Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

manillascissor
      Spectator

Hello,

I was very excited this evening to find a copy of the Moon demo on eBay.

However, I have a niggling feeling about how genuine it is. If anyone cares to check it out:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SMASHING-PUM … 4173aaf021

And compare it, particularly the photo of the ‘B’ side to the photo from this website:

http://spfreaks.com/default.aspx?page=IMGVIEW&item=3737

My suspicion (and I stress, it is only a suspicion) is that the eBay one has essentially copied the label from the SPFreaks photo. The writing and layout, in my opinion, is too similar to the SPFreaks photo, yet not different enough to look like another handwritten example. Also, it has that, slow, pressed-down pen look about it to me.

Also the tape looks extremely similar, but slightly different (e.g. the little bubble/dot that is just below the window in the centre of the cassette shell on the SPFreaks photo is clearly within the window itself on the eBay one — I would imagine that if the same tapes are used for the same batch they would be identical in that respect)

I’d be very interested to know what others think….

I’m not out to besmirch this seller. I hope it is genuine. The J-card, etc looks very good to me. But ultimately it would be the handwriting that would be the hardest to fake, if indeed that’s what’s happened.

Arthur
      Spectator

It is my firm believe that it is fake, Woody. I think you can trust your initial guts feelings. Next to that, check the feedback of this seller… He is known for selling fake tapes. I discussed this Moon tape auction with a few friends outside this forum, and I send them this pic. SPfreaks tape on top, eBay tape bottom. Judge for yourself…

Woody_B_Myst
      Spectator

Thanks a lot Arthur. I appreciate your reply.

Very disappointing.

Arthur
      Spectator

Very disappointing.[/quote:ee0thz8w]
      Yeah, absolutely. My doubts started with the j-card however. It looks like it was recently printed at a print shop. But after I zoomed in on the handwriting, I exploded. The sticker hasn’t even aged! This seller should be reported to eBay.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

Very disappointing.[/quote:12bwzl62]
      Yeah, absolutely. My doubts started with the j-card however. It looks like it was recently printed at a print shop. But after I zoomed in on the handwriting, I exploded. The sticker hasn’t even aged! This seller should be reported to eBay.[/quote:12bwzl62]

already been done. but, as always, nothing will happen. kudos to woody for his keen eye

yes, well spotted.

isn’t the pink on the j-card supposed to have been coloured in by hand, with a marker? (on one of the copies on spfreaks.com, this side of the j-card is just white.)

manillascissor
      Keymaster

sold for $39. laughable.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

yes, well spotted.

isn’t the pink on the j-card supposed to have been coloured in by hand, with a marker? (on one of the copies on spfreaks.com, this side of the j-card is just white.)[/quote:1rlbpk5z]

who knows man. i sure don’t.

Viewing 7 reply threads

The forum ‘Collecting Items’ is closed to new topics and replies.