Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author

Honeymade Opiate
      Spectator

I’m not doing many rants on here, but this one is too disturbing to avoid. Some people know my extremist opinion about this subject already, but most new members don’t. Meet my other side.

From the homepage of sp.com:

\"May 02, 2008 – Pumpkins to celebrate their 20th anniversary with…

Recently Billy made some comments at the RockWalk with national radio syndicate Premier News & Prep. They include a notable blurb about some upcoming US tour dates.

The Smashing Pumpkins will mark their 20th anniversary this September with a special series of shows in New York, Los Angeles and their native Chicago. Frontman Billy Corgan says they want to make \"each show special, [so we’ll] have special guests at each one.\" Corgan says the band’s first decade was a lot different than the past decade. He tells us, \"[I] look at the first 10 years as sort of like a car crash, like whoa, what happened? And the second 10 years has been like rebuilding.\" –Steve Reynolds

Let the speculation begin!!\"

Blablablabla. Really, I have no idea how they come to 20 years. My @ss to whoever calculated that. Firstly, the starting year of the Smashing Pumpkins was, technically speaking, 1987. Why? Because James Iha and Billy Corgan recorded a song called \"I Fall\" in December 1987 and that was later released on a promo/demo tape with clearly the name Smashing Pumpkins on it. And remember that full page Metro ad in the Chicago Reader on December 8? It clearly said \"On behalf of Chicago and your fans worldwide – thanks for an incredible thirteen years, Metro\". Yeah, 13 years! Because they counted from December 1987 to December 2000, which is… 13 years indeed. Or is my Japanese calculator doing funny things with me here? Think not.

So, if you want to include the hiatus period, then 2007 should have seen the 20th anniversary celebration.

Oh, wait. Did I mention a hiatus? Yes I did. Oh my god, here we go again. Dear readers, did we ever see them play, those Smashing Pumpkins in 2001? Or maybe in 2003? 2004 then maybe? Or were they probably hidden behind or inside Zwan? D’Arcy disguised as Pez Lenchantin? Oh, and who went to see Jimmy Chamberlin Complex? Ssssshhh, don’t tell, they were our beloved, but too shy to tell the truth, Smashing Pumpkins also, yeah! My @ss once more to this. A hiatus is a hiatus is a hiatus. And that hiatus was 5 year or so. No way there was a Smashing Pumpkins band between 2001 and 2005!

To cut my rant short: in my opinion we are now into the 16th year of the Smashing Pumpkins. In every serious music history book should, and hopefully will, be written: Smashing Pumpkins 1987 – 2000, 2005 – ????. All other info is crap, is wrong, is besides the truth.

Give me any reason why I’m wrong. I’m really pissed about these things, how people can fuck up history. :twisted:

Satur999
      Spectator

well they never said they were celebrating 20yrs of pumpkins playing live… pumpkins were born 87/88 so the 20yr thing seems right to me but i do agree about the fact that it should have been in 07…

i do like this softer side of you… :wink:

blueczarina
      Spectator

You do have a point Arthur. I was wondering about this 20yr business myself. They did start in 1987 and it is a bit of a stretch counting the Zwan/Future Embrace/JC Complex yrs as The Pumpkins. I just hope they release some anniversary DVD or CD or something. :wink:

now correct me if i am wrong, but didn’t billy say something about a 20th anv. on the montelds video? not sure, but i thought so. so maybe everyone is just going by that. or they are just crazy?

want me to tase someone arthur?

blueczarina
      Spectator

tasing people bullet? :lol:

ok, maybe not. i have been in a mood lately.

Shannen
      Spectator

Miscalculated? :idea: Hmmmm send them to Math class

Arthur
      Spectator

Luckily, Billy Corgan corrects the timeframe in an interview with Fender. Maybe he read this rant? :wink:

\"So I’ve been very satisfied with the low noise floor of the DiMarzio® pickups, the high-gain application and the versatility, because I’m playing music from over a 17-year period of the Pumpkins’ history.\"

http://www.fender.com/news/index.php?di … rticle=259

blueczarina
      Spectator

i saw that. that should make you feel better Arthur. :lol:

and i love that pic with the guitars- very nice.

well, he probably did, and of course yet again, arthur was corect. like that suprises me. :D

and yes love the pic, and the one of him holding both guitars out. he must be very strong. *sigh*

Arthur
      Spectator

well, he probably did, and of course yet again, arthur was corect. like that suprises me. :D [/quote:2a39t9t6]

I just feel the need to put 3 8) to this. Here we go. 8) 8) 8)

i agree, 3 is just the right amount of coolness.

blueczarina
      Spectator

Arthur basking in his rightness :lol:

yeah, i would think Billy would have tired arms there.

yes, his arms would get tired, but that’s why i said he must be very strong, again *sigh* :D

blueczarina
      Spectator

yes, his arms would get tired, but that’s why i said he must be very strong, again *sigh* :D[/quote:12oc5327]

ditto :)

hehehe

Danni
      Spectator

Arthur:

I think 2007 wasn’t appropriate for SP with a 20 Anniversary thing going since that would collide with Zeitgeist.

Arthur
      Spectator

Arthur:

I think 2007 wasn’t appropriate for SP with a 20 Anniversary thing going since that would collide with Zeitgeist.[/quote:1awpparw]
      Yeah, true… And something else, in 1988 Smashing Pumpkins started to play live shows, and not in 1987. So it is also very appropriate for that reason to have the 20th Anniversary Tour in 2008. But once a year or so I need to rant about something, see? :wink:

Danni
      Spectator

Arthur:

I think 2007 wasn’t appropriate for SP with a 20 Anniversary thing going since that would collide with Zeitgeist.[/quote:2smsv5zg]
      Yeah, true… And something else, in 1988 Smashing Pumpkins started to play live shows, and not in 1987. So it is also very appropriate for that reason to have the 20th Anniversary Tour in 2008. But once a year or so I need to rant about something, see? :wink:[/quote:2smsv5zg]

I’m with you there, mate! :wink:
      I just want to have a near-Pumpkins-experience again. Hope they will come to Europe this year. Somehow….

Viewing 19 reply threads

The forum ‘General’ is closed to new topics and replies.