Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

Arthur
      Spectator

Maybe we had a topic about this already somewhere? Anyway, I received yesterday this Canadian mispress of the Mellon Collie cd set. Cool huh?

Both cds contain the tracks of cd 2 (from Where Boys etc. to Farewell). The blue cd however does NOT contain the right matrixcodes for the Canadian release (which should be MFG BY CINRAM), instead it contains the matrixcodes for the US release (by head): MASTERED BY EMI MFG. Also note that the colored inner ring is smaller for the Canadian release, and that should be the same on the blue cd. I just checked that in the online Collection. It’s a cool misprint anyway, as the genuine Canadian red cd is indeed wrongly printed!

manillascissor
      Keymaster

That’s pretty neat!

I have an Adore CD that plays Frank Sinatra. Somewhere…

Arthur
      Spectator

Housed in a unique Metallica lead jewelcase, with Prince artwork? :wink:

blueczarina
      Spectator

your joking right :wink:

I wouldn’t call that a misprint, Arthur.

I also have a Canadian release where the sad cd is red, and the happy one is blue (this release: http://www.spfreaks.com/default.aspx?pa … &item=2031). I believe this was done on purpose, and hence not a misprint. (But this is not my point.)

What you seem to have is this release, mixed up with an American release. (Obviously the pressing plant in Canada wouldn’t all of a sudden start pressing cds with the US matrix code, right?)

My conclusion: \"rare\" Canadian release with switched colours, messed up by someone by replacing the \"happy blue\" cd with a \"sad blue\" US cd. Maybe this happened in a used record store that had more copies of MCIS; and someone just put a red and a blue cd in a case, without looking more closely.

Sven
      Spectator

I wouldn’t call that a misprint, Arthur.

I also have a Canadian release where the sad cd is red, and the happy one is blue (this release: http://www.spfreaks.com/default.aspx?pa … &item=2031). I believe this was done on purpose, and hence not a misprint. (But this is not my point.)

What you seem to have is this release, mixed up with an American release. (Obviously the pressing plant in Canada wouldn’t all of a sudden start pressing cds with the US matrix code, right?)

My conclusion: "rare" Canadian release with switched colours, messed up by someone by replacing the "happy blue" cd with a "sad blue" US cd. Maybe this happened in a used record store that had more copies of MCIS; and someone just put a red and a blue cd in a case, without looking more closely.[/quote:3g55bqfv]

1- what makes you think the Canadian colour switch was done on purpouse? Is there any reason to think it was?

2- the US matrix doens’t tell a lot- matrixes do wear out- so it’s kinda possible the Canadian pressing plant either switched to the US pressing matrix for the remainder or got the remainder pressed in the US…. or isn’t it?

3- your "conclusion" to be honest, to me, seems convoluted; why in the world would this happen apart from a true misplacement? i really do think a true Canadian colour mix-up, plus maybe a defective master-matrix glass-mother copy or something caused this- that is: as long as there as more than just one of these mixed-up copies— if it’s a one-off: you ARE totally right and I rest my case of course… but for know I guess we have to wait for more of the same to pop up to determine whether Arthur’s copy is a mix-up by a dealer or something or a true "mis-press" in some kind of numbers on the run by the Canadian press- right?

1- what makes you think the Canadian colour switch was done on purpouse? Is there any reason to think it was?[/quote:2xdv6k3h]
      It’s just something I heard. They originally wanted to do it fifty-fifty. Half of the MCIS copies "normal", like we know them, and the other half with a blue happy cd, and a red sad one.
      Oh well, might be completely false.

I’m a bit surprised you don’t agree with my conclusion immediately though. Aren’t both cds cds we already know from other releases (if you look at colours and matrix codes)? Arthur, can you post the exact matrix codes of two cds?

If a pressing plate/master/ whatever wears out, they just make a new one, no? And adjust the number. I thought that’s where the 1-1-1, 1-1-2, 1-2-1 and so on came from.

"Why would this happen apart from a true misplacement?" Uh, that’s what I’m saying: It is a misplacement.
      Misplacements happen a lot in used record stores. Cds are taken out of the cases and only put back when the cd is sold. And at that moment (at some shops) they don’t care if the buyer gets the cds that originally came with that case. If you buy MCIS, then the MCIS is what you’ll get and that’s that.
      It’s not too hard for me to see how someone took a red and a blue cd and thought that would be ok.

To me, this is clearly a mixup of two releases we already know, and as a result, this doesn’t deserver its own entry on spfreaks.com.

Arthur
      Spectator

I’m a bit surprised you don’t agree with my conclusion immediately though.[/quote:12ejtf7l]
      I agree immediately Cool. It doesn’t deserve it’s own entry indeed. I totally get what you mean.

okeliedokelie :wink:

Arthur
      Spectator

When I do new entries on SPfreaks, I will have it removed, in the meantime I have asked for a full refund + return item to seller. It comes from a professional Canadian seller (not on eBay) I have done business with before, so I’m sure we are going to solve this. Fingers crossed… :wink:

Viewing 9 reply threads

The forum ‘Collecting Items’ is closed to new topics and replies.