Viewing 39 reply threads
  • Author

Sven
      Spectator

[url:1i5juuqn]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&item=110264390336[/url:1i5juuqn]

FAKE or NOT ?

I never seen it before… 8)

Sven
      Spectator

looks real enough 2 me
      nice one

manillascissor
      Keymaster

That is pretty GD cool. Nice find.

ObscureD
      Spectator

In your opinion, how many copies exist ?

manillascissor
      Keymaster

One? lol.

I’m sure it’s 5 or less. Probably more like 1 or 2.

Anonymous
      Spectator

Very nice item.

I can see this clearing $1,000+ in the last bidding minutes.

Sven
      Spectator

for the Tristessa 7: there were 5 TPs.
      I guess somewhere aroun that number for the 12\" too?

manillascissor
      Keymaster

I guess somewhere aroun that number for the 12" too?[/quote:2zzq7ww0]

The 12" was pressed in DE. Is that where the 7"s were pressed? I know they are on Subpop, but they may have been pressed in different places, which may lead to different numbers of test presses.

mr.benway
      Spectator

I guess somewhere aroun that number for the 12" too?[/quote:31fynp3t]

The 12" was pressed in DE. Is that where the 7"s were pressed? [/quote:31fynp3t]

no, the 7"s were made in the us: mastering by k disc mastering (kdisc is etched in the matrix),
      pressing by erika records.

and here are some informations from an subpop collector:
      http://johnpette.com/discographies/subp … tm#SP%2090

the most european subpop releases were made by glitterhouse, later subpop europe / glitterhouse.
      – glitterhouse catalog-nr are ‘gr xxx’ and production info "glitterhouse records – under exclusive licence of Sub Pop"
      – later: ‘sp xx/yyy’ (vinyl) / ‘spcd xx/yyy’ (cd).

mr.benway
      Spectator

[url:1a09gjre]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&item=110264390336[/url:1a09gjre]
      [/quote:1a09gjre]
      auction ended, winning bid EUR 804,00 :shock: wow.

amnesia
      Spectator

[url:2001xgnk]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&item=110264390336[/url:2001xgnk]
      [/quote:2001xgnk]
      auction ended, winning bid EUR 804,00 :shock: wow.[/quote:2001xgnk]

GLUP!!! WOW,thats a lot of money!

Arthur
      Spectator

Wow, that is approximately US $1,268.55 says eBay. Amazing! :shock:

wowie. that is alot of money.

blueczarina
      Spectator

whoa, thats a load of cash. :shock:

i saw it happening. rather insane. congrats to the winner! :wink:

ObscureD
      Spectator

winner = Samderek

winner = Samderek[/quote:22r9blj0]
      i know. :)

manillascissor
      Keymaster

Sooooooooooooooooooooo……

This got me thinking. Until now, we’ve never known about the existence of this test press. Just like we have no idea about a Gish test press.

The original Gish LP on Caroline was pressed in DE, correct? However, it was on the Caroline label, not Virgin or Hut, or SubPop for that matter. All subsequent pressings were the remastered version, and pressed by Virgin/Hut.

This leads me to believe that since not one single Gish LP test pressing has surfaced in 17 years, maybe Caroline had a policy to destroy the test pressings. I suppose this can be easily disproved if anyone can find a DE test pressing by Caroline around ’91 for another band. Good luck!

Anyway, point is, I’m not sure a test pressing for Gish (original or remastered) will ever surface. Maybe they just don’t fucking exist. It’s the only vinyl w/o a test pressing associated with it. Correct me if I’m wrong.

MCIS has a test pressing, although it’s not on spfreaks. I used to own it in college, but sold it. Silly me!

blueczarina
      Spectator

MCIS has a test pressing, although it’s not on spfreaks. I used to own it in college, but sold it. Silly me![/quote:2shkx73w]

i bet your kicking yourself. :wink:

what, you sold it????????????????????????

oh goodness.

Sven
      Spectator

there are TEST PRESSINGS for ALL AND ANY vinyl releases…. always…
      if these survive is another deal…
      however: i’m pretty sure there have to be some copies somewhere for the Gish LP.
      since the three I Am One 7\" TPs have been accounted for for example…
      Anyway – why on earth sell a TP for MCIS 3LP??? ;)

Arthur
      Spectator

MCIS has a test pressing, although it’s not on spfreaks. I used to own it in college, but sold it. Silly me![/quote:3okcgm43]
      Silly… uhu? :roll: OK, we’ll do with silly in public… :roll:

Got pics from that college period (before you went all "silly") to show on SPfreaks.com maybe?

The original Gish LP on Caroline was pressed in DE, correct? However, it was on the Caroline label, not Virgin or Hut, or SubPop for that matter. All subsequent pressings were the remastered version, and pressed by Virgin/Hut.[/quote:ic3uo7ap]
      this is not completely correct. first pressing was indeed the (german) CARLP16. but for some reason they quit making those soon and released the (uk) HUTLP2. this version is not remastered.

it was only in 1994 that they released the HUTLP2X remastered version.

years later, an american looking version (CAROL 1705) was pressed. this one is also remastered. if you find a sealed gish now, it’s most likely this version.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

there are TEST PRESSINGS for ALL AND ANY vinyl releases…. always…
      if these survive is another deal…
      however: i’m pretty sure there have to be some copies somewhere for the Gish LP.
      since the three I Am One 7" TPs have been accounted for for example…
      Anyway – why on earth sell a TP for MCIS 3LP??? ;)[/quote:3giyn53y]

I think what I’m getting at is recognizing that Caroline pressed these. Not Virgin or Hut. The intial ones anyway, as confirmed by Cool As Ice Cream, below.

Point being, since this is the only Caroline record by SP ever pressed in DE, maybe there is a reason the test presses didn’t survive. i.e. – intentionally destroyed.

As for the subsequent remastered version, I do find it odd that one of these test pressings has yet to surface, seeing as how it was released in ’94, right around the time all the other accounted for test presses surfaced.

Seems rather strange to me.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

Why did I sell the MCIS? I needed money. That simple. Dumb decision, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

Funny part? Think I only got like $200 for it. lol.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

MCIS has a test pressing, although it’s not on spfreaks. I used to own it in college, but sold it. Silly me![/quote:2v5jle3w]
      Silly… uhu? :roll: OK, we’ll do with silly in public… :roll:

Got pics from that college period (before you went all "silly") to show on SPfreaks.com maybe?[/quote:2v5jle3w]

No pics Arthur. But, all came in white paper sleeves and that’s it. Mine had "Smashing Pumpkins" hand written on the paper.

Sven
      Spectator

well yeah but—

test pressings are sometimes found ages after the release…
      it doesn’t mean these were destroyed.
      most likely these were not.
      how many do you make? less than ten usually.
      sent out to band, management, whatever to check.
      then what happens? well – any extras might hit the market.
      any others might not.
      with the Tristessa 7\"TP if it wasn’t for Jonathan and Bruce one strange day selling a stock pile of old 7\"s to a second hand record store these might have never hit the market….
      so – same goes for the I Am One 7\" TP (3 copies, 2 with BC, one in a private collection now)…

most likely there ARE TPs for these Caroline releases out there still somewhere.
      there WERE TPs to start with.
      so there MIGHT be some still around, not many, but still.

so there you go – you have a debut album, you’re Caroline, moneywise or whatever you have it pressed in Germany, the plant sends out several TPS to check, one is held for reference at the plant and let’s say four are sent out, so well – i’m not surprised these haven’t popped up yet. one at Caroline for reference, one with BC, maybe one at Butch Vig for checking and reference… so two unaccounted for.. or something, it’s not that far fetched i guess…

as far as TPs goes I’m rather more surprised if and when these DO pop up.
      like this 12\" was is rather special in a way, but way way way overpriced in the auction…. still.

try to find the plant that did the press and bug them about the possibility of still having a reference copy TP left…

just today I met a guy who has reference copies of all TSP shows he engineered in Holland and Belgium in pre-FM quality which he’s gonna dig up for me as I bugged the hell out of him… So it’s out there somewhere and you can get it… same goes for the ‘Gish/Moon’ tape – research brought it here… I might have expected it to be lost, but it wasn’t.

so same might apply to these Caroline TPs… i.e.: don’t assume these were destroyed (these VERY seldom are!!! there are TPS for The Smiths for example featuring totally different mixes and songs NOT destroyed! just to name one), it will be difficult, but until I stand corrected I say these can and will be found with enough effort and research. it’s just I don’t give and f* about TPs for my collection – otherwise I’d tried my best to find these – then again: collector’s and practical knowledge learns for any release a number of 5 TPs is standard, below has to do with tight budgets, above is normally a case of TPs being used as in-house reference for the bigger labels or passed along as advance non-WhiteLabel promos, as there are also genuine WhiteLabel promos but these have the approved final mix/master/cut.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

any others might not.
      with the Tristessa 7"TP if it wasn’t for Jonathan and Bruce one strange day selling a stock pile of old 7"s to a second hand record store these might have never hit the market….
      so – same goes for the I Am One 7" TP (3 copies, 2 with BC, one in a private collection now)…

most likely there ARE TPs for these Caroline releases out there still somewhere.

so there you go – you have a debut album, you’re Caroline, moneywise or whatever you have it pressed in Germany, the plant sends out several TPS to check, one is held for reference at the plant and let’s say four are sent out, so well – i’m not surprised these haven’t popped up yet. one at Caroline for reference, one with BC, maybe one at Butch Vig for checking and reference… so two unaccounted for.. or something, it’s not that far fetched i guess…[/quote:xrrwx7z8]

Should be two, one for initial, one for remaster. None yet.

like this 12" was is rather special in a way, but way way way overpriced in the auction…. still.

try to find the plant that did the press and bug them about the possibility of still having a reference copy TP left…

just today I met a guy who has reference copies of all TSP shows he engineered in Holland and Belgium in pre-FM quality which he’s gonna dig up for me as I bugged the hell out of him… So it’s out there somewhere and you can get it… same goes for the ‘Gish/Moon’ tape – research brought it here… I might have expected it to be lost, but it wasn’t.

so same might apply to these Caroline TPs… i.e.: don’t assume these were destroyed (these VERY seldom are!!! there are TPS for The Smiths for example featuring totally different mixes and songs NOT destroyed! just to name one), it will be difficult, but until I stand corrected I say these can and will be found with enough effort and research. it’s just I don’t give and f* about TPs for my collection – otherwise I’d tried my best to find these – then again: collector’s and practical knowledge learns for any release a number of 5 TPs is standard, below has to do with tight budgets, above is normally a case of TPs being used as in-house reference for the bigger labels or passed along as advance non-WhiteLabel promos, as there are also genuine WhiteLabel promos but these have the approved final mix/master/cut.[/quote:xrrwx7z8]

i do happen to give a f*, and am reasoning that these do not exist. until proven differently, as you, i will feel this way.

Sickboy
      Spectator

I don’t think this is insanely expensive… I mean, any Nirvana TP is pricier… I remember a Love Buzz 7\" TP selling for approx. $3000 and the guy who got is, was really suprised he got is that cheap :D

Arthur
      Spectator

I don’t think this is insanely expensive… I mean, any Nirvana TP is pricier… I remember a Love Buzz 7" TP selling for approx. $3000 and the guy who got is, was really suprised he got is that cheap :D[/quote:1oifpkv1]
      Yeah I can imagine, sometimes 1 of the "normal" Love Buzz 7"-es reach such price!

manillascissor
      Keymaster

Sooooooooooooooooooooo……

This got me thinking. Until now, we’ve never known about the existence of this test press. Just like we have no idea about a Gish test press.

The original Gish LP on Caroline was pressed in DE, correct? However, it was on the Caroline label, not Virgin or Hut, or SubPop for that matter. All subsequent pressings were the remastered version, and pressed by Virgin/Hut.

This leads me to believe that since not one single Gish LP test pressing has surfaced in 17 years, maybe Caroline had a policy to destroy the test pressings. I suppose this can be easily disproved if anyone can find a DE test pressing by Caroline around ’91 for another band. Good luck!

Anyway, point is, I’m not sure a test pressing for Gish (original or remastered) will ever surface. Maybe they just don’t fucking exist. It’s the only vinyl w/o a test pressing associated with it. Correct me if I’m wrong.

MCIS has a test pressing, although it’s not on spfreaks. I used to own it in college, but sold it. Silly me![/quote:257xymcx]

Just wondering if this 180 gram vinyl is a new pressing? WTF?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2jcnwg8L5M[/youtube]

Arthur
      Spectator

Does it sound remastered to you? I don’t know, I can only hear it on my laptop and it just sounds \"quite good\" for a YouTube quality.

Arthur
      Spectator

Whatever.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

Sven
      Spectator

any others might not.
      with the Tristessa 7"TP if it wasn’t for Jonathan and Bruce one strange day selling a stock pile of old 7"s to a second hand record store these might have never hit the market….
      so – same goes for the I Am One 7" TP (3 copies, 2 with BC, one in a private collection now)…

so there you go – you have a debut album, you’re Caroline, moneywise or whatever you have it pressed in Germany, the plant sends out several TPS to check, one is held for reference at the plant and let’s say four are sent out, so well – i’m not surprised these haven’t popped up yet. one at Caroline for reference, one with BC, maybe one at Butch Vig for checking and reference… so two unaccounted for.. or something, it’s not that far fetched i guess…[/quote:1odhow5t]

Should be two, one for initial, one for remaster. None yet.

like this 12" was is rather special in a way, but way way way overpriced in the auction…. still.

so same might apply to these Caroline TPs… i.e.: don’t assume these were destroyed (these VERY seldom are!!! there are TPS for The Smiths for example featuring totally different mixes and songs NOT destroyed! just to name one), it will be difficult, but until I stand corrected I say these can and will be found with enough effort and research. it’s just I don’t give and f* about TPs for my collection – otherwise I’d tried my best to find these – then again: collector’s and practical knowledge learns for any release a number of 5 TPs is standard, below has to do with tight budgets, above is normally a case of TPs being used as in-house reference for the bigger labels or passed along as advance non-WhiteLabel promos, as there are also genuine WhiteLabel promos but these have the approved final mix/master/cut.[/quote:1odhow5t]

i do happen to give a f*, and am reasoning that these do not exist. until proven differently, as you, i will feel this way.[/quote:1odhow5t]

just trust me and read the web; before any vinyl goes to full press, there WILL be test pressings.
      so yeah for Gish, some for the original master; new ones for the remaster.
      for sure.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

yeah, i’m just trying to figure out which tp they are playing in this youtube video. us, de, or uk? original or remastered? and 180 gram vinyl? which pressing is that?

probably the test pressing for the november 2011 reissue. right?

manillascissor
      Keymaster

hmm, yeah. that’s possible, i never thought of that possibility.

:bananadance:

Sven
      Spectator

probably the test pressing for the november 2011 reissue. right?[/quote:ojclj87a]

would think so…

Viewing 39 reply threads

The forum ‘Collecting Items’ is closed to new topics and replies.