Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

Tion
      Spectator

i think… :lol:

I can’t read it, the pages that have youtube links don’t load.
      I was wondering if someone could post it here?
      I was able to read a little bit, but i’m tired to struggle with the browser….

Anyone please? :roll:

amnesia
      Spectator

Cool,ill try to look in to it. :wink:

Edit: Same problem here. :(

Anonymous
      Spectator

:? I don’t see any Billy news over there-just the magazine article picture..

Pipoka
      Spectator

😕 I don’t see any Billy news over there-just the magazine article picture..[/quote:v2ddin8m]

it’s the sunky article dear !

Anonymous
      Spectator

well since I read that yesterday-isn’t that old news, just being some quotes from some interviews in late 2008? Kinda like a review of the past 2-3 months? I thought it was a Billy blog you were all excited about..I mean this was great to read, but it’s stuff we already kinda knew right?

Pipoka
      Spectator

well since I read that yesterday-isn’t that old news, just being some quotes from some interviews in late 2008? Kinda like a review of the past 2-3 months? I thought it was a Billy blog you were all excited about..I mean this was great to read, but it’s stuff we already kinda knew right?[/quote:32n4snrd]

:lol: i don’t know because i can’t read! i just saw some sentences …

mr.benway
      Spectator

@pipoka & mayo:

Article from Sunky @ smashingpumpkins.com
      http://www.smashingpumpkins.com/pages/a … xt-chapter

2009: The Next Chapter

January 5, 2009 | 935 Views
      Before we turn that page to begin a new chapter of the Smashing Pumpkins story, I just want to wish everybody a ‘Happy New Year’ from the team here at SP.com. Its going to be an interesting year for us in Pumpkinland and after an eventful 2008, 2009 has a hard act to follow.

As covered in the articles posted during the final weeks of 2008 we were all reminded of just what a huge year last year was for the Smashing Pumpkins. This time last year we were all most likely thinking the same thing about 2008, how could it end up being more eventful than 2007?

2007 had everything we could ever want from the Pumpkins, or so we thought. There was the return, the album, the videos, the website and the world tours. To look back at January 2008 now all we had was American Gothic hitting the digital shelves of the iTunes music store, which would be followed up by a small tour to Europe, New Zealand, Australia and South America. I know some of us thought that would be it for the band. After touring for most of 2007 I was certain they’d take the rest of the year off because isn’t that what most bands do?

Soon we all discovered this isn’t what the Smashing Pumpkins had planned. From the various media interviews and fan conversations we were able to piece together a path the Pumpkins would follow for the next 12 months.

What originally seemed to be a quiet year, ended up being a truly eventful and memorable one. Before halfway through the year we had a general outline of what the rest of the year would hold. There would be a small US summer tour in August, a new song to be written, recorded and released, ‘If All Goes Wrong’ would see the light of day and finally the band would finish up with a 20th Anniversary tour, celebrating the 20 years of sadness.

It was this farewell message from Billy at the last show on the 20th Anniversary tour, at the Auditorium Theatre in Chicago, that really drove home the idea that this is really the end of a Smashing Pumpkins era; the end of the era we have known for the past two years, the definitive end of Zeitgeist.

\"This is the end of the entire Zeitgeist time period for me and Jimmy that began way
      back in November 05. So this is a long journey for us.\"

Just like any era of the Smashing Pumpkins, Zeitgeist is no doubt a mixed bag of views. In many places we’ve all talked and written about what this era has meant to us. To some it brought ‘our’ band back into our lives, to others it brought back a band we have out grown and to some they are questioning if they want to continue on this journey or not. Whatever section you might fall into you must give the credit to the Pumpkins. They returned with a plan and they’ve stuck to their guns to make sure that at the end of the day they are doing what they originally set out to do.

There was never a time where they caved to the public pressure to be ‘that’ reunion band that lived in the past and just played those hits. It would be during the final months of the Zeitgeist era where the band found themselves still answering the same questions, even after being a band again for over 18 months. So the record had to be set straight, on radio and at shows it was made loud and clear.

Jimmy Chamberlin: \"We are trying to represent what the band stands for and I think as we kind of challenge ourselves, we gotta challenge our audience too. We are all in this together, we move ahead together or we move backwards together. We are not really interested in moving backwards, we are more interested in pushing the envelope forward, seeing what sticks and seeing who comes with us.\" *

Billy Corgan: \"We never came back to do the reunion thing, this is not the reunion tour. We never said that, we never meant that. That just comes from outside.\" *

The reunion label has hopefully been laid to rest. The mainstream media is hopefully going to stop with that instant label when reviewing a concert or release from the band. We must all accept that is where we are now at the starting point of the next era of the Smashing Pumpkins story. It is easy to forget that this feeling of seeing a new era of the band unfold isn’t something that we’ve become accustomed.

The last few eras we experienced as fans have all ended without a follow up. Machina for the Smashing Pumpkins was not only the end of the era but also the end of the band as we knew it. In 2000 there was no encore and no next chapter for the Pumpkins. Even the post-Pumpkin projects of Zwan, TheFutureEmbrace and the Jimmy Chamberlin Complex have all ended without any second chapter. For the past 8 years we have experienced this recurring cycle. We fall in love with a new projects direction, sound and energy only to start all over again with something else. So no wonder we are sometimes confused as a fan base when we are not used to this stability in which we currently find ourselves surrounded. It is a foreign concept that we haven’t really experienced for a long time, but once you realise that there isn’t going to be an ending any time soon you can begin to let go of the past a lot easier than before.

So in the certainty that the future is definitely bright for the Smashing Pumpkins, it works well for both the band and the fans. From the interviews at the end of last year with Billy and Jimmy it’s pretty clear that they are in a good place with the Pumpkins, knowing that the next chapter is beginning and we know what we can possibly expect.

Matt Pinfield: \"After you do these anniversary shows, what are you guys planning on doing? Are going to actually sit down and make another record? Is there a bunch of stuff already written Billy?\" **

Billy Corgan: \"We are building a new studio now, and we are trying to figure out a way to release music in a new way and I just don’t mean on the internet. Like maybe there is a different way to release music, in terms of the pattern in which you release it and be more multimedia in how you release. So maybe an album will come out over time and it will come out in pieces, and them at some point assemble them and put that out in a different configuration. Not to ask a fan to put all their marbles in one place, and then love it or hate it and go away. I think that model is dead … there has to be a combination that gets people motivated, keeps us excited and moving forward. There must be new ways we can create new things that way.\" **

\"We were talking the other day, and this is a live thing, we were talking about going into a town and doing a four day event. The first night would be a dinner and a Q&A, the next we would play in essence a conventional concert, then maybe the third day it would be more like a ‘Storytellers’ type of thing and the fourth day we would play another concert. So a fan could buy a 4 day experience with us, a very intense experience with us … and then if you’re just a fan that wants to go one show then you can just buy the one show ticket.\" **

It is with brave new ideas like these that confirms the next chapter of the Smashing Pumpkins will be a prosperous era. There are no set ‘deadlines’ or ‘expectations’ for this year, we’ll just see where it takes us. We’ve been told we’ll get new music, but it is more about ‘how’ will we receive this new music. That is where the excitement lies for us all, to see how it unfolds and in turn to see how it is received. With a line up of musicians that have formed a strong musical kinship over the past two years combined with the freedom of being away from a major record label, 2009 will hopefully be both a prosperous and pivotal year in the story of the Smashing Pumpkins.

Until the plans start to develop and unfold we may have some quiet times ahead but remember – good things come to those who wait. This quiet time does not mean that the SP community and SP.com will be quiet though. The PMM writers will be here as usual to keep you entertained with discussion of topics from the past, present and future. Your personal blogs and discussion around the site will provide assistance to us all. However, even more exciting is that during this time some of those ‘coming soon’ features on the home page will be happening soon enough.

So catch your breath, reflect on the end of the Zeitgeist era, enjoy the down time and rest in anticipation for what is to happen in 2009.

Sunky

Quotes taken from:
      * – Elliot in the Morning from DC101
      ** – Matt Pinfield from 101.9 RXP

[/quote:29xrti1t]

Pipoka
      Spectator

Thank you Mr.Benway! :)

Well regaee was correct, it’s not a new interview as i thought :(
      Let’s see how the new features will work. I just hope that the so-wanted-forum will not turn to be another satans place !
      On the other hand, i think they should be concerned to fix some problems before puting out the new features.

amnesia
      Spectator

Thanks mister. :wink:

blueczarina
      Spectator

i hope he does a new one soon. :wink: and yes, thanks for posting that.

Tion
      Spectator

…..a dinner with the pumpkins?? OMG!!

Viewing 10 reply threads

The forum ‘General’ is closed to new topics and replies.