Viewing 87 reply threads
  • Author

marigold
      Spectator

Well, let’s start this topic a bit early, because I have a question already. And there will be many more, let alone the many reviews that will pop up from you guys! I’m pretty pumped for this reissue release, that’s for sure. If I look at all the bonus material on the Pisces Iscariot reissue… Promising!

Anyway, I wondered… The Mellon Collie original 1995 release is close to reaching the 10 million copies sold status in the US. The band already received a 9M award on September 17th, 2001. So now we definately will see a boost again in the sales of this album, with the reissue. Will the number of reissue copies sold be counted for the 10M award? Just wondering…

manillascissor
      Keymaster

Anyway, I wondered… The Mellon Collie original 1995 release is close to reaching the 10 million copies sold status in the US. The band already received a 9M award on September 17th, 2001. So now we definately will see a boost again in the sales of this album, with the reissue. Will the number of reissue copies sold be counted for the 10M award? Just wondering…[/quote:rvdmm1fh]

For the purposes of quantifying sales, an album’s original and subsequent releases are counted together. For example, if an album sold 300,000 of its original release and 700,000 in subsequent reissues, it would be entitled to platinum certification. However, the musical contents of the disc must remain the same on a reissue for it to count towards certification.

-Wikipedia

Although, if it includes extra shit, does that negate the whole thing? I guess it wouldn’t matter, because surely they will manufacture some sort of standard release. But even then, they’d need to sell around 500,000 copies. That is a TON.

marigold
      Spectator

He also told me details about the band’s Mellon Collie reissue, which will come with 70 – yes, 70 – extra tracks spread over five discs, and juicy details about the Pumpkins’ next record, a planned double album for which he’ll let punters decide the tracklisting.[/quote:ne8u6hic]

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment … d=10824973

Arthur
      Spectator

O.M.F.G. :shock:

marigold
      Spectator

Pretty much what I thought!

and then there’s this double album – which will need another thread – but what I don’t understand is why this info isn’t in the interview itself, but just mentioned as being discussed….hmmmm we shall see!

Arthur
      Spectator

Maybe this guy will write about it in a next article? And a new double album, wow… But what are punters?

marigold
      Spectator

Punters are the fans!

I asked the guy who wrote the article for more info, these are his replies:

\"he said he was confirming Mellon Collie details right after our interview, and hinted at a new double LP\"

\"he said he was planning a double album and fans could choose their own tracklisting. But it sounded like early days\"

I expect the MCIS reissue details will be announced soon.

does this mean people will have a chance to vote what tracks will be on the album?
      or will it be that other format, where a bunch of songs are available, and when you buy the album, you can choose what tracks will be on your (downloaded) album. i believe another big band did this fairly recently. but then a bit later, they also released a standard cd version. i can’t immediately remember who it was. let me think.

ah, here it is. kaiser chiefs. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Future_Is_Medieval

The album was uniquely promoted in the United Kingdom, as copies purchased from the band’s website from 3 June could contain a tracklisting chosen by the purchaser. Each album could contain ten of any of the twenty-three tracks available on the digital deluxe version of the album, and each individual album artwork could be edited to the purchaser’s design. Purchasers could also share their version of the album, and for every other buyer who chooses to purchase their version, they earn £1.[/quote:pemotrry]

also, isn’t the meaning of \"punter\" more something like \"customer\", rather than \"fan\"?
      i’m not entirely certain, but if so, then this would imply that everyone who buys the album (=punter) can select what tracks they want. and not that fans can vote for tracks before the album is released.

ah yes, check it out, meaning 5: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/punter

(UK, slang) A customer of a commercial establishment, frequently of a pub or (alternatively) of a prostitute.[/quote:16ieiebt]

i was thinking about \"regulars at a pub\" when i heard \"punters\", but according to that definition, any customer is a punter. they don’t necessarily have to be regulars. (correct me if i’m wrong. now the fact that \"frequently\" is in italic is confusing me.)

manillascissor
      Keymaster

ah yes, check it out, meaning 5: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/punter

(UK, slang) A customer of a commercial establishment, frequently of a pub or (alternatively) of a prostitute.[/quote:3amckfud]

i was thinking about "regulars at a pub" when i heard "punters", but according to that definition, any customer is a punter. they don’t necessarily have to be regulars. (correct me if i’m wrong. now the fact that "frequently" is in italic is confusing me.)[/quote:3amckfud]

it is saying the most common usage of the word is when used in a bar/pub context, but also, although less common (less frequently), it is used in association with prostitution.

i will always be your whore.

marigold
      Spectator

yeah, punters = fans who buy the album.

It would be cool if they allow people to choose the artwork from a selection too.

i don’t really want to pay for a download, and definitely not for a partial download.
      \"oh, here we have 40 songs. please select 20 you want to pay for. absolutely groundbreaking!\" if they have 40 songs, i want all 40 songs. duh.

well, hypothetically. i might have lost all interest in new material by then.

jupiter
      Spectator

you should be able to buy twice

marigold
      Spectator

you should be able to buy twice[/quote:7t8nophr]

What do you mean by buy twice? You mean buy the album of your choice of tracks, and then later when there’s the option to, buy the rest of the tracks? I’d rather just buy all the tracks I wanted, maybe they’ll have that option.

maybe none of this will ever happen. remember, this is sp we’re talking about.

jupiter
      Spectator

if there are 40 tracks, 20 tracks per album.
      buy 2 albums straight up!
      ;)

Arthur
      Spectator

Anyway, I wondered… The Mellon Collie original 1995 release is close to reaching the 10 million copies sold status in the US. The band already received a 9M award on September 17th, 2001. So now we definately will see a boost again in the sales of this album, with the reissue. Will the number of reissue copies sold be counted for the 10M award? Just wondering…[/quote:22eiahds]
      I had noooo idea it was that close already. They don’t need the reissue for it anymore. :lol:

http://www.sys-con.com/node/2385736

Arthur
      Spectator

He also told me details about the band’s Mellon Collie reissue, which will come with 70 – yes, 70 – extra tracks spread over five discs, and juicy details about the Pumpkins’ next record, a planned double album for which he’ll let punters decide the tracklisting.[/quote:3l3ruilm][/quote:3l3ruilm]
      64 extra tracks on three discs, it turned out. Or 78 on four discs, if you include the dvd. Awesome set, we saw in the other thread.

Arthur
      Spectator

Buy it rather cheap on Amazon Canada (80 Euro):

http://www.amazon.ca/Mellon-Collie-Infi … 354&sr=1-2

Buy it very expensive on eil.com (279 Euro):

http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=574097

Buy it rather cheap on Amazon Canada (80 Euro):

http://www.amazon.ca/Mellon-Collie-Infi … 354&sr=1-2[/quote:3iipm3ib]
      80 euro? "rather expensive" seems better worded to me.

Arthur
      Spectator

Sorry? 5 cds, 1 dvd, 2 books, luxury package, and 80 euro is considered rather expensive? I must be living in a parallel universe I guess. :lol:

yes, i think that’s rather expensive for what you get. they shouldn’t ask more than 60 euro, in my opinion. also, if they actually want to sell some copies, they’d better aim for a price even lower than that.

maybe everyone thinks it’s a good deal because it’s been listed at a much higher price for a while. maybe people got used to the idea that it was going to cost them $180 or so, and now they feel like they’re getting a good deal, because it’s \"only\" $100 now?

how would you have felt about $100 if that was the first price listed?

personally, i still believe the price will drop before this gets actually released.

content-wise (6 discs), i think this is worth about the same as two 3-disc deluxe editions, max.
      so about 50 euro.
      this isn’t a 20-disc box set.

i guess the big box increases the cost, so 60 euro seems reasonable still. but more than that? not in my (parallel) world.

note that the previous reissues also had extra deluxe stuff included, and came in a deluxe box (i admit: from looking at those mcis pictures, the mcis release looks a bit more \"deluxe\"), and were priced between 22 and 29 euro, if i remember correctly.

Arthur
      Spectator

I see it from a different angle. $15 per disc is kind of normal these days. Add 2 books (not just booklets as far as I can see) of $15 each to that. No idea how much for that decoupage thingy. But it all adds up to a standard retail price of way beyond $100. The Pisces Iscariot deluxe reissue in NL was 37 or 38 euro, couldn’t find it any cheaper so far. So yeah, 80 euro for the deluxe reissue of Mellon Collie makes sense to me. Also I compared it to the 279 euro EIL is currently asking.

I see it from a different angle. $15 per disc is kind of normal these days.[/quote:ba7mvldw]
      not if you put several discs in one package. $15 per disc is indeed kind of normal. but i wouldn’t say that $30 is normal for 2-disc releases. isn’t $20 a more common price for those?
      and if you’re looking at some 10-disc releases, the price per disc is even less, and can easily drop to $5 or $6.

Also I compared it to the 279 euro EIL is currently asking.[/quote:ba7mvldw]
      that’s my point: you’re comparing it to absolutely ridiculous prices elsewhere. because of their ridiculousness, i don’t see how that can be used here as a valid argument. but clearly it’s given people the perception that $100 is a steal.
      that’s why i asked how you’d feel about $100 if no higher prices had been listed elsewhere. but i guess it’s hard to tell, as you can’t go back in time and test the other scenario.

Arthur
      Spectator

Comparing it with other places’ prices is a very valid argument. It works the same with buying a house. When two neighbours with an exact same house sell their property at the same time, you would obviously first check the cheapest. No?

And I have more arguments. Pro and con, to be honest. Just check Amazon.

$95,49 for 2 cd, 2dvd, 1 LP reissue deluxe box of Rage Against The Machine:

King of Gloom
      Spectator

I think 80 euros is a pretty reasonable price. Casual fans wouldn’t be interested in buying such a big boxset and the more hardcore fans don’t mind spending 80 euros. Like Arthur said, the PI reissue was almost 40 euros too.

jupiter
      Spectator

i’ll just be getting the digital download of mcis (hope thats not really expensive), i’ll save my money for the tafh box set (i dont have one of them)!
      8)

manillascissor
      Keymaster

[/quote:2pxbkl4w]

i didn’t know rage against the machine used the today ice cream truck first. interesting.

jupiter
      Spectator

hahahaha

Comparing it with other places’ prices is a very valid argument.[/quote:3vbjykym]
      not if they’re asking 280 euro for it at the other place. that way everything else is a fair price.

anyway, for me, 80 euro is too expensive for what it is.
      and i would have felt the same about 40 euro for the pisces iscariot deluxe edition. i thought 30 euro was already pushing it.

Sven
      Spectator

Comparing it with other places’ prices is a very valid argument.[/quote:233yrhy7]
      not if they’re asking 280 euro for it at the other place. that way everything else is a fair price.

and i would have felt the same about 40 euro for the pisces iscariot deluxe edition. i thought 30 euro was already pushing it.[/quote:233yrhy7]

the last bit about PI deluxe just doesn’t compute…
      a remastered cd of the album alone would be EUR 18.
      a stand alone dvd with this content as in the deluxe box would be EUR 20
      then the cassette and the bonus disc are virtually "for free" with a retail price of EUR 38.

prices can and will only drop on box set releases if the company can use the old(er) masters.
      this material was all mastered again and especially for these releases.
      the print run will not be that stunningly high either.
      figure in the cost of the remastering, remixing, archive-work, design and manufacturing of the boxes and all…
      i guess these are a steal at this pricing.

now for MCIS there’s even more to the deluxe box set.
      plus: with four vinyls a double price when compared to SD or PI would be pretty much normal.

all in all; with all the work gone into preparation for these releases and the final production standards I still cannot find these re-issues to be overpriced by any means.

i understand what you’re saying about remastering, and preparing the bonus material.
      but they were able to do the same thing for gish and siamese dream (except for that pisces iscariot bonus tape, which i personally think is a bit of an \"obelisk\" extra; useless) and only charge $25.
      i don’t think the addition of the tape makes the whole thing ten euros more expensive, but i guess it did.

the whole point of adding bonus material and selling it for less than the sum of the separate discs, is to get people to spend more money on the remastered albums. it’s supposed to be a \"good deal\".
      giving each disc a value as if it was going to be sold separately is not the (normal) way to go if you want to price a box set. you’re supposed to get the idea that you get part of the music and all of the deluxe shit (packaging, postcards, whatnot) \"for free\" (if you stick to the add-up-prices-of-separate-discs thing).

all i’m saying is that, even though $100 might be a better deal than paying $20 for each disc, to me, the price doesn’t make sense. to me it’s expensive. and i’m just surprised to see people on different messageboards cheer about the $100 pricetag. i didn’t understand.

i guess we won’t be able to agree on this.

by the way, that pisces bonus dvd is not marketable on its own. i think it rules, but that would never work.

Arthur
      Spectator

Comparing it with other places’ prices is a very valid argument.[/quote:2yu8qx2q]

and i would have felt the same about 40 euro for the pisces iscariot deluxe edition. i thought 30 euro was already pushing it.[/quote:2yu8qx2q]

i guess we won’t be able to agree on this.[/quote:2yu8qx2q]
      Your way of reasoning is indeed a little beyond me. Everything else a ‘fair price’? Not in my universe, anyway. A ‘lower price’ I would call it. But not ‘fair’. I determine ‘fair’ by checking out other deluxe boxes, and their price settings. Only then I would call 80 Euro ‘fair’, for the moment.

And in your opinion, 80 Euro is still too expensive, while the difference between 60 Euro (your own suggestion) and 80 Euro is just 20 Euro? Compared to the price range we know now, with 80 Euro on the bottom end and 279 Euro on the top end, I call that peanuts. Pushing the boundaries for money reasons only where it should be about the music, and the (artful) release first. But that is just my opinion, which you don’t have to agree on of course. I’m a huge music lover, and when I really want something, I will always find that last 20 Euro somewhere to buy it. Or I wait, till it becomes cheaper (hopefully), or till my next salary comes in.

Anyway 1, another thingy. The EIL price setting is to be called ‘extreme’, if you ask me. I called it ‘very expensive’, but let me rephrase that to ‘extremely expensive’. I really wonder how many people go for that price! :lol:

And anyway 2, 80 Euro for Amazon Canada, 152 Euro for Free Record Shop and 279 Euro for EIL. Good luck hunting everybody, for the best deal! :twisted:

And in your opinion, 80 Euro is still too expensive, while the difference between 60 Euro (your own suggestion) and 80 Euro is just 20 Euro? Compared to the price range we know now, with 80 Euro on the bottom end and 279 Euro on the top end, I call that peanuts.[/quote:1v81koiv]
      hey, 20 euro is peanuts to a lot of people. i can piss away 20 euro and pretend it didn’t happen.
      but 20 euro on top of 60 euro is a lot, relatively. that’s one third more.
      no idea why you’d refer to the 279 euro here. that’s got nothing to do with it. i could start my own website and sell the reissue for 4000 euro there. but that doesn’t make the 20 euro any less when we’re comparing 60 euro to 80 euro.

this isn’t really about what i can afford, or want to spend. we’ll see about that when it is for sale… ;)

i’m convinced the price will drop though, because they’ll miss out on a lot of sales if they keep it at $100, which i still think is quite expensive for a set like this. (i really do!)
      but hey, maybe they first want the $100 of everyone who doesn’t mind paying $100, and then they’ll lower the price a bit and start a second round of sales?

dunno. did i miss something about the box set? is it made out of a certain expensive materials? silk and ebony? or is it just cardboard and plastic?

Everything else a ‘fair price’? Not in my universe, anyway. A ‘lower price’ I would call it. But not ‘fair’. I determine ‘fair’ by checking out other deluxe boxes, and their price settings.[/quote:1nm9d5rw]
      all right. this seems the right way.
      (but then i don’t see why you should refer to the eil.com price. it’s not needed in this strategy. it’s not a realistic price setting.)

Arthur
      Spectator

i could start my own website and sell the reissue for 4000 euro there.[/quote:2fnw1mf2]
      But reality is, EIL is f*cking serious, and you’re not. :P

I think it is the magnetic closures and the velvet disc holders that make the price. :lol:

i could start my own website and sell the reissue for 4000 euro there.[/quote:2k48vbw3]
      But reality is, EIL is f*cking serious, and you’re not. :P [/quote:2k48vbw3]
      oh, for 4000 euro per copy, i’d be very serious. :P no problemo!

manillascissor
      Keymaster

you know, when the solstace bare came out, EVERYONE had to have it like, right now. i remember it being on eBay forever at ridiculous prices. then, after waiting about 6 months, i bought mine sealed for like $18 if i remember correctly. could have been less.

i might not wait that long for the vinyl (i’ll pick that shit up immediately), but the boxset, i’ll just buy when it’s at a decent price.

people seem to forget that with capitalism, the power is in the hands of the consumer, not the seller. if it’s overpriced, don’t buy it! the seller can hold on to their product, of course, and never release it. or, more likely, they will lower and lower the prices until the shit is reasonable. otherwise, they produced a product and will get no return on it. not a good business strategy.

people also forget there is no real \"urgency of now\". why the fuck does everyone have to have this shit the day it is released? it’s such a poor reflection on where our society is today. fucking RELAX!

it happened like this for that pink smashing pumpkins demo tape on eBay. i sent the guy an offer of $400. a couple days ago he says, fine, i’ll take it. but i wrote back that even $400 was too much and offered $350. this is after initially offering a buy it now price of $2,999.99 and waiting around 2-3 months. if you are patient, and sometimes a little wiley, you can get items you want for the price you want them.

just to point out how dumb this seller was, though, he lists the item buy it now for $350, and someone else snagged it OR one of his friends (fake) snagged it. i wrote back very confused, and he wrote back some dumb explanation that i just deleted.

Arthur
      Spectator

I need one fast since I’m sponsoring the contest. And it has to be packed with a shirt. :)

There is nobody more relaxed than me, I guess. I hope it works for both the Oceania promo singles though… :?

marigold
      Spectator

I’ll see what they’re selling it for here (if they do sell it in the shops here) as the other reissues went down in price after several months, but this reissue has decoupage! Can’t wait to have a go with that :)

If I recall that pink demo tape was originally $5,999… Yep :roll:

manillascissor
      Keymaster

If I recall that pink demo tape was originally $5,999… Yep :roll:[/quote:3lbjhg44]

this was a different one. that piece of shit is still for sale.

marigold
      Spectator

people also forget there is no real "urgency of now". why the fuck does everyone have to have this shit the day it is released? it’s such a poor reflection on where our society is today. fucking RELAX![/quote:2kp2lu3f]
      i agree. there’s no hurry.

some albums i only buy after they’ve been out for over a year. doesn’t matter to me. the music’s the same still.

jawn till dusk
      Spectator

I had to hurry.

Just ordered all 3 reissues. :D

Arthur
      Spectator

:lol:

jawn till dusk
      Spectator

Worked out just under 120GBP for all 3 after getting a discount on the vinyl.

I’m quite happy with that! :D

marigold
      Spectator

I really like the t-shirt designs for this reissue

jawn till dusk
      Spectator

Wish I had tits. :D

marigold
      Spectator

lol – there’s a men’s one too, it’s black though.

http://www.smashingpumpkins.com/store/mcis-reissue/

marigold
      Spectator

The CD+DVD is $200 here, so is the vinyl reissue – that’s about $US320 total :?
      It might be an idea to wait a bit – as I don’t think they will sell at that price somehow.

Arthur
      Spectator

I just admired the deluxe vinyl and cd reissues. Stunning.

Probably the casual fan might not notice the book mixup. The books for the vinyl and cd boxes are pretty much the same. However, if your book with the cd box does not contain chapters about the (cd only) bonus songs, no information about the dvd content…

Or your book with the vinyl box contains chapters about the (cd only) bonus songs, etc…

Then you know enough… :(

King of Gloom
      Spectator

Yeah, what about that? Are they all mixed up or was that just a coincidence? I’m getting the CD version this Sunday for my birthday and I hope it will have the CD book with it. :o

jawn till dusk
      Spectator

Do the chapters for the cd songs contain ‘stories’ about the tracks?

On my cd book it has track info,like produced,recorded,mixed etc. but nothing else.

I did notice it says that ‘Meladori Magpie’ and ‘blank’ was previously released on the ‘thirty three’ single and ‘rotten apples’ was on ‘tonight,tonight’ in 95 :?

marigold
      Spectator

I’ve seen the vinyl for $NZ150 now, that’s better, and certainly a lot better than amazon UK
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B008Z9L … -4&pi=SL75
      :shock:

Arthur
      Spectator

It looks like Austria has even better deals, compared to Canada. :shock:

@Bram, this is what you have been looking for, I’m sure. Order 2, and have free shipment! :lol:

https://www.imladen.at/?art=9160373

@Bram, this is what you have been looking for, I’m sure. Order 2, and have free shipment! :lol:

https://www.imladen.at/?art=9160373[/quote:2fj3ec3e]
      aw yeah! that looks good.

i already got the vinyl from amazon.ca for €21, so this is perfect.

i’m afraid it’s a mistake though, and it’s just the 2-disc version…

Arthur
      Spectator

i already got the vinyl from amazon.ca for €21, so this is perfect.[/quote:2lkq2to3]
      Ordered and received?

i already got the vinyl from amazon.ca for €21, so this is perfect.[/quote:2kmu7ckl]
      Ordered and received?[/quote:2kmu7ckl]
      should arrive any day now.
      it’s already been in belgium for a couple of days, but they were trying to charge me import taxes (22 euro: more expensive than the actual item), so i had to arrange a couple of things first. the solution: i’m paying the import taxes, but because they were amazon’s fault (they listed a value of over 50 euro), they’re giving me a refund.

Arthur
      Spectator

lol, amazing story. :lol:

You did not buy 2 deluxe vinyl boxes, right? I have a spare deluxe cd box. I’m trying to trade it for a vinyl box, if someone is interested.

no, sorry, i only got one.
      if i ever get a second one, it’s going to be the other version (EU or US).

i already got the vinyl from amazon.ca for €21, so this is perfect.[/quote:143bg0xn]
      Ordered and received?[/quote:143bg0xn]
      the vinyl set arrived today. i haven’t opened it yet, but it looks like it must be the US version.

shipping included, it cost me 27 euro. not bad. i’d even call that cheap.

marigold
      Spectator

How did you find it for that price?

amazon.ca had it for sale for CDN$26.99.
      the whole story is a bit longer, but that’s the main storyline.

marigold
      Spectator

I see. I need to keep my eye on that.

Edit: or if I just want to listen to the songs, go to youtube.

https://www.imladen.at/?art=9160373[/quote:3ozqap8l]
      to be serious for a minute though, what are the cheapest prices everyone has found for the EU releases of the deluxe box set and the vinyl set?

the best i’ve found so far is 130 euro for each.
      (and i thought 80 euro was already quite expensive. colour me shocked.)

https://www.imladen.at/?art=9160373[/quote:33ju3cjy]
      well, arthur, i went ahead and ordered one copy from this austrian website. shipping was only 3 euro. (i didn’t see any deals for free shipping.)

today i’m the proud owner of the EU deluxe edition of the mcis reissue.
      and that for only 23 euro. that’s even cheaper than the 25 euro i spent on the US vinyl set.

now i suddenly feel like i definitely overpaid for the 2cd version of the reissue, at 16 euro.

You did not buy 2 deluxe vinyl boxes, right? I have a spare deluxe cd box. I’m trying to trade it for a vinyl box, if someone is interested.[/quote:11uuzfnf]
      arthur, how did you end up with a spare deluxe edition? and is it the US or the EU 5cd+1dvd release?

Arthur
      Spectator

well, arthur, i went ahead and ordered one copy from this austrian website. shipping was only 3 euro. (i didn’t see any deals for free shipping.)

and that for only 23 euro. that’s even cheaper than the 25 euro i spent on the US vinyl set.[/quote:2t0vx0qz]

I might order a box there also then, to have both the US and the EU version.

so you (still) have two copies of the US deluxe edition?

Arthur
      Spectator

arthur, how did you end up with a spare deluxe edition? and is it the US or the EU 5cd+1dvd release?[/quote:3hip5gpi]
      Well, it went like this. I ordered one for the contest we did last year on our WordPress blog. Just to have it at home in time, and being able to ship it asap the contest winner was known. Then I couldn’t find a cheaper one in the weeks after, and I decided to order one extra for myself. That was at Amazon Canada. I noticed they didn’t add the second order to the first order, and I was about to pay double shipment if I did nothing. So I send them an email asking to fix it (the shopping basket did not have an option for that, at least I couldn’t find it) and they send an email back to me one or two days later that it was fixed.

Then I received an email confirmation at the date it was shipped, and I noticed that the ‘fix’ included adding another deluxe box to my order, making up to a total of three deluxe boxes being shipped (and billed too)! I decided to leave it like that… :)

It is the US box, by the way.

Arthur
      Spectator

so you (still) have two copies of the US deluxe edition?[/quote:347448xf]
      Yup. One used, one sealed. The sealed one is for trade.

and that for only 23 euro. that’s even cheaper than the 25 euro i spent on the US vinyl set.[/quote:msocgfil]

I might order a box there also then, to have both the US and the EU version.[/quote:msocgfil]
      arthur, did you order a box set there? did you receive it?

i ordered another one, ’cause 23 euro is very good value. but today i received an email that i got a refund, because the item was "no longer available". oh well. :(
      maybe they realised they made a mistake.
      their reason is a lie though: it is now available on their website for 199 euro.

Arthur
      Spectator

No I did not order it, and as it looks now, reading your story, I am too late… :(

Ah well, I still got that Japanese promo copy, cannot complain, right? ;)

No I did not order it, and as it looks now, reading your story, I am too late… :(

Ah well, I still got that Japanese promo copy, cannot complain, right? ;)[/quote:twtygg6t]
      right!
      and that’s also a EU deluxe edition, right?

Arthur
      Spectator

Right. It’s sealed, so I am not going to check any further. But my heart skipped a beat or two finding this thing. I am after the other Japanese reissue deluxe boxes too, but I stopped hunting during my holiday period till March 4th. We are not at home anyway, so I cannot receive or pick up packages bigger than mailbox opening size. :)

Arthur
      Spectator

I ended up buying two MCIS deluxe vinyl boxes on Amazon Canada for a little below 35 Euro each, incl. shipment. In The Netherlands this vinyl box is 150 Euro or more! :lol:

There are still a few available, for who is interested:

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B008Z9L94O/

Some people have mentioned that there are problems with side A and side B of their US vinyl copy.
      I personally don’t hear anything wrong with my copy, but apparently not all copies have problems. Or maybe it depends on what record player you play it?

Anyway, something interesting came up on the sp.com messageboard recently. Someone contacted A&R, and got in touch with Stan Getz, the guy who did the vinyl mastering.

http://www.smashingpumpkins.com/board_n … t&p=782864

I decided to email A&R to ask about the issue and if I could provide a recording to demonstrate. Stan took the time to write back to me with some info. Hopefully he won’t mind me sharing the response with everyone.

Hi,
      Thank you very much for the e mail,and I truly thank you for the offer.
      We re cut master lacquers and dropped the overall level 3~4 db to try to make it "Bullit Proof"a while back.
      It is really a great box set,and his upcomming stuff Rocks.
      Thanks Again ,
      All Best,
      Stan[/quote:3oolfad1]

I then asked him if there was any way to decipher the updated copy on the outside packaging. Here’s what he said.

As far as I know,the packaging is all the same.
      The re cut was on Disc 1,and the way to tell is by the matrix .
      After the matrix number it is scribed with Disc 1 – Ax1 on the A side and Disc 1 – Bx1 on the B side.
      Thanks!!
      Stan[/quote:3oolfad1]

Based on this, it seems like there is a second version out there. Can anyone who has purchased recently take a look at their A&B for the different marking?
      [/quote:3oolfad1]
      I’m a bit suspicious, but if this is true, there’s a second pressing of the US mcis reissue on vinyl, where they adapted the volume on the first disc. The only way to tell the difference is looking at the matrix codes on side A and side B of the first disc. These now end in "x1".

Let’s keep an eye on this.
      Can anyone who didn’t buy their US vinyl copy around the release date check their copy and see if it has the updated matrix code on the first disc? Thanks.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

i’ll check mine out tonight

didn’t you buy it right after it was released?

Arthur
      Spectator

Interesting info, Bram. The matrix codes on my vinyl are:

P. USA -26098- 5099997855316 -DISC1- A (on side A)
      AR – Dallas – SPGII P. USA 5099997855316 -DISC-1. B -26098- (on side B)

No wonder why Amazon CA was suddenly dumping these on the market. ;)
      I have no issues playing side A and B though.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

didn’t you buy it right after it was released?[/quote:1gbmcqlv]

i bought mine through topspin and then another through amazon as it was only $36 or something ridiculous like that.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

exactly the same as arthur’s

marigold
      Spectator

I really like the t-shirt designs for this reissue

[/quote:3hkw3yt0]

The online store still says "WE WILL BE BACK SOON’, but this t-shirt should be easy to get printed.

http://landslide.2007.org/fonts.htm 8)

Viewing 87 reply threads

The forum ‘General’ is closed to new topics and replies.