Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

Arthur
      Spectator

Is there a difference between the CD and vinyl version of this song? Just curious. Because I just bought a radio promo that explicitly mentions \"The End… etc. (LP version)\".

you mean the end is the beginning is the end (aka teitbite)?

i think \"LP version\" usually means \"album version\". it doesn’t necessarily refer to a medium (cd or vinyl).
      if they put \"LP version\", they probably want to say they just lifted it off the original release, and didn’t use a \"radio edit\".

except for some promotional vinyl records, this song was never released on vinyl, so it would be weird to refer to those releases to indicate what version it was.
      either way, as far as i know, there are no alternate versions of teitbite.

makes sense?

jawn till dusk
      Spectator

I agree.

L.P. just means long player,although some areas of marketing use the term for vinyl.

Arthur
      Spectator

I know LP as long player too, and in NL (maybe in Belgium too?) it is called ‘elpee’. But all these terms, at least in NL, refer to an album release on vinyl only. Normally the labels or whoever is in charge call it ‘album version’ vs ‘single version’ or ‘extended version’, whatever is appropriate. So to me this sounds like there was a special version on vinyl of this song. But no, I guess not!

jawn till dusk
      Spectator

Just had a look at my various formats of this,and they all seem to have a running time of 5.08/5.09/5.10.

What the running time of your promo?

manillascissor
      Keymaster

long play (LP) does, in fact, by definition, only refer to vinyl. so arthur was right. :P (according to wikipedia.org)

however, i think commonplace jargon has colloquially accepted LP to mean an album on any format. but, technic(ally), that is wrong.

Arthur
      Spectator

Just had a look at my various formats of this,and they all seem to have a running time of 5.08/5.09/5.10.

What the running time of your promo?[/quote:1kxr9fkc]
      5:02, see pic below. I still have to receive it, so I can’t tell much yet. Only that I noticed a lot of "jargon" on the tracklist lol!

jawn till dusk
      Spectator

Maybe this was taken in refference to the 12\" promo prior to actual album promos were given out?

Arthur
      Spectator

Maybe this was taken in refference to the 12" promo prior to actual album promos were given out?[/quote:hsse4dbr]
      Could be… However, this radio promo cd is dated June 13, 1997, and The End… was already out on cd single on June 2nd, 1997. In the same timeframe (May, June, July 1997) the track appeared on (promo-only) vinyl. And it appears to me that it is the same track, both on cd and on vinyl, all with the length of 5:08. Not 5:02, like on this radio promo cd… Interesting, but most probably it means nothing. :P

Viewing 9 reply threads

The forum ‘General’ is closed to new topics and replies.