Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author

blueczarina
      Keymaster

If you plan on bidding on an eBay item, please keep it behind the scenes (i.e. PM people on here so it remains private). The reason I think this is because there are plenty of lurkers on this board now, and everyone is not a gentleman/gentlewoman.

I always alert Mayo and Arthur via PM or email.

Of course, you can announce it on the forum, I can’t stop you, but you may be inflating the price unneccesarily.

Just my thoughts. Anyone agree/disagree?

blueczarina
      Spectator

thats probably a good plan. :wink:

one thing i was wondering though- some forums have their threads locked so you can’t look at them unless you are logged in. maybe you could lock down a thread or something. then only the 15 or so people who post here would see it.

i’m not sure if you have that capability, but its a thought. :wink:

Thom
      Spectator

didn’t we have pretty much this discussion about a month ago?

manillascissor
      Keymaster

didn’t we have pretty much this discussion about a month ago?[/quote:2cow44ar]

kinda, but people still insist on announcing publicly about what they are bidding on. not sure why???

manillascissor
      Keymaster

thats probably a good plan. :wink:

one thing i was wondering though- some forums have their threads locked so you can’t look at them unless you are logged in. maybe you could lock down a thread or something. then only the 15 or so people who post here would see it.

i’m not sure if you have that capability, but its a thought. :wink:[/quote:gzmd3pv8]

I could definitely open a new forum ( and that’s a great idea btw ), however, I have no way to keep some asshole from getting an ID, going to forum, then going to eBay to inflate the price.

amnesia
      Spectator

If you plan on bidding on an eBay item, please keep it behind the scenes (i.e. PM people on here so it remains private). The reason I think this is because there are plenty of lurkers on this board now, and everyone is not a gentleman/gentlewoman.

I always alert Mayo and Arthur via PM or email.

Of course, you can announce it on the forum, I can’t stop you, but you may be inflating the price unneccesarily.

Just my thoughts. Anyone agree/disagree?[/quote:1oavnhki]

I agree on this 100%.There is just to many "sneaks" in here. :P
      Alternative solution: Make a locked sub-forum for the activ/trusted members, and keep out the lukers and 0-posters ? Dunno what you think of that.

blueczarina
      Spectator

some forums only allow certain people access to certain forums too. :wink: i’ve seen a few with secret sub forums that only certain people can access. i think we should do it.

and i’ve actually thought of this before for other things too. we tend to talk about a lot of private home stuff here, because we all seem to feel pretty comfortable with eachother. sometimes i think about who else is seeing it though. we are fine talking to eachother, but i think we forget its really not as private as it seems with our small number. maybe it wouldn’t be a bad idea to have that anyway.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

Well then, Arthurion to thread!

some pumpkins
      Spectator

i agree with the pm idea or the locked forum suggestion.

I also think the locked forum idea is a good one – make it so that it is only accessible to users who have reached a certain number of posts/been ‘active’ for a certain amount of time, or simply are given access by Arthur.

Arthur
      Spectator

Manilla, go for it. I think there are some features on this forum to do it. Not sure though.

blueczarina
      Spectator

I also think the locked forum idea is a good one – make it so that it is only accessible to users who have reached a certain number of posts/been ‘active’ for a certain amount of time, or simply are given access by Arthur.[/quote:3h6uf7yk]

yeah ^^ agreed. i think the people who are given access should only be the people who are actually active in a bigger way plus of course whoever Arthur bestows with the honor of an in. it would be a smidge retarded if the people who have only posted a small handfull of times got access.

manillascissor
      Keymaster

I’m not sure how this is going to work out, but I’ll give a trial run. Stay tuned!

blueczarina
      Spectator

its worth a try if you have the right stuff to do it with as far as forum software goes

manillascissor
      Keymaster

Well, I gave it a go, but there is not a middle ground area that I can assign to the private members; meaning, you would all have to be bumped to Moderator status and use the password that protects the site’s integrity. And that’s just not going to happen.

However, I would suggest (as the main point of this thread) to stop announcing auctions on this forum. It’s unfair to someone who could have bid against one or two people, but instead, upwards of 100 know about it and make their bids as well.

The only course of action I can recommend is to alert those members you feel would also be interested through PM, and humbly ask their cooperation. However, with that said, there is no guarantee, they can bid on the item if they want. If this happens over and over, you’ll probably stop alerting that person, right?

Thanks for all the suggestions, sorry I couldn’t follow through with the forum, but the software (or my brain) cannot figure out how to do it.

blueczarina
      Spectator

that’s ok :wink:

Viewing 15 reply threads

The forum ‘Collecting Items’ is closed to new topics and replies.