Viewing 36 reply threads
  • Author

Sven
      Spectator

We have the SPFC, SPiFC, SPLRA en SPFREAKS… now it’s time for the SP Record Club

The Smashing Pumpkins Record Club (SPRC) is coming/it’s free to join/when you do you’ll get an unreleased demo from ’92 (also for free)
      [/quote:18ck6abx]

http://twitter.com/#!/Billy/status/103894080718774272

So… any ideas what this ’92 demo will be? I think (and mostly hope) it’s not Moleasskiss or Kitty Kat, but some song we never even knew existed.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

agreed! although, i would take anything from that frickin’ era. it’s the best, imo. :)

and it’s going to get its own single.

on vinyl.

perfect

some pumpkins
      Spectator

I’m excited for this

manillascissor
      Keymaster

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icFdnxLWi9U[/youtube]

Arthur
      Spectator

We have SPFREAKS… now it’s time for the SP Record Club[/quote:250ogn6g]
      Not! Not clever, Billy! We have the biggest Smashing Pumpkins records database already in the UNIVERSE, and beyond, and a little further again too, and now you want to do it all over again? Tsk, tsk, tsk… What a waste of time and money. Maybe you have a completely different concept then? Let’s see.

And the 92 demo will be FLAC and/or MP3 only, mark my words. Still a very nice gift though.

And the 92 demo will be FLAC and/or MP3 only, mark my words.[/quote:2u0hbcth]
      well duh.
      i’m not even expecting a FLAC option.

Arthur
      Spectator

Just listened to the YouTube interview that Derek posted. Now I understand it’s a different concept (sorry Billy, I’ll take my words back!), for releasing the material from the vault. OK, fair enough. The gift for subscribing to the SPRC will be a demo for the song Drown, I guess it will be a Smart Studios version from early 1992. Kewl.

And I’m very excited for the extra Gish and Siamese Dream material (extra cd + extra dvd), let’s see if it will contain really unknown stuffs. It will contain live material also, if I understand it correctly. Makes me very happy… And he mentioned again that the band will come to Europe, and will play Oceania songs. Awesome.

And I’m very excited for the extra Gish and Siamese Dream material (extra cd + extra dvd), let’s see if it will contain really unknown stuffs. It will contain live material also, if I understand it correctly. Makes me very happy… [/quote:7ezmp6qi]
      check out my post about the gish bonus cd on sp.com: http://www.smashingpumpkins.com/board_n … t&p=602301

i think these are the usual suspects: the songs that have already been released as a b-side on a single or ep, or as a track on another compilation.

for gish these songs are:

sun
      my dahlia
      i am one (limited potential 7" version)
      not worth asking
      tristessa (subpop single version)
      honeyspider
      jackie blue
      slunk
      bye june
      bullet train to osaka
      terrapin
      daughter
      drown
      siva (peel sessions)
      smiley

i already left out the songs that are on pisces iscariot. and i didn’t include the demo cassettes (unless those songs have been released elsewhere too). maybe they’ll put some demos on the bonus disc as well.
      not worth asking is also a candidate for a pisces iscariot bonus disc, as it was on the bonus 7" that came with some of the vinyl copies. so maybe it won’t be added to the gish reissue, but they’re saving it for the pisces iscariot reissue. unless they go for a live show as bonus disc there. who knows?
      and drown is already on rotten apples. so maybe it will also be left out here. unless they include the full version on the gish bonus disc. that wouldn’t be a bad thing in my opinion.
      anyway, that’s already quite a lot. not sure if they’ll add much other stuff. my guess is one or two previously unreleased tracks, just to give the diehards a reason to buy this. but that doesn’t necessarily mean those unreleased tracks will be new. these might be songs we already know, but that haven’t seen an official release before. [/quote:7ezmp6qi]
      if you agree that those songs are very likely going to be included on the bonus cd, that doesn’t leave much room for other tracks.
      i personally expect the really interesting tracks to be released via this sp record club. (i haven’t seen or heard the interviews about it though.)

Arthur
      Spectator

Yeah good points, from a commercial point of view. But, if Billy skips a few of them, it leaves room for Godzilla, the demo studio version (presuming it exists). Or STP (demo). I’m hoping for those kind of surprises, actually.

maybe it’ll be a little bit of both.

i’m just not expecting too much from these reissues when it comes to the extras.
      i mean, even the tristessa single version on cd would make me happy. i don’t need every unearthed sp song to be part of this, and i’m sure it won’t be. everything they do put on there as an extra will just be a nice bonus.

as a result, i’m not very excited. i’m interested though. i’ll definitely buy these reissues, no matter what they include.

Danni
      Spectator

I hope that Bury Me from Ignoffo’s Reel Time Sessions will make it as a bonus track.

Danni
      Spectator

Drown 8-track demo is available on smashingpumpkins.com

marigold
      Spectator

new artwork including the SPRC links on the main site

http://www.smashingpumpkins.com/

marigold
      Spectator

hmm I thought we were supposed to get an email about it if we had already signed up for SP news. I don’t have an email so I guess we have to sign up for the SPRC separately?

there’s also an extra item if you hover the mouse around the page a bit. :)

amnesia
      Spectator

Both tracks a nice…I find the Drown demo awesome, especially the last 5 mins. 8)

Sven
      Spectator

Apart from some static around the 5-minute mark I think this is the version we as die-hard fans have had for years… But: that’s just listening; have to do real comparisons…

Looking forward to more though and this was a very nice treat, already.

Arthur
      Spectator

Yup, Drown is pretty OK! :D

Apart from some static around the 5-minute mark I think this is the version we as die-hard fans have had for years… But: that’s just listening; have to do real comparisons…[/quote:va79t259]
      you mean the version that can be found on this tape? http://www.spfreaks.com/default.aspx?pa … &item=1686

i think the sprc version is yet another recording of drown.

also, in regards to that spfreaks.com entry: i don’t think the waterfront studios recording of drown is the first recording. it is an earlier recording, but i didn’t think it was the first one.

Sven
      Spectator

Apart from some static around the 5-minute mark I think this is the version we as die-hard fans have had for years… But: that’s just listening; have to do real comparisons…[/quote:13olt7u9]
      you mean the version that can be found on this tape? http://www.spfreaks.com/default.aspx?pa … &item=1686

i think the sprc version is yet another recording of drown.

also, in regards to that spfreaks.com entry: i don’t think the waterfront studios recording of drown is the first recording. it is an earlier recording, but i didn’t think it was the first one.[/quote:13olt7u9]

Second and third listen: i think it’s yet another one…
      And nope: the Waterfront-one isn’t the first one.

Sven
      Spectator

to be honest, we don’t even know for sure it was recorded at Waterfront.
      they told me they did do recording there (STP amongst others) but had no recollection of a taping of Drown there….

can anyone access spfc.org? it keeps timing out for me. i believe they had some information there.

the way i remember it, it says something like \"the band recorded drown at the studio of lenny kravitz, but they didn’t like the result, as it sounded too much like a lenny kravitz song.\"

manillascissor
      Keymaster

"…but they didn’t like the result, as it sounded too much like a lenny kravitz song."[/quote:1psrv10w]

i think lenny kravitz suffers from the same response

drown recording sessions, according to spfc.org:
      http://www.spfc.org/band/studio.html?session_id=12
      http://www.spfc.org/band/studio.html?session_id=13

Early 1992 – Waterfront Studios
      The band’s first of three attempts to record Drown. This one, recorded at Lenny Kravitz’s studio, was scrapped as the output sounded more like a Kravitz recording.

Mar 1992 – Smart Studios
      The second attempt to record Drown proved useless, as Jimmy began drinking as Billy & Butch set up and adjusted the sound; by the time the band was ready to record, Jimmy was literally falling of his stool drunk.[/quote:28yv8ffh]
      so, if this is correct, the waterfront recording was the first attempt.
      but that still doesn’t prove that that is the version that is available on that promo cassette.
      also, when was the definitive version recorded? also in march 1992, at smart studios?
      and where does the sprc version fit in?

Sven
      Spectator

drown recording sessions, according to spfc.org:
      http://www.spfc.org/band/studio.html?session_id=12
      http://www.spfc.org/band/studio.html?session_id=13

Early 1992 – Waterfront Studios
      The band’s first of three attempts to record Drown. This one, recorded at Lenny Kravitz’s studio, was scrapped as the output sounded more like a Kravitz recording.

Mar 1992 – Smart Studios
      The second attempt to record Drown proved useless, as Jimmy began drinking as Billy & Butch set up and adjusted the sound; by the time the band was ready to record, Jimmy was literally falling of his stool drunk.[/quote:u0ocsdts]
      so, if this is correct, the waterfront recording was the first attempt.
      but that still doesn’t prove that that is the version that is available on that promo cassette.
      also, when was the definitive version recorded? also in march 1992, at smart studios?
      and where does the sprc version fit in?[/quote:u0ocsdts]

the one up for free now is a new version, i think as of yet unheard…

the one on Singles was recorded with Vig at Smart in march 92.

so do you think that the one on the hut promo tape is the waterfront studios one, or do you believe that’s yet another version?

Sven
      Spectator

so do you think that the one on the hut promo tape is the waterfront studios one, or do you believe that’s yet another version?[/quote:39dzm4q5]

BC told me there is NO ‘Waterfront Studio’ version.
      He has no clue as to how this got into the world.

In 2000 BC did not have a copy of the version you mention.
      We did give BC a CD-R with same-said take of Drown.
      Later he told me: Yes! it was an alt. take; no: it was not from Waterfront St…..
      Yep: the band themselves didn’t have that version.

This is a new take.A different take, at least.

well, that’s interesting.
      also funny how there are things out there that the band doesn’t seem to own anymore. (maybe it’s still somewhere in the archive, but they don’t know about it?)

and yeah, this sprc version is something different. no discussion about that.

Danni
      Spectator

why not?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DFVVVMOcPo[/youtube]

Daysofthephoenix
      Spectator

Isn’t that basically just Tulips?
      Seems like an earlier version of it though.

Anyway for now it looks like he’s continuing the project, which is good news. :D

marigold
      Spectator

yeah, way to fool us with the different name of the song, I wasted 22MB of my data allowance. :roll:

amnesia
      Spectator

I wonder if Billy will release songs which are allready leaked? Like MP songs, or MCIS/Adore demos.

Nice early demo of Tulips/Barb Wire though :)

mirrorboxer
      Spectator

I enjoy the new demo. My question at this point is as follows; On Geek and Tulips you can hear the vocals in way far off distance, but why? If they are supposed to be early instrumental demos shouldn’t the vox be absent? I’m not complaining, just curious.

Sven
      Spectator

so do you think that the one on the hut promo tape is the waterfront studios one, or do you believe that’s yet another version?[/quote:asnlnks2]

that’s the one always labelled to be from Waterfront, but according to BC is not.
      they did try some versions at Waterfront but nothing came from these sessions.

Sven
      Spectator

did anyone notice the drum shuffle intro to Barb Wire and the guitars falling is almost identical to I Am One???

amazing how this very old one evolved into a full fledged SD-era song… :)))

did anyone notice the drum shuffle intro to Barb Wire and the guitars falling is almost identical to I Am One???[/quote:2ccygnll]yes. must be intentional.

Sven
      Spectator

did anyone notice the drum shuffle intro to Barb Wire and the guitars falling is almost identical to I Am One???[/quote:marypajl]yes. must be intentional.[/quote:marypajl]

my thoughts exactly… nice one though to mimick the drum lines and intro and then blow into a real SD-era riff… :)

Sven
      Spectator

I enjoy the new demo. My question at this point is as follows; On Geek and Tulips you can hear the vocals in way far off distance, but why? If they are supposed to be early instrumental demos shouldn’t the vox be absent? I’m not complaining, just curious.[/quote:3oyku114]

these are called ‘scratch demos’…
      the band records in the room with the amps miked and everything.
      bascially the band is on full blast then and BC sings a guide line vocal (maybe into a mic or not)…
      so: the band lays down the track live and on the spot and BC just sings some vocal line along with it.
      i do not believe he used a vocal mic so it must be some other mic(s) picking up his voice that’s why it’s so low in the mix; well: there IS no mix as this is just a quikc demo dump onto tape for reference later.

Viewing 36 reply threads

The forum ‘General’ is closed to new topics and replies.