Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

Cool As Ice Cream
      Spectator

I saw this on ebay
      http://cgi.ebay.com/Smashing-Pumpkins-A … otohosting

and i know what the aeroplane flies high is, but i have never heard of this. What is it, and is it real or a bootleg?

manillascissor
      Keymaster

This box set was made in DE and contains singles released in the UK (5) plus an interview CD that is identical to a different interview CD from another bootleg.

All in all, it’s a bootleg, w/ official releases crammed into it. It’s worth a little bit, only because of the box the singles come in, but it’s not an official release. To some, it’s worth absolutely nothing.

blueczarina
      Spectator

I didn’t know all of that. I knew you could get the singles elsewhere, but I’ve always heard that the interview disc was unique. I guess I won’t be buying that ever then. :)

manillascissor
      Keymaster

Yeah, nothing unique about the interview CD, other than the design. The interview is straight ripped from another interview boot.

It’s worth a little bit, only because of the box the singles come in[/quote:3bwh03ae]
      hmmm, that’s a weird way of putting it. i’d say it’s worth as much as the official singles that are inside. i consider the box and the interview disc to be worthless.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

It’s worth a little bit, only because of the box the singles come in[/quote:mgk33vzy]
      hmmm, that’s a weird way of putting it. i’d say it’s worth as much as the official singles that are inside. i consider the box and the interview disc to be worthless.[/quote:mgk33vzy]

Yeah, I see what you mean, but I do collect bootlegs too, as long as I like them and they don’t cost too much. So I’d pay, like $10 for that box I guess.

Sven
      Spectator

when this was released it WAS a cool item to buy…
      why?
      because Cherub Rock CDS was long out of print/deleted and not that easy to find and these did hit the normal record stores (at least in Holland I’ve seen several of them) and it was a nice chance to stack up on your pre-MCIS singles, never minding the ugly box and the useless interview disc for a price that was in a way given the ebay/eil/slcd prices at that time pretty reasonable.
      i always wondered how they got a hold of so many CR singles – the rest was pretty much easy to find, but that one was something else…

technically it isn’t even a bootleg
      same goes for interview discs
      it’s a so-called grey area release as it doesn’t as such infringe copyrights, but itsn’t officially sanctioned either by band nor management – techincally same goes for the Q101 M2 pressing and the other interview discs…

what i’ve always been kinda curious about was the point of the SD Wooden Box set.
      i’ve held this in the grey area part of my collection for quite a while.
      this is mostly due to the fact these things have been made for a lot of artists and a VERY ugly one for Tori Amos (I think it was Little Earthquakes) and no-way she or her management would have sanctioned such a thing…
      it’s basically a way of repackaging a release version cd and grey area releases are normally non-illegal and for order at normal catalogues in record stores…
      i think i will dive into the SD Wooden Box Set stuff and my archives from way back when once again- i know for sure Dave Asselin and his discography helpers and i concluded it was ok for inclusion because it was in catalogues, but there’s no seperate releasecode for the box and that’s where my suspicion has moved in over the years since- all and every release has a unique releasecode and even the original cardboard outer box doesn’t use the SD font, mention HUT/Virgin or whatever.

and while i’m at it—
      there’s eve a TRUE grey area release of sorts made by the band themselves!!!!
      save for some one-off items and the grey area Q101 limited to three copies winners copies of Untitled this is the most rare item in TSP history…
      in december 91 the band set down at a record store (have to see if i can find out where) on and afternoon before doing a signing or something there to make a box set to be given away to lucky raffle winners (a display/shopwindow contest for record store owners).
      the boxes where 10\" square and prefab and the band decorated each one with a unique pattern or ‘art’ or doodles or whatever with magic markers – which was quite a colourful mess I gather…
      these contained – gish cd, lull cdep, i am one flexi 7\", a band shirt and an autographed promo photo, plus although outside of the box because of the size – siva 12\"
      now what’s cool ánd funny is the inclusion of two UK only releases in a USA made box (which immediately brings up the question as how much the band themselves own in terms of worldwide release, because as of 1991 they did have copies of siva 12\" and the much much much rarer i am one flexi at hand to give away – funny even for the i am one flexi with the UK touring info is not much cop is it to an American who’s given gish on cd too?
      so boxes made these were all numbered out of ten.
      and duely disappeared….
      not a single one of these boxes (and trust me – i’ve searched and researched long and hard to find just even a battered and knackered box, contents or not) has surfaced to this date either online or in a collection i know of, but the information has been verified with several sourced, not in the least the band and is correct…
      so once again – all official (promo) releases and well: not officially label sanctioned, but one of the most elusive items still missing in my minor collection (compared to what some of you guys own – but that’s me and my terms of collecting…) a there’s even a band made grey area release of some sorts ;)

amnesia
      Spectator

Anybody knows how many was printed of those pls :?: :wink:

Sven
      Spectator

from the top of my head when this was sollicited I vaguely remember a number of only 1.000 copies which would make some sense in a way as to have aquired some overstock CR singles somewhere and then compiling the box and all and it does take quite some effort and i can’t believe there are an awfull lot of these around….

amnesia
      Spectator

from the top of my head when this was sollicited I vaguely remember a number of only 1.000 copies which would make some sense in a way as to have aquired some overstock CR singles somewhere and then compiling the box and all and it does take quite some effort and i can’t believe there are an awfull lot of these around….[/quote:2lx4mru9]

I see.looks at this.One copy for sale on Ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi … 0255510421
      I would not mind getting that,even its unoffical tbh

i wouldn’t mind owning this, but only if i could get it really cheap.

Viewing 10 reply threads

The forum ‘Collecting Items’ is closed to new topics and replies.