Viewing 32 reply threads
  • Author

Arthur
      Spectator

Sven, this is one for you :wink: Any thoughts?

The bonus disc surely made me happy again!

Sven
      Spectator

will get back to you on this one as i still need to get the deluxe cd and the vinyl :)

milan
      Spectator

Actually checking the SPFreaks forum to check for Sven’s comments on the PI deluxe release… hurry up dude!

Jeroen, did you hear the 2012 remix? Actually a major change to the original mix. Not like the 2011 Starla remix where changes were minor imo.

Extended outro with Billy screaming his guts out is nice :-)

jgfox
      Spectator

Jeroen, did you hear the 2012 remix? Actually a major change to the original mix. Not like the 2011 Starla remix where changes were minor imo.

Extended outro with Billy screaming his guts out is nice :-)[/quote:1homlxpi]

I sure did, hence the mentioning of this particular track…

Cannot call this a remix, because it really does sound that different, compared to the original.

Sven
      Spectator

@JGFox

this afternoon the LP and deluxe cd will be mine and i will let you know my thoughts.

Sven
      Spectator

Actually checking the SPFreaks forum to check for Sven’s comments on the PI deluxe release… hurry up dude!

Extended outro with Billy screaming his guts out is nice :-)[/quote:3bo9ayak]

coming up sir, first a job interview to do, then get the records and then there will be the evaluation :)
      will be getting the LP for the hi-fidelity of the initial record and of course the deluxe edition for the bonusses.
      it still sucks they decided to not put those out on vinyl though…

Sven
      Spectator

The Glynis question:

on first listen (based on a FLAC file of Glynis):
      – this is another take (or pieced together from several takes)
      – there’s a very clear acoustic guitar absent from the original version
      – the drum sounds more up front
      – there’s a couple of BC vocal inflections not on the original
      – BC’s YEAH is VERY different and the timinig of the break seems shorter
      – the sitarsolo is much louder (and panned HARD to one channel only)
      – James kinda fucks up the wah-wah solo so the band kicks in again pretty soon (some seconds early?)
      – the ‘scream’ towards in the end is missing in the original
      – the ‘screams’and ‘laughs’ at the very end are missing in the original

all in all:
      i think they found the master reels for this recording.
      normally a band like TSP would track a song multiple times on record.
      i think in 2012 BC and co pieced together a new mix from several reels.
      in any case: this is not just a different ‘mix’ per se, this also includes material not present in the original (or that would have been buried very very very low in the original mix, which was kinda muddy to start with, but i can hardly believe these were mixed down so far back then and pulled up front now. )
      this sounds like a new Glynis to me.

Sven
      Spectator

by the way: they REALLY pumped up There It Goes… :O

Sven
      Spectator

Purr Snickety is still in MONO :)

Sven
      Spectator

Slunk is the one from Earphoria, 99,99% sure.

Why Am I So Tired is the one from Earphoria, 99,99% sure.

Sven
      Spectator

the levels on Slunk (live) are pretty much boosted high up in this new mastering… :)

jgfox
      Spectator

hello?!

Did a quick side-by-side compare… it’s (almost) the same track, only with a different mix. Sounds like BC fooled us :roll:

All the guitar parts are there already in the 1993 Glynis, but buried deep, very deep in the mix, because the bass part is mixed up front. This was altered in the 2012 Glynis; bass in the back, vocals and guitar up front.

The ‘spacey effect’ at ~1:35 got lost in the 2012 Glynis, that’s why we hear an additional BC ‘yeah’.

Only at the end of the track (at ~3:50) the vocals are clearly different.

have you guys compared plume to the original release?

Sven
      Spectator

hello?!

Did a quick side-by-side compare… it’s (almost) the same track, only with a different mix. Sounds like BC fooled us :roll:

All the guitar parts are there already in the 1993 Glynis, but buried deep, very deep in the mix, because the bass part is mixed up front. This was altered in the 2012 Glynis; bass in the back, vocals and guitar up front.

The ‘spacey effect’ at ~1:35 got lost in the 2012 Glynis, that’s why we hear an additional BC ‘yeah’.

Only at the end of the track (at ~3:50) the vocals are clearly different.[/quote:2e9zgg7u]

Nicely done Jeroen!!! Thanks.

jgfox
      Spectator

have you guys compared plume to the original release?[/quote:387yklod]

Not yet, but will do because at first listen the intro of the 2012 Plume did raise my eyebrows :shock:

Sven
      Spectator

have you guys compared plume to the original release?[/quote:2jyd99x6]

Not yet, but will do because at first listen the intro of the 2012 Plume did raise my eyebrows :shock:[/quote:2jyd99x6]

same hear, with the small "wheep" sound of an amp in the beginning is very much louder than I have known, on the vinyl it’s ever much louder.

i listened to my cd, and they used a different vocal take on plume. at least on some parts of the song. it’s very obvious. it sounds unfamiliar. weird.

so far, we could’ve done the entire thread in dutch. :)

manillascissor
      Keymaster

:lol:

jgfox
      Spectator

i listened to my cd, and they used a different vocal take on plume. at least on some parts of the song. it’s very obvious. it sounds unfamiliar. weird.[/quote:3eswqvab]

The mix, the intro and the lyrics are different…

The lyrics in the booklet are cleary for the 1994 Plume. Read them while listening to the 2012 Plume and you will notice that the lyrics are ‘swapped’ in some kind of way:

1994 Plume: ‘gotta play’ in first verse, ‘what a waste’ in the second verse, ‘give enough’ in first verse, ‘give a fuck’ in second verse;
      2012 Plume: ‘gotta play’ in both verses, ‘give a fuck’ in both verses.

Besides that, the 2012 Plume misses the repeating outro lyrics ‘bring me down’.

milan
      Spectator

i listened to my cd, and they used a different vocal take on plume. at least on some parts of the song. it’s very obvious. it sounds unfamiliar. weird.[/quote:3qiwajqh]

The lyrics in the booklet are cleary for the 1994 Plume. Read them while listening to the 2012 Plume and you will notice that the lyrics are ‘swapped’ in some kind of way:

1994 Plume: ‘gotta play’ in first verse, ‘what a waste’ in the second verse, ‘give enough’ in first verse, ‘give a fuck’ in second verse;

Besides that, the 2012 Plume misses the repeating outro lyrics ‘bring me down’.[/quote:3qiwajqh]

Could there have been a fuck up where the 2011 Plume on Gish Deluxe should have been this 2012 mix, because there were hardly any changes there, right?

Arthur
      Spectator

I wish I could contribute to this ‘Dutchies only’ topic, but I did not receive my SPRC order yet, with the shirt. :lol:

I burned the Smashing Pumpkins 1989 demo tape tracks download on cd however, and I fully enjoy them, playing them over and over! Not much remastering done on them however, it seems.

jupiter
      Spectator

so far, we could’ve done the entire thread in dutch. :)[/quote:1npzqnyw]

….but i’m glad you didn’t! :)

marigold
      Spectator

so far, we could’ve done the entire thread in dutch. :)[/quote:1hd9wrbu]

most likely because the rest of us haven’t got it yet!

Sven
      Spectator

i listened to my cd, and they used a different vocal take on plume. at least on some parts of the song. it’s very obvious. it sounds unfamiliar. weird.[/quote:2c513y20]

Besides that, the 2012 Plume misses the repeating outro lyrics ‘bring me down’.[/quote:2c513y20]

correct sir, also seems to have a slightly different Iha-guitarpart…

Sven
      Spectator

vinyl has the same version of Plume; which differs from the one from the original PI.

Sven
      Spectator

so this PLUME version is a fuck up?
      i mean: the album is supposed to be remastered but the same as the original; this is a different version of the same song…

is there more discussion online about this than just these Dutch-speaking \"freaks\"… :)

i’m curious as to if there are versions of the cd, deluxe cd/dvd/box and vinyl are out there with the original PLUME?

Arthur
      Spectator

is there more discussion online about this than just these Dutch-speaking "freaks"… :)[/quote:3bsuo57r]
      Nobody buys this sh*t in the US and elsewhere, unless this release gets your stamp of approval, Sven… :wink:

Kidding of course, but the Dutch have always been fans of Pisces Iscariot, it had a Dutch pressing even! I still remember getting it as a present from a friend from France, when we were in Paris in 1995. Even there the music store (FNAC, if I remember well) had the Dutch pressing in the shelves!

I’m still awaiting my Pisces Iscariot reissue deluxe package, however. It has to be delivered from the US I’m sure, since it will contain the ‘limited’ demo tape shirt. After that I will join the discussion, I’m sure. :)

milan
      Spectator

so this PLUME version is a fuck up?
      i mean: the album is supposed to be remastered but the same as the original; this is a different version of the same song…

is there more discussion online about this than just these Dutch-speaking "freaks"… :)

i’m curious as to if there are versions of the cd, deluxe cd/dvd/box and vinyl are out there with the original PLUME?[/quote:3r2rs48s]

Bram, any reports from what’s going on at the other fora? Could this be a fuck up?

it is being discussed on other messageboards. the threads are very long though; having multiple discussions at the same time.

i don’t know what actually happened. one thing i’ve heard is that some of the digital releases have replaced the reissued plume with a version that sounds like the ’94 plume, but is a bit \"louder\". that makes it look as if it was a fuck up, and they tried to correct it for the downloads.

monty also mentioned that \"a fix is in the works\". but i’m not sure if that’s related to the different version of plume, or the other problems that have been mentioned. they’ve found glitches in some songs, incorrect tracking on disc 2 (beginning of purr snickety is at the end of the track for french movie theme), and a different pitch for frail and bedazzled.
      also, the sp.com bonus tracks (download of the tracks on the tape) are tracked incorrectly, with a couple of seconds of two songs being repeated at the end of the previous song.

another big complaint is that high fidelity 24/96 tracks were promised and sold (preordered), but never made available. apparently, the highest available quality is now 24/44.1, as this is the quality of the \"source audio\" topspin received from the band.
      i haven’t checked what happened since, but it seemed like it’s impossible to get a refund from topspin. so some people are quite upset with this.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

yup. if you promise one thing, and do another, (as business), that is basically false advertising

manillascissor
      Keymaster

i personally don’t give a fuck, but i can see how others may. and how the advertisement was misleading.

Topspin: 0

Everyone else: 0

Arthur
      Spectator

Still waiting for my SPRC package… What is going on? :roll:

Viewing 32 reply threads

The forum ‘General’ is closed to new topics and replies.