Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

marigold
      Spectator

No, it’s not April Fools Day, I guess. This is what he said yesterday on his Memorabilia Monday post.

\"So back to the tape: this odd compendium of songs I’d put together almost exclusively on my own, and which had songs aimed at what was to ‘be’ The Smashing Pumpkins early style; which was moody, gothic, and leaned heavily on straight a-b-a-b arrangements. Most of these numbers are forgettable, but that won’t stop me from sharing them with you soon enough, as transfers are almost complete of my 60+ 4-track demos tapes; and to that I plan on offering a multi-edition vinyl set which if I’m guessing correct will in the end have anywhere from 12 to 20 separate releases. So please do keep an eye out for those, as they’ll be releases this year.\"

A pleasant surprise, I must say. :)

Arthur
      Spectator

What are the odds the first of these releases will actually be this year?

To be honest, I’m not expecting any SP releases this year, besides the Adore reissue.

Those old demo releases sound cool though. I’m interested. Not extremely interested, as I also think most of those songs will be forgettable, but still. Bring it on!

marigold
      Spectator

Very nice!
      It may not involve as much ‘processing’ as the reissues, possibly similar to the AEGEA vinyl being recorded and pressed, which didn’t take long. Still, Billy has the Ravinia show, Adore Reissue release, Day for Night and other things to be busy with this year….which is probably a good thing if you’ve already bought AEGEA and the Adore Reissue. $$$

Sven
      Spectator

well… yeah that seems to be a lot…

but still: BC didn’t put a timeframe on this, so it might be spread over several years…

and: he didn’t say LP did he?
      now it might be LP’s but I gather that’s pushing things, a lot.
      i read it so that BC was implying a combination of 7\", 10\", 12\" and LP’s.
      maybe even only 7\"s somewhat like The Vault Jack White is maintaining.
      now 12 x 7\" of early TSP, BC-solo early stuff would amount to 24 tracks of pretty decent quality, plus say one LP for Nothing Ever Changes and one 10\" for the Chicago21 show…

pretty much looking forward to this a lot as there are quite some gems hidden there from those days.

Arthur
      Spectator

Yeah, my bets are on a bunch of 7\" and maybe one vinyl album. Although it are 60+ tapes, it is hard to imagine they contain (60*60)/4 = 900 different songs from 1987 – 1990. All tapes are transferred so the 25-50 songs (and I’m stretching it with that last number I think) that have a minimum of quality to be released, can be picked.

Sven
      Spectator

Yeah, my bets are on a bunch of 7" and maybe one vinyl album. Although it are 60+ tapes, it is hard to imagine they contain (60*60)/4 = 900 different songs from 1987 – 1990. All tapes are transferred so the 25-50 songs (and I’m stretching it with that last number I think) that have a minimum of quality to be released, can be picked.[/quote:emqrx2ui]

exactly!

Arthur
      Spectator

Some more info about this project from Billy.

\"Also, my next planned release will be the start of a multi-volume collection of home demos from 1985-1990, which, if those who work for me can be believed, has over 800 titles to consider. But a word of caution, as these ‘works’ are all over the place in terms of quality, etc, as I was just a kid of 18 when I started making my own recordings; and not only do my influences show a little too hard in places, but so do my inadequacies as a sound engineer. To help avoid confusion then over what would be on the records, short sound clips of every release will be made avail; as many are instrumental or ‘vibey’ in nature and may not appeal to everyone (I didn’t really start singing my own songs until I was 19). Comments from those that have heard them though are kind and positive, such as (and I’m paraphrasing) those from Jeff Schroeder of SP, who told me that ‘it’s cool to hear you piece together what would eventually become the band’s sound, even at such a young age.’ And pieces these are!

Since these tracks have yet to be mixed, and I’ve a lot to go through, I’d anticipate the first release to come sometime in the next 2-3 months, unless of course I decide to make some public offering before I have the vinyl in hand; in which case you’d hear the compilation of clips sooner rather than later. To that, expect a double or triple first set.\"

marigold
      Spectator

1985 Billy:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNaoGjfsjEw[/youtube]

:D

marigold
      Spectator

I wonder if this is still happening, and starting this year – seems like other things are taking priority (which I expected).

Note for BUGS/FIXES: I didn’t start this thread, and also: what happened to Arthur’s post? It looks blank to me.

marigold
      Spectator

Billy in 2015:  touring, wrestling, video-making, more touring, interviews, cat adopting, album recording….I don’t think this vinyl set will happen this year either. I think in general fans will be more interested in having a new album than a vinyl set of obscure recordings though. 😀

jammartinez760
      Spectator

I also think that that year was pretty good 🙂

Viewing 12 reply threads

The forum ‘General’ is closed to new topics and replies.