Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Woody_B_Myst
      Spectator

On eBay now, looks real. No bids as we speak, but starting price is 175 bucks with \"Reserve not met\".

some pumpkins
      Spectator

i think that’s the lowest number i’ve seen. but i’m more interested in getting an infamous white box, no number edition.

Woody_B_Myst
      Spectator

@some pumpkins (or someone else): do you mind expanding on the ‘infamy’ of the white box, no number edition? are they rarer?

i’ve got one of the un-numbered copies and have been looking for a numbered copy (waiting to find one for a cheap price)

The unnumbered copies (but with an empty white box! otherwise it’s a fake) are the second pressing of the album. The first pressing was numbered and limited, but we’ve seen numbers as high as 23,000, so they’re not as rare as you might expect. The unnumbered version seems harder to find, so we assume it’s rarer.

About the number 1,916: ok, that’s lower than most, knowing that it goes up to 20,000 and more, but it’s still a high number. No need to wee your pants here.

There’s this rumour that everything under 5,000 is from the very first pressing, and then the higher numbers are from another run, which makes the lower numbers more collectible for some, but I think that’s incorrect.
      What I think has happened is this: the MCIS vinyl was announced to be released, limited and numbered. The first announcements mentioned 5,000 copies, later mentioned 10,000 or so, and then, when the vinyl finally got released (I believe there might have been some delays), even higher numbers showed up.
      In short: these low pressing numbers were only mentioned before they started pressing them. Once they finally started producing the numbered vinyls, they made a lot more, all at the same time. Only later (two years later), they made more copies, now leaving the white box empty.

Looks like spfc.org tells a similar story: http://www.spfc.org/songs-releases/disc … scog_id=18

# The 3LP version of MCIS was originally solicited in February of 1996 as a limited-to-5000, numbered edition. When it was finally released in April, it was allegedly limited to 15,000. Since that time, numbers above 18,000 have been confirmed, leaving open the question of how many copies were actually pressed.
      # In late 1998, the MCIS 3LP was repressed. The new pressing is unnumbered (leaving the number box empty), and the sleeve is made of flimsier material. [/quote:1oftlmc2]

some pumpkins
      Spectator

the person i won it from said the white box, no number pressing is from ’98

some pumpkins
      Spectator

the person i won it from said the white box, no number pressing is from ’98[/quote:2c6yvx5g]

wait, maybe they said ’97. i can’t remember. my bad.

spfc.org says late ’98.

edit: and in case you missed this, the first release of the mcis 3lp, i.e. the numbered one, was released in april 1996. (and not october 1995, like the cd.)

Woody_B_Myst
      Spectator

Thanks Cool As Ice Cream & Some Pumpkins, that’s very interesting. I bought my white box copy new in ’99 in Melbourne, Australia, so late ’98 makes sense to me. I obviously hadn’t read that SPFC info closely because I always assumed the first 5,000 were numbered and then the multiple thousands above that were un-numbered (and thus, not as rare). Thanks for the info.

Viewing 7 reply threads

The forum ‘Collecting Items’ is closed to new topics and replies.