Viewing 22 reply threads
  • Author

manillascissor
      Spectator

For the FIRST TIME on vinyl, celebrating the 20th Anniversary, sees the release of No Alternative on 180g 2LP, numbered vinyl for Record Store Day.

For those who don’t remember, the tracklisting was as follows:

Matthew Sweet – Superdeformed 3:58
      Buffalo Tom – For All To See 3:36
      Soul Asylum (2) – Sexual Healing 4:45
      Urge Overkill – Take A Walk 4:39
      American Music Club – All Your Jeans Were Too Tight 3:33
      Goo Goo Dolls – Bitch 3:17
      Pavement – Unseen Power Of The Picket Fence 3:54
      Smashing Pumpkins* – Glynis 4:53
      Bob Mould – Can’t Fight It 3:49
      Sarah McLachlan – Hold On 4:23
      Soundgarden – Show Me 2:48
      Straitjacket Fits – Brittle 3:24
      Barbara Manning – Joed Out 3:52
      Verlaines, The – Heavy 33 4:21
      Uncle Tupelo – Effigy 5:59
      Beastie Boys – New Style (Live) 2:20
      Breeders, The – Iris (Live) 3:44
      Patti Smith – Memorial Song (Live) 3:33
      Nirvana – Verse Chorus Verse 3:24

geofolkers
      Spectator

My favorite SP song :) thanks for sharing!

Danni
      Spectator

I go with Matthew: SWEET

nice. i hope it won’t be too hard to get a copy though.

Spag
      Spectator

nice. i hope it won’t be too hard to get a copy though.[/quote:3h23yith]

Do you know it will be available in Europe too? I’ve send an e-mail to the organisation, but haven’t received a reply yet. And if not, what’s the best strategy to obtain a copy?

i didn’t think it was going to be available in europe, but who knows? maybe some copies will be imported?
      i’m not available on record store day, so picking up a copy in a record shop is not an option.

i just hope this release won’t be too limited. plenty of collectors of a number of bands will be after these.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

i’m not sure how big demand is, but i guess it must be higher than 3000.

if someone is able to pick up an extra copy, i’d be grateful to take if off their hands.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

i’m not sure how big demand is, but i guess it must be higher than 3000.

if someone is able to pick up an extra copy, i’d be grateful to take if off their hands.[/quote:1wh2b111]

i would assume these would be flying off the shelf. nirvana, sappy? are you kidding me? one of their best songs, imo. not sure i give a shit about any other songs on there, minus glynis.

it’s illegal to secure a copy beforehand, so you just have to get lucky or get there early. or live in wyoming. i’ll be on the lookout for you and let you know what’s up.

i think it will be very similar to the target celestials release, in that i don’t think many stores will receive more than one or two copies (typically). which by the way, i have for sale! (shameless plug).

geofolkers
      Spectator

About 2500 stores participate in the RSD releases. 3000 LP pressed. I’ve located 2 copies already. I’ll see if I can hunt down one for you too Bram

thanks, guys.
      don’t do anything crazy though. i’d like a copy, but if it’s too hard to get one, i’ll just be on the lookout on ebay for the next couple of years. no biggie.

and yeah, sappy worries me the most. this track probably brings in the most interest. (i don’t even think it’s available on any other release. at least not this version of the song. so hordes of nirvana collectors will be after this first-time-on-vinyl release.)

i also don’t think too much of this compilation as a whole. only a handful of tracks interest me.

also, what i’ve seen a couple of times, is that a record store day exclusive gets re-released later, not so limited. maybe this will also happen here? of course they don’t announce that in advance. typically they sneakily release it a couple of months later.

Spag
      Spectator

if someone is able to pick up an extra copy, i’d be grateful to take if off their hands.[/quote:35n4wl7a]

same here!

MayonaiseBoy
      Spectator

So I have an extra copy, they sold for $29.99 here in Seattle… and they still have 3 copies left at the local record store (I called 5 minutes ago).

I’d be interested in trading a copy for some other SP vinyl. I’m looking for:

– Tristessa pink 7\"
      – Strange Fruit 10\" (numbered edition)
      – Ava Adore 7\" (numbered)
      – Any of the Teargarden material on vinyl
      – That’s The Way (My Love IS) 7\" (red version)
      – Siamese Dream on vinyl

Let me know what else you’d be interested in trading… if you have something I needed to add a little cash too I’d be open to that as well (or vice versa).

Thanks,
      Ryan

i might be interested in a trade.

i think i have a spare copy of ava adore 7\". and maybe also the numbered strange fruit 10\", or that’s the way 7\". but i’ll have to check.
      another suggestion: 20 explosive … 12\"+7\", sealed. (compilation album from 1991 that includes SP’s cover of jackie blue. also limited to 3000 copies, just like this no alternative LP, if i’m not mistaken.)

spare ava adore 7\" (numbered): available
      spare that’s the way 7\" (red): available
      spare strange fruit 10\" (numbered): sorry, no
      (sealed): also available

Spag
      Spectator

Did anyone else notice that there are unnumbered copies of the No Alternative RSD release on Ebay? I mailed this guy who has several and he replied that: \"the last batch I received from Sony were the rare unnumbered copies that have a different hype sticker than the RSD issue. Most dealers did not receive these and are not even aware of their existence.\" So assuming this is legit, there must be more than 3.000 copies made available, right?

manillascissor
      Keymaster

pretty badass spag, thanks for bringing this up. how much for a copy. can you get me one?

Spag
      Spectator

Just sent you a PM.

pretty badass spag, thanks for bringing this up. how much for a copy. can you get me one?[/quote:1nfls4q7]

maybe those copies are part of the non-rsd release? (or would they be unnumbered promotional copies? what does the sticker say?)

also, what i’ve seen a couple of times, is that a record store day exclusive gets re-released later, not so limited. maybe this will also happen here? of course they don’t announce that in advance. typically they sneakily release it a couple of months later.[/quote:3eyb0lyn]

oh wait, i think i found some copies on ebay. the only difference on the sticker is that it doesn’t say \"record store day\". right?
      and on the back, in the upper right corner, the number is missing.

Spag
      Spectator

oh wait, i think i found some copies on ebay. the only difference on the sticker is that it doesn’t say "record store day". right?
      and on the back, in the upper right corner, the number is missing.[/quote:8ulhvd3n]

Yeah, I noticed the same. Curious how many were pressed. I send an e-mail to Legacy, but they haven’t replied yet.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

Just sent you a PM.

pretty badass spag, thanks for bringing this up. how much for a copy. can you get me one?[/quote:rk42wfhf][/quote:rk42wfhf]

thanks!

Viewing 22 reply threads

The forum ‘General’ is closed to new topics and replies.