Viewing 35 reply threads
  • Author

Doubtful-Della
      Spectator

I wrote this on my blog at smashingpumpkins.com but thought I’d share my feelings here too

Its amazing how small this experience has made me feel. Everybody is good at something, completely faithful at it…

I realized just how \"small\" of a Smashing Pumpkins fan I am compared to some of the people out there. In the recent weeks I’ve come across people who have these huge collections of rare materials; Every SP song recorded, demoed, or performed live. They have this immense knowledge of SP History, along with a past filled with SP concert attendance.

I’m very impressed with the dedication and love of the SP fans. It’s true love, not just a fleeting craze where you buy their merch and then a few years later sell it at a yard sale. Once you become a pumpkin, you will always be a pumpkin. There’s a familiarity and sense of camaraderie among one another. I just can’t believe that I wasn’t a part of it sooner!

manillascissor
      Keymaster

Interesting, the part of once a pumpkin, always a pumpkin. It overtook me too. ;)

Doubtful-Della
      Spectator

Interesting, the part of once a pumpkin, always a pumpkin. It overtook me too. ;)[/quote:pqwho37z]

I’ve loved other bands, been on their forums and websites and street clubs…. but there’s never been anything as powerful as Smashing Pumpkin’s fans

amnesia
      Spectator

Well said Della.Ive been a SP fan for 10 years, since Adore periode but ive never collect anything besides albums, but now im a real collector been that for7 months or so, and i sometimes ask myself why i never thougt about collecting back in 1998.I love the band, i love the music they create i think of myself as a hardcore SP fan like everybody else in here.. :wink:

Doubtful-Della
      Spectator

i think of myself as a hardcore SP fan like everybody else in here.. :wink:[/quote:25wfx6qn]

I have a lot of catching up to do :)

Anonymous
      Spectator

i think of myself as a hardcore SP fan like everybody else in here.. :wink:[/quote:3p54xcfr]

I have a lot of catching up to do :)[/quote:3p54xcfr] :lol:
      yes you do ;)

They just ignite something inside your mind, body and soul

They just ignite something inside your mind, body and soul[/quote:2hqu8gws]

this is true! and i love the "once a pumpkin always a pumpkin" that is why i want the sp heart tattooed on me! so i can have the ultimate collector’s item :lol: and i can have it with me always :)

Arthur
      Spectator

I’m very impressed with the dedication and love of the SP fans. It’s true love, not just a fleeting craze where you buy their merch and then a few years later sell it at a yard sale. Once you become a pumpkin, you will always be a pumpkin. There’s a familiarity and sense of camaraderie among one another. I just can’t believe that I wasn’t a part of it sooner![/quote:3jq2tg80]
      I tried several doctors, I even did brain surgery, electro shocks and rebirth therapy, but nothing helped.

And then, to think of it, it all started with listening to Disarm… tsss… :lol:

Doubtful-Della
      Spectator

I’m very impressed with the dedication and love of the SP fans. It’s true love, not just a fleeting craze where you buy their merch and then a few years later sell it at a yard sale. Once you become a pumpkin, you will always be a pumpkin. There’s a familiarity and sense of camaraderie among one another. I just can’t believe that I wasn’t a part of it sooner![/quote:f2nihrba]
      I tried several doctors, I even did brain surgery, electro shocks and rebirth therapy, but nothing helped.

And then, to think of it, it all started with listening to Disarm… tsss… :lol:[/quote:f2nihrba]

hahahaha….
      Disarm was my first too! I actually have video of the first time that I really noticed it and fell in love with the song. (I’d heard SP before, but never payed attention)

There’s a familiarity and sense of camaraderie among one another.[/quote:1h0opvwd]
      Whilst this sounds kinda corny – said for the sake of sounding deep and insightful, making us sound better than we actually are, fuck if it isn’t true.

Twice i’ve had some random guy (one guy serving me at Subway, and another guy at a restaurant) start chatting to me because I was wearing an SP shirt. It was awesome both times. The only other time I’ve had a reaction like this when I was high-fived by a stranger at the Reading Festival cuz I was wearing a Cradle Of Filth t-shirt.

Anonymous
      Spectator

I wonder if you SP stranger has been on the main site before? or that other distasteful site

Doubtful-Della
      Spectator

Twice i’ve had some random guy (one guy serving me at Subway, and another guy at a restaurant) start chatting to me because I was wearing an SP shirt. It was awesome both times. [/quote:3bvb2i1m]

My husband and I know that feeling. I’ve had that experience only with Smashing Pumpkins and Weezer. I have tons of other band/concert T-shirts though; No Doubt, New Found Glory, Dashboard Confessional, Bright Eyes, Blink 182, Brand New etc…. but nobody has ever stopped to talk to me about those ones!

blueczarina
      Spectator

the pumpkins are just more special :wink:

niteshyft
      Spectator

It’s odd the amount of fans out there that go \"deeper then the albums\" so to speak for SP. Being around the online communities for well over 10 years (ugh I feel ancient) and still being friends with quite a few of them from way back then. It’s just a weird comradery between us that I have only seen in the same light with wrestling. It seems that everyone watched wrestling (WWE stuff) at some point in their life and had a favorite guy. They may hate it now, but when you talk about the stuff they watched, they look back on it fondly. Same goes with SP. Fans that lost some of their gusto over time, when you bring up their favorite albums when they loved the band will still swell with pride about it.

I’ve had more occasions then I can count with meeting other fans merely based on myself or them wearing an SP shirt, patch or other indicator. It’s like that’s the ice breaker right there and just mentioning the band to the other and you’re already friends. Talking to other fans is almost half the reason I love going to the shows. Hearing the enthusiasm when they talk about the songs and setlists. Personal experiences they’ve had and such. It’s just kinda rewarding to me personally to know that others share those special moments with the band just as much as I do.

blueczarina
      Spectator

i never see any SP fans where i live. it would cool if i did though.

Doubtful-Della
      Spectator

i never see any SP fans where i live. it would cool if i did though.[/quote:3gv4pi0s]

Do you live in the north pole? ;)

blueczarina
      Spectator

i never see any SP fans where i live. it would cool if i did though.[/quote:32zyz1ov]

Do you live in the north pole? ;)[/quote:32zyz1ov]

nope, just not a very pumpkiny state :o

Anonymous
      Spectator

Poor Blue :cry: I feel for you

one time someone heard my ringtone (today) and we started talking sp :)

Doubtful-Della
      Spectator

one time someone heard my ringtone (today) and we started talking sp :)[/quote:1pjtydj1]

That’s sweet. My husband’s ringtone is normally always SP (it’s "We Only Come Out At Night" right now) and normally my friends get really annoyed when I am texting back and forth with him, so I have to change it every few weeks or months so that my friends don’t all hate SP!

Doubtful-Della
      Spectator

Hey that would be a cool addition to the site. User made ringtones that we could submit and download!

blueczarina
      Spectator

Poor Blue :cry: I feel for you[/quote:1tlholv7]

i know-*cries fake tears* :cry: lol

you know what is bad, when i saw you fake crying fake tears i thought of pokemon, that is a move mawhile makes. that is so sad that i thought of that, and even know it.

blueczarina
      Spectator

you know what is bad, when i saw you fake crying fake tears i thought of pokemon, that is a move mawhile makes. that is so sad that i thought of that, and even know it.[/quote:1uknncjf]

:lol:

Kuumar
      Spectator

I work with the only other Hardcore SP fan I know in Fort Worth, even Texas. I have not met anyone else. You know, riverandsky?

It’s so amazing diving into everything past the albums, demos, pre-gish, mashed potatoes, psycho tapes…. the list can go on. theres enough music for a life time and more being made. I was only 17 when I first heard of the pumpkins back in 05. I thought they were gay (*gasp* heresy, haha) but then I started really listening, and here I am with over 40 cds of them, a box set, learned 20 songs by them on guitar (they are the reason I learned the guitar at the age of 18) I went to my first concert in gran prairie, tx nokia theatre. I could not believe it.

Look at me now….

I’ve never had such a strong feeling for a band, ever in my life. I know i’m only 20, haha, but, wow, something deep inside me tells me the love for this band will never be topped. Thank God for the Smashing Pumpkins and for helping me in tough times. I love you Billy, James, Jimmy, D’arcy, Jeff, Ginger, Lisa, Matt, Jonathan, Melissa, anyone having to contribute to the pumpkins. :mrgreen:

manillascissor
      Keymaster

this might sound really strange, but the pumpkins are kind of a personal experience for me. i don’t share them w/ just anyone, because i’m so deeply into them, i don’t want people to think i’m a freak (besides you guys).

but even listening to the songs, i only like listening to them alone, for the most part. i don’t like sharing the experience with others.

weird huh?

Anonymous
      Spectator

No Manilla it’s not weird. I feel like not sharing them sometimes too. And they are very personal to me as well. Some people know I am a SP freak and some don’t. Listening to them gives me a comfort of ‘home’ feeling. They inspire me, they make me happier, they fulfill my body with a feeling I just can not explain! i won’t stop myself speaking about the band, but when I want to listen I really don’t want to share that experience to much outside of my box per say. I need it for my consumption at the time for whatever it is I need from the music with no interruptions..Like now..it for my pleasure only and no one can hear it but me. Of course everyone knows what’s on my ipod :wink:
      what can I say but, Thank God for this band, I love em so

Pipoka
      Spectator

i share the same feeling.
      some people know, some people don’t know and i like to keep it that way.
      i’m not confortable when people make jokes about it. if they are my friends that’s ok, they are really joking and i know they respect me… but when is other people i don’t really know if they are being sincere or are joking with me and inside they are thinking *what a freak*…

once i gave my mp3 to my college professor because he had some things to give me for my investigation work… and he saw that 90% of my musics were sp musics. it was cool that he said that he liked the pumpkins too but only til adore… and i had zwan, and bc music as well and he said he is not a fan. til here everything is ok…
      but then, when we had to work together, he made some jokes about it and i was not confortable at all…
      it’s hard to explain, but i just did an \"yellow\" smile because i didn’t want to share my opinions and feelings about the pumpkins with him…

so i understand you guys

Anonymous
      Spectator

and that is why we are here cuz we are the SPfreaks 8)

amnesia
      Spectator

and that is why we are here cuz we are the SPfreaks 8)[/quote:p8ixu49k]

Amen to that Reggae :wink:

Anonymous
      Spectator

ok weird story…back when I signed up for SP.com and was searching for anything pumpkin related to read online I stumbled upon this site. When I clicked the link my heart skipped a beat, dropped to my stomach,whatever you want to call it. It was like a vampire done sucked me in, but thought I can’t get on this site. Then when the writing job came out and I remember Arthur posting his and I posted mine and in a thread was a link to this site so I came back…and eventually made a name that I didn’t like and then ended up using my current user name because people were telling me how great this site was. So I figured I didn’t want too much name confusion from SP.com and here so I use the same name. I knew from the day I stumbled upon this site that it was special by the feeling i felt listed above :)
      What can I say…I’m a proud SPfreak :D

Doubtful-Della
      Spectator

I’m always burning SP mixes for people. They’ll say, \"I only know a couple songs\" or \"yeah, 1979 is good, but that’s all I know\"

I don’t mind sharing. And I don’t mind if they don’t like it. My friends just know I have different musical tastes than them, and they appreciate me for it. I don’t care if they don’t get it or don’t like it, or make fun of it. It doesn’t change my love or opinion and it never will.

My favorite person to share it with is my husband. I love going for a car ride, and listening to the pumpkins. He’ll talk me through lyrics that I can’t make out. He knows guitar, so he’ll tell me all sorts of facts about how the song is played.

Seriously, sharing the SP with him brings us so close together. The night we went to the concert has been the happiest that we’ve been together in a long time. It was definitely the best day of my life after my wedding. Not just because I was in the front seeing Billy up close and personal. Not just because I had their music coursing through my veins live. But because I was sharing that experience with the one person in the world I truly love, and he was sharing it with me.

Anonymous
      Spectator

I’m always burning SP mixes for people. They’ll say, "I only know a couple songs" or "yeah, 1979 is good, but that’s all I know"

I don’t mind sharing. And I don’t mind if they don’t like it. My friends just know I have different musical tastes than them, and they appreciate me for it. I don’t care if they don’t get it or don’t like it, or make fun of it. It doesn’t change my love or opinion and it never will.

My favorite person to share it with is my husband. I love going for a car ride, and listening to the pumpkins. He’ll talk me through lyrics that I can’t make out. He knows guitar, so he’ll tell me all sorts of facts about how the song is played.

Seriously, sharing the SP with him brings us so close together. The night we went to the concert has been the happiest that we’ve been together in a long time. It was definitely the best day of my life after my wedding. Not just because I was in the front seeing Billy up close and personal. Not just because I had their music coursing through my veins live. But because I was sharing that experience with the one person in the world I truly love, and he was sharing it with me.[/quote:3m6d1zi6]

I was sitting by myself at the show…My hubby and my brother were sitting together. It was better that way..LOL..I was dancing around like crazy at the show-like them disco dancers on the scream awards :lol: almost. I would smacked him in the face from my movements :lol:
      I had a better seat and sat next to some woman from France who spoke fluent French, was kinda neat to be by someone who was from another country!!! well there was a seat in between us, but it was still cool! And she was beautiful and was smiling proud the whole night!

blueczarina
      Spectator

this might sound really strange, but the pumpkins are kind of a personal experience for me. i don’t share them w/ just anyone, because i’m so deeply into them, i don’t want people to think i’m a freak (besides you guys).

but even listening to the songs, i only like listening to them alone, for the most part. i don’t like sharing the experience with others.

weird huh?[/quote:1bdkizx1]

thats not wierd at all. i feel the same way. it does seem more like a personal thing especially since their music means so much to me. and i always listen to them alone and i keep all my posters and sp stuff to myself. i just don’t like sharing them because it really is a personal thing and for me there is something transcendent about their music. it just goes beyond all the other stuff i like in terms of the meaning behind it, the atmosphere, the emotion- everything.

my family actually doesn’t know i like the pumpkins. in fact i rarely talk about them to those around me because they wouldn’t get it. plus they probably just think they are some old grunge band from the 90’s that doesn’t matter anymore :roll: or that they are lame or crap. in fact my mom picked up my mail once and i had a package- a pumpkin poster. and the person who sent it wrote smashing pumpkins on the end of the tube and my mom was all like "what the heck is that- it sounds retarded whatever it is. thats not what you bought is it?" :roll:

so basically i only discuss them with you guys and thepumpkin.netters and what not. at least you guys understand this feeling that comes with the whole pumpkin experience. and for that i’m kind of glad. its nice to talk to others who have a similar feeling and understanding of what makes the pumpkins as special as they are.

well i am the compete oposite, i shove them in everyones faces, i play them loud and proud. if they don’t like it i tell them to go f*ck themselves.

i show everyone my new stuff i get, and if they roll there eyes i slap them. so no one rolls thier eyes. and if (god forbid) any one says anything bad about them, oh watch out, i come out fighting, don’t insult sp in my presance ever! with a capital E.

but the connection with the music i keep that to myself, most people know i think sp is kick ass all the way, but the quitness of it i keep to me.

Doubtful-Della
      Spectator

I have had a bad experience with family vs Pumpkins. At my wedding our master of ceremonies took it upon himself to go through my music and he took out anything that he didn’t approve us as wholesome music. Since Billy dresses weird… all of a sudden the music isn’t \"good enough\" HAHAHA. I knew that he didn’t like Smashing Pumpkins ahead of time, so when I made my list I even wrote \"SP\" instead of Smashing Pumpkins, hoping that he wouldn’t notice. But he did, so SP got wiped from my wedding list. I didn’t go against him because he was my husband’s uncle, but I was pissed. The other reason I didn’t fight it… is because I didn’t know any of this happened until the day of the wedding and I asked why a song wasn’t playing and my DJ showed me all the X’s on my list. My MC didn’t even run the changes by ME, he just handed them straight to the DJ who figured that I must have approved it.

We were supposed to cut the cake to \"Today\" and instead we had to replace it at the last second. He questioned the lyric \"pink ribbon scars that never forget\" (that sounds like a cutter! It must be evil!) I let my DJ (who was one of my best friends) pick a song and his favorite artist is Janet Jackson… so we cut the cake to some lame JJ song. *rolls eyes* (Our MC also cut out Evanescence just because he said she dressed like Marylin Manson) I think the \"normal\" people are more strange than the people who dress freaky. Now every time I go visit them I want to wear my ZERO shirt so badly just for revenge. But I don’t. It’s been 5 years and it still hurts.

But with my mom… she’s kind of new to computers and the internet… so I make you YouTube everything. She asks me all sorts of SP questions because she knows how much they mean to me. She never makes fun. The only thing that I heard her say before she knew how much I love them is, \"his voice is kind of whiny don’t you think?\" :roll: I just smiled and said, \"I think it’s hot.\" I brought up that conversation recently with her… and she doesn’t even remember saying it. People can be \"mean\" without even knowing it. They don’t really mean it.

Viewing 35 reply threads

The forum ‘General’ is closed to new topics and replies.