Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author

bullettwoutbutterflywings
      Spectator

Alright, I got my DVD and watched it. It’s pretty cool. One of the things I liked best about it though was the interview Billy gave about the band and each album. :)
      Here is a rough summary of what he said. I though you all might find it interesting. I’m putting it in a new thread, because it’s a little long. Sorry if the transcript is a little rough. :wink:

Interview Segment 1:
      Billy talks about how over time the band became better songwriters and he became a better singer (but worse guitar player- joke? I hope). He goes on to say that the one thing that hasn’t changed though, was that they are difficult and will always be that way. They all come from an alternative world and don’t believe in doing things normally. When he sees people do normal things it makes him disgusted. He doesn’t like it when people do something just because everyone else is doing it. Then he talks about how when they started the band in 1988 (sorry Arthur :wink: ) nobody played heavy really and nobody played guitar solos for sure. He says that they were attracted to playing heavy because it was uncool, and when it became cool they weren’t attracted to that anymore.

Interview Segment 2:
      He is glad people can see Jimmy now that he is back; especially since some of the younger finds might have missed the chance to see the power he brings to a show.

Interview Segment 3:
      He says that all of alt rock now is copying their guitar sound. In alt music there is always conformity and they were truly independent people in alt music. They didn’t go with everybody else. They also brought a sweetness and an emotional aspect to alt music that wasn’t there before. Before SD, with songs like Today and Disarm, nobody was writing anything that was fragile and really had a lot of emotion. There was emotional defiance but the ability to really open your heart into the music started with them.

Interview Segment 4:

Gish
      It was so naïve and it was sort of beautiful as they didn’t know what they were getting themselves into with the politics of the music business. They were really just making music by themselves.

SD
      It was so idealistic and had so much hope in it. The music screams like a sense of belonging and opening up doors to the past and being willing to look in the face of childhood and not being afraid.

MCIS
      It was the epiphany of the band- when the band really became the SP. It was when everything they had worked for in the band became like a flower that just opened up (paraphrasing). They recorded something like 56 songs in a year. It was like the water just kept flowing out of them. (Billy laughs at bad metaphor choice) It was the best time in the band.

Adore
      It was a difficult time with his mother’s death, his divorce, and Jimmy leaving. It was like a letter you are writing to someone, but you don’t know who you are writing too. It’s searching and trying to find something to believe in and finding some things to believe in.

Machina
      It’s their last proud statement- an act of defiance from the band where they play their sort of music their own way. If you listen to the album the goodbyes and farewells are in the album for everybody.

The End
      He wrote a song once that says all good things must come to an end. He talks about how you want a band to end before it gets boring and lame and people lose interest. They are at that point where the band is still popular and important. He doesn’t want to wake up one do and ask “what happened, I guess we are broken up now because nobody cares.” He would rather they broke up while people still care.

The concert was in Nippon Budokan, Tokyo ; June 30, 2000.

sounds like a great dvd, thanks for putting the interview parts up, very interesting. i will have to see if i can find it on ebay also.

it’s just a bootleg. the dvd can be downloaded for free from places like the zomb: http://zombtracker.the-zomb.com/details.php?id=4829

Anonymous
      Spectator

Great post, thanks, blue. I enjoyed reading it. 8)

My Cousin bought me one of the same and I was really pleased with it, worth the money.

The torrent version that’s circulating isn’t as good, imho. The eBay version has better picture and sound, plus doesn’t have the annoying logo on-screen (bottom right) throughout…

There’s loads of them on eBay, bullet, you wouldn’t have any trouble grabbing one for yourself. :)

thanks for that info dazey, you are the best! (well besides arthur of course)

Anonymous
      Spectator

I feel so… Cheap, now. :cry:

Arthur
      Spectator

I feel so… Cheap, now. :cry:[/quote:14sy9fi1]
      Sorry Dazey, but it’s just like that. bullet and I both are into another passion also we found out.

Call me her tattoo groupie, just a hint. :lol:

Anonymous
      Spectator

I feel so… Cheap, now. :cry:[/quote:2vse7kik]
      Sorry Dazey, but it’s just like that. bullet and I both are into another passion also we found out.

Call me her tattoo groupie, just a hint. :lol:[/quote:2vse7kik]

Just please promise us one little thing, whenever you’re naked and feel like saying, "Wow!"

Do not have a "W" tattooed on each buttock, then bend over.

Thank you. :shock:

:)

you are all so silly!!

i found another one on ebay, i think i am gonna get it, but my money is getting a little low, i am going a little crazy with getting stuff. i think i need to slow down just a bit! :wink:

blueczarina
      Spectator

yeah, i probably need to stop the Pumpkin splurges too, but oh well :lol:

its a pretty cool DVD. i like even if it is bootleg. :wink:
      i actually started collecting bootleg stuff first though (CDs) , so thats not something that really bothers me.

yeah, cause there are only so many things that you can buy that aren’t bootleg.

blueczarina
      Spectator

yeah, cause there are only so many things that you can buy that aren’t bootleg.[/quote:39jnjcnk]
      true
      plus some of those bootleg are actually pretty cool. some of my favorite CDs in fact are a few of my SP bootlegs.

yeah, i love the disarm the pumpkins that i got from a good friend, and the secret berlin gig, those are 2 of my faves.

blueczarina
      Spectator

yeah those are good ones. i especially love my Live At Brixton Academy one. it has one of the best recordings of BWBW i think. it just seems like an especially energized performance. i have a bunch of others i really like too though.

oh, i will need that one then. there are a few that i really want, i can’t think of the name of one of them, but muzzle is great, and i just love the energy that they have live, it is like the album plus a million.

blueczarina
      Spectator

you should try to pick that one up. its pretty cool. it has high quality audio and some cool pics of the band inside the booklet. it ends with and mtv interview though that is kind of sad. its the one when the band is talking about the overdose incident and firing Jimmy. it just seems like they are totally abandoning him.

blueczarina
      Spectator

dang another double post

it’s ok, happens to the best of us :)

i put the dvd on my watch list, i will probably go ahead and get it, but i have to see if i win another auction first.

Viewing 20 reply threads

The forum ‘General’ is closed to new topics and replies.