Viewing 34 reply threads
  • Author

bullettwoutbutterflywings
      Spectator

When I surf the net, I see lots of people making comparisons between Smashing Pumpkins and My Chemical Romance. You might even remember Billy joking about \"Around the time the Pumpkins formed in 1988 I fathered a child and now he’s the lead singer of My Chemical Romance\".

What I wanna know, what is the big deal about this? Check out these 3 videos of My Chemical Romance (viewed between 10,000,000 and 40,000,000 times already! Amazing!) and why are they compared to the Pumpkins?
      [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bbTtPL1jRs[/youtube]
      [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6EQAOmJrbw[/youtube]
      [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO9Lj0T93Xk[/youtube]

mcr :D
      the one single band who i love more than SP :lol:
      the similarities between them, to me anyway, are far and few between. not that comparisable really… but there are hints of a SP influence in them.

sorry superlord but disagree with ya. pumpkins win blocks ahead. this romance band is not bad, but also not as creative as pumpkins. also not that much into the newer rock bands except for system of a down see example vids
      [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI50Wv0HhUY[/youtube]
      [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8YluAMCRT8[/youtube]
      they rockkkkkk!!!!

umm… i dont want to start like a flaming war, but my following comment usually sparks them :?

when i say i preferred mcr over sp, i said I prefer them. im not saying they’re better or more creative. im just saying i like them more.

and SOAD are creative (and insane :lol: :\"the kombucha mushroom people/ sitting around all day/ who can believe YOU/ who can believe YOU/ when your mother praaaays// sugaaaaaaar\" :D :D :D) but they’re on hiatus at the moment :(

Arthur
      Spectator

That’s a good one BleedingTheOrchid, I like System Of A Down also. Chop Suey is 1 of my favourite songs of all times. (Another one I forgot in the Albums topic, sigh…). Nice video also. But the question is: My Chemical Romance or Smashing Pumpkins?

hey superlord i was only expressing my opinion ok. pumpkins over romance for me and if you like romance more, fine with me! :lol:

That’s a good one BleedingTheOrchid, I like System Of A Down also. Chop Suey is 1 of my favourite songs of all times. (Another one I forgot in the Albums topic, sigh…). Nice video also. But the question is: My Chemical Romance or Smashing Pumpkins?[/quote:2khvhuaa]
      pumpkins man pumpkins

Arthur
      Spectator

mcr :D
      the one single band who i love more than SP :lol:
      the similarities between them, to me anyway, are far and few between. not that comparisable really… but there are hints of a SP influence in them.[/quote:13xqbp4z]
      But I wonder why so many people start wars with them as a subject? I just don’t get it. To me they can’t be compared anyway… :?

SP or MCR… veeery hard choice for me. mcr have really helped out a lot in my life (personal stuff… dont wanna get into it) but SP… when i listened to siamese dream for the first time… i felt something amazing… it was actually how i’d always envisioned music to be – it was so damn perfect! also i’ve been connecting to the music a lot too. so at the mo, it’s still up in the air from over here :lol:

But I wonder why so many people start wars with them as a subject? I just don’t get it. To me they can’t be compared anyway… :?[/quote:21iqcmqm] because there are a lot of bullshit elitist pumpkinheads who get pissed off with mcr… why? because mcr are famous. thats about it. you’ll find a LOT of mcr haters put there. it always makes it interesting to be a die hard fan though :D

ah triple post :? not good… sorry.
      nevertheless, old school mcr, better? probably :D
      have a watch/listen

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtmQRIzJAL0[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5W9_0U7-o90[/youtube]

put a good chop suey on there the other one was not visible sorry

Arthur
      Spectator

ah triple post :? not good… sorry.
      nevertheless, old school mcr, better? probably :D
      have a watch/listen[/quote:22csp5cv]
      Haha no problem posting 3 times. I like this band indeed, but still I wouldn’t compare them to Smashing Pumpkins. Different sound, different style. And die-hard Pumpkins fans that flame them for being more popular, they must have a long list of bands to flame, as so many bands are more popular, or sell more records, or win more awards. What a waste of time, flaming a band because it’s more popular than your favourite band. Pffffff…

What a waste of time, flaming a band because it’s more popular than your favourite band. Pffffff…[/quote:19lf44by]
      exactly get a life

Haha no problem posting 3 times. I like this band indeed, but still I wouldn’t compare them to Smashing Pumpkins. Different sound, different style. And die-hard Pumpkins fans that flame them for being more popular, they must have a long list of bands to flame, as so many bands are more popular, or sell more records, or win more awards. What a waste of time, flaming a band because it’s more popular than your favourite band. Pffffff…[/quote:2rpqufxp] i think it has more to do with the fact that mcr are everywhere these days. seriously. they win music awards everywhere, they are high in the charts everywhere and headlining the donnington download festival didnt help either…
      i guess they’re annoyed at how they’re being shoved down their throats…

i guess they’re annoyed at how they’re being shoved down their throats…[/quote:2lc76awu]
      then switch off the damn tv and put on a cd or listen to ya ipod sp jukebox. come on! life isn’t about chemical romance only duhhhh

then switch off the damn tv and put on a cd or listen to ya ipod sp jukebox. come on! life isn’t about chemical romance only duhhhh[/quote:7nehaoeq] buuuut… they’re in every music magazine almost every issue. it can get annoying when it’s bands you dislike. i’m not sure why im defending the haters!

ah well ok maybe. i don’t read magazines so i dont notice actually i didnt know romance at all. kinda funny when you think of it. i call myself hardcore fan of pumpkins and still would not beat up other fans though they say sometimes things i don’t agree sometimes hurtfull. i consider every music lover fan like myself but other band. what else is there? get a life you haters :P

Arthur
      Spectator

I agree with BleedingTheOrchid yes.

I agree with BleedingTheOrchid yes.[/quote:1m6t4ovr]
      thanx

Alekflyfire
      Spectator

Initially, the \"link\" btw sp and mcr is that the Way brothers, (singer and bass) site sp as of one their main influences. When their second record hit (2004) they mentioned sp in a host of interviews. I know this ‘cuase my cousin who’s 12 was/is really into them and he asked me if the sp they were mentioning was my sp (my sp – so cute). So lazy music media – easy to compare them, and now with sp’s return, 90s bands v newer bands that sell records.

dont get the haters though, sure sp isnt selling MCIS era bucket loads, but i cant see it as an i’ll buy/support mcr and not sp or vice versa. Sonically not in the same ball park (GO CUBS)

SP 3rd record MCIS
      MCR 3rd record Black Parade

But their first record is great for a debut, quite raw and production is not so compressed as on Three Cheers or Black Parade.

So SP wins for mine

Alekflyfire
      Spectator

Superlordspamulon I just noticed your signature from vampires will never hurt us – love that line too
      early sunsets is my fave on IBYMBYBMYL

oh crap double post – sorry

Arthur
      Spectator

oh crap double post – sorry[/quote:2u0w1257]
      No problem Alekflyfire, we have no rules for that. Post as much or little about any subject (in the right forum) as you like.

Superlordspamulon I just noticed your signature from vampires will never hurt us – love that line too
      early sunsets is my fave on IBYMBYBMYL

oh crap double post – sorry[/quote:3ez06p02]
      hah yep :)
      vampires is awesome. i love that song, and i use that line as something of a signature :lol:
      it’s in my msn name… on anything i photoshop then make public (usually)… and so forth
      and early sunsets is AMAZING! it’s so beautiful and tragic and just awesome! i actually interpreted it’s story into a short story for G.C.S.E coursework in english :lol:
      Bullet’s has to be their best album by far… it’s my fave album over-all ever :D such a shame that their not playing any songs off of it any more, live :cry:

haha i lovce mcr. i’ve even got the three rare vinyl-only singles they released early in their career, and bid/got my dad to bid on the ultra rare (as in 100 printed and not all of thsoe made it to the public) promo, ‘Like Phantoms Forever’. but i lost :(

anyway…

ugh who could compare my chemical romance to the Pumpkins? I mean, sure, MCR has had a few songs but overall, at least to me they’re just overgrown emo kids. I can’t believe Gerard or whoever he is can compare himself… they are completely different animals… In my opinion, obviously SP wins by far.. MCR is just too emo for me. plus… this is a pumpkins site… doesn’t it seem obvious that most people would say the pumpkins?

Pipoka
      Spectator

MCR ? Not for me….

pierowmaniac
      Spectator

Sorry on the whole I dont like MCR.
      One or two songs of thier lattest album do show signs of creativness and possible better things to come. But I cant stand the earlier stuff at all.

ugh who could compare my chemical romance to the Pumpkins? I mean, sure, MCR has had a few songs but overall, at least to me they’re just overgrown emo kids. I can’t believe Gerard or whoever he is can compare himself… they are completely different animals… In my opinion, obviously SP wins by far.. MCR is just too emo for me. plus… this is a pumpkins site… doesn’t it seem obvious that most people would say the pumpkins?[/quote:14edw68s]

(sorry for the following hostility but this is a topic i am VERY hot on…)

MCR aren’t emo
      and if you’re calling them emo, sorry, you have no idea what emo is

emo is a genre that started in the late 80’s (yes, seriously) when NYC hardcore band Rites of Spring got bored with singing songs about killing the prez and started singing personal songs, songs that meant something to THEM. and the ‘more-hardcore-than-thou’ HC dudes started mocking and disregarding this movement, coining the term emo (as in emotive hardcore). this label died somewhere in the mid-90’s, but you can still find real emo bands in places. what’s being branded as emo these days (mcr, fall out boy, panic! at the disco etc.) are NOT emo, it was just some lazy journalist stealing a name.
      think of it as the alternative label. we ALL know how much of a catch-all-genre name that was, and it became meaningless, right? and that is sort of what this modern ’emo’ is, except with more negativity surrounding it.

and frankly, SP could be considered more emo than mcr. fact.
      mcr have songs that are very obviously trying to help a depressed youth, whilst also giving an outlet for the bands depression, but not whining.
      SP have some veeeery obviously ‘whiny’ songs, or songs that seem to conform to the stereotype of what an emo song should be. off the top of my head, ‘pink ribbon scars, that never forget’. a reference to :shock: shock! self harm!

so yes. please know what you’re talking about before you start criticisng/accusing or whatever.

*ahem* i’ll be nice now :) promise! :D

ghostchild1979
      Spectator

to me, there’s no comparison. SP hands down.

to me, MCR is just another fly by night one hit wonder that nobody will remember 10 years from now. I would agree that they’re not emo…..it’s way too \"poppy\" to be labeled that….I’ll go with….\"bubble gum emo.\" hehehehehe

there’s nothing about MCR that makes them stand out above any of the other thousands of cookie cutter radio rock bands in my book.

SP is so much more intelligent, musically superior, and just all around better.

Tree_Spirit
      Spectator

I’m sorry I DO NOT like MCR,panic at the disco,greenday or any other what i like to call poser rock bands of today.Are any of these bands better then the pumpkins? ….NOWAY..Give me old school rock & roll.The led,Pink Floyd,Bad Company,Boston,Bachman turner overdrive,Blue Oyster Cult.Love classic rock,they knew how to do it.Today’s rock in the most part,is a let down.Rarely in music today you fine a good band like the PUMPKINS,were it’s hard to even fine a favorite song when u listen to them.I have so many favorites of their’s it beyond belief..:D..Not to many bands in my book can hold that title. PUMPKINS<3

manillascissor
      Keymaster

I do like MCR. I like how Gerard reminds me of Billy. The resemblance is uncanny. I like when Gerard screams. Musically, not so much, but the Ghost of You song is an absolute gem. And Helena’s not bad. This whole Black Parade thing, I don’t get. What’s the big deal? It’s an album. It’s not that good. It has it’s moments I suppose, but what the fuck? It’s no MCIS. And I hate MCIS!

Shannen
      Spectator

Pumpkins! Pumpkins! Pumpkins! Roxx!!!!!!

Though I like MCR but I still prefer Pumpkins. I grew up listening to them. I think the most important thing is Pumpkins is still well known to the whole wide world after 2 decades. Not many could have actually done that – they could have either disbanded after a couple of years in the market and went solo or you would never hear from them anymore.

Agree with me?

An interesting pic:

toad32r
      Spectator

Well, ive listened to MCR for a few weeks now, trying to get a good feel for them. To me , idont really see many similarities at all. The drum parts are so much more…..basic than Pumpkins, the vocals have NO similar style, nor does the musics emotion. MCR doesnt seem bad at all, but not similar to SP.

i have heard mct on the radio, and they didn’t really stand out to me, and i watched the vids, and i don’t think that that boy sounds like billy, billy has such a unique voice (that i love forever and a day) and the music is so much more…..

………….. more everything.

so for me it will always be sp

but if you had a post sp or led zep, well then i might have a problem deciding.

ok my 2 cents are in.

Viewing 34 reply threads

The forum ‘General’ is closed to new topics and replies.