Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author

Arthur
      Spectator

BC is right…
      http://stereogum.com/906011/progress-re … ss-report/

It IS a different mix on the album…

Not only the mastering and all, but a different mix too…! :)

Check it out; they did turn the song around somewhat in terms of the arrangements and all…
      Just do a back2back compare to the original album and you’ll hear it’s not down to the mastering, but it’s the mix.

jgfox
      Spectator

And with the MP-version we do have 3 different studio versions of this beauty…

milan
      Spectator

Still prefer the version on Mashed Patatoes, of which the guitar effects remind me of Spaced :-)

jgfox
      Spectator

BC is right…
      http://stereogum.com/906011/progress-re … ss-report/

It IS a different mix on the album…

Not only the mastering and all, but a different mix too…! :)

Check it out; they did turn the song around somewhat in terms of the arrangements and all…
      Just do a back2back compare to the original album and you’ll hear it’s not down to the mastering, but it’s the mix.[/quote:1gmvsjox]

Hey Sven,

after re-reading your comment above, I now understand that you hear differences in the 1993 Spaceboy album-mix and the 2011 Spaceboy album-mix.

Billy’s voice sounds a little bit more upfront and by setting marker-points I did notice some slight timing differences, but to me these findings are not that impressive and possibly a result of the 2011 remastering and remixing.

Can you point out the differences that you have heard when doing the back2back compare, because I can not hear nor see them that clearly. Thanks,

davidp2007
      Spectator

I honestly hadn’t noticed. Although I listened to the remastered versions only once so far. I will have to check it out again.

I think you maybe right about it being a result of the remastering and remixing.

Sven
      Spectator

although digitally it doesn’t merit my claim, i stil belief this to be a slightly different version…

didn’t they switch the channels on siamese dream? (i’ve read that here and there. i didn’t actually sit down to check if they did.)
      maybe that’s why you perceive it as a different mix?

Sven
      Spectator

that could be it :)

jgfox
      Spectator

Swapped channels are easy to see, so I sure would have noticed that…

Sven
      Spectator

new listening comparison…
      15 playbacks, back to back… :)

1. when the strings kick in it’s much louder
      2. there’s a tad but more bass, when the band hits
      3. the lead acoustic guitar is more bright, *sparkles* even and has a very natural resonance (the wood)
      4. second time when the strings kick in, the cello is much more pronounced and duh, actually sounds like a cello…
      5. the strings do sound much more natural i.e. not synth-like when compared to SD (original)
      6. sustained bass guitar notes towards the final part are really loud and much clearer, you could even make out which notes are played i guess whereas SD is kinda muddy at times.

sure, a new mastering job could have done (part of this) but i still belief there were some totally new mixes made from the original takes that is. i’m not claiming this to be another take or including new / unheard takes or parts. it’s just that i am amazed that if Ludwig pulled this off by just doing a new mastering job, the record as a whole and especially this songs, sounds so markedly more sprankling and ‘open’ freuqency-wise. i still think there’s a part in the string arrangement i’ve just never heard before towards the third chorus when the high notes kick in. this might be due to a ‘buried’ loud at any volume original mix or mastering.

btw: the first guitar run down sweep when Quiet kicks into gear is really something out of this world, there they did a sterling job of fixing the muffled blast of the past into a dynamic shift towards real loudness… :)

Sven
      Spectator

then again, what did BC write in the liner notes for PI? i’m too lazy to look it up exactly but if memory serves me a little bit right, he was talking about his \"jaded little ears\"… well, maybe it’s just these pummelled eardrums of mine from too much concert going and festival PA’s… don’t know… when playing the new SD this week, the neighbours started to complain, so there might a point in case of the sound pressure levels I listen music at nowadays… oops… :)

still I think I can hear differences and especially the re-issue vinyl sounds like a massive monster…
      at least: on my Technics SL1200-MKII hooked onto a Dual amp. and KEF speakers… with the volume dial at around ‘eight o’clock’ it’s already way too loud and things start moving and trembling here at home :)
      imagine; it’s still a shame, but I cannot have other system here at home in Amsterdam where i live now as that was even worse. the beast powered so heavy and the enormous columns (5 way Magnet speakers) were rather prone to very flat response and clear bass waves so err, that would not work down here… it’s on loan now to a friend in Utrecht and in use as his sutdio set-up, but damn: I want the ‘beast’ back up and running as a total system with the amazing cd-players, pre-amp and end-amp :)
      oh well, will have to do with this now which is rather very very good too btw, so no worries; at least, I guess the neighbours do worry :)

jupiter
      Spectator

music can be enjoyed at lower levels too man.
      not calling you a dero or anything, just have a bit of consideration for others.

sorry, i have trouble with noise pollution here!
      :wink:

Sven
      Spectator

sure it can and noise pollution is terrible; there’s been some destruction of buildings going on here nearby and it just drains the energy to hear the constant noise from the works…

plus: basically a great amp delivers great output at low volumes too…

Arthur
      Spectator

Headphones, anyone? :roll:

(that’s what I do when my wife wants to see some tv, and me decides to listen to a CD, lots of dEUS lately)

aw yeah! deus! 8)

jgfox
      Spectator

Thanks Sven! I’m convinced. And maybe a little more deaf than back in 1993.

Arthur
      Spectator

aw yeah! deus! 8)[/quote:1xr5zvmj]
      Yeah baby yeah! In December I got all the albums and EPs that I was missing for a birthday gift from 2 people… It’s awesome to have their back catalogue almost complete now. 8)

Viewing 16 reply threads

The forum ‘General’ is closed to new topics and replies.