Viewing 26 reply threads
  • Author

bullettwoutbutterflywings
      Spectator

pretty darn cool, here is what it says on sp.com

Singer-songwriter-guitarist Billy Corgan and drummer Jimmy Chamberlin of The Smashing Pumpkins will be inducted into Hollywood’s RockWalk on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 at noon. Corgan and Chamberlin will be honored by fans with a special ceremony at Guitar Center in Hollywood.

The Smashing Pumpkins have created one of the most acclaimed bodies of work in music history. Formed in Chicago in 1988, The Smashing Pumpkins released Gish, their influential and platinum debut album in 1991. Their 1993 follow up, Siamese Dream, went four times platinum and produced the hit songs \"Disarm\" and \"Today.\" 1995 saw the release of a double album, Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness. The album debuted at number one on the Billboard charts and spawned five singles \"Bullet with Butterfly Wings,\" \"1979,\" \"Zero,\" \"Tonight, Tonight\" and \"Thirty-Three.\" Following the release of this seven time Grammy® nominated and nine times platinum album, The Smashing Pumpkins contributed multiple songs to various compilations before releasing Adore, Machina/The Machines of God and Machina II/The Friends & Enemies of Modern Music prior to their break-up in 2000.

On June 21, 2005, Corgan took out full-page advertisements in the Chicago Tribune and Chicago Sun-Times to announce that he planned to reunite the band. More than two years later, Corgan and Chamberlin released the sixth Smashing Pumpkins album and first since 2000, Zeitgeist, which entered the Billboard charts at number two in July 2007 and earned a four star review in Rolling Stone. The acclaimed album also entered the charts in the Top Five in Canada (#1), New Zealand (#1), the U.K. (#4), Italy (#5) and Switzerland (#5), with more Top Ten debuts in Germany (#7), Holland (#7) and Australia (#8).

They also returned to the stage on May 22nd, 2007 in Paris, France before extensively touring the world including three overseas jaunts.

Hollywood’s RockWalk is the only sidewalk gallery dedicated to honoring those artists who have made a significant impact and lasting contribution to the growth and evolution of Rock ‘n’ Roll, Blues and R&B. The Smashing Pumpkins handprints will reside alongside the handprints, signatures, and faces of other equally accomplished musicians and innovators such as Eric Clapton, Carlos Santana, Johnny Cash, Elvis Presley, Bonnie Raitt, Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins, Marvin Gaye, James Brown, Brian Wilson, Stevie Wonder, John Lee Hooker and Earth Wind & Fire among numerous others.

Arthur
      Spectator

Nice. :)

i got this from a post on thepupkins.net:

LOS ANGELES (Reuters)

Smashing Pumpkins frontman Billy Corgan reluctantly accepted a low-grade honor in Hollywood on Wednesday, after revealing that he had spent a lot of time wondering whether it was \"a silly thing.\"

Corgan and bandmate Jimmy Chamberlin placed their hands in wet cement for the Rockwalk, a shrine of sorts outside a music instrument shop. A hundred or so fans turned up, outnumbered by the media and assorted band hangers-on.

\"I’m so used to bad vibes, people hating our band and throwing things at us. So it’s strange to be honored,\" Corgan told the crowd.

\"I had to think about it. I had to really lay in bed and think, ‘Is this a good thing? Is this a silly thing?’ I’m really honored. I’m really touched.\"

He expressed similarly mixed emotions about being in one of the most popular rock bands of the 1990s, saying membership in ’70s rock gods Led Zeppelin or Black Sabbath might have been preferable.

Clearly in a philosophical mood, Corgan said Smashing Pumpkins represented \"an existential extension\" of himself. The only problem is that he does not always know who he really is.

\"So thank you for understanding that part of me that I don’t understand.\"

Corgan and Chamberlin, the band’s drummer, are the sole original members of the Chicago band, which enjoyed such modern-rock hits as \"Today\" and \"1979.\" Internal dissension led to the band’s break-up in 2000. Corgan resurrected the Pumpkins in 2005, but without guitarist James Iha and bassist D’Arcy Wretzky.

He told reporters after the induction ceremony that he has \"zero\" personal communication with Iha and Wretzky.

\"They should be here today. This is part of their legacy too,\" he said, adding they were not invited.

\"Our door is open, but … if people don’t walk through your door, what are you supposed to do? You can only be rejected so many times. You can only have so many overtures ignored.\"

Wretzky, who quit the band in 1999, has largely left the music business. Iha has kept busy with a variety of musical collaborations.

edit** i am adding pictures–got them from the sp.com website

blueczarina
      Spectator

that’s interesting. i have to say Billy looked less enthused than Jimmy in a lot of the pics.

i loved jimmy’s look, he had the \"blue steele\" look. loved it!! and billy was happy, then serious, then happy, the \"blue steele\" with jimmy. over all the pink shirt was my favorite.

blueczarina
      Spectator

:lol:
      it was a nice pink shirt

yes. and it looked good on him too. he wears clothes nicely. except those strange sweaters. i can’t hardly get over the pic with the crazy sweater with the bill of the hat turned up. kinda giving me nightmares.

blueczarina
      Spectator

:lol: that sweater gave me nightmares too.
      he dresses pretty good now. not so much during the SD era.

yes yes, not very good at all, but you live you learn not to wear hiddious sweaters. i think he dresses very nice, and handsome.

blueczarina
      Spectator

i think his dress improved around adore. much more handsome. i think he looks better w/out hair for the most part too.

me too!!

i love the bald billy. he is so \"dapper\" now, and it did all happen around adore. do you think he \"grew up \" a little more then?

blueczarina
      Spectator

he does look more dapper. he might have matured more, plus the whole style of the 90s thing was winding down (good thing as it was mostly bad :wink: ).

was it ever, cause i wore that crap, and you know what, to this day i can’t wear a tight pair of jeans. they have to be somewhat baggy, and cover my shoes. it’s that crazy? and i dress my son in pants like that. i just really like it. for the most part i think some of me is still stuck in the 90’s. i am glad billy isn’t, nice pink shirt, not a sweater.

blueczarina
      Spectator

its the pumpkins, they are taking over your wardrobe.

i’m glad Billy looks better too. if only he would ditch the sweaters. do you remember the untitled video on the greatest hits dvd. he has the small, green, shaggy sweater. its horrible. :wink:

i haven’t seen it yet, that is one of the things on my list to get. but i will look out for it.

and yes i think they are. i am just glad it is not from the early 90’s now that was scary.

blueczarina
      Spectator

it was scary. paisley shirts, bleached pants, thrift shop jewelry, Jimmy’s mullet. :lol:

don’t get me started on mullets, ahhh

look what i just found on sp.com a video of the induction

here is the link

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid … 5366&hl=en

and, d’arcy’s bra’s with a vest and jeans, oh goodness, and those sunglasses they all wore. it is so funny, but sad, cause that is what people really wore then, and it was cool. oh, i’m glad my grandma used to dress me in those days. it was before i discovered comfy jeans, and huge hoodies.

blueczarina
      Spectator

cool, my computers being to slow to watch it now. i’ll check it out tomorrow. :)
      i’m glad it was filmed for those of us who couldn’t be there.

yeah. i am gonna watch it here in a minute.

billy and jimmy don’t appear till about 7:55 on the film.

billy lets jimmy talk first and stands there all embarassy hands in pockets.

i wonder what color socks billy is wearing with that outfit?

blueczarina
      Spectator

maybe Billy still thinks its all silly.

must, well i am gonna have to go to bed now. it is way late.

blueczarina
      Spectator

goodnight :)

Viewing 26 reply threads

The forum ‘General’ is closed to new topics and replies.