Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

Cool As Ice Cream
      Keymaster

For those in the know, and who have been following this curious item on other boards as well as this one, I received it today in the mail. I’ve had a chance to compare it to the original promotional 7\". Here are my findings. No pictures yet, btw, those will hopefully come tomorrow:

1) The test press is identical to the 7\" promo. The length of the groove (song length) are identical, and the run-off groove has exact same pattern.

2) The test press has \"Today\" inscribed on both sides in the run-off groove, just like the 7\" promo, and in the exact same handwriting.

3) The white paper is very securely adhered to the center of the test press record. The paper is thicker than the 7\" sticker, which was factory pressed and very smooth/slim.

4) The words \"TEST PRESSED\" are also inscribed on both sides in the run-off groove, but quite obviously not by the same person that inscribed \"Today\".

To put most of my fears about whether or not this item is real behind me, I peeled back the white paper from inside the jukebox hole about a 1/4\". If fake, I was expecting to see the original label there, with the white paper masking it. When I peered under the paper, all I saw was black and the glue. I’d like to get a picture of this, but, this may prove next to impossible, for obvious reasons (lighting, angles, definition, only have two hands). However, I guess just take my word for it.

Conclusion, I believe this record to be genuine. I believe the person who received it (be it a plant worker or a DJ, as described by the seller during the auction) took it upon themselves to inscribe \"TEST PRESS\" into the run-off groove, as it’s clearly different from the other inscriber. I’m not sure about when the white paper was adhered. It was obviously not done by a machine, but may have been done at the plant. It is very thouroughly secured, not spot glued or anything like that. I had an extremely hard time peeling it back. And, like most white label promos, who knows who wrote \"Today\" and \"Smashing Pumpkins\" on the white paper.

In search of more proof, I also found this record from the Dire Straits, for sale online right now by the same seller:

1) The test press is identical to the 7" promo. The length of the groove (song length) are identical, and the run-off groove has exact same pattern.

2) The test press has "Today" inscribed on both sides in the run-off groove, just like the 7" promo, and in the exact same handwriting.[/quote:2q6jocqw]
      excellent. this is a good sign.

the shoddy looking dire straits WLP indeed makes it very unlikely that someone is making his own WLPs by replacing the labels.

i find it a bit weird that someone inscribed "test pressed" on both sides though. is this common?
      what makes you think the owner did this? why would he do such a thing? my (wild) guess would be that it was added at the record plant, or at the record label. you know, before it was given away to the dj.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

1) The test press is identical to the 7" promo. The length of the groove (song length) are identical, and the run-off groove has exact same pattern.

2) The test press has "Today" inscribed on both sides in the run-off groove, just like the 7" promo, and in the exact same handwriting.[/quote:1fs1z442]
      excellent. this is a good sign.

the shoddy looking dire straits WLP indeed makes it very unlikely that someone is making his own WLPs by replacing the labels.

i find it a bit weird that someone inscribed "test pressed" on both sides though. is this common?
      what makes you think the owner did this? why would he do such a thing? my (wild) guess would be that it was added at the record plant, or at the record label. you know, before it was given away to the dj.[/quote:1fs1z442]

If this were the case, why is it in different handwriting? That’s my only problem w/ that theory…

well, like you suggest, it’s done by different people.
      i don’t see why that would be unlikely. i have vinyls with different inscriptions done in different handwriting. and they didn’t have previous owners.

EAZYE121
      Spectator

So just to verify about the today 7\" you bought is that it is the test pressing for the \"made in philippines\" promo 7\" that you see on ebay once in a while?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Philippines-Smashin … dZViewItem

manillascissor
      Keymaster

Yes, it’s the test press for the promo, which you’ve linked to.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

well, like you suggest, it’s done by different people.
      i don’t see why that would be unlikely. i have vinyls with different inscriptions done in different handwriting. and they didn’t have previous owners.[/quote:26lovrtc]

Yeah, good point. Maybe you are right.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

So I have photos of both of my versions (promo and test press). Was gonna post them to show the identical \"Today\" inscription, but the inscription doesn’t show up. Even scanned it in at 200%. Not sure what to do. Are these photos even relevant anymore? Anyone care to see them?

If no, I’ll just send the proper scans onto spfreaks.

yeah, the inscription is difficult to make a scan or picture from.
      on scans it simply doesn’t show up. but you might be able to capture it on photograph.

this is how i do it with my father’s digital camera: there’s a little wheel you can use to select a \"setting\". some settings are landscapes (far away), portraits (average distance), and then also two settings for items that are close and very close. you really need these if you want to make a picture of something that is very nearby, or the image will end up very blurry.
      i choose close or very close and then make a picture from right above the vinyl. you might need to try a couple of angles, in combination with different directions of where light comes from.

of course, if the inscriptions aren’t very deep, and even hard to see with the naked eye, this will make everything harder.

on the other hand, if you say they’re the same, then that’s all we need to know, right? pictures of the inscriptions wouldn’t add much to what we already know. so why do all the effort.

Viewing 8 reply threads

The forum ‘Collecting Items’ is closed to new topics and replies.