95]
      hey alek, welcome! it’s a great joke actually you call for help of the spfreaks and call us netphorians. i see the "it’s almost weekend and i don’t wanna work anymore" sarcasm. got kicked off there too? it seems to have happened to a few people here also. and gonna buy the vinyl now?

Arthur
      Spectator

arthur i just knew you would sell us off to that shithole in the end. thanks but no thanks![/quote:3ct0n7xf]
      Yup I tried. Thing is however when they heard a member called BleedingTheOrchid comes with the board, they wanted money from me, instead of the other way round. Quite some money actually. I’m saving now, untill then we’re stuck to each other still. 8)

yea yea yea you wish :P

Alekflyfire
      Spectator

bad joke i know. It’s late and im still working[/quote:18hagwbi]
      hey alek, welcome! it’s a great joke actually you call for help of the spfreaks and call us netphorians. i see the "it’s almost weekend and i don’t wanna work anymore" sarcasm. got kicked off there too? it seems to have happened to a few people here also. and gonna buy the vinyl now?[/quote:18hagwbi]

Nah was gonna buy if it was legit, but didnt after reading all your posts. I went back to the store this morning and someone had brought it.

Those clear vinyls Cool As Ice Cream just posted are different to the pic. disc in the store though.
      I want real one now, grrrr.

what are you saying? you want a \"real one\"? huh?
      in case this wasn’t clear, the picture disc is a bootleg too.

Alekflyfire
      Spectator

sorry, should be more specific with what I type :oops: what I meant I want the the legit white promo one you mentioned – not that I’d ever have the extra cash to cough up for it. I know the coloured pics are boots as well & people obviously buy them, why who knows. My collection sucks though :(

Viewing 19 reply threads

The forum ‘Collecting Items’ is closed to new topics and replies.