Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Sven
      Spectator

I don’t know if this has come up before (search didn’t yeild anything), but I just noticed that the back of the Cherub Rock 7\" says recorded at Smart Studios (not Triclops – where SD was recorded). Could this mean Purr Snickety was recorded during the Gish sessions? It is a bit dodgy though, because the sleeve notes suggest both tracks were recorded at Smart, which obviously isn’t true for the A side.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

Good question. I bet Sven might know the answer to this. :?:

Arthur
      Spectator

Where did you find that info? Funny… could be a typo, as Purr Snickety is a Siamese Dream recordings demo, from the period December 1992 – March 1993.

Find more info here:

http://www.spfreaks.com/default.aspx?pa … 2&locid=17

Note that we also think an early demo for Bullet With Butterfly Wings was recorded here… :wink:

That is based on an interview Billy Corgan gave in Guitar World.

\"Believe it or not, the original riff from this song came to me during one of the Siamese Dream recording sessions. Somewhere, I have a tape of us from 1993 endlessly playing the ‘world is a vampire’ part over and over. But it wasn’t until a year and a half later that I finished the song, writing the ‘rat in the cage’ part on an acoustic guitar at the BBC studios in London on the same day that ‘Landslide’ was recorded.\" -BC (Guitar World 1/97)\".

Anyway, I’m derailing. Hope you got your answer, Woody! :lol:

Woody_B_Myst
      Spectator

Where did you find that info? Funny… could be a typo, as Purr Snickety is a Siamese Dream recordings demo, from the period December 1992 – March 1993.
      [/quote:14ke9wl4]

Hi Arthur!

Info is direct from the back of the picture sleeve, see 3rd line from the bottom:

http://www.spfreaks.com/default.aspx?pa … &item=4209

I did see that there was some speculation at SPFC: "Purr Snickety might have been recorded at this time [Gish sessions], rather than during the Siamese sessions."
      Source: http://www.spfc.org/band/studio.html?session_id=10

Arthur
      Spectator

Info is direct from the back of the picture sleeve, see 3rd line from the bottom[/quote:pv1a0uny]
      Hmm, yeah… it’s a clue indeed. When we presume that this info refers to the b-side only, then the history for Purr Snickety can be re-written… Let’s call Sven to the forum. Sven, your endless memory that always serves us well, is needed here! 8)

Sven
      Spectator

Info is direct from the back of the picture sleeve, see 3rd line from the bottom[/quote:368b809u]
      Hmm, yeah… it’s a clue indeed. When we presume that this info refers to the b-side only, then the history for Purr Snickety can be re-written… Let’s call Sven to the forum. Sven, your endless memory that always serves us well, is needed here! 8)[/quote:368b809u]

as lame as this may sound:

– Cherub Rock > the released version was for sure tracked at Triclops Studios, Atlanta, GA. This is where the album was tracked and from where the single and thus (it’s the same) album version of Cherub Rcok originates.

– Purr Snickety > this MIGHT have been in fact recorded some place at Smart Studios, WI. This is Butch Vig’s studio. The best estimated guess is, this was recorded somewhere during the tracking for Gish. I guess it was at a venue called The Moon the song was played live back then…
      [edit: found the date: http://www.spfc.org/tours/date.html?tour_id=58]

– as for: CR > this is an obvious error on the sleeve!
      notice how the other CR-releases refer to Triclops Studios.
      seems like someone just forgot to add Triclops, to the 7"-sleeve.

– as for: PS > from this error we can deduce PR was indeed recorded at Smart Studios, WI. therefore the thought of the song being recorded in the Gish sessions matches up quite nicely. Gish was tracked from late 1990 – early/march 1991. playing the song live it would have made total sense for BC to record the song before, for copyright reasons for example.

– as for: PS (II) > the song is an obvious demo recording. it’s in full mono and sounds even worse than Soothe for example. this could very well be a ‘boombox’ scratch demo take to just lay down the basics of the song to at least have a reference recording. no further work on this song in studio or whatever has surfaced or has been rumoured.

hope this helps.

not mentioning triclops isn’t necessarily a mistake. that sounds a bit too harsh to me. ok, the information is not complete, but it says that cherub rock is taken from siamese dream. maybe they hereby suggest that you check out the liner notes of that album if you want to know more about the track?

Sven
      Spectator

not mentioning triclops isn’t necessarily a mistake. that sounds a bit too harsh to me. ok, the information is not complete, but it says that cherub rock is taken from siamese dream. maybe they hereby suggest that you check out the liner notes of that album if you want to know more about the track?[/quote:2s4exc4k]

basically not mentioning Triclops is an omission. not a mistake. however: noting the songs were recorded at Smart Studios is a mistake. therefore… even, if CR is mentioned to have been take from SD… the production credit seems ‘wrong’ too… it’s un-produced in sound; OK: it’s BCs ‘production’; maybe Butch Vig turned him to recording this song and this was a late night recording or something… :)

then the correct credit would’ve been, at least to me:

written by billy corgan. purr snickety produced and recorded by billy corgan with butch vig, at smart studios, wi. published by cinderful music/mca music ltd. cherub rock is taken from the album "siamese dream". [et cetera…]

as i write this…: mind you!!!:
      – gish was published under ‘copyright control’
      – as were subsequent releases
      – lull then; switched the publishing credit to: cinderful music/mca…
      > so: for then on, BC’s publishing catalog was carried by and under that name…

– the CR single mentions cinderful music/mca for the publishing rights.
      – SD, where CR’s taken from, switches the name to: cinderful songs/mca…
      (later on the name is switched to cinderella and subsequently to other companies and all…)

so:
      – if the inferred recording date for PS is correct and thus in 1990/1991, the mention of cinderful music/mca makes total sense as indeed and in fact: this company would then per se have held the rights to the song, from then on, under that name…
      – this at least: ‘seems’ to give some little bit of more credibility to the ‘inferred "fact"’ PS was recorded somewhere during the Gish sessions at Butch Vig’s studio, Smart Studios, Madison, WI.
      – it’s not to far-fetched to think all and anything recorded then and there with Vig, would, contractually, have to be credited to both: Vig as producer, plus: to his studios.
      – therefore and thus: it makes even more total sense to allocate PS to the batch of recordings at Smart Studios, with Vig, for Gish; even as this is just a ‘scrap-demo’-take and nothing more…

also:
      – see how the publishing company switches to cinderful songs/mca for SD and thus for: CR!!!; clearly another ‘era’ thus…

Viewing 7 reply threads

The forum ‘General’ is closed to new topics and replies.